• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
What is actually going on? As someone who has put hundreds of hours into Warband, the long dev cycle makes me somewhat happy that the game will probably be at its best when it releases but surely 8 years is a bit too much? I don't really care about graphics in video games if the gameplay is great but when/if it comes out it will be viewed as outdated and possibly lose a lot of money because of it. Fans of the series will stick with it because we know how good the immersion and the gameplay is but that can't be said for the general gaming public.

Bannerlord when? has become a meme akin to HL3 and the M&B community is slowly losing its mind. We had promises of open beta back in 2016, fucking 2016!

giphy.gif

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Don't worry we'll get 1 more video followed by another year of silence soon.
That 2016 Steam page got my hopes up. Now it's just forget it til it's out.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least they're still constantly releasing new info and videos. Or at least I see some new Bannerlord stuff every couple months lol

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It's coming with Final Fantasy 7 Remake, but yeah, i dunno what's taking them so long to release this.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Every couple years or so Bannerlord pops into my head, I assume I missed the release, check the Steam store page, and am surprised that it's STILL under development.

OP
OP
Trice

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Well, at least they're still constantly releasing new info and videos. Or at least I see some new Bannerlord stuff every couple months lol
They're on the road to release a dev blog about the janitor and his quirky ideas that influenced how the horse dump particles affect the soldier morale.

But at least they're talking to us.....it's torture.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
If they're able to keep it in development for so long, where are they getting the money from? Are they making other games at the same time or something?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
2019 release date pls.
If they're able to keep it in development for so long, where are they getting the money from? Are they making other games at the same time or something?
Mount&Blade did very well for them. They even went independant after partnering with Paradox for a time, too, IIRC.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
It's sad really. I mean I know it's a super small studio that's working on this game and all but this can't be normal. Its reeking of vaporware at this point.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
2019 release date pls.

Mount&Blade did very well for them. They even went independant after partnering with Paradox for a time, too, IIRC.

But enough to pay everyones salaries for 8 years and all their other expenses? It seems impossible for one smallish game to keep a company going for that long. 😕

Jul 8, 2018
It's sad really. I mean I know it's a super small studio that's working on this game and all but this can't be normal. Its reeking of vaporware at this point.
Isn't this game funded by the Turkish government? Might explain the current situation.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Just surprised more games haven't cloned it's gameplay yet. We got War of the Roses and Chivalry, but where are all the fantasy games at? A Warhammer game that played like M&B would sell a ton.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It's clear the devs have bit off more then they can chew. Still is odd though to take 8 years to develop this with very little to show for it.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Just surprised more games haven't cloned it's gameplay yet. We got War of the Roses and Chivalry, but where are all the fantasy games at? A Warhammer game that played like M&B would sell a ton.

That's why the whole "the gaming market is overcrowded we need curation and fewer devs releasing games" argument is bullshit.
Where are the clones to:
- M&B
- X4
- Rimworld/Dwarf Fortress
- Stardew Valley
- Aurora 4X
- Transport Tycoon Deluxe
- Factorio
- Civilization
- the whole Paradox 4X division
- Supreme Ruler
- Anno

Those are all games that sold Millions or have dedicated Fanbase's decades into the lifetime of the game.
But no, most devs just want to release yet another 2d Platformer (with a twist!) and moan about the market afterward.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah it's crazy. I'm there every Thursday for the dev blogs hoping for something. I mean they are making progress and the game looks really good and they're clearing putting a ton of thought into everything they do and the modding capabilities and potential seems unreal, but the wait and their avoidance of release talk hurts my soul.

Isn't this game funded by the Turkish government? Might explain the current situation.
Pretty sure the money they get from that doesn't come close to covering all their costs. I think they just made, and continue to make, a decent chunk of money from M&B and various expansions sales and due to much of the revenue being made out of country combined with the much lower wages in Turkey they can afford to stay in development for so long.

Necrocorpse

Nov 17, 2018
London, UK
Game is most certainly in some kind of a development hell. Who knows, maybe they have rewritten the game once or twice already and/or have financial issues given the political issues going on there. I hope for the best though.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
8 years seems long, but maybe it's because they announced it the moment they began work on it. You know, other games take nearly 10 years to make, but they also announce it's existence about a year before it's ready to be released.

I don't mind waiting. Plenty of other games to play in the meantime, such as Warband haha. I was gonna say stuff like hope they take their time to make the best game they can, but they seem to already be on that path.

Freeman is basically mount and blade but in a modern setting with guns instead of swords.

It is also fantastic, I recommend it if you are into M&B:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/773951/Freeman_Guerrilla_Warfare/

I do not recommend this game. I tried it for hours and eventually gave up on it. It's not very fun.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
That's why the whole "the gaming market is overcrowded we need curation and fewer devs releasing games" argument is bullshit.
Where are the clones to:
- M&B
- X4
- Stardew Valley
- Aurora 4X
- Factorio
- Civilization
- Supreme Ruler
- Anno

Those are all games that sold Millions or have dedicated Fanbase's decades into the lifetime of the game.
But no, most devs just want to release yet another 2d Platformer (with a twist!) and moan about the market afterward.

Satisfactory?

I agree with the broad thrust of your point, just wanted to highlight a similar game in case you were looking for one.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm happy playing M&B forever until Bannerlord comes out. They can take all the time in the universe as long as the game is a complete and tasty package. I've got their back, day 1.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This has been my most anticipated game for years. I need it.

I get the impression that they've been increasing the scale of the game from the dev logs. There was also an engine switch IIRC. Better to release a great game in 8-9 years than an Anthem in 7, anyway.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Satisfactory?

I agree with the broad thrust of your point, just wanted to highlight a similar game in case you were looking for one.

I know of Satisfactory, it was an instant buy previously, just to support those type of games.
But, you know, Epic exclusivity and THQ... It is on hold for me. It must be a smash hit in the gameplay department to get into my conscious again.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If they need funds, they can do a kickstarter and I'll insta-back them.
I'm happy playing M&B forever until Bannerlord comes out. They can take all the time in the universe as long as the game is a complete and tasty package. I've got their back, day 1.
The problem is they don't have all the money in the universe, so the longer it takes the greater the probability that we never see a final product.

Herlaking

Oct 26, 2017
From what I've heard the Turkish government has university students intern at Taleworlds to build a development "scene".
If that's true, they're in no rush.

Still, I believe in September.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like there's definitely some feature creep / increasing in scale happening but they've shown quite a bit last year if I remember correctly. Bet it comes out either late this year or early next.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Where are the clones to:
- M&B
- X4
- Stardew Valley
- Aurora 4X
- Factorio
- Civilization
- Supreme Ruler
- Anno

Amen, I really thought a larger dev would have tried the mount and blade formula by now.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I feel for the devs. From what I've seen and heard from devs around the world, they hate being stuck to a single project for so long. 8 years is insane, most get tired after 5 and want something new to experience.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I feel for the devs. From what I've seen and heard from devs around the world, they hate being stuck to a single project for so long. 8 years is insane, most get tired after 5 and want something new to experience.
From what I've read on business networks project management at Taleworlds is seemingly busted. Their lead engine dev left like 3 years ago and one of his reasons was something along the lines of a "visionless management".

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
TaleWorlds and the M&B franchise rise is pretty fascinating. Basically started out just Husband & Wife making the original game as a hobby, found huge success with it and slowly brought on a few more people to help with the Warband sequel which then saw even greater success and multiple stand alone expansions. And now they're well over 100 people working on Bannerlord.

Which I think explains a lot about the huge development time for Bannerlord. They scaled up a ton in personnel and project scope but don't have the commensurate experience required to manage it all efficiently. Or at least didn't for some time. I'm sure they've learned a lot over ~8 years so hopefully they've been more on track now and have a better handle on things. The tone and some comments by them have made it seems like they're in the latter stages of development rather than still lost in the weeds. But it has been quite some time still.