• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017

As someone who loved the OG game. Im really disappointed to hear how terrible the story is for the adaptation. I was gonna watch it but i feel i wont anymore. It has some really insane morals for each of its episodes that were absent in the game

Oct 27, 2017
I watched a few minutes of the first episode and it did nothing for me, but I was intending to go back. Maybe I shouldn't bother?

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's trash in more ways than one. I know the game's story is pretty nebulous and all, but jesus did they ever fuck this up.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I watched a few minutes of the first episode and it did nothing for me, but I was intending to go back. Maybe I shouldn't bother?
I love the game, but the anime is dreadful. It's also painfully obvious what's gonna happen, but the series wastes its final episode of a series that already feels way too rushed to give like an 18 minute detailed exposition on things that you'll probably have figured out like 4 episodes again because I guess they assume the audience is stupid.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Only managed 2 episodes before dropping it, but holy fuck it gets much worse I see, episode 3 sounds like utter shite.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Watch Land of the Lustrous or Beastars. Studio Orange is godlike at that stuff.
Watched them both and loved them (Lustrous even more, shame it ain't continuing) but other than those two - most 3d anime is indeed trash and looks like trash
edit: Oh there's also Dorohedoro which is a hybrid but still cool. But yeah my point still stands

Edify

Oct 28, 2017
I never would've watched it tbh but it sucks that it's been poorly received. I'm still thankful that stuff like this, the DD MMO and the numerous ports over the years are keeping the IP in the public eye though.

I really want DD to get a sequel or for Capcom to make a new IP with a new setting that uses similar mechanics, because it's so fun to play and the concept has amazing potential for next gen.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched this myself and I'm glad he pointed out how terribly the women are treated. It really stood out. I actually didn't catch that that one girl went blind lol.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm kind of astounded how bad this ended up.

i can normally roll with 'bad' anime on an ironic level

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Watched them both and loved them (Lustrous even more, shame it ain't continuing) but other than those two - most 3d anime is indeed trash and looks like trash
edit: Oh there's also Dorohedoro which is a hybrid but still cool. But yeah my point still stands

Also Space Battleship 2199 has a 3D component that looks great. Same for a bunch of Xebec Shows like FMP: Invisible Victory or Fafner Exodus.

Oct 24, 2019
The visual style is unbelievably hideous. Who would green light such a monstrosity?

reminds me of the Berserk revival's animation

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Mega size ooof. I was actually thinking of watching this just to see what it was about cause the trailer kinda looked interesting but now Im glad I missed this train wreck.

I hope that rape goblin thing doesnt find its way into DD2.....

tenor.gif

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I actually really enjoyed it for what it was :(

It was a short, fantasy driven anime that just felt....right? Hard to explain. It's not an epic or amazing anime but kind of like a...homely one? If that makes sense.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I am about 3 or 4 episodes in and its not good so far. It is just very burning is the best way to describe the show. The characters aren't very interesting. The writing seems paper thin.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dragon's Dogma? More like Dragon's Dogshit. *cue shit eating grin and plentiful guffaws and hearty claps at Kieli's wit*

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
The character models in this are extremely impressive. The monsters are awkward and low quality. But the characters are insanely detailed and animate well. Sucks that they wasted them on a story that's is so edgy and vapid it almost circles back to being dumb fun.

NazoNazoXLR

Dec 20, 2019
It's amazing to me that the anime staff somehow managed to come up with a less narratively ambitious and thematically nuanced story than A VIDEO GAME FROM CAPCOM

That's like if Michael Bay makes your characterization look shallow and your jokes look sophomoric

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
The animations and graphics in the show are fucking amazing, and what I would expect for modern anime.

However, the story is such shit and very confusing. There are plenty of WTF moments in it, and not in a good way.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dorohedoro is a hybrid? Huh, thought it was only 3D. Agreed though that those 3 all look great.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
When the best "outcome" for a female side character in the show is to be blinded and have to rely on a guy for the rest of your life.

oof.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
The morals and lessons in the anime are even worse than MB's description.

Every episode tells you why you should be proud to be a bootlicker, why classism and capitalism are infallible and why you should never question your laws and Scripture, even when they're proven to be based in archaic prejudice.

That's not even to speak of how they treat women. It's not just a bad anime, it's a harmful one.

Netflix (US) has anime more deserving of your time than this flaming pile of garbage.

FMA Brotherhood
Hunter x Hunter
The Promised Neverland
Attack on Titan
One Piece
Gurren Lagann
One Punch Man
Madoka Magicka
Haikyu!!
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Aggretsuko
Code Geass
Naruto
Carole & Tuesday
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Death Note
Parasyte
Devilman Crybaby
Clannad

Last edited:
OP
OP
404LinkNotFound
Oct 27, 2017

Every episode tells you why you should be proud to be a bootlicker, why classism and capitalism are infallible and why you should never question your laws and Scripture, even when they're proven to be based in archaic prejudice.

That's not even to speak of how they treat women. It's not just a bad anime, it's a harmful one.

Netflix (US) has anime more deserving of your time than this flaming pile of garbage.

FMA Brotherhood
Hunter x Hunter
The Promised Neverland
Attack on Titan
One Piece
Gurren Lagann
One Punch Man
Madoka Magicka
Haikyu!!
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Aggretsuko
Code Geass
Naruto
Carole & Tuesday
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Death Note
Parasyte
Devilman Crybaby
Clannad
Whats even wierder is whoever wrote this chose....Dragon's Dogma of all things to push those ideals

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Has there ever been a good 3D Netflix anime?

I feel like that combo is the kiss of death for quality.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

There's also Kengan Ashura which, while still ugly, is very entertaining.

Has there ever been a good 3D Netflix anime?

Multiple excellent shows. Beastars may be the first that actually looks impressive visually.

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first 10 minutes of the first episode and turned it off and deleted it from my netflix history.

The dialogue rubbed me the wrong way almost immediately.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

FMA Brotherhood
Hunter x Hunter
The Promised Neverland
Attack on Titan
One Piece
Gurren Lagann
One Punch Man
Madoka Magicka
Haikyu!!
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Aggretsuko
Code Geass
Naruto
Carole & Tuesday
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Death Note
Parasyte
Devilman Crybaby
Clannad
Just gonna add Beastars to that list.(Also I like BNA.)

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
It was pretty bad though i was in the mood for something like it and i really liked the game so i watched the whole show.
The writing was just bad and often the visuals were very jarring.

There are many problems with the writing but a big one was that Ethan, after he lost everything to the dragon, was his normal self a few seconds later and for the biggest part of the show. It's obvious that the reason was
so that later in the series he turns angry at everything and that the difference in his behavior is more noticeable.
It felt like not much thought went into anything.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
So I'm not the only one who didn't like Dragons Dogma? Thank god This show was terrible and ruined the game I really enjoyed.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This anime is to dragons dogma as godzilla 98 is to godzilla. A big turd on a good ip.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm not the only one who didn't like Dragons Dogma? Thank god This show was terrible and ruined the game I really enjoyed.

There are people who liked it? Even the scenes that look alright visually have a bunch of distractingly janky animation.
Animation being modeled after the vocal performances is a good decision but having that based on English is a bit odd.

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
Lustrous is said to return for a second season, studio orange needed the manga to pass a certain point before they continued. At the time the first season ended they were deep into what had already been printed.

I truly was hoping for DD to do for the franchise what the castlevania series did for the games. But as soon as that trailer played... Berserk 2016 ptsd hit hard.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
The video thumbnail and title made it looked like it's a white guy being angry at stuff, but I watched it and the show really did have a lot of yikes. Not "bad" yikes but "harmful" yikes.