• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
This is an odd one, I bought on steam the remake of RE 3 and after some 30mins of playing I felt a lot of motion sickness to the point that I had to stop and had to lay down for a while. Later I tired to adjust the field of view but I still felt motion sickness, now here is the funny part, I caped the frame rate to 60fps and I no longer feel motion sickness, before it was uncapped running around from 120 to144fps with gsync enabled.

This is the first time that has happen to me and I dont know why. I've been traying different games and fount out that RE3, Outer Wilds and RE7 are the only ones that give me motion sickness if I play above 60fps.

Have you any of you felt something similar?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Not me, but I have a friend that got motion sick when she attended a theatrical screening of the 60fps version of The Hobbit Part 1.

Bran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm usually okay when it comes to games at high frame rates, but I remember Gears 4 specifically making me a little motion sick.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For me that happens in first person games when the FOV is low. I feel great when it's at 90-110

Hidant

Oct 27, 2017
DJ_Khaled_Suffering_from_Success.jpg

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I get extremely motion sick when at low framerate, not high.

Might be FOV but I didn't notice an issue with RE.

OP
OP
AllenShrz

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
I get extremely motion sick when at low framerate, not high.

Might be FOV but I didn't notice an issue with RE.

I did but for whatever reason I have motion sickness with RE3 and I can recreate it, not even 2 mins in again with high framerate and I start to feel sick.

I was not aware that I could be susceptible to that.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I think the only game that's ever made me feel sick was Cold Fear on the Xbox. I guess that shows how effective they simulated boat movement in that game lol

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely the opposite for me.
Low frame rates often make me very motion sick, and it's usually solved just by increasing the frame rate.

There's a list of other things that games can do which tend to cause me motion sickness no matter what the frame rate is though:
  • Limited FOV options. I typically need 74° vertical - which can be 90°, 106°, or 122° horizontal, depending on how the game calculates it (referenced to 4:3, 16:9, or actual). In third-person games like RE2/RE3 that have limited FOV options, sometimes the only way to get an acceptable horizontal view is to play in ultra-wide rather than 16:9. The camera is very claustrophobic in them.
  • Lacking 1:1 mouse control (applies to the recent Resident Evil games).
  • Adjusting aim sensitivity based on other actions such as sprinting (Prey 2017).
  • Limited turning speed. The Witness made me extremely motion sick when using a controller at launch, since there was no way to increase the turning sensitivity. Switching to a mouse (technically a Steam Controller emulating a mouse) which did allow for the sensitivity to be increased, fixed this immediately.
  • Vignetting - which also applies to the RE games. This one is curious, as it's often added as a comfort option in VR, but has only ever made things worse for me on a regular display.
  • Headbobbing when walking or tilting the view when strafing.
  • Overly-soft image quality - either from a sub-native rendering resolution, or excessively soft TAA without a post-TAA sharpening filter.
  • Lack of image contrast. Similar to soft image quality, if I am straining to see things clearly I find that I am a lot more susceptible to motion sickness. Dark, under-lit environments often do this.
  • Bad frame-pacing. This should not be an issue when using G-Sync, but often is when using Windowed/Borderless mode rather than Full-Screen Exclusive mode. I now disable the windowed-mode G-Sync option entirely, and force games to run in FSE Mode.
  • Stuttering. It's also possible for some games to stutter badly at high frame rates if the CPU cannot handle it. Recently, this was particularly bad in The Outer Worlds for me. I had to cap the frame rate to ~40 FPS to eliminate that stutter, which was low enough that the frame rate was then making me motion sick. Couldn't play the game.
So there are a few things on that list which RE3 does that certainly don't help, but I was able to get through it at ~90 FPS on my ultra-wide monitor without too much trouble.
I couldn't play the game for very long in 16:9 with its limited FOV, but that's was not made worse by higher frame rates.

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
I had the problem with the iPad pro, even while surfing. Took weeks to adjust but now it works just fine. Maybe you should cap it at 120 and try again. Always had the feeling a variable framerate is the bigger problem than a high one.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Happened to me about 4 years ago when I bought a 144hz monitor, I was playing borderlands 2 with a friend and it made me feel awfull, had to play in short bursts. Eventually my eyes got used to it and it didnt make me sick, now it happens more rarely.

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE engine has a load of post processing on to make it look somewhat soft.

I wonder if this is why it's triggering your sickness OP?

It looks to me when playing there is a slight lag / ghosting effect to the image, but I get used to it within seconds.

What gpu, cpu , monitor and resolution are you running at?

Just wondering if there are some options that we can adjust to help

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
It happens. My sister couldn't stand 120hz and she barely tolerated 60.

She's getting used to it though. I got her a gsync monitor and we've been upping the FPS cap via RTSS every week.

OP
OP
AllenShrz

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
RE engine has a load of post processing on to make it look somewhat soft.

I wonder if this is why it's triggering your sickness OP?

It looks to me when playing there is a slight lag / ghosting effect to the image, but I get used to it within seconds.

What gpu, cpu , monitor and resolution are you running at?

Just wondering if there are some options that we can adjust to help

The monitor is the lg 27gn750, a 3080 and the 3900x.

I also have a 32 monitor 4k monitor but capped at 60 and no hdr and I don't suffer from motion sicknesses playing RE3 with that monitor.

dmnc

Mar 18, 2020
Try playing in windowed mode and make the window 50% the size of your monitor (or smaller). Helped me out with a similar issue

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Try playing in windowed mode and make the window 50% the size of your monitor (or smaller). Helped me out with a similar issue
Borderless/Windowed mode usually breaks G-Sync, so I wouldn't recommend doing that.
You could set the GPU scaling to "no scaling" which would display a lower resolution full-screen image bordered though.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Does the distance to the monitor also play a role for those of you who feel motion sickness?
The main thing is that the closer I sit, the higher the FOV has to be.
The amount of motion in your vision can certainly be a factor, but is not a major one for me if the frame rate is high, and I can adjust the FOV without restriction.

At low frame rates though, sitting closer - or using wider aspect ratios - does make things worse, regardless of FOV.
Katamari Damacy is bad for me, but I can just about tolerate it in 4:3. Playing it in 16:9 was much worse, and 21:9 resulted in day-ruining motion sickness.

OP
OP
AllenShrz

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
Found another game that gave me bad motion sickness on 120hz, Hitman 3.

At 60pfs my sickness went away, I try again with unlocked framerate and bam, motion sickness. It also didnt help that it was the solving the murder mission and all the time you are inside a building with narrow hallways and tall ways all the time.