• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
Choose your most unfair gaming moment/situation/mechanic.

My personal preference goes to the Curse mechanic in Dark Souls 1. I mean, in a first timer blind run it can be terrible: very punishing, hard to spot and really hard to cure without clear instructions.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I want to say some of the SNK bosses that have full screen almost instant supers that will do 60% or higher of your health.

However sometimes I find Guile's little kick without charge to be far more infuriating because I can use that character and I know it is utterly bullshit.

Curse Mechanic in OP is pretty good especially given how little instruction DS gives. However I also find that it is one of the things where once you know about it and understand it it becomes less of an issue. The skill required to get around this isn't high, it is more of a knowledge requirement.

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My personal preference goes to the Curse mechanic in Dark Souls 1. I mean, in a first timer blind run it can be terrible: very punishing, hard to spot and really hard to cure without clear instructions.

Bonus points if Seath's first fight ends with you getting cursed and you have no purging stones. This means you have to escape the Duke's Archives at half health.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta 1 will absolutely trash your platinum medal runs if you forget that some fights open with enemies attack you straight away. There's also QTEs before, during, and sometimes after boss fights that will instantly kill you if you miss them. Those are fun.

Oh, and getting enough hearts to increase your health bar permanently only gives you back a small amount of HP. Using healing items also greatly penalizes your final score in a level.
What? Care to explain?
I'm not the person who said "all of GoW1", but as someone who played through the bulk of the campaign with a friend on Insane maybe a year after GoWU came out, I can safely say that every time the game decides to split you and your co-op partner up, the game becomes a cheap fucking pile of aggravating garbage. Once you and your partner have a wall between you, it's like you're either immediately subject to a dozen wretches, or Theron Guards with Torque Bows. It's horrendous.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Minimize/Double Team/Sand Attack spammers in post-game Pokemon games in Battle Tower/Battle Tree, etc.

They are the worst streak killers.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Stranger of Sword City having a sorta permadeath mechanic when enemies can have instakill moves without warning. This is in a DRPG. The whole game makes it VERY clear it hates you, though, so at least you learn to expect it and save frequently.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
Kind of related, I am playing Furi right now, have enjoyed it a lot so far, I think it's well put together and the right blend of good hard and balanced and challenging without being cheap......

Until the last phase of the 7th boss. It is completely kicked up several notches, it's basically and bullet hell safety dance that is harder because of the games mechanics. It seems like a complete divergence from everything that has made the game so good up until this point.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Let me tell you fuckers about a little game called Drakengard 3 and its final boss battle.

Imagine if a Dynasty Warriors game had a final boss and that final boss was an incredibly difficult rhythm game. A rhythm game so difficult that there are youtube videos dedicated to beating it by sequencing up the video with the game so it is easier to time the button presses. Oh and there is a final note when the screen goes black and you can't see it.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Games that intentionally lock you into an animation to take damage that you can't avoid very easily, or the thing doing the damage "locks on" or warps to you to do the damage.

AI that knows where you are at all times, but also works like a complete hive mind. For instance one character spots you, doesn't directly tell the other AI where you are in a way that is projected to the player and every AI homes in on you like flies to shit.

AI that insta-kills you with absolute accuracy in a very small window of time. Or : Jackals from Halo 2 on Legendary, enemy AI in R63: Raven Shield.

Also stun locks you can't get out of.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Let me tell you fuckers about a little game called Drakengard 3 and its final boss battle.

Imagine if a Dynasty Warriors game had a final boss and that final boss was an incredibly difficult rhythm game. A rhythm game so difficult that there are youtube videos dedicated to beating it by sequencing up the video with the game so it is easier to time the button presses. Oh and there is a final note when the screen goes black and you can't see it.

Watched a video of that and it definitely seemed like grade A bullshit. There are several moments where you can't even see your character or the camera is so close that you can't see the ring things coming at you. At first I was like "this doesn't seem too bad" but then it goes on and on and you get rings that are barely apart.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Sombra in overwatch

Sombras entire gameplan in the competitive levels is not sneak around and make clutch hacks, but to build up her ultimate emp, using her permant invisibility and recall beacon which she can place and recall back to as long as its not destroyed.

Now most ultimates are pretty good so wanting to build one up for your gameplan, but almost all of them have counterplay, DVA can eat most thrown at you, if you have zen or lucio they can counter use their ults and negate most if not all of the damage that would be done, you can kill an ulting brig or Genji to stop their ults, but EMP has no counterplay because its ability is to lock out all the abilities of the characters it hits (other than primary fire and some secondary fires)

So your team builds up a gameplan and spaces out their ults but a permantly invisible sombra can silence your whole team with minimum effort and get away because of her instant recall button.
And if you are plating zenyatta , symetra, and zarya the emp destroys all the shield health you have taking off half your health.

its just not fun to play against at all in a semi cordinated enviorment.

(p.s. I know you can trans the emp if you see it coming but its literally .3 seconds to react. and you can stun her out of emp but if you do so its actually pure luck or sombra beefing big time)

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Watched a video of that and it definitely seemed like grade A bullshit. There are several moments where you can't even see your character or the camera is so close that you can't see the ring things coming at you. At first I was like "this doesn't seem too bad" but then it goes on and on and you get rings that are barely apart.

One of my proudest achievements in video games is getting to the second to last sequence without using the youtube video. But once I died I couldn't do it without it any longer. Shame because I think the song is fantastic.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of mechanics in FFXIV. 1HKO mechanics that aren't explained and you need to figure yourself by dying over and over. And then there is BS like Twisters.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Some of y'all are using unfair way too loosely.

Those rhythm shits in drakengard are pretty dumb. Maybe not unfair, but it's not the core mechanics of the game, and feels like a final test for a different game.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

wtf... well this certainly beats anything I was gonna post lol
that's some Grade A Bullshit right there o_0

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
God of War 2 has some of the most ridiculously unfair quick time events, especially during the pre-final battle with Zeus.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
wtf... well this certainly beats anything I was gonna post lol
that's some Grade A Bullshit right there o_0

It is perhaps the most difficult thing I have done in an single player game. Plus, even when using the video, it is difficult getting it to sync with the game which can (and does) fuck you up.

Thanks Yoko Taro.

BradWardFight

Oct 27, 2017
Calgary
Bayonetta 1 will absolutely trash your platinum medal runs if you forget that some fights open with enemies attack you straight away. There's also QTEs before, during, and sometimes after boss fights that will instantly kill you if you miss them. Those are fun.

Oh, and getting enough hearts to increase your health bar permanently only gives you back a small amount of HP. Using healing items also greatly penalizes your final score in a level.

I'm not the person who said "all of GoW1", but as someone who played through the bulk of the campaign with a friend on Insane maybe a year after GoWU came out, I can safely say that every time the game decides to split you and your co-op partner up, the game becomes a cheap fucking pile of aggravating garbage. Once you and your partner have a wall between you, it's like you're either immediately subject to a dozen wretches, or Theron Guards with Torque Bows. It's horrendous.
Played Solo
Kryll
Turret segments
Beserker segments 1 & 2
Playing through Judgement, 1,2,2 dlc , 3 , 3 DLC, Judgement DLC & 4 back to back.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
COD campaigns on the hardest difficulities.
GTA Online AI. AI would randomly become terminators out of nowhere.

Both have to do a lot with AI being terminators.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
COD campaigns on the hardest difficulities.

COD: WaW was a grenade factory simulator.
My pick is Homeworld 2. The game throws ridiculous opponents as you progress, but what it doesn't tell you is that your opposition is scaled to the fleet you finished the last mission with. So if you scuttle everything after every mission, the game becomes much easier (since you also gain back the resources to build the fleet). But my dumb ass didn't know that and ended trudging through the game facing 1000+ fleets of kill you quickly ships, while my meager fleet could only stand if I micromanaged every millisecond of the fight.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Blood, extra crispy difficulty. Unfair as a description doesn't even do it justice, it's downright sadistic. It makes Dark Souls look like a cakewalk.

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018

If you fail one of those " rings" you die? Or you can get some hits? And, when the screen goes black, how can you know when to press the butons? It seems incredibly difficult, even some of those " rings" are not visible because the camera is placed oddly. ( Watched the Youtube video and I'm shocked)

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Mechanics where they actually run counter to what the game is supposed to be. The 1st Valkyria Chronicles for example, where you are being rewarded for rush rush rush rush rush instead of deliberate, careful strategizing.

Deleted member 16753

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jackals in Halo 2 Legendary difficulty. Almost anything that is a one shot kill in FPS games is bull, but those guys you couldn't even react to.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm fairly sure the Battletoads bike section moves too fast for the human eye to perceive.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Rubber banding in Mario Kart. I swear, in the N64 version when a CPU opponent falls down a cliff he immediately respawns at full speed (in the 150cc mode).

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Super Bosses in Xenoblade 2 with Doom status. Or that fucking stupid True Bared Counter. Such horseshit design.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Instant game over in Persona when the protagonist dies in battle has always been bullshit

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
The original Dark Souls had a whole fucking thing for me. So there's a spot in New Londo Ruins...
...where you enter a fog door to go into a small room with a spirally staircase going down. Fog doors are one-way until you beat the boss beyond 'em, so you are effectively trapped in this room. Since you have no other options, you go down, only to notice the stairway stops abruptly, and there's nothing but a pitch black abyss below you. Some helpful bloodstains might be around, telling you jump down, and be careful, so you drop down and die. Annoying, but you might assume you missed something, so you go back and give that room another thorough look, however doing that will get you stuck again. No way out other than to die in the abyss yet again. Looking up online, you find that you actually have to defeat a boss before you can go there, so you look for the boss, but somehow the game glitches and the boss doesn't actually reappear once you died once. Turns out the boss can jump out of bounds and kill itself.

Well, the boss is gone, so time to try that one one fog door in New Londo Ruins again. Unfortunately you still die when you drop down. Time to Google it yet again. Turns out you needed to fight Sif to get a ring. The ring makes a reference to "the abyss" in its description, but I wouldn't have known the New Londo Ruins door was leading towards that had I not looked it up. Questionable progression and flow aside, none of that was helpful since Sif's gone and lost access to its loot. Luckily the Sif glitch was common enough that plenty of folks had been asking the question already. Rather than fixing its shit, From added a bandaid solution where they dumped the ring in a chest near Frampt. Not sure how they expected people to know this, but whatever. At this point I was ready to get it over with So multiple detours later, you're finally back in that one spot in New Longo Ruins with your ring so you can drop into a nameless hole that you're supposed to smell that it's the Abyss. Definitely remember to equip the ring though, since magic rings don't work passively, and your character is really fussy about the amount of rings you can wear at the same time.

The whole process felt like some Castlevania 2 nonsense. I'd have no clue what to do half the time, and nothing about it guided me in the right direction. I had no context what or where the abyss was, or why it was special in the sense that it operated on different rules than the rest of the game. Experimenting myself even pushed me to the wrong conclusions. I think even if the game didn't glitch out on me with Sif, I'd still have to look it up.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Mimic chests? You can actually see if they're mimics by looking closely and seeing if they are breathing gently.
You can also check by throwing a Lloyds talisman at them
I know this now BUT back then i was like wtf just happened. Yup mimic it is, couldnt remember the name of this evil chests