• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Motion Blur/Film Grain/Chromatic Aberration - On Or Off?

• Motion Blur On

Votes: 539 36.9%
  • Motion Blur Off

Votes: 851 58.2%
  • Film Grain On

Votes: 346 23.7%
  • Film Grain Off

Votes: 1,042 71.3%
  • Chromatic Aberration On

Votes: 253 17.3%
  • Chromatic Aberration Off

Votes: 1,148 78.6%

• Total voters

samurai1226

Dec 11, 2017
First time I played Mass Effect back then I though my console had a graphic issue. Until I found out you turn that horrible film grain off

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People in this thread have zero respect for artistic vision, lmao.

To each their own though. It's all good.

sEX89t.gif

Artistic vision so bright I can barely see!

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
All 3 off, but Motion Blur can be fine when done properly. Absolutely don't understand why Film Grain and Chromatic Aberration are a thing, CA makes everything look like you're wearing those cheap red and blue "3d" glasses. yuck.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
All 3 off, but Motion Blur can be fine when done properly. Absolutely don't understand why Film Grain and Chromatic Aberration are a thing, CA makes everything look like you're wearing those cheap red and blue "3d" glasses. yuck.

RE 2 Remake is a prime example of why film grain is useful.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
If CA is used sparingly I don't mind it on, but when it's just carelessly applied to the whole image (seemingly to blur the image like bad AA or something) I turn it off. Like in Outer Worlds.

Film Grain and Motion Blur depend on game to game. Good implementations are good and bad ones are bad 🤷‍♀️

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Everything on. ALWAYS.

Except on Cyberpunk, which are super weird implemented, and destroy the image quality.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Terrible post processing effects. All three always off.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's all very contextual and dependent on the aesthetic the game is going for, but if it feels like they were thrown in there for the sake of it then I'll turn the latter two off.

Motion Blur entirely depends on how strong it is. I'm fine with a l'il bit of it, but sometimes it's way too much.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on the game. CA in Bloodborne was really bad, but it is generally good if it's done right like in the Order 1886. the Order also simulated the distortion of wide angle lenses, which was pretty cool.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
Motion Blur:

ON for per object motion blur if it's a quality one.

OFF for camera motion blur on a 60 FPS game.

30 FPS? Maybe ON, depends.

Dr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
I actually like the film grain effect. I thought the implementation in Resident Evil 2 and the TLoU2 were pretty good. Now, motion blur gets turned off instantly. Never been a fan of that and it looks so jarring to me.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
People in this thread have zero respect for artistic vision, lmao.

To each their own though. It's all good.
A lot of people dogging this post, but honestly? If I trust in the people making this I'll have a good time. I don't know better than they do. I want what they've been working with, not my spin on it.

Which means if this stuff is turned on, I'm leaving it on.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Keep them all on.

Per object motion blur can make everything so much smoother. And fill in the blanks that otherwise would be lost.
Film grain can add so much to the atmosphere
CA, if done right, should be barely noticeable.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
What I don't understand is why the fuck are they adding CA in games. That shit is being removed in photography/videography

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
All off. I don't see the point of motion blur when LCDs make motion look a bit blurry anyway. Or maybe I have a shit monitor.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
If my choice for motion blur is completely binary, off.

If I can toggle camera blur and object blur separately, object blur stays on in games where it's not distracting.

Everything else is garbage, and if you don't put in a toggle for shit like CA and film grain, I'm going to assume you hate my eyeballs.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
There's one or two games where film grain actually adds to the aesthetic (Left 4 Dead 2 for example) but by and large, all 3 just distract from the experience for me and are always turned off immediately.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
good motion blur I like on. Especially on console with a solid 30fps it can really help the smoothness and image quality overall

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I turn all that shit off. It's beyond awful. Excessive motion blur makes me nauseous and chromab is just painful to look at. If anything film grain is the most bening of the three, that I'll tolerate if I have to.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone!
tumblr_n4h4kyyVaL1smcbm7o1_500.gif

But seriously it depends on the implementation.

Per Object Motion Blur I generally keep on, probably one of the best effects to keep on in gaming even when you are cutting down on settings.
In racing games Motion Blur as well.

Film Grain has the odd side effect of antialiasing images, so depending on the game I may or may not keep this on. Hopefully i can control the amount.

Chromatic Aberration is totally up to the implementation, some games go way too far with it so I turn it off but its an effect that I dont mind when applied sparingly.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
CA off, and if there's no option to turn it off I'll mod it out.

Didn't vote either way for the other 2. Per game basis for motion blur, and as for film grain, I don't think I've ever played a game with it in.

Mochino

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
All on, baby. To me that would be like changing the color-correction of a movie I'm watching. I don't judge others for turning them off, but I love them.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
depends on the game. a little motion blur can be fine at times. sometimes it's not needed or is just way too strong. not really a fan of film grain at all. for CA i sometimes turn it on.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I quite like motion blur and film grain in the right context. Well done blur looks excellent - the 30fps versions of Forza Horizon 4 for example.

But Chromatic Aberration is an abortion of an effect. I have no idea why anyone ever saw it and thought "our game needs some of that". There's a reason camera manufacturers spend a fortune on glass and coatings to reduce CA, it's because it looks utter shit. Photo software is designed to remove it, but game devs actually spend time putting the headache inducing crap into games.

Yes I feel strongly. But as someone who suffers from an eye disorder that results in ghosting CA makes things worse and gives me eyestrain. While there are strides in accessibility options these days the use of CA seems to have passed devs by as an accessibility issue.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Camera MB is always off. Object is on though.
CA is off even if the game doesn't allow me to - I don't play such game so it is off in that way.
FG is usually off but is dependent on a game and on the type and way the game does AA.

Laur

Oct 27, 2017
Motion blur on if 30fps off at >=60fps.

Film grain/Chromatic aberration... depends. I like the look of it in some games Cyberpunk being a recent example where I feel like them being on gives the whole image a more blade runner vibe.

May 24, 2019
Gimme all the fake movie effects. I bathe in fake movie effects.

edit: I even keep a fake film grain filter on VLC at all times. It really helps mask compression artifacts.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Everything off, leave per object motion blur on if it's a seperate option. If not, oh well

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Good quality motion blur on, the rest is off. CA can look good if its not overused, i hate film grain with passion

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I usually turn them all off. Only turn on Motion Blur when its per object. Camera motion blur is terribe most of the time and only helps 30fps games. That blur is only good when its high quality like on Insomniac's Spider-man.