• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018

It's gotta be the first ending I ever got in Chrono Trigger. Flying in the Epoch and seeing the fates of all my friends... it's just the best, so sweet.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Halo 3 felt like the completion of an epic, a most deserving honor for a thrilling 3 game series. Nothing has come close to evoking those feelings and the journey there was magical.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy VI
This one is utterly fantastic, especially if you've found your party members and did their WoR quests. That ending is amazing.

Another one that stands out to me is EarthBound; you're able to actually explore the world and talk to people without enemies (stands to reason as the evil corrupting the minds of enemies is destroyed) while you walk home with your friend. It's an incredibly touching ending that, while simple, hammers it home that even after destroying an evil alien, you're still a kid.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
The ending to The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories is so powerful and fantastic.
Everything following the "100 Years Later" sequence to be exact. I got real emotional by the end and it was so refreshing to have a horror game have such an objectively happy ending for once.

Oct 27, 2017
The ending to FEZ. Disasterpeaces music along with those visuals? Fucking satisfying.
Absolutely, especially after you complete the game once have seen the first ending. Thematically it's perfect.

God of War (PS4)'s emotional payoff
Persona 4's ending sequence as you say your goodbyes to everyone up until they run along side the train as you leave (the feels were too real man)

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
After all troubles I went through in Max Payne 3, I say the ending really satisfied me.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

Fantastic bittersweet ending.

People have picked most of my choices. Agree with you on FFX. That ending was so well done and it gave me some feels, which games almost never do.

I also really liked the ending to FF9 and Kingdom Hearts when I first played them and I haven't seen them mentioned. FF9 especially. Man they crammed so much into those short PS1 videos. No 10 minute sequences. Shit had to get done fast.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
The Portal 2 ending sequence is legendary.

Then of course we have the best credits sequence of all time:

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The ending sequence of Halo Reach after you finish your last mission. You know it was coming, but it still hits you hard.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Probably the end scene of Grandia
You get an adorable scene of an older Sue narrating the epilogue, and a group of five kids that look like a mix of Justin and Feena plotting a mock adventure not much unlike the intro to the game.
Once you realize they're the protags children, you basically figure those two have spent the past few years after saving the world banging like rabbits.

Oct 29, 2017
I love the ending sequence for Xenogears. The song is kinda cheesy but I love it! Also, the ending sequence to Chrono Cross--sublime!

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Rain World has a truly incredible ending sequence that they clearly put a ton of resources into....really scary and beautiful, and you don't quite realize you're at the end of the game and 'safe' until you've been in it for a few minutes...it's an incredible payoff for how hostile and difficult the game is up to that point

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished NieR: Automata through Route E last week and I couldn't possibly say anything else. What a ridiculously special and incredible game all around. If you count endings C, D, and E all as one sequence, it's just too much.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Almost nothing makes me as happy as the credits sequence of Kingdom Hearts 1:

Getting the epilogues to all the little stories you've bumbled into along the way + Simple and Clean UNFGHHHHHHHHHHH.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Yup. I may be biased as it's my favorite game of all time, but I have yet to experience anything as satisfying (as far as ending sequences go) as Earthbound. Being able to explore the world that you saved is a brilliant way to end the game. I've beaten the game easily two dozen times, and it never gets hurts any less when you walk your friends home and break up the party one by one until your adventure finally ends with you returning home. The adventure is over. There's no point in pressing on and using your weapons or your PSI anymore. Whenever you're ready, come home and carry on with life. The music that plays in the background as you walk your friends home is calming and beautiful yet there's a touch of sadness to it.

I just love the ending so much. It's a brilliant end to a brilliant game.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

The final boss fight of Okami is one to remember. Along with the entire Reset sequence.

(Shame the vocal version of Reset is missing in a lot of the versions of Okami).

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Final Fantasy VI has the ultimate party based RPG ending, every single member gets some spotlight in the escape from Kefka's tower if you properly recruited them, with a few closing out character arcs like Locke and Celes's love story. The characters as actors in a play, acknowledging your name changes, that final "and you"... no game has ever done as loving a sendoff as FFVI. That there is two amazing ending sequences is what cements it as the GOAT.

For highest peak moment of pure elation, Ico's ending takes the cake by far.

Dragon Age : Origins ending segment if you live through the final battle is also way up there for me, getting to talk to the party members one last time, see what they have planned for the future, getting to decide on a major change within Ferelden, then even though it's just slides in the epilogue it covers so many of your choices and the consequences of them.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I've played way too many games, and I was genuinely floored by how much I liked Nier Automata's true ending. Was one of my favorite games of 2017, but I liked the ending so much that I don't think I'll ever touch the game again. A diamond-in-the-rough type of game that managed to deliver so hard on its ending that I'll forgive every other flaw in the game.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if satisfying is the correct term, but 999 comes together so well at the end.

4-003.png
8-005.png

Noogy

Soloist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Evil Within 2s ending is a damn rollercoaster

I really enjoyed that one, really the whole last couple hours.

The ending that had the greatest impact on me was Ys I & II, for way too many reasons to get into here. My favorite ending simply within the context of the game probably belongs to Shadow of the Colossus.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
The recently released AI: The Somnium Files has an incredible ending (for different reasons than 999 and Ever17 which are also amazing).

I went "you know this awful song's actually grown on me now that I think about it" to "what" to "oh my god, this is the best".

Best end credits sequence since Nier Automata.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Fallout New Vegas has slides that damn near touch on every little thing you did.

Witcher 3 had those three playable epilogues for you to go through that perfectly conveyed the emotional tones each ending was going for. It also had slides for the "big picture" plot lines.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Super Mario RPG, for having the happiest ending possible, with a "where are they now" sequence showing everyone's wishes coming true, followed by a light parade featuring everybody in the game, all scored by Yoko Shimomura.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted 4
MGS4
Viewtiful Joe
Bayonetta
Wonderful 101
God of War
Kingdom Hearts 2
Kingdom Hearts 3
Halo
Titanfall 2
Modern Warfare 2
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime
Soma

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Almost nothing makes me as happy as the credits sequence of Kingdom Hearts 1:

Getting the epilogues to all the little stories you've bumbled into along the way + Simple and Clean UNFGHHHHHHHHHHH.

It's one of the greatest endings of all time, but overall too sad and a cliffhanger to be truly satisfying for me. I feel joy when the other worlds get restored and I cry hard at Kairi drawing the paopu fruit being given to Sora but yeah, I never got the kind of sequels I wanted so I am eternally left unsatisfied with the series despite the first game being very near and dear to my heart.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
The bar was set 25 years ago by Final Fantasy VI. The last scene with Terra's sprite change just for the ending... pitch-perfect.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why someone posted a video spoiling it up thread but NieR Automata has this in the bag. I don't think any other game comes close.

Persona 3 and 4 are worth noting for what an emotional punch is packed in the moment the credits start though

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The "real" ending to NieR: Automata has an amazing ending sequence. It's much better than even the ending sequence building up to the real ending sequence. Actually felt like I was going to cry, really seemed like a transcendent moment and the way it was done was perfect. One of the best parts of the entire game.

This is it, right here. Was my third time crying at this game too.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Depending on how you played the games out, Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas all conclude with ending slides that reflect the most influential decisions you made on your journey. Settlements, individual characters, entire factions, and you. Ron Perlman reminds you with a gentle voice of all the good or ill you brought to the wasteland over the course of your time in it.

It's an extremely iconic element of the series. Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, an early Troika game with the same leads as the early Fallout games, would do the same thing to an even greater degree than its predecessors.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Super Metroid, from the final Mother Brain battle through to the escape run.

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
Shoutout to the already mentioned Nier: Automata and Mother 3.

I'll point out a moment from the ending to Yakuza 0 that got me really good:

tumblr_osltl60Y5H1r4ym0no2_r1_500.gifv

tumblr_osltl60Y5H1r4ym0no1_r1_500.gifv

Last edited:

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Mass Effect 1. Everything from Virmire on was absolute gold.
Mass+Effect+1+image.png

Talk with Sovereign and Vergil, pushing through a Geth blockade, climbing up the side of the Citadel with Sovereign visually above you, and Faunts closing the game out.

Absolutely impeccable.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I was blown away by Firewatch's ending. I think about it all the time.

Same with Pathologic, completely and utterly stuck the landing.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing can beat Ever17's ending. Coco's path is so good years later you still find visual novels trying to imitate its plot twists.
14.png

And an honorable mention to Drakengard 3. The final boss is a pain to unlock, but it's easily my favorite boss from last gen
draken3ffhc.jpg