• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
www.goodmorningamerica.com

The controversial water safety technique that could save a baby from drowning

When Krysta Meyer posted a video of her eight-month-old son's swim lesson to her Tik Tok she has had no idea the decades-old technique being taught would draw worldwide a

When Krysta Meyer posted a video of her 8-month-old's swimming lesson to Tik Tok, she had no idea a decades-old technique taught to her son would draw worldwide attention.

"I'm getting messages from overseas, from everywhere," the Colorado-based Meyer, a mom of two, told "Good Morning America." And while the majority of messages were supportive and expressing awe as the baby surfaced from underwater, rolling onto his back to save himself from drowning, there was plenty of criticism too.

The criticism, said the owner of Little Fins Swim School, in Colorado Springs, where Meyer's sons, Oliver and Jace, take lessons, primarily is based in a misunderstanding.

"They're focused on Oliver being thrown into the pool," Lauri Armstrong said. "But that's something they work up to. That's not the first day."

Not a parent, but this is interesting. Definitely looks scary AF. Apparently, this a well-known technique with swimming instructors, it just went viral with this TikTok.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who invented that technique? Crazy that there is still no scientific consensus on whether this is a good or a bad technique.

The AAP wrote on its website: "Children over age 1 may be at a lower risk of drowning if they have had some formal swimming instruction. However, there is no evidence that swimming lessons or water survival skills courses can prevent drowning in babies younger than 1 year of age."

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I learned to "swim" at 9 months. This is just sorta what it looks like.

Maybe the dropping part is unnecessary but the rolling over is almost an instinct you can encourage.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
how often babies drowning out here that justifies spiking lil Trevor rather than just waiting until they can learn how to swim

Edit: I was provided statistics below which helped inform me

Last edited:

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
No idea. Not a swimming instructor lol. Apparently it is decades old.
Yeah that is a known technique that is taught all across the states. Used to help manage a municipal pool in Texas and that is one of the classes. They start as early as 6 months.

Fucking idiots giving them a hard time. It saves babies plus they like it. Where the hell do people think babies live while in the womb?

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Oliver had been taking lessons for two months when the video was shot. His mom said the progression from day one to the video was a slow one.

"First, they get comfortable in the water, then comfortable lying on their back, then lying on their backs with one hand, then keeping their chin up," she said. "There's a lot that happens before they are thrown in the water."

I dont know. If it works and is safe I guess sure?

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I kind of wish I had taken my kids to swim lessons. We taught them ourselves and of course never did anything like this. Now our five year old swims, but he still wants his floaties and our three year old kind of just sinks. It would have been nice to do something like this so they were better swimmers.

Oct 28, 2017
Ummmmm yeah don't care how well regarded and old this technique is, no one is doing this do my kid.

Oh so this isn't day 1 stuff? Little easier to understand I suppose

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the title I was expecting parenting on the level of "crazy antivaxx parents", but this isn't it

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
Mom was literally right there, it's not like they were trying to see how long the kid could hold his breath.

Some baptisms are worse than this.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Speaking as someone who taught our 2yo to swim, there are plenty of moments that taken in isolation can look surprising or dangerous. But in context you build up to them as the child develops their instincts, breath control and familiarity with the water.

Some of the lessons involve literally dunking them underwater for a few seconds so they learn how to hold their breath and aren't scared of it. But again, you build up to those moments by teaching them to blow bubbles, and counting them in so they know it's coming.

If you took a 5 second clip of me dunking my son underwater it could look horrific, but in the context of a swimming lesson with safety measure and qualified instructors, it's perfectly safe.

You don't just start throwing in a toddler and hope for the best.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
how often babies drowning out here that justifies spiking lil Trevor rather than just waiting until they can learn how to swim
It's an unbelievable statistic: According to the CDC, drowning is the number one cause of unintentional death for children between the ages of 1 and 4.

www.edgarsnyder.com

Swimming Injury Statistics - Swimming Pool Accidents

Swimming injury statistics for drowning (2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008) and circulation entrapment (1990-2004, 1999-2007, 2004-2007).

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I have seen this for years - people need to chill out, kid isn't getting hurt, rusk is exceptionally low with people around...

Stuff like this saves lives.

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I mean I get anxious AF watching how my friends with small kiddos toss them around, into the air or onto bedding or whatever. "They like it!" Yes, clearly, but friendo, you are so very confident your hands won't slip or grip the wrong way...

Somehow tossing a baby into water after teaching it apparently well-known swimming skills seems safer than that?

Idk. Not quite ready to clutch my pearls over this one.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Of course teach your kid to swim. But you don't have to toss them around like a sack of potatos

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
The best way to make a baby float is to add root beer and 2 scoops of ice cream

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My niece learned to swim like this.

The entire point of dropping them into the water is to simulate the experience of falling into a pool or other body of water. Also, babies are born with a natural reflex to hold their breath and open there eyes when submerged in water. Teaching them to swim at a super young age helps them keep those instinct when most lose it.

Some of you are tripping. My niece swims like a fucking champ now.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I mean this has been a thing for a while and I feel the criticisms are unfounded. It's not the first time I've seen it and my first response when I first saw it years ago was of confusion and disgust, until it changed. I realised that it's better that the baby learns than if the baby doesn't.

That video was obviously not the first time the baby was doing it. They would have had to start slow and gentle while the parent is in the pool holding the baby and slowly sinking them, and then leading up to a sudden throw like this.

You can't really simulate the baby's instinctive response from an accidental fall if all the baby's ever known is to gently sink into the water. And if that's all the baby's known and there is indeed an accident then the baby might not know what to do as it'd be the baby's first experience of a sudden drop into water, which is why you kind of do have to make them learn to overcome the suddenness of it all.

I am someone who can't swim because I never learned to do so after I had a drowning experience at the age of 6 or 7. I'd rather have been a swimmer since I was an infant that be like I am right now.

Last edited:

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Surprise: Most Social Media users just want to find a way to shit on someone despite knowing nothing regarding what they are talking about

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting the toss, but I feel like I've seen videos like this before. It might've been the same lady lol.

In the other videos they just...plopped the baby into the water and the babies instincts kicks in.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

jesus christ. Kid is like the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Way worse than the first video, drowning and whiplash.

The first video freaks me out as someone who doesn't know how to swim, but perhaps if this was done with me at that age I wouldn't be so fucking terrified of water and would know how to swim. Obviously not good for any random fuck to just toss babies into the water, but people who know what they are doing and well supervised I can see how it would work.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I don't know shit about babies, honestly. I don't even like holding them, so I have no idea how fragile they actually are.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Babies spent 9 months of existence in a water sack. I think they have a decent instinctual knowledge on what to do in water.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tons and tons of toddlers drown actually, they manage the doorknob, run out of the house to the nearest runoff pond, and die.

Teaching them to swim won't prevent hypothermia when they do it in a northern winter, but anyone living near ponds, lakes, rivers, or ocean should be teaching their kids basic swimming techniques. Or having them taught.