• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
The rest of Europe

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
not for me to turn down the chance to shit on the current government or Brexiteers, but isn't this a bit short sighted? I thought a zero tariff agreement was reached? Current issues are due mainly to lack of process being bottomed out due to the last minute nature of things but should hopefully smooth out over the coming months.

GarbColle

Sep 5, 2019
How does that work though? If you're making your cheese in the UK, you can't just open a business in France and move, can you? You still need the British cheese.

Or are the rules easier for B2B so some of these small businesses can move stuff between the UK and the EU easier if it's between "arms" of the same business?

AFAIU the biggest issue is that if you want to ship to multiple EU countries within one consignment, you will need to have declarations/clearances for each destination in advance, which is a huge amount of of paperwork that needs to be checked and can go wrong (and each country may have their own rules/requirements). Which is also part of the reason why many haulers stopped accepting mixed consignments from UK currently.

By having an EU branch, you will only need one clearance/declaration (to your EU branch), and then can ship within EU with much fewer restrictions and paperwork needed.

Dec 4, 2017
Yeah, over the course of the past 10 years i've gone from stanning BBC as a great neutral organisation to cancelling my TV license (Streaming Services Only excl iPlayer) because they dont deserve my money because of all this "both sides" pandering bullshit and providing platforms to more and more extreme right wing organisations. All of that can be laid at the Tories feet.
Hindsight is 20/20, but I think the Beeb would've been better off had they told the Tories to fuck off back in 2009, when they first threatened them with abolishing the TV license (if they don't bend the news to Tory tastes). Sure, losing the money from the license would've hurt immediately, but at least the Beeb had a good reputation which they could've leveraged. Now they're tarnished, and the average gammon doesn't watch them anyway.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
not for me to turn down the chance to shit on the current government or Brexiteers, but isn't this a bit short sighted? I thought a zero tariff agreement was reached? Current issues are due mainly to lack of process being bottomed out due to the last minute nature of things but should hopefully smooth out over the coming months.
British products being unviable for export into the EU won't smooth itself out

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018

I think the problem is that there are other costs such as health certificates which sound like tariffs with a different name, plus increased the friction and paperwork at the border. I don't think these issues will be going away and smaller businesses will be taking the hit.

OP
OP
Redcrayon

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm sure people will eventually make the best of the mess out of necessity, but 'Hopefully smoothed out in the coming months' doesn't help small businesses where the government has pretty much been telling them 'be ready for Brexit or else' for months with nothing but confusing guidance on what 'readiness' looks like. Let alone 'yeah opening an office in Europe instead is probably your best bet'.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
We just keep winning, we just can't stop. Thanks leavers for making this such a huge win for our country!

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hindsight is 20/20, but I think the Beeb would've been better off had they told the Tories to fuck off back in 2009, when they first threatened them with abolishing the TV license (if they don't bend the news to Tory tastes). Sure, losing the money from the license would've hurt immediately, but at least the Beeb had a good reputation which they could've leveraged. Now they're tarnished, and the average gammon doesn't watch them anyway.

The higher ups are mates with politicians, it will never change. They move in the same circles more or less. Hell, look at the Boris stooge who is to head it next.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
They did this for the chemicals industry too.
Basically, it's illegal to sell chemicals in the EU without an EU-registered address.
So everyone has to set up a company in the EU or get a customer or agent to assume the responsibility and registration costs of being the registered EU importing source.

EU companies have to do the same to sell to us, since we're creating and equal, parallel registration system.
This unfortunately means that if the UK market is small, we'll be dropped by EU suppliers unless the UK importer does a UK "dont-call-it-REACH" registration.

Overall, it benefits companies that sell within one territory over cross-border sales, but the net effect is negative and the UK is generally worse-off since we have a smaller market then the EU.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017

Before Brexit, everything between UK and EU was tariff free. After Brexit only some specific goods are tariff free. And even those require lots of paperwork and extra costs.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I was assured that this kind of outcome was project fear and they knew what they were voting for anyway

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In general customs related formalities are a lot of work. Even without tariffs.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
It still blows my mind that there were enough people in the UK stupid enough to believe the lies that were said.......it isn't even about propaganda and shit, it's about the fact that a lot of people in the UK have just given up on common fucking sense thinking and actually thinking for themselves as opposed to seeing a headline and believing everything outright.

Common sense would have told everyone that being part of a group of over 40 countries in collective power arguing for trade deals using all that leverage of the giant market size of said countries is better than 1 tiny island nation and some stolen land on another island nation doing it alone......but racism sure is a hell of a drug.

These are the same people who act like thatcher was great because she "broke the unions" as if that's a good fucking thing.....because union works the exact same way as the EU arguing for trade deals via collective power......It's always insane to me that people claim thatchers union busting was good when they're working class people who bitch about how bad their employers treat them.....well there is a clear way that could be stopped but God forbid unions are ever a thing right?

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shit like this is mere prelude.

The government have done the most pathetically inept job they could possibly have done in preparing for this shitshow. They've had years to get ready for this... YEARS!

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of trade agreements, having zero tariffs and no quotas for most goods is very nearly the bare minimum. That kind of deal still leaves a lot of structural non-tariff barriers. Some of the issues that traders are bumping into are procedural misunderstandings that will go away with time as people learn how to fill out forms and follow processes.

Others, however, are those structural barriers. They're not going away. They're things like the difficulty of running an EU distribution hub from a non-EU country, the need to have EU-resident customs agents, the checks on animal products, and almost total exclusion of services, and so on. Some unknown percentage of businesses in both the UK and EU are currently assuming that some of these things are oversights, to be fixed later, when in reality, they're near-permanent (an EFTA-like agreement would remove or mitigate some of those issues, but that kind of relationship would require the UK to move into a completely different political universe).

Indeed, some of the issues that businesses are currently experiencing are likely to get worse. Many businesses held off on GB<->EU trade during January, as best as they could - once they start trading they will start hitting all the same issues, except in a system that's going to be much closer to capacity. The UK requirement for international sellers to collect VAT is causing issues - the EU will introduce a similar system in less than 6 months and GB->EU sellers will have to start dealing with that. Companies with large supply chains that move product between GB and EU are probably currently combating supply issues by firefighting them with ad hoc solutions, but they'll shift to structural changes that exchange the problematic parts for non-problematic ones. Distribution hubs face an existential problem. Any export-focused businesses that were borderline viable pre-Brexit are now probably non-viable. Other formerly solid businesses will become the new borderline of viability, at risk from even small potential changes - it may not be Brexit that kills them in the end, but it'll be Brexit that puts them in harm's way.

When things smooth out, that's how the smoothening will look. The current situation looks like a catastrophe, but once things settle down it should improve all the way up to being just a major disaster.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2 of the old pharmaceutical companies I used to work for acted as hubs for EU distribution.....Brexit as predicted, is gonna make their existence fundermentally useless if it's cheaper to relocate to Europe.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020

The VAT situation isn't going to change.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017

That is the complete opposite of what is going to happen, we have yet to see all the border controls fully implemented, we're in the implementation phase, things we will only get worse from here, and way worse probably round about June. We will never see "smooth" trade again with the EU (unless we re-enter both the single market and customs union).

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

Most of the issues aren't even tariffs.

- You need an ungodly amount of paperwork
- you need to pay for specific EU certificates, in one example (Cesshire Cheese) the company needs food safety certificates which already bite into the narrow margins and makes it sometimes completely uneconomic to export into the EU without raising prices
- the complete cargo could be banned from entering the EU without the correct paperwork
- for example there are several food and animal product exporters who don't find any haulers to accept their wares because the risk of getting denied entry for the whole cargo is too big, this will be a lesser issue in the coming months and years with more experience from the haulers and better paperwork from the exporter, but how many will close in the mean time?

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Predictable and predicted.

However, these issues will get resolved over time and the market will adapt to those that can't be solved. There will be no great collapse and life will continue, even though more people will be disillusioned with politics because Brexit did not deliver on the lies that were used to sell it to the gullibles.

All that said, I expect Britain to eventually want to rejoin the EU within my lifetime.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Small UK businesses got conned into thinking that a brexit Britain will mean the UK goverment will support them more and they'd be able to make more money without pesky EU politicans telling them what to do. Who would've thought that the Tories only implemented Brexit to cater to big banks and US corporations wanting to bypass EU laws?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
It's perfectly fine as long as you absolutely never export anything.

So, you know, I'm sure that's extremely viable as a market strategy, right?

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
This is an utterly ludicrous situation.

How very different it's all starting to look now.

Tarnished in the eyes of whom?

They're still the most trusted news source by far.

Still thoroughly appreciate their output, myself.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Move to the EU to take back control and own the EU.

Top men in the british politics. Top. men.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
2 of the old pharmaceutical companies I used to work for acted as hubs for EU distribution.....Brexit as predicted, is gonna make their existence fundermentally useless if it's cheaper to relocate to Europe.
Not that the company I work for would admit it, buy I don't believe it's a coincidence that the site I work at has been winding down for the last couple of years in preparation for it closing in December(it was actually supposed to close last month) and gradually moving the products we make to India and China where it's cheaper to manufacture.

OP
OP
Redcrayon

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Move to the EU to take back control and own the EU.

Top men in the british politics. Top. men.

Not that the company I work for would admit it, buy I don't believe it's a coincidence that the site I work at has been winding down for the last couple of years in preparation for it closing in December(it was actually supposed to close last month) and gradually moving the products we make to India and China where it's cheaper to manufacture.
This is like when they said it would be great for British jobs, followed by a pile of large companies able to foresee the problem immediately closing down their UK operations and moving their European sales base onto the continent. It's just that small UK companies didn't have the advantage of risk averse experienced planners from multinational companies able to see the writing on the wall and what Brexit would actually mean.

Which then makes you wonder who Boris, Farage and co were lying to more. Us in that anyone with any vague multinational business sense knew this would be a disaster, or themselves in thinking that removing ourselves from the EU based on nothing more than British exceptionalism would be in any way likely to succeed. Then you've got all the tabloid cheerleaders for it, being offshore media barons who base their companies and taxes... not in the UK.

Turns out that being a small country only attached by road to a trade group of dozens of countries is not the high trade seas of the colonial era that they all claimed it was. Who knew. Apart from 17m of us.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Tarnished in the eyes of whom?

Well, I clicked on to their intentional bias reporting back in 2014 so - in my eyes - they tarnished all their news reporting credibility and reputation.

And let's not ignore that the new BBC Chairman is a massive tory donor so that's an extra sprinkle of tarnish right there. You can't expect me to believe that the BBC will be fair and balanced and certainly not be the "mouthpiece of the conservative party" now. Not a cat in hell's chance.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I clicked on to their intentional bias reporting back in 2014 so - in my eyes - they tarnished all their news reporting credibility.

And let's not ignore that the new BBC Chairman is a massive tory donor so that's an extra sprinkle of tarnish right there. You can't expect me to believe that the BBC will be fair and balanced and certainly not be the "mouthpiece of the conservative party" now. Not a cat in hell's chance.

What day to day influence does the chairman have though?

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of valid criticisms out there, and they're not perfect, but they're also nowhere near as bad as some like to make out.

Whether that's elements of the left or elements of the right (the latter of which despise the BBC for having the gall to exist as a publicly funded broadcaster).

(That's not a 'both sides criticise them so they're brilliant' angle - just highlighting that I've read diverse critiques)

I read this recently, and think it's a very fair (and well sourced) overview of the battle against it (from differing segments). It's not a blanket rebuttal of the criticism like the title implies, it's very balanced and acknowledges that there's things which need to improve - but the takeaway argument is that it's nowhere near as bad as some like to make out/we'd be worse off without it.

www.goodreads.com

The War Against the BBC

There's a war on against the BBC. It is under threat as never before. And if we lose it, we won't get it back.The BBC is our most importa...

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'd be happy to lose the BBC's news arm. Channel 4 and Sky have been outperforming them for years now.

I'll change my tune when they stop platforming antivaxxers, lockdown "sceptics", racists, nazis and transphobes.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy to lose the BBC's news arm. Channel 4 and Sky have been outperforming them for years now.

I'll change my tune when they stop platforming antivaxxers, lockdown "sceptics", racists, nazis and transphobes.

I'm pretty sure Sky have been guilty of the above too!

I like all three though - Sky/BBC are broadly pretty similar in output (even down to running order of stories at times lol), although I think the BBC is probably better at focusing on smaller-scale stories which might otherwise get overlooked, and Sky sometimes strike me as better for breaking news.

I need to watch Channel 4 news more though - used to watch it regularly but recently I find myself remembering about it after it's finished!

I am deeply worried about GB News and that Murdoch thing launching though. Prepare for half an hour of news, and the rest of the schedule filled with right-wing jocks going on rants.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
What day to day influence does the chairman have though?

His connections to the Tories (specifically Johnson and Sunak) alone justifies that he'll implement some form of conservative influence onto the BBC from the high level. And of course it is obvious that in a corporation, higher-up CEO/Boss influence predictably trickles down to middle-managers and employees on a day to day basis. If you're not with it then you're expected to either fall in line or leave.

As well as cronyism, given the history of lying and "under the table" untrustworthy activities that goes on in the conservative party, you can't then expect me to believe that things like the example below is "a mistake" and that there was zero influence from sympathetic tories within the BBC.

V0TS2RU.png

www.goodreads.com

The War Against the BBC

There's a war on against the BBC. It is under threat as never before. And if we lose it, we won't get it back.The BBC is our most importa...

Oh interesting, always open to reading and expanding my understanding. Will consider this. Thank you

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
Sucks for us in Ireland, a lot of shelves empty in super markets. My 3080 is stuck with UPS because of delays. So annoying. Amazon will probably never set up a proper depo here so we relied on the UK one. Now with it gone I don't know what will happen

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks for us in Ireland, a lot of shelves empty in super markets. My 3080 is stuck with UPS because of delays. So annoying. Amazon will probably never set up a proper depo here so we relied on the UK one. Now with it gone I don't know what will happen
Amazon has started shipping goods from their European fulfilment centers to Ireland by sea (and air).

ASOS has also switched to its Berlin warehouse to serve the whole EU.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
All this because of a fucking non-binding referendum. This is David Camerons legacy.

Yep, this bullshit being caused by tories wanting to shore up their chances of keeping power and having the belief that enough people in the UK would understand the huge economic, trade and other policies that made the EU function with the UK, and thus never vote to leave was the biggest mistake these idiots have ever made. I mean honestly, assuming the general population would understand even just the important details of why leaving the EU was bad, let alone all the other issues that were harder to explain was a stupid idea, considering the UK was and still is full of enough idiots to have elected the tories even after years of pain caused by cuts they kept pushing.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Joining CPTPP will make up for it, right? Right? /s Oh wait, the non tariff barriers with Japan don't go away magically, and they're far away. Government seriously is banking on joining that agreement for a big 'win' they can sell.