• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most wanted old school RPG Remake?

• Chrono Trigger

Votes: 210 27.3%
  • Chrono Cross

Votes: 30 3.9%
  • Vagrant Story

Votes: 98 12.8%
  • FF VI

Votes: 183 23.8%
  • Xenogears

Votes: 212 27.6%
  • Breath of Fire 4

Votes: 19 2.5%
  • Valkyrie Profile

Votes: 16 2.1%

• Total voters

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Trigger doesn't need a remake.

WTF

I wouldn't even want it if you change the pixel to hand drawn animation

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Ill take a 3D Valkyrie Profile or a reboot for Grandia. idk what else we need.

Sure , Legend of Dragoon and Vagrant story too.

If Chrono Trigger just looks like Dragon Quest XI or XII or something, idc for a remake.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7 Remake is a complete change over the original game and we will hardly get something like that for another old school RPG like the ones I posted on the poll.

I think is much more possible that we can get the same original game with 2020 graphics and improved controls just like RE2 Remake. That's the same old game but they improved everything else to top tier quality.
RE2make is as much a changed game as FF7 is though

its not the same game at all besides "You shoot zombie"

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
While chrono trigger and FFVI would benefit Greatly from getting a completely 100% massive upgrade remake (ala FFVII remake or RE2 remake) my vote went to xenogears.

it has the most to gain, in so far that it was overly ambitious when it released, half finished and trying desperately to tell its story.
From the rushed second disc, to the full features that seem to disappear it would look so good upgraded and redone in a way similar to xenoblade Chronicles X.

Oct 25, 2017
Phantasy Star II

If they could make the world look and feel as cyberpunk as the art and some of the adventures, coupled with improvements to gameplay, it would be a solid RPG.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
7 Remake is a complete change over the original game and we will hardly get something like that for another old school RPG like the ones I posted on the poll.

I think is much more possible that we can get the same original game with 2020 graphics and improved controls just like RE2 Remake. That's the same old game but they improved everything else to top tier quality.

Uh.

Did you play the RE2 remake?

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
A Chrono Trigger remade in the way that FF7 was would be one of the few things that would blow my mind.

That and a Turtles in Time remake.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Chrono Trigger, easy.

After that, though, a Xenogears remake would be very interesting to see. It'd be fascinating to see how it turned out compared to the absolutely bonkers original.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
The heart says Chrono Trigger but thinking about it the game that could benefit the most would be Xenogears.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
FFVI. I've tried to go back but I just can't get into it and I'd like to see those characters from Dissidia in a Gambit system FF game.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'm gonna say Xenogears or Valkyrie Profile. The other games are perfection and I don't see what a remake would bring to the table.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Xenogears simply because Chrono Trigger still looks good. Xenogears has aged horribly, and doesn't look consistently good even with emulation.

Phantasy Motherfucking Star IV !

Phantasy Star IV is relatively short, and it still looks fine, although I wouldn't be opposed to an HD sprite rework. Better yet, how about the original version that was being developed for the Sega CD that we never got? Would rather just have Phantasy Star V though.

Is KOTOR old school yet?

Cause it's KOTOR

I mentioned that along with Mass Effect in another thread asking what other games I would want a "remaster" of, but I said both of those would need much more than just a facelift.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Trigger is perfect in its current form and doesn't need a remake.

I'd say Xenogears or Vagrant Story would be great though.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 2. Of the poll selection, though, it's between FFVI and Xenogears. FFVI maybe has a slight edge.

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017
I would have voted for a Suikoden remake. It would be amazing to see how your base grows as you recruit more people.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Vagrant Story would be amazing. The main thing holding it down is it's systems which have some great and unique ideas, but need a bit more polish and quality of life stuff that a remake would do wonders for.

A game not on this list that I would also vote for is SaGa Frontier. The addition of a lot of the cut stuff would be just great. The game also has a bunch of unique and cool looking areas that would look amazing with a proper remake.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Trigger is so near-perfect and holds up so well that it hardly needs any improvements except a harder difficulty.

Chrono Cross is a fantastic experiment that deserves a remake to smooth out the rough edges and add extra content to round it all out. Also to hear Kid's Aussie accent. By Vinesauce Vinny

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I normally would have checked Chrono Trigger automatically, but I finished Xenogears in 2019 and while CT is a perfect masterpiece, Xenogears would benefit A LOT from being a remake for which the budget wouldn't be cut in the middle of its development.

The worst in all of this is even despite the disappointment that Disc 2 is, the game stays ridiculously good and its story just as engrossing. Imagine Disc 2's content with the quality of Disc 1's from a story telling perspective plus the whole remake treatment, shit son we gonna eat.

So Xenogears it is.

Last edited:

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Xenogears, but combat like the upcoming FF remake.

...What? I really hate random encounters especially those that takes a couple seconds just to trigger.

PepeElToro

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Cross, BoF4, Xenogears and Vagrant Story would most benefit from a remake.

I vote Xenogears

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Xenogears, but combat like the upcoming FF remake.

...What? I really hate random encounters especially those that takes a couple seconds just to trigger.
Shit, I'd pay $60 for a Xenogears with a finished disc 2 and some QoL improvements to make some of the battle/random encounter stuff less tedious compared to modern standards.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

fcbde277747a2898d0fa3ac7d085324c.jpg

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Considering how well Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest designs transitioned into 3D, it gives me hope the same kind of dedication would go into fully realizing Chrono Trigger's world and character designs as well.

My choice wasn't in the poll. A cleaned up re-release of Suikoden I & II without the bugs and translation issues would be my defacto prefered choice, of course Chrono Trigger is a distant second consideration.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
My vote went for Vagrant Story. It's the one I hear about the most, and the one series that seems to have been completely forgotten by its publisher, so that the only way it'll ever come back is if it's fans make enough noise to get Squeenix's attention.