• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
kykiske-bigsuper.gif

Lightning users seem to be rarer than typical elements like fire, ice, or wind, but when done right, they can be super cool.

Pictured above is my favorite lightning user in gaming, Ky Kiske, from the Guilty Gear series.

BB6CF69CCBD6FA25579A85FF2C2924D4D60FD7E1

Ky is the "Player 2" of the franchise, the blue guy as opposed to Sol's red guy. Whereas Sol, the "Player 1," uses fire, Ky uses lightning, which is a nice spin on the usual "fire/ice" dichotomy between opposing or rival characters. The two color schemes clash really well, and Ky's lightning attacks are acrobatic and stylish as opposed to Sol's brutal and heavy flame techniques. I also really like how he has the holy knight aesthetic down, which, again, contrasts with Sol's rockstar outfit.

d82wr7e-fbe20d8d-55bd-462e-9fc1-6d312e497122.jpg

From an in-universe standpoint, lightning is canonically the hardest element to control in the Guilty Gear world, giving Ky's mastery of his Thunderseal blade an extra layer of cool. Being the former leader of the Sacred Order and a universally renowned gear-slayer is pretty awesome, too. I can't wait to see him in action in the upcoming Guilty Gear game, where he's gotten a haircut and looks more combat ready than his overly pretty redesign in the Xrd series.

ky-guiltygear-strive-artwork.png

Who's your favorite lightning user in gaming?

Edit: Please don't post images without context, or text at all

Last edited:

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GivingAshamedAmurstarfish-size_restricted.gif

Titan's Fist of Havoc in Destiny is always super satisfying, so that's my vote.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019
kazuya-ewgf.jpg

DORIYA

Not exactly the the most shocking lightning user of the bunch. But getting hit/hitting that sweet EWGF is just so satisfying and memorable that it was the first thing I thought of over way more obvious stuff like Pikachu.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll throw one down for the Amazon who calls lightning strikes with the snap of her finger
UnripeGlitteringCony-size_restricted.gif

URBOSA (Breath of the Wild)

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Stormtrance in Destiny is one of the most satisfying and fun to use abilities/ skills in any game. So I guess the answer would be my Warlock? :p

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
tumblr_nauy7p2orI1qkz8azo2_500.gif

800px-BlazBlue_Cross_Tag_Battle_Kanji_Tatsumi_Main.png

Kanji Tatsumi from Persona 4. A physical fighter first and foremost, but nevertheless he is the Investigation Team's resident lightning user and just such an awesome and likeable character all-around.

The protagonist from the same game is actually a good second. While he technichally specializes in nothing (or everything, depending on how you look at it), his starter persona Izanagi uses lightning and his canon last name, Narukami, references it as it is the name of a Japanese thunder god (literally it means something like "roaring god" if I'm not mistaken?).

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Any and every Black Mage, naturally. Including Donald Duck.

latest

Oh and give Luigi it back, dang it

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nameless King takes my vote.

Shock Titan from Destiny was the most fun I've had with lightning though.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
bioshock guy/booker

you don't know true palpatine hand lightning power until you do it with a gun in the other

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Kirin from Monster Hunter has been posted, but do you know who's pretty badass too?

latest

Zinogre.

I actually don't like fighting him that much per se, but damn if his moveset doesn't look cool as hell. An enormous breakdancing thunder wolf/wyvern/whatever:

MediocreSmoothKangaroo-size_restricted.gif

His Hunting Horn (one of the fourteen weapons in the game) looks like an electic guitar:

usurpers_growl_plus-mhw-wiki-guide.png

You literally smack monsters on the head with this.

A bit less impressive, but still cool due to the lightning effect, is his hammer:

Q2t5FtC.gif

Last but not least, this is what you hear when you mount him:

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
It's Captain Spark from Super Monday Night Combat.

Fro the wiki:
  • Can "talk" to things like electrical transformers, car batteries and small electrical appliances.
  • Away from the field of combat: is constantly escaping from supposedly inescapable situations or defeating seemingly invincible villains by opening an "ion channel".
  • Is quite possibly just the imagination of Karl Lutz, retired autoworker from Pritchford, Alabama who was reportedly placed on psychiatric leave after showing up dressed as his "alter-ego", Captain Spark, in order to fight crime at the auto plant where he worked for twenty-seven years.

Last edited:

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
6e3cd02fbe2c511f4c480be57cdefcfb.jpg

xXPFmxL.gif

Cole Mcgrath,The demon of Empire City, one of my favorites of all time

InFamous remastered collection, please - I can dream!

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I hate how Monday night combat died (I never played SMNC)

Feel like it released just a bit too early as a mp focused GAAS thing

That shit was great

I honestly believe SMNC was the best MOBA ever made. The fact that middling games like Smite succeeded where SMNC failed still irks me to this day. SMNC was a gem.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
galford-suicide.gif

sorry poppy

I don't know why, since not even most of his attacks are electric based, but every time i think "electric fighter" galford comes to my mind first. guess i just played him too much back in the day

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Urbosa, she can summon lightning storms with the snap of her fingers.

latest

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
One-and-done: OP has me covered... Ky-Kiske is legit one of my favorite characters in all of gaming and absolutely my favorite fighting game character.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017

The one, the only, Thunder God Cid.

My man. The one and only. He's so immensely powerful that once you have him in your party, it's pretty much easy street to the end of the game. He is immensely powerful and near broken in many games he guests in.

His voice in Final Fantasy XIV makes him feel like a mighty Thunder God.

"I have been called the God of Thunder. You will now know why!"

"I call out to the skies and tremble as the brilliance of a thousand bolts blinds mine enemies and tears their flesh asunder!"

fucking hell, you can feel his strength.