• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Recent threads on the PS2 got me thinking about how substantial the PS2 Slim redesign was compared to the original model. It went from this huge machine to something the size a two dvd cases in size.

what other console/handheld experienced such a drastic redesign? Only other one I can think of at that magnitude was the DS to the DS Lite.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
NES to NES top loader was pretty drastic. GB to GB pocket. Genesis to Genesis 2. Sega CD 1 to Sega CD 2. PSone wasn't much bigger than the CD you put in it.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
PS2 to PSX and Gamecube to Panasonic Q were substantial in the other direction (Bigger), but those were less redesigns and more secondary products.

GBA to SP was pretty drastic as well.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
GB SP with the backlit screen was such a massive goddamn glowup compared to that shitty excuse for a lamppost for the original design.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS2 slim for sure, especially the model that also incorporated the psu into the console. The PS2 was partially as large as it was due to the hard drive bay, but even if you took that out of the equation, the size down for the slim was amazing.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Sega CDX is another that sort of pushes the definition of "redesign" but for the time putting a genesis + Sega CD into a package that wasn't that much bigger than a lot of portable CD players of the era was pretty incredible.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Even though I prefer the original GBA's design from an aesthetic standpoint, the inclusion of a backlight was just WAY more functional than any home console redesign I can think of.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
s-l640.jpg

300px-Panasonic-Q-Console-Set.jpg

RetroPixl_Retrogaming_retro_Gaming_Sony_PSX_5000_4.jpg

Nintendo-N64-iQue-Player-FL.jpg

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I don't think it was the most substantial, but going from a front-loader to a top-loader as a kid blew my mind.

1200px-Nintendo_Entertainment_System.jpg

NES-101-Console-Set.jpg

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't think it was the most substantial, but going from a front-loader to a top-loader as a kid blew my mind.

1200px-Nintendo_Entertainment_System.jpg

NES-101-Console-Set.jpg
NES to NES top loader was pretty drastic. GB to GB pocket. Genesis to Genesis 2. Sega CD 1 to Sega CD 2. PSone wasn't much bigger than the CD you put in it.
Yeah, top loader NES-101 looks almost like a different console from the original. Entirely different design philosophy and fixes many of the flaws of the original deck.

Side note: the top loader was my first game console and I rarely experienced the sharp corners of the original NES controller thanks to my "dog bone" controller! I was so disappointed to learn it was incompatible with Game Genie though lol

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
NES to NES top loader was pretty drastic.
The original Famicom only had RF output, so the top loader Famicom was a huge improvement in adding composite out. The original NES, meanwhile, had composite out to begin with, but the top loader went backwards and only had RF out. It would be a great system aside from that, but you have to mod it to get not terrible video out.

The most impressive redesign in terms of shrinking the hardware was the PS2 slim, but for improving the usability of the hardware, the best redesign is easily the GBA SP.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Yeah, top loader NES-101 looks almost like a different console from the original. Entirely different design philosophy and fixes many of the flaws of the original deck.

Side note: the top loader was my first game console and I rarely experienced the sharp corners of the original NES controller thanks to my "dog bone" controller! I was so disappointed to learn it was incompatible with Game Genie though lol
Yep. We had our first NES permanently "borrowed" by somebody we thought was a friend, and so we got a top loader as a replacement. The wishbone controller made me forever hate the original one haha

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the first two that came to mind were the ones you already put in the OP, PS2 to PS2 slim and DS to DS Lite. As others have said, GBA to GBA SP is good too

I think Game Boy to Game Boy pocket is a bit underrated? The original GB was massive and the GBP really did live up to its namesake. If only the US got the Game Boy Light, honestly.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
The PS2 Slim is still the king IMO. I'm really looking forward to the PS5 re-design (assuming there is one and not just a "Pro").

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Launch Genesis to the model 2 Genesis, I grew up with the model 2 so the original design always looked weird to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I didn't do this upgrade and regretted it later when I realised how substantial it was.
The screen quality, the form factor and the rechargeable battery all add up to something really special when compared to the original release.

For home consoles, I think the PS2 Slim was such a radically smaller version, combined with the price drop and the introduction of a pink version really opened the machine up to new markets. I worked retail in 04-07 and we sold so many PS2's in that time.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
3DS to 2DS. You could be forgiven in thinking they were 2 different platforms.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
The New 3DS adding eye tracking to make the 3D effect more stable was pretty cool, but the increased hardware power wasn't too big of a deal.

GBA to SP was probably functionally the biggest update I've seen. Fixed both of the massive flaws of the system (folds to protect the screen, rechargeable battery, and a light for the screen). The original GBA was pretty much only usable with a light attachment.

In terms of physical system redesigns the PS2 Slim is still the most impressive one I've ever experienced. It was just so ridiculously small and still had all the functionality as well as built in internet and power brick if I remember right.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
The answer is PS2 - PS2 Slim.

Also, I like that small red Wii, but it seems to be en unpopular opinion lol

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
If the change in size and form factor from PS2 to Slim is anything close to how they'll go from PS5 to Slim, I'd be stoked. Doubt it would come close to that drastic change (for many functional reasons), but I can dream.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
I think it removed the Gamecube backward compatibility and also online functionality, so no online multiplayer or virtual console or anything like that.
Yeah, most console redesigns incorporated more improvements than removed features. The Wii Mini was not one of them. The Genesis 3 also comes to mind.

hasher

Oct 10, 2020
Original DS to DS Lite. The Lite is just impeccably designed and has that sturdy Nintendo feel.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
OG NDS to NDS Lite.

Went from looking like something Microsoft will release (*ahem* OG Zune) to a sleek iPod.

Aug 10, 2019
PS3 slim helped sell a lot more systems as it was half the price of the what the original model launched at, and $100 cheaper than the standard 40 gig model.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
360 Slim because that didn't just make it much prettier and smaller but also not explode when you look at it wrong.