• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
looks very good, but the writing is always, always going to be the key as to whether this works or not. Itoi is inimitable, so I hope they go for their own vibe.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This looks to be shaping up nicely. Hopefully the finished project (whenever it releases) lives up to the potential.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Good. This project has always been something the should be right up my alley, but the branding of Mother 4 made me unreasonably weary of the game. Calling it Mother 4 sets up some very peculiar, but hard to define, expectations for it to meet. Now, I can sort of relax that critical side of me and just embrace the game on its own terms.

Calling it Mother 4 infringes on Nintendo's trademark. Nintendo lawyers will wipe any fan game from the face of existence if it violates their copyright. If they were to release this as a product to profit from, they would have had to re-brand eventually.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Man...between this and Mega Man X Corrupted.....

we not getting these games during our lifetime bro LMAO

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
It looks really good, but the music really didn't immediately grab me like the original Mother 4 soundtrack did. I hope the trailer music isn't representative of the rest of the new soundtrack.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
Oh my god this game looks wonderful. I'll have to look into backing this. Wow!

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I don't see console releases happening considering they've always said the game will remain free even after they ditched the Mother 4 title.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
This might be a controversial point, but I would have preferred the name "Mother 4". I get why they didn't do it for legal reasons, but Itoi has said that he basically wants fans to continue the Mother legacy. I think it would be cool if we could just have the Mother franchise get carried on over the years through various fanworks. Obviously that won't happen because of copyright reasons though. Regardless the game looks great and I'm glad to see it continue development.

This route means a console port is now possible. Which is kind of what I'd want for a Mother game. I always felt it would be weird to play a game called Mother 4 on PC. I couldn't play the Metroid 2 remake either for this reason. Just doesn't feel right.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks so good, i'm so in. On side note, I hope Nintendo remakes the Mother games. I think the recent LoZ: LA artstyle/engine is just perfect for it

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Was the original animated pixelart like that or does it have now a considerable rework now. It looks REALLY good and even if its still feels very much insipred in mother's pixelart, it has somewhat of a twist.

Really liking the logo.

I like this because now it can stand on its own instead of being seen as a Mother / Earthbound fanfic.
Its still looks 100% like a mother fanfic game.
And i dont say this in anegative way, now of course its a real game with its own brand, but is still very much a tribute to a series they love.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Are you referring to the Mother 4 soundtrack or have they posted new stuff? As I understood it they're no longer using the original Mother 4 soundtrack that was released.
I know there was a lot of drama with the composer of that music and he left the team, but apparently he eventually agreed to let them use the music. Of course, the remixes of Mother tracks will be gone and maybe some other tracks will also be replaced if they don't fit the game anymore, but I think a lot of it should still be in there.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'm glad it is getting a rebrand, although it is a shame that the Mother games aren't available on current platforms.

Many of the biggest hits in recent years have been fan games from folk that grew up playing 16-bit emulators. Stardew Valley, Freedom Planet, Ittle Dew and Undertale are all explicit in their references and template, and it helps to have a fandom built from the most popular emulated games.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Was the original animated pixelart like that or does it have now a considerable rework now. It looks REALLY good and even if its still feels very much insipred in mother's pixelart, it has somewhat of a twist.
It's not too different from when it was Mother 4, mainly changing the more explicit references like Travis striped shirt and the battle transitions.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
When you make something that looks better than what inspired it, rebrand and go for the $$$

I'd pay money for this.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Looks really good, love the animation. Hope this comes to consoles, would love to play this on a Nintendo system.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
This route means a console port is now possible. Which is kind of what I'd want for a Mother game. I always felt it would be weird to play a game called Mother 4 on PC. I couldn't play the Metroid 2 remake either for this reason. Just doesn't feel right.

Undertale feels perfect on PC? Don't know how this will feel any different, both are very mother inspired

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I like the new name, but it starting out as a fan sequel with the Mother 4 title is going to do a lot of harm regarding expectations.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'm glad it is getting a rebrand, although it is a shame that the Mother games aren't available on current platforms.

Many of the biggest hits in recent years have been fan games from folk that grew up playing 16-bit emulators. Stardew Valley, Freedom Planet, Ittle Dew and Undertale are all explicit in their references and template, and it helps to have a fandom built from the most popular emulated games.

How do we know they were played on emulators and not original hardware? I haven't heard anything from the devs of those games about playing on emulators, I guess except for Undertale since we know Tobyfox did Earthbound fanhacks.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
While I'm a little sad to see some of the "Mother-isms" removed or retooled I'm quite grateful that the game is still in production and nearing release. It's got a nice, clean jRPG 2D look missing from modern takes of the genre and I thought the old soundtrack was pretty amazing so I'm doubly glad they retained the rights to use it.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I know there was a lot of drama with the composer of that music and he left the team, but apparently he eventually agreed to let them use the music. Of course, the remixes of Mother tracks will be gone and maybe some other tracks will also be replaced if they don't fit the game anymore, but I think a lot of it should still be in there.
Ah okay, I hadn't heard the second part. Cause yeah, it's a great soundtrack and would be a shame for it to go unused, especially since the game is looking even better now.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The battle screens look awesome.

They're making this for profit now, right?

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
Love it. Hope they've been making good process. Would love to play this on a Switch some day and throw them some money for all their troubles along the way.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
How do we know they were played on emulators and not original hardware? I haven't heard anything from the devs of those games about playing on emulators, I guess except for Undertale since we know Tobyfox did Earthbound fanhacks.
I mean unless they're fluent in Japanese they're going to need some third-party hardware somewhere for both Mother 3 and Mother 1 pre-2015.