• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Frostpunk. A small, but well designed game that really grabbed my attention while playing. I'd recommend everyone to try it out.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Agreed. I loved Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Playing it at the moment, I agree to a certain degree. Visuals are amazing, I love the tombs, the exploration and the environments. But boi, the writing and those dialogues are so bad. Especially in the beginning hours of the game, it's a train wreck. I'm somewhere half way through and am glad that the game stopped with those horrible conversations between Lara and Jonah.
Other than that, I feel it's a very good game and a real shame that it didn't get that much attention last year.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
One launched too early in the year and the other too late.

Full Metal Furies
large.jpg

I was a bit fed-up with this artstyle, but the gameplay is really tight. It works best when played with a friend. I reached the first ending with a friend in local co-op. It is a grind for the real ending, so we didn't bother.
Enemies can have armor that makes them immune to you, so your friend has to hit them (or you switch chars when solo).
It is like a Beat 'em up with Diablo/MOBA-like cooldowns

Gris
grisgif1.gif

It received lots of praise due to the artstyle, but it is more than that. Besides art and emotion, it is also a very decent platformer with some minor puzzles.
When I watched this gif the first time I thought it would be too "floaty", but it felt right playing it.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems Cross Code is coming to Switch so I'm looking forward to that.

Wizard of Legend gets my vote for 2018. Fantastic game, I still haven't managed to complete it but love collecting new abilities and hoping I get favoured for the RNG gods each run.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Hitman 2 is an easy choice but it made plenty of top 10-20 lists. Mutant Year Zero was a game that caught me by surprise.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
*Reads op*

Yeah... Well my answer is poor Red Dead Redemption 2. Seriously, more people should play it!

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Missed this one completely somehow but this image completely grabbed me.

I went to Steam and was wondering if there was a Switch version and found an amusing post about how they get that question all the time. Short answer: it isn't happening. It was written completely in HTML 5 and there's no easy way to port it. I'll still grab it for PC though.
Yeah, about that...

https://youtu.be/2XU9lz45tKU

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Spider-Man got all the praise and recognition it deserves. Wouldn't say it's underrated at all.

The most underrated game of 2018 was also the most underrated game of 2014- DKC Tropical Freeze.

Also The Messenger.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
Spider-man is not underrated but overshadowed (like Horizon was when released in the same year as Zelda and Mario). It's the best-selling superhero game ever and has gotten praise from fans and critics everywhere. It's my #1 for 2018.

Detroit: Become Human is underrated. I can't even believe it wasn't even nominated for Best Soundtrack—Kara's theme is insanely good. Also, the actors should have won awards, especially Connor. This was my #2 for 2018.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Missed this one completely somehow but this image completely grabbed me.

I went to Steam and was wondering if there was a Switch version and found an amusing post about how they get that question all the time. Short answer: it isn't happening. It was written completely in HTML 5 and there's no easy way to port it. I'll still grab it for PC though.

Switch version is happening now apparently (sorry if this was already mentioned earlier in the thread):

http://www.radicalfishgames.com/?p=6668

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Having just finished it, I feel Shadow of the Tomb Raider is overly underrated. I found it to be a great game, especially if you're willing to play the stealth way. Very good puzzles/tombs, too, and awesome graphics.
Agree with this alot. I thought the previous two were ok but Shadow was really, really good. Felt like they had really found their confidence in what they wanted the trilogy to be.

It's a shame it's probably not going to be continued, I bought it at release and it was half off like two weeks later :/

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
That's a tough question because a lot of hidden gems that I'd choose never had a large reach to begin with.

Star Traders: Frontiers would be my #1 pick (it was also my GOTY), but honestly the market for this type of game is pretty low. It's an staggeringly deep sandbox rpg/sim full of factional political intrigue, robust economy systems and lots of fiddly bits (captaining & maintaining a starship, trade, etc.).

Now Two Point slides more into the mainstream appeal category. It's a gloriously charming followup to the classic Theme Hospital sharing much of the core dev team of the original. Sports a killer candy-coated presentation with a surprising level of depth under the hood. Just a fine, polished package all around.

Dusk landed pretty late in the year (Dec. 10th) so it missed a lot of GOTY conversations. It's a shame 'cause it reminds me a lot of Doom (2016) in that it combines the mechanical roots of Quake-era shooters with modern QoL sensibilities. Blisteringly fast and liquid smooth with incredible level design that just gets more and more complex and wacky the further you progress the campaign.

crookedaxis

Oct 27, 2017
Forza Horizon 4. It was praised everywhere, but when i take a look at Metacritic there are some games with a higher score, but i don't agree with that! so i don't know, maybe it's just underrated.
am i doing this right, OP?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Vampyr, easily.

The lore was incredible, really calls back to the Vampire Masquerade game back in the day. Although there were obvious flaws in the game due to budget constraints, I felt it was a real gem and a very unique RPG.

I truly hope Dontnod get another shot at the franchise and the budget to do more next time.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Forza Horizon 4. It was praised everywhere, but when i take a look at Metacritic there are some games with a higher score, but i don't agree with that! so i don't know, maybe it's just underrated.
am i doing this right, OP?

FH4 has probably the highest Metascore for a racing game since 15 years, so what's your point ?
Spider-Man and RDR2 are both action-adventure story-driven game which took place in an open-world

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think I've ever seen this game even mentioned on this forum. Despite it being made by the World of Goo devs. Despite it having a Switch release.

This is an extremely tricky and satisfying puzzle game.

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
HITMAN 2 for sure. It's a 95/100 for me and is everything I've wanted. The level design and attention to detail is fantastic. There is really nothing like it, and I it would definitely be one of my top 5 desert island games because of its replayability.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing it at the moment, I agree to a certain degree. Visuals are amazing, I love the tombs, the exploration and the environments. But boi, the writing and those dialogues are so bad. Especially in the beginning hours of the game, it's a train wreck. I'm somewhere half way through and am glad that the game stopped with those horrible conversations between Lara and Jonah.
Other than that, I feel it's a very good game and a real shame that it didn't get that much attention last year.

The major problem I have with it is the awful level design of the first two large hub locations. There's a lot of tedium in the game because of it. Having just finished it, I can honestly say the final 1/4 of the game was the absolute best for me, with the visuals really impressing and the more linear, combat-focused portions having way better pacing and gameplay.

The game has flashes of brilliance and moments where it really shines, and overall I like it more than Rise of the Tomb Raider due to the overall setting (lush jungle vs boring Siberia), but there are some downright abysmal sections to the game. The visuals really take a hit in the first town you come to and in Paititi.

I really think it's a shame what happened to this trilogy after the amazing first entry.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
The major problem I have with it is the awful level design of the first two large hub locations. There's a lot of tedium in the game because of it. Having just finished it, I can honestly say the final 1/4 of the game was the absolute best for me, with the visuals really impressing and the more linear, combat-focused portions having way better pacing and gameplay.

The game has flashes of brilliance and moments where it really shines, and overall I like it more than Rise of the Tomb Raider due to the overall setting (lush jungle vs boring Siberia), but there are some downright abysmal sections to the game. The visuals really take a hit in the first town you come to and in Paititi.

I really think it's a shame what happened to this trilogy after the amazing first entry.

One very small detail also bummed me out: Lara now has a flashlight similar to the characters in the Uncharted games. In the previous games, she had that cool glowing stick that added a lot to the atmosphere. I was so sad when I realized it :-(

king_kerry

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
CrossCode only because of "for 2018." This game came out in late December and is easily a contender for game of the year. Glad to see it's gaining the same recognition as Hollow Knight (came out in December, gained popularity in the following year). Besides that I would say, Wandersong. It should be recognized in the same light as something like Into the Forest.

Jul 20, 2018
I want to say Minit but I feel like it got as much attention and praise that a game of its type is likely to get. Still deserves more.

But I guess I'm gonna say Iconoclasts. Not a perfect game and a lot of times I was left scratching my head by the story, but the art, animation, music, and gameplay are all S tier. I can't believe this game was made by one dude. It was reviewed well, but it should have got more attention.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Its just like gamers to say that the most underrated game of the year was a highly acclaimed best selling GOTY nominee.
It has to be CrossCode.
APVaqbP.gif

This game is so criminally underlooked. If you're looking for a fantastic RPG to play, grab this. You won't be disappointed.
:thinking:
Ill see if it has a Switch version.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
51QgBG5a48L._AC_SX215_.jpg

Best MMA game to date.

Excellent visuals, fantastic damage and hit detection, great striking and a pretty solid ground game/grappling system.

Even better, the team continues to update the game with refinements and additional fighters for free.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom come for me. It sold above expectations but specifically on this website it's not mentioned very often (justifiably so).

I wish more people would give it a chance, but I understand why they don't want to (and I ain't talking about the Euro Jank).

My GOTY for sure.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
For me personally it's Kingdom Come, but I'm not sure if I should actually call it underrated because most of the criticisms I heard about it are kinda right.

You either like its melee system or you don't. Based on what I've heard the console versions are also to be avoided, which is a big issue for most people. Part of this is that the save system, while a brave attempt, sucks in execution and you should just go ahead and mod it on PC.

The stuff with the controversy, the historical accuracy angle, and the melee combat, distracted people from what I actually liked about KCD. Firstly and chiefly, it's willingness to slow down and be less violent than mainstream open-world games. Everything in KCD is more spread-out compared to Skyrim or Horizon Zero Dawn: combat, collectibles, etc. Bandit camps aren't lying right outside towns but instead they're in more remote parts of forests. You spend a ton of time actually just solving crimes like some medieval cop adventure game.

KCD's attempts at verisimilitude and pacing are actually reminiscent of Shenmue (it's not as slow as Shenmue 1), which is also a love-it-or-hate-it experience. It's the kind of thing you either see as boring tedium or an immersive anchor to a living world. I also hear KCD is really good for fans of older 3D WRPGs like Morrowind and Gothic but I still haven't gotten to those games.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I mostly agreed with average ratings the games I played got, so I will will go with underappreciated instead of underrated.

Astro Bot for sure. It had a lot of hype here, but outside, nobody knows and nobody cares. There is one guy on youtube who posted videos with the hidden bots in the levels and he got like 5k views. Physical copy never made it to most stores.