• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Yeah, trump is a dumbass, but I don't understand what's wrong in imposing more travel restrictions?

Countries like France, Spain, and especially Italy are getting more and more infested with the disease, and it only makes sense to make the move to stop the flow of the disease, it would be better for both Europe and America.

Am I like, missing something? Cause I dont see it.
The problem is banning the EU as a whole. It makes no sense at this stage.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously I need to know my best bet of actually getting to Europe. Got lost on the last page. Can I from America fly to the UK and then to Denmark?

snake2531

Oct 28, 2017
Currently in Paris with my family and had a flight home scheduled for Saturday evening. We've had to book brand new tickets for an absurd amount of money due to the failure of Delta Airlines' website and phone line just to get home before the ban takes effect. Haven't experienced stress like this in quite a while.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean people in the US can't go to Europe, or people can't leave Europe to the US, or both?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Foreign nationals only? I'm currently in Ghent and was to fly home to NYC on Sunday. Delta has a 4 hour wait and a useless website. It's also 3:30am here. I'm kind of freaking out a little right now.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Trump is an absolute joke and a buffoon, but he didn't write the text on the teleprompter. Somebody royally fucked up the comms on this one. The trade & cargo thing was an immediate mega red flag panic inducer and it turns out that's not even part of the policy at all. How do you make a mistake that huge?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump is an absolute joke and a buffoon, but he didn't write the text on the teleprompter. Somebody royally fucked up the comms on this one. The trade & cargo thing was an immediate mega red flag panic inducer and it turns out that's not even part of the policy at all. How do you make a mistake that huge?

It almost certainly wasn't on the teleprompter. I mean, who writes "Anything coming from Europe to the United States is what we are discussing." in prepared remarks? The previous sentence was probably misread and he didn't know his own policy

Carroway

Oct 25, 2017
In an effort to ease the spread of infection, this seems like a highly ineffective move and is most llikely motivated by something else. Especially if you don't include the UK, which is still part of the EU and has many, many many connecting flights from Europe to Heathrow and onwards to the US. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if Europe suspends flights from the US in "retaliation".

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because people can travel across Europe freely without tracking anyone since they dont have passport controls. If a person is flying to the US out of Poland but spent 3 weeks in Italy right before that there is no way for immigration to see that

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It almost certainly wasn't on the teleprompter. I mean, who writes "Anything coming from Europe to the United States is what we are discussing." in prepared remarks? The previous sentence was probably misread and he didn't know his own policy
His cadence when speaking was really obviously reading (badly). However, you're totally right that this could have been off teleprompter and his staff immediately face palmed

What an absolute cluster of an address

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this works both ways, because goven your government's response, Americans traveling abroad are a massive liability. 🤷‍♂

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they read the news?
I did not say they were smart friends.

I guess they couldnt get refunds is my guess.

So has there been an explanation why UK is exempt even though they have more cases? Reminds me when the muslim ban happened to stop "terrorism" but Saudi Arabia was exempt.

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
This seems so stupid.... so now we're going to get everyone from Europe funnelling through the UK and then to the US?

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
This would make sense, if US had wide set internal policies towards the virus. But they don't so corona keeps spreading regardless of flight ban. Also, if people want to go to US they just fly to London first and from there to US.

Can't see this as anything else but some kind Larry David-esque spite ban.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
This seems so stupid.... so now we're going to get everyone from Europe funnelling through the UK and then to the US?

If you have been to a Schengen Area country in he past 14 days then you cannot go to the US. So they would need to stay in the UK (or another non-Schengen country) for two weeks.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly there's probably a ton of people in the EU that are infected and don't know it right now (same with the US and every other country that has a decent number of confirmed cases).
Unfortunately it's probably too little too late at this point and will only slow things down a little bit.