• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Kojima continues to be a prophet. First he predicted the digital information manipulation and memes in MGS2. Now Death Stranding predicted that the world will be 'disconnected' from each other....sooner or later, only the Fedex and DHL man will be our main source of 'physical connection' to another continent.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, trump is a dumbass, but I don't understand what's wrong in imposing more travel restrictions?

Countries like France, Spain, and especially Italy are getting more and more infested with the disease, and it only makes sense to make the move to stop the flow of the disease, it would be better for both Europe and America.

Am I like, missing something? Cause I dont see it.
The virus is already in the US. Most of the US cases will now be homegrown. The ban is very easy to circumvent. Unless they literally ban French citizens, for instance, a French person can literally hop on the Eurostar or take a plane, and fly from heathrow - which might be what they would have done anyway. Free movement means your passport doesn't show where you have been. No stamps. You could have been in the UK for one day or ten years, they have no way to tell. The UK is just a few days behind France and Italy - why exclude them ? They will be hit just the same.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a little concerned.
My wife and I have flights booked from Germany to the US on 4/15 so technically after the ban is supposed to be lifted.
Now that ban doesn't include US citizens (which I am) and their spouses but we need to get tested for the virus? How does that work?
Do they take swabs at the airport in the US or do we need to see a doctor and get a document that says we're not infected?
What a shit-show.

Hrothgar

Nov 6, 2017
And yesterday I jokingly said to a friend that we should ban all flights from the US due to the sheer ineptitude in their handling of the virus...

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Does trump know that UK still has freedom of movement till the end of the year?

Edit: I just remembered he has 2 golf courses here. He would lose money if people couldn't fly to them.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
To be fair to Trump, it's to do with Schengen not free movement. Schengen means there's no border controls for people between most EU countries (Ireland and the UK apart). Because of Schengen it's not possible to say whether someone has been in Italy or not via their passport as it is not scanned or stamped. Even though the UK and Ireland have free movement currently, EU (and UK citizens) are still required to present their passport at the border where it is scanned and the entry recorded.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to Trump, it's to do with Schengen not free movement. Schengen means there's no border controls for people between most EU countries (Ireland and the UK apart). Because of Schengen it's not possible to say whether someone has been in Italy or not via their passport as it is not scanned or stamped. Even though the UK and Ireland have free movement currently, EU (and UK citizens) are still required to present their passport at the border where it is scanned and the entry recorded.
Actually that's quite right.
And that's make this ban well thought out, the UK does check almost every passport that comes in. I say almost because sometimes between Dover and Calais they don't (I remember I was coming back from the Alps in a bus and the group leader of our tour went to speak to one of the border control officers then he came back and simply asked "is everyone here British?" And that was enough for the officials to let everyone pass..lol)

Deleted member 9237

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, trump is a dumbass, but I don't understand what's wrong in imposing more travel restrictions?

Countries like France, Spain, and especially Italy are getting more and more infested with the disease, and it only makes sense to make the move to stop the flow of the disease, it would be better for both Europe and America.

Am I like, missing something? Cause I dont see it.
Travel restrictions make sense. Travel restrictions that include the entire Schengen area are...drastic, but arguable. However, any measure that does that should also include a number of other nations outside Schengen. The infection rate in both Ireland and the UK is relatively low, per capita, compared to many other countries in Europe, but not dramatically out of line. Any sensible travel restrictions should also include other nations (and probably not be quite as dramatic as this).

There's the following additional considerations:

- Trump announced this without consulting with seemingly anyone in Europe. That's not just stupid, it's malicious and dangerous.

- Trump got on TV and just spewed out words that were distant cousins of the words on the prompter. That meant that there was (and still is) a lot of confusion about exactly what he was announcing. We still have people thinking that only the UK is excluded. Among many, many other problems with what he said, he started off blaming "the European Union", announced a travel ban on "Europe", and later it turned out that the restriction was specifically the Schengen Area. These are all different things.

- Trump also announced a ban on trade with Europe. That's also related to his inability to do basic things like reading and speaking without causing international problems, but it's important enough that it needs to be stressed separately. Trump went live on TV and announced that he was going to break the economy of two continents. It's understandable that people reacted to what was announced.

Ghost Flights are absolutely a thing.

www.popularmechanics.com

Why Airlines Are Flying Empty Ghost Planes

The problem has been brewing for a while, but it's worse than ever before.
This is currently true. However, among the many things being discussed by EU leaders is some kind of relaxation of the rule that airlines have to fulfil a certain percentage of flights or risk their slots. It's entirely possible that those ghost flights will stop. That would leave US citizens in Europe, with no legal restriction on returning to the USA, but without any easy way to make that journey.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Because Trump is buddies with Boris Johnson
Because Trump hates European Union with great passion. This is Trump's way of saying that UK made a "wise" decision with Brexit.

In this case not really. It's about tracing. Because in Ireland/UK is not in the schengen treaty you can tell where someone entered the UK/Ireland from before coming to the US, you can't do that reliably in the rest of the EU because passports are not needed to travel between countries in schengen zone. So for instance you can't ban anyone who's been in Italy in the last two weeks, because for 445 million EU citizens there's no actual record of whether they've been there or not. Schengen is one passport border, if you're banning a subsection of it (people from Italy or who have visited Italy) you need to ban people from all of it.

I'm no fan of Trump or his administration but there's actually method to the madness here.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
The virus has just hit London and the UK is excluded, now all European transit will be funnelled through Heathrow, which will become an infection hotspot.

Trump, and his voters, are the dumbest people on the planet.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In this case not really. It's about tracing. Because in Ireland/UK is not in the schengen treaty you can tell where someone entered the UK/Ireland from before coming to the US, you can't do that reliably in the rest of the EU because passports are not needed to travel between countries in schengen zone. So for instance you can't ban anyone who's been in Italy in the last two weeks, because for 445 million EU citizens there's no actual record of whether they've been there or not. Schengen is one passport border, if you're banning a subsection of it (people from Italy or who have visited Italy) you need to ban people from all of it.

I'm no fan of Trump or his administration but there's actually method to the madness here.
Not sure why people blame Schengen. It's essentially like the United States. No one checks you when you go from state to state either. Trump is banning EU and faulting it for the same things that US vulnerable too. *shrug*

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
I'm a little concerned.
My wife and I have flights booked from Germany to the US on 4/15 so technically after the ban is supposed to be lifted.
Now that ban doesn't include US citizens (which I am) and their spouses but we need to get tested for the virus? How does that work?
Do they take swabs at the airport in the US or do we need to see a doctor and get a document that says we're not infected?
What a shit-show.

Maybe go the doctors note route. As of a week ago airports in the US were not doing anything in prevention of the virus. My boyfriend came home from South Korea last week he said in Korea the airport was covered with hazmat teams checking people and disinfectant teams. When he landed in Texas a state that at that time had confirmed cases the place was business as usual.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The virus has just hit London and the UK is excluded, now all European transit will be funnelled through Heathrow, which will become an infection hotspot.
Although this is a common theory, I think the reality is going to be much simpler. There are very few Europeans with a desperate need to get to the United States. Travel in general is way down anyway. The majority of people who want to go from Europe to the USA will not want that so much that try to sidestep this ban.

The ban itself also prevents this. It applies to anyone who is not a citizen of the US who has been to any Schengen country in the 14 days before arrival in the USA. That might not always be easy to check and enforce, but that's what the ban us.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Not sure why people blame Schengen. It's essentially like the United States. No one checks you when you go from state to state either. Trump is banning EU and faulting it for the same things that US vulnerable too. *shrug*

Because Italy is a hot zone with the virus rapidly spreading and an acute breakdown of healthcare provision. If South Carolina was a massive hot zone for it, travellers from the US would be banned elsewhere not just South Carolina. It's the same concept.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Although this is a common theory, I think the reality is going to be much simpler. There are very few Europeans with a desperate need to get to the United States. Travel in general is way down anyway. The majority of people who want to go from Europe to the USA will not want that so much that try to sidestep this ban.

The ban itself also prevents this. It applies to anyone who is not a citizen of the US who has been to any Schengen country in the 14 days before arrival in the USA. That might not always be easy to check and enforce, but that's what the ban us.

You do realise that the UK also has the virus? All it takes is for one person to reach the states and it'll spread...

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
You do realise that the UK also has the virus? All it takes is for one person to reach the states and it'll spread...
Please tell me the specific part of my post that made you think that I'm so totally clueless that I don't know which countries have the virus and which don't.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland

Trump, and his voters, are the dumbest people on the planet.
I'm convinced you could get a group of 7 year old in a room, tell them the world's problems and they would come up with better governance than the right wing in America.

Jan 10, 2018
Because Italy is a hot zone with the virus rapidly spreading and an acute breakdown of healthcare provision. If South Carolina was a massive hot zone for it, travellers from the US would be banned elsewhere not just South Carolina. It's the same concept.
America still doesn't know the hot beds because of the incomptence of its federal rulers

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
the virus is already in the us, and whatever infected people may come by plane is a drop in the ocean compared to your now home-grown cases.
It won't change anything now.
irrational pantomime.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I hate to say it, but he should have included Canada in the travel ban.

A majority of our cases are already from people who traveled to the US. Would help us out at least.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Trump Golf resorts in the UK: Two.
Trump Golf resorts in the EU: Zero.
There are a few things wrong here (like forgetting that the UK is part of the EU), correct would be:

Trump Golf resorts not in the Schengen area: Three (2x UK, 1x Ireland)
Trump Golf resorts in the Schengen area: Zero

(this might still be wrong, but it's closer to true)

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Comes down to semantics I guess, since while they're officially out, they aren't... out. Idk, maybe that's a personal hangup, and kinda besides the point, so I'll gladly concede.
I should've limited my post to "there are Trump golf resorts in the EU, but lucky for the bastard, none within the Schengen area"

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait! So countries in the Schengen area aren't affected by this ban?
This is so confusing

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this works both ways, because goven your government's response, Americans traveling abroad are a massive liability. 🤷‍♂️
And yesterday I jokingly said to a friend that we should ban all flights from the US due to the sheer ineptitude in their handling of the virus...

Sure, use this as a launchboard as if Americans had any say in it. Love when people say things like this.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There are a few things wrong here (like forgetting that the UK is part of the EU), correct would be:

Trump Golf resorts not in the Schengen area: Three (2x UK, 1x Ireland)
Trump Golf resorts in the Schengen area: Zero

(this might still be wrong, but it's closer to true)
Didn't know about that 2nd resort in UK, thanks.

About the UK part: I feel like the UK already "physically" left the EU in the moment to some degree when the Union Jack flag got taken down in Brussels. But I was more focused on the big difference between the UK and the (rest of) the EU: one has 3 Trump golf resorts and no travel ban - the other has 0 resorts but is banned.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Well, now I'm seeing word that it ONLY applies to foreign nationals and not US citizens and residents...

I don't know what the rules are about keeping their own citizens out of the country if they haven't broken laws etc.
The whole thing is a waste of time anyway, if you time a ban right then you slow the spread by a few months at max, that time has long since passed.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what the rules are about keeping their own citizens out of the country if they haven't broken laws etc.
The whole thing is a waste of time anyway, if you time a ban right then you slow the spread by a few months at max, that time has long since passed.

Yup.
Peak "too little, too late"

suedester

Oct 25, 2017
The point is to slow the spread so hospitals can better cope. I know we all hate Trump but let's not look at everything through such rose tinted spectacles. Reducing the number of possibly infected people into the country isn't the worst thing Trump has done by a long shot.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
one thing I don't understand is, Flights don't appear to be getting cancelled, this isn't a ban on the flights themselves but on the people boarding them.

which makes me think that when you are in, let's say, Frankfurt trying to board a flight to Atlanta you will have to be an american citizen, otherwise boarding will be denied.

is this how it's gonna work?

it says Americans are exempt from the ban but at the same time, the whole Lufthansa crew members are German citizens...are they allowed in??

there really needs to be more info about how this is going to work.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The point is to slow the spread so hospitals can better cope. I know we all hate Trump but let's not look at everything through such rose tinted spectacles. Reducing the number of possibly infected people into the country isn't the worst thing Trump has done by a long shot.

If that was the reason why only those, it should be the whole world more or less. Trump is just doing 'look over here' big headline to hide his mess while sticking it to something he doesn't like, the EU.