• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched first 3 minutes of that Mother's Basement video and noped the fuck out. How did they turn Dragon's Dogma into...this garbage!?

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They could have done a 1:1 adaption the video game story and it would easily be anime of the year. I still think about the true ending and everything leading up to it to this day. It was just so surreal and unexpected.

gillian03

Oct 28, 2017
I actually really enjoyed it for what it was :(

It was a short, fantasy driven anime that just felt....right? Hard to explain. It's not an epic or amazing anime but kind of like a...homely one? If that makes sense.

I liked it too. I enjoyed the show very much. So much that I'm a bit confused as to why people in this thread think it's awful.

I guess I'm just easily amused. The show made me buy a third copy of the game - on Nintendo Switch. When previously I had it on PS3 and PC.

But I guess everyone is allowed to like or dislike anything. And it's okay to have different tastes than others.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
The third episode BLEW me away with how bad it was. Like, holy shit. And at that ending? woof...

I immediately went online to see what others thought of it and saw nothing, so I am very pleased that MB spent some time talking about it.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Austin at Vice Games basically spent 2 minutes on last week's podcast taking a dump on it. Feels like a safe skip from Dragon's Dogma-aficionado Mr. Walker.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Damn, even though i don't like 3D, i was still planning to watch it at some point since i liked the castlevania adaptation...

but nope, it's reaaaally bad holy shit, good thing this video is there

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this last night and yep, the show sucks

Everything I could possibly say is mentioned in the video (bland, bland, bland main character, terrible writing that's trying too hard to fulfill an edginess quota, also the incredibly sleazy treatment of women. Seriously episode 6's story is so paper thin that it feels like an excuse to have the MC's already fridged wife's tits on screen). About the only thing I enjoyed about this is Hannah, the main (only) pawn. She was cool. She got treated well by the show. No damselling, no sleazy fanservice, she actually got a better executed arc than the MAIN CHARACTER himself. She even carried the Arisen through a bunch of important fights and all while repping Magic Archer (the best Vocation)

dragons-dogma-netflix-2.jpg

(Man, if DD2 ever becomes a thing, they need to make some special / pre-made Pawn based on her. She deserves better than this)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Just, wow.

I thought this'd just be a mediocre action anime at worst but holy shit what is this writing? I almost feel like I owe Paul Anderson an apology for crapping on his Capcom adaptations.

Almost.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it too. I enjoyed the show very much. So much that I'm a bit confused as to why people in this thread think it's awful.

I guess I'm just easily amused. The show made me buy a third copy of the game - on Nintendo Switch. When previously I had it on PS3 and PC.

But I guess everyone is allowed to like or dislike anything. And it's okay to have different tastes than others.

I liked a lot of bad games and anime, but I don't think not liking a show for its terrible portrayal of women or questionable moral preaching is a matter of taste.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I guess you could be thankful for small victories:

This could have been given to Paul W.S. Anderson. Then it'd be about Milla Jovovich (of the A.R.I.S.E. squad) dogfithing with dragons using an F-15 fighter jet, being aided by her AI program P.A.W.N.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess you could be thankful for small victories:

This could have been given to Paul W.S. Anderson. Then it'd be about Milla Jovovich (of the A.R.I.S.E. squad) dogfithing with dragons using an F-15 fighter jet, being aided by her AI program P.A.W.N.
I mean at least there'd be no weird rape shit.

Or an anti-drug episode in a goddamn fantasy setting.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
"feels like a rejected movie script from Ben Shapiro"

fucking lol

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
The story is of the character from the prologue.

It's not. They're very similar looking with similar sounding names but the MC from the anime (Ethan) is not the prologue Arisen (Savan). That character actually already has his own canon backstory.

Considering the ending of show has contradicting lore about the Dragon, I'm pretty sure the anime is not connected other than borrowing the names of locations from the game

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
It's not. They're very similar looking with similar sounding names but the MC from the anime (Ethan) is not the prologue Arisen (Savan). That character actually already has his own canon backstory.

Considering the ending of show has contradicting lore about the Dragon, I'm pretty sure the anime is not connected other than borrowing the names of locations from the game

Seems to be a mix of the prolog, because it follows 0 story beats from the main game. I guess they could try and get around it using the in lore unlimited realities thing, but still an adaptation should try and follow as much of the main story as possible.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I was already put off by how generic and uninspired the setting and art direction were in the actual game were with Dragon's Dogma (considering how good Capcom normally are with such things, I was especially harsh about this), amazed that the story in this adaptation managed to be so bad even by video game anime standards.
The morals and lessons in the anime are even worse than MB's description.

Every episode tells you why you should be proud to be a bootlicker, why classism and capitalism are infallible and why you should never question your laws and Scripture, even when they're proven to be based in archaic prejudice.

That's not even to speak of how they treat women. It's not just a bad anime, it's a harmful one.

Netflix (US) has anime more deserving of your time than this flaming pile of garbage.

FMA Brotherhood
Hunter x Hunter
The Promised Neverland
Attack on Titan
One Piece
Gurren Lagann
One Punch Man
Madoka Magicka
Haikyu!!
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Aggretsuko
Code Geass
Naruto
Carole & Tuesday
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Death Note
Parasyte
Devilman Crybaby
Clannad
Though there are other shows on this list I ended up not being a fan of in spite of liking others among those I have seen, Death Note most certainly had a huge problem with women on top of being just plain nihilistic in general.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
" Because Goblin Slayer is a popular anime. No that's it "

And the context before it is like the most succinct "Hey unchecked capitalism dictating the artistic merit of your product and nothing else isn't the best "

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
its kind of incredible how awful this shit is from every level besides the action scenes.
ive never seen a show where the villain literally tells the hero the shitty theme its supposed to be preaching directly, like literally one for one

its crazy because dragons dogma themes are hella progressive and smart as fuck. like crazy smart to the nature of what the game is.

i don't think those things are really reproducible in any non-videogame format but if it shared the same writer at all it's so bizarre to see them go from that to whatever the fuck this is.

Oct 27, 2017
With only 7 episodes and the first 2 episodes not having any meaningful progression I already knew from the beginning it would not be good. But then they even took the great twist from the end of the game and made it into a whole bunch of nothing without even getting to the fun parts.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know they adapted this game in the first place to be honest.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I was already put off by how generic and uninspired the setting and art direction were in the actual game were with Dragon's Dogma (considering how good Capcom normally are with such things, I was especially harsh about this), amazed that the story in this adaptation managed to be so bad even by video game anime standards.

Though there are other shows on this list I ended up not being a fan of in spite of liking others among those I have seen, Death Note most certainly had a huge problem with women on top of being just plain nihilistic in general.
I don't disagree, I just wanted to highlight "better" anime that are widely beloved and more worthy of one's time than DD.

Death Note has a host of issues, not limited to the second half of the story being a considerable downgrade from the first.