• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Can we just take a minute to appreciate this? I know it's a bad time but it is amazing how it feels to breathe cleaner air (I'm not in Nepal) and this is one of two things I am glad has happened thanks to the pandemic.

On 10 May, for the first time almost anyone can remember, Mt Everest was visible from Kathmandu. From Chobar, Abhushan Gautam photographed the highest mountain in the world 200km away to the east, spotlit by the setting sun. Last week from Sarlahi district in the plains bordering India, journalist Chandra Kishore could see right across Nepal to Mt Langtang on the Chinese border.

Mt-Everest-seen-from-Kathmandu-during-the-lockdown-NT.jpg

Before COVID

COVID-19-proves-that-Kathmandu-can-be-cleaned-up-2-min-1024x1536.jpg

After
More at the link.

Last edited:

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing, I was only able to see it on the plane to Bhutan during my trip. The air quality in Kathmandu normally is pretty bad.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
This is like when you go camping and suddenly remember how pretty stars can be.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I know it won't but I hope these positive environmental effects result in some change when the global situation is a bit more normalized. But instead I anticipate articles like "following increased production to make up for economic downturns during covd, visibility in Nepal now at 6cm"

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
Which one is before and which is after? Why not take two shots of the same view so its easy to compare?

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
We really messed up our environment. I love the amenities of course but there needs to be a better middle ground so gorgeous stuff like this can thrive as well.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP, you really should have put the image descriptions for those. Like they are clearly not a before and after of the same mountains.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I feel stupid but the two pics have nothing in common? Where is Everest supposed to be in the first one? The low mountain that's going across in the front of it in the second one doesn't look like anything in the first one.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Likely because its significantly further away than the mountains in the foreground.

It's also due to topographic prominence. Everest is impressive but the whole region, even populated areas, are very high up. When the other highest mountains in the world are right next to you it doesn't look as impressive.
everest-makalu.jpg

Meanwhile anyone who has been in the Seattle area will tell you how impressive the volcanoes in the region look. The surrounding cascade mountains are big but the voclanoes just tower over everything.

tour_img-1747264-148.jpg

Mt. Baker here is basically at the Canadian Border, 130 miles away.
43004f42ea1771ddd0391c6a756233dd.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
The second pic, the arrow is pointing to the peak of Everest, which is peaking out behind the closer mountain. The distance means it's "lower".

Not sure why the article chose the other pic to portray the 'before'

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think I'm being thick here but those are two photos of completely different mountains aren't they?!

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think I finally understood the images. Maybe. If you take the 2nd one and remove all colors from the mountain range and cut everything on the left+right then you get the mountain range from the 1st pic. You basically need to create a shadow silhouette from the center part and it will match. I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.