• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Golem Twins in Chrono Trigger are definitely up there for me. The game is extraordinarily easy outside of this fight, but I died like 3 times because I just got absolutely crushed on the first turn before I could even make any moves. Basically just felt like random luck, and the one time I fought it where I didn't get completely crushed on the first turn it was an easy fight. The fight pissed me off so badly when I played the game.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Some of the fights in Divinity: Original Sin II are like this on Classic Mode (normal difficulty). The spikes in the major setpieces are crazy, especially the end-game fight if you don't select the "right" options, ugh.

MikonJuice

Jan 23, 2019
81ggh0f6sUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I can't get past the very first boss battle! The first!

There are some easy battles... almost tutorial like easy, and then... BOOM. A Giant battleship!

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
You can somewhat brute force your way through much of the beginning of Final Fantasy Tactics and just kinda turtle your way through the maps. Then this moment hits you:

6-capture_29012011_103243.png

And suddenly you're on your own. 1v1. And there's a really good chance you don't have the right equipment or the right abilities to deal with him. The "I'm all out of options" strategy for this fight is to play hide & seek while you stat boost Ramza for like 50 turns.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I love Disgaea games. I quit Disgaea 3 because after beating a chapter boss with relative ease, the junk mobs slaughtered me at the beginning of the next chapter. I did the usual Disgaea grinding and after a couple hours tried again...same result despite being much stronger. Frustrated me so much I gave up. Someday I might go back.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Wily in megaman 7.

7 is easily the most forgiving of the main series games. In addition to the main 8 weapons you get:
Rush Coil, rush jet, rush search, the super adapter which gives you a homing charged shot and lets you fly. You hold 4 E tanks, 4 W tanks and 1 super tank that refills everything. You can even earn protoman's shield which protects you from certain projectile attacks. You can get beat to catch you if you fall in a pit up to 4 times per level.

Most bosses are fairly easy when you know their weakness and only Bass will give you any major trouble. Then you get to wily's second form, who teleports around the screen, often out of reach of your weapons, and each time he appears he launches 4 fast moving, homing projecties at you. Two of them just take off a chunk of health. One freezes you in place. Another burns you for damage over time. They also criss cross each other's path as they move making them very hard to avoid. Wily has no pattern and will still fire these things at you even if you can't fire back.

His one weakness? The coil spring. A weapon that bounces along the ground in an arc. Which you must use to fight a guy who spends 90% of the fight out of your shooting range. That means you need to be in a specific place at a specific time relative to wily to even launch the attack, let alone hit. Most strategies for this fight involve intentionally getting hit by wily in order to avoid his weapons, that's how bad the fight is.

The worst part is that Keiji inafune did this as a prank. He just said to the designers "Let's make the last fight insanely hard" and those madmen let him. They just let him.

Most boss fights, even the hard ones, require you to call upon everything you have learned before in the game. Or at least to call upon the one think you haven't used yet. This one requires you to invent entirely new strategies on the fly AND be prepared ahead of time.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a couple encounters in Doom 2016 that are way harder than the rest of the game. I always have trouble with the room after you get the BFG and the room where there's a mancubus being operated on a table.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
You can somewhat brute force your way through much of the beginning of Final Fantasy Tactics and just kinda turtle your way through the maps. Then this moment hits you:

And suddenly you're on your own. 1v1. And there's a really good chance you don't have the right equipment or the right abilities to deal with him. The "I'm all out of options" strategy for this fight is to play hide & seek while you stat boost Ramza for like 50 turns.

Yeah this was the only fight I had trouble with in the game. I had no choice but to use the tailwind abuse.

Eric_S

Nov 29, 2017
Snake Rattle and Roll for the NES.

The two first levels are utterly delightfully breezy and fun. With no difficulty to speak of.

Then the rest of the game rolls along, with the difficulty dialed to NES hard, as in Turtles underwater hydrodam level hard.

Feb 5, 2018
And beating them is required to see the story. Call them whatever you want; their difficulty is leaps and bounds above anything in the main game.

Excellent design, though. I loved fighting them.
*secret episode.

Every main game in the franchise, save for DDD, requires you to do pretty hard quests or fight superbosses in order to see the full secret endings.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Luftrausers SFMT mode. ... all of it. Back to the regular mode for me.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

This is it. I only had one save file due to how memory cards worked back in the day. I saved right before the battle and had to start the whole game over from scratch. I wasn't happy. It's still one of my all time favourite games, though.

Mar 10, 2018
Father Gascoigne

Not that Bloodborne is ever 'easy' per say but he's a stone wall right near the start. I know he's supposed to be a skill check, but I don't think any other boss in the game gave me as much trouble.
I would say Ludwig. I feel like The Old Hunters as a whole was specifically tailored for those who bought Bloodborne at or near launch and had already maxed out their stats and completed several NG +'s. For me, a late adopter of the game, the DLC was virtually unplayable at first. Had to use two summons just to beat Ludwig, and I was the only one left standing at the end.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
"Gravemind" in Halo 2 and "Charlie Don't Surf" in Call of Duty 4. Both are agonizingly difficult on their games' respectives highest difficulties, but Gravemind is legendary for its brutal difficulty spike. If you haven't played the level, "Gravemind" opens with you under fire.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
That isn't so bad once you figure out they stop respawning if you damage them to the point they'll just lay on the ground blinking red. Don't kill them.

I made my character combat oriented (I don't even bother hiding from the big daddy expy and just blasted it in seconds with shotgun) and that part is still rough but perfectly manageable.

I can't imagine how terrible that part is for stealth/hacking oriented character...

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I can't really speak for the rest of your examples other than Matador from SMT3: Nocturne.

Matador isn't really a difficult spike but rather a wake up call. If you're using the game's mechanics, you can get through it. If you didn't know about the battle beforehand, the likelihood of you having a Force-resistant squad and Magatama is pretty low. However there's a save point pretty much right outside, so if you lose to him... It's incredibly easy to get back to him. The game has taught you mechanics so far like weaknesses, resistances, and manipulating press turns, so now it's time to apply these things. If you didn't realize already, if you have a demon that nulls force, and he hits them, he loses press turns. Matador is basically a tutorial by showing rather than telling you. It's a boss that's fairly early in the game, and probably the most important thing it teaches you is that those -kaja spells are super important and you should make sure to have some around.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Metroid Prime 2 has 2 of these. the infamous Boost Guardian is the most popular one.
some context:
in this game, there's a dark world version of every area where you take constant damage unless you're in a safe zone.
at first, your suit doesn't have defenses against this and your helth drops by 6 units per second. your suit has 99 HP units + 100 per each extra energy tank.
at one point you get a new suit that reduces damage to 1 per second but you still take damage from the dark world.
well, this boss happens to be the first boss you face after you've got the improved suit and it has several invulnerable phases. the main one he becomes a ball and moves very fast with little down time. it can also dive in a puddle of dark matter and move fast and the period where it is vulnerable is very short (you can maybe do 1/4 of his total HP in that window if you're lucky so that means 4-5 phases minimum). on top of that, in his invulnerable phase he does around 40HP damage to you and at this point in the game you can only have maximum 3 energy tanks. oh and there's no safe zone in the whole arena where you're locked in the fight (there's only 2 fights in the whole game where you're forced to fight in an arena with no safe zone and with a suit that takes damage from the atmosphere and the second fight is near the end when you got way more items against an easier boss)

you can see why this thing made lots of people quit early into the game.

Spider Guardian was infamous too but i never had that much problem with that one since that fight is in a regular world area, meaning that you don't take constant damage and can just take it real slow and wait until you figure it out.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Divinity Original Sin 2 on hard (or what ever its called) has a huge spike in difficulty both when you reach act 2 and act 4. To the point where you can't really go anywhere to even level up. I have found no other way than to slightly abuse game mechanics to get over these humps.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Maybe I didn't grind enough despite spending hours in most dungeons, but, I found a large portion of Persona 5 to be pretty simple/fair but then the entire ending portion I found a lot more difficult than the entire game itself lol. It felt like there was this huge difficulty spike for the true ending portion of the game, which I don't regret doing but I did suffer a lot through that section.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Alpha 3 M. Bison.

"Don't mind me, I'm just going to use my SCREEN-FILLING PSYCHO CRUSHER."

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Wily in megaman 7.

7 is easily the most forgiving of the main series games. In addition to the main 8 weapons you get:
Rush Coil, rush jet, rush search, the super adapter which gives you a homing charged shot and lets you fly. You hold 4 E tanks, 4 W tanks and 1 super tank that refills everything. You can even earn protoman's shield which protects you from certain projectile attacks. You can get beat to catch you if you fall in a pit up to 4 times per level.

Most bosses are fairly easy when you know their weakness and only Bass will give you any major trouble. Then you get to wily's second form, who teleports around the screen, often out of reach of your weapons, and each time he appears he launches 4 fast moving, homing projecties at you. Two of them just take off a chunk of health. One freezes you in place. Another burns you for damage over time. They also criss cross each other's path as they move making them very hard to avoid. Wily has no pattern and will still fire these things at you even if you can't fire back.

His one weakness? The coil spring. A weapon that bounces along the ground in an arc. Which you must use to fight a guy who spends 90% of the fight out of your shooting range. That means you need to be in a specific place at a specific time relative to wily to even launch the attack, let alone hit. Most strategies for this fight involve intentionally getting hit by wily in order to avoid his weapons, that's how bad the fight is.

The worst part is that Keiji inafune did this as a prank. He just said to the designers "Let's make the last fight insanely hard" and those madmen let him. They just let him.

Most boss fights, even the hard ones, require you to call upon everything you have learned before in the game. Or at least to call upon the one think you haven't used yet. This one requires you to invent entirely new strategies on the fly AND be prepared ahead of time.
Even with cheats this fight takes FOREVER, it's terrible.

Minastepes

May 3, 2018
Kisiljevo
Star Ocean First departure :

The game is a breeze to go through until you reach a certain town where normal battle get rougher by a large margin.

Deleted member 20433

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only thing I can think of in recent memory is the final boss in Quantum Break. Played through it on the hardest difficulty without having any problems up until the last encounter.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Sudeki's last boss being a huge fucking spike in difficulty. The whole game was very easy but the last boss could one shot my party members if i remember correctly. I never beat him because i didn't care enough to grind a few levels just so that i could see the ending.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Zelda 2 Death Mountain always seemed like it was an endgame area moved to the beggining.
And the original Kid Icarus had so many health and attack upgrades that the hardest level was the first.

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
King Arthur: The Role-playing War Game - Goes from pretty easy to suddenly I'm being constantly bumrushed by hordes of armies consisting of powerful units.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
The Krogan mercenary fight when you go to rescue Liara in Mass Effect 1. Died like 30 times on that, and there's like a 2 minute unskippable cutscene right before the fight. It almost made me stop playing right there.

Then there were a few other huge difficulty spikes later on that made me eventually turn the difficulty down from normal to casual.

Mass Effect 2 was so much better, my favorite in the trilogy.

Then Mass Effect 3 had a few annoying difficulty spikes again (like the fight with the big charging Brute Husks on the Turian homeworld).

Yōkai_0h-No

Nov 20, 2018
I'm playing Sea Salt (It's on gamepass) and it has gotten incredibly hard once you reach the city levels. My minions get one-shot by elites and there are traps and barricades everywhere.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing a bunch of random 16-bit games and there tends to be BS final stages/bosses that are harder than anything else in the game.
Psycho Dream on the Super Famicom and Soldier Blade & Blazing Lasers on the TG-16 immediately come to mind. It's like the developers tried to come up with something new, but they had to abandon all of the mechanics that players became accustomed to.

Wily in megaman 7.

There's so much truth here.

Megaman 7 goes from the easiest Megaman game by a mile to one of the hardest in a single boss-fight.
I hate this game so much.

Last edited:

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I just played Mysteries of the Sith and lightsaber fighting is so broken due to how few ways there are to defend (melee damage bypasses shields). Last few levels of the game you're on a Sith planet with only your lightsaber and it switches to nothing but melee enemies, including these incredibly fast cats that take off half your health with one swipe. Sometimes you face 3 at a time and it takes 4 lightsaber hits to kill one. If you didn't pick the right force powers it's impossible.

2429073-vornskr.png

jedi-knight-mysteries-of-the-sith-pc-97.jpg

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

The whole game is Mario for babies until the last castle where I resorted to save states to get through it.