• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of bigger games that did well but still got ignored during GOTY stuff this year: Guilty Gear Strive

in terms of most robbed I'd say Fuga Melodies of Steel.

Half life: Alyx should have won a lot more but was mostly overlooked as a pcvr exclusive.

I think HL:Alyx is great and the best VR game but the VR requirement is such a heavy up front commitment it's hard to fault people really.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Half-Life: Alyx, Lone Echo, Astro Bot, and Microsoft Flight Simulator were absolutely the most robbed of last generation.
  • Alyx got a lot of attention overall but not the awards it deserved and some categories like audio design where it was the undisputed winner.
  • Both Lone Echo and Astro Bot were among the most obscure games of 2017 and 2018, but they redefined game genres.
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator was a game unmatched in scale and really made a case for cloud compute.
Four games that pioneered aspects of the industry, probably moreso than any other games in the last generation. BOTW, God of War, Red Dead 2 were all amazing games in their own right, but did not push the industry forward like these titles.

Last edited:

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
Half-Life: Alyx. A new Half-Life was overlooked because it's a PCVR game. Best VR game undersells how good it is. More like best game.

Outer Wilds. Thankfully word has spread telling how incredible this game is. If you're reading this and haven't played it, it's on Game Pass again.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Doom eternal deserved more praise instead of "wow this game is harder than 2016 therefore it is worse".

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily say it was "robbed", but Resident Evil 6 is a lot more fun that its reputation gives it credit for. Yeah it wasn't a great survival horror title, and it had some bad decisions, but all in all it's quite a fun action shooter with some really fun scenes.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Guardian. I know it won Easy Allies GotY that year but they have gone on record saying it was a mistake.

That game deserved more recognition. It is one of a kind.

Gila Moo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Astral Chain not getting any nominations for best score/music still mystifies me to this day.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne wasn't robbed lol won a lot of GOTYs, The Witcher 3 deserved all the praise, the upset is Fallout 4 winning more GOTYs
What Remains of Edith Finch won just 1 goty, probably the biggest (BAFTA), but still deserves more
Return of the Obra Dinn should have won TGA's Indie GOTY, much better than Celeste
The Last of Us should have won VGA'S 2013 GOTY, they gave studio for Naughty Dog but GOTY for GTA V lol
Hollow Knight has ZERO GOTYs

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
To approach this from a different angle, Skullgirls released in 2012 but didn't get on the Evo mainstage until 2021.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Valdis Story is the sort of game that a lot of people talk about, but that never happened. I think someone recommended it to me and I grabbed it despite not generally liking the genre, but it's good.

seemed popular/decent selling at the time but the influx of mid-2010 Metroidvania type indie games dampened its memory

(to my point, i kind of forgot it existed myself. i'll re-install it when i get a chance)

Toybasher

Nov 21, 2017
Silent Hills. Hideo Kojima, Del Toro, Norman Reedus, and Junji Ito were going to create a masterpiece, but it got smothered in the crib by Konami.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
2020: Will of the Wisps.
2020 pt.2:Fightin Herds not being mentioned, while One Punch Man and Jump Force do.
2020 pt.3: Ace Combat 7 not mentioned for Soundtrack.
2021: Chicory A Colorful Tale. one of the best received games, 12 minutes gets nominated instead lol.

Last edited:

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Witcher 3 was like a cultural storm, sold twice as much as Bloodborne, and just had far more awards and nods for it because it was, shocker, a good game.

Bloodborne wasn't robbed.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher 3 was like a cultural storm, sold twice as much as Bloodborne, and just had far more awards and nods for it because it was, shocker, a good game.

Bloodborne wasn't robbed.
I don't think Returnal's been robbed either. It's a really cool game but it's super punishing and very much not for everyone, but it has won some awards here and there. There's been a lot of great games this year that are very deserving.

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what the premise of this thread is. Are we talking overlooked or didn't recieve any/as many GotY awards as X other game?

Anyway, my offering for this confusing thread is Death Stranding. AAA quality from start to finish with some of the most satisfying moment to moment gameplay and a genuinely unique take on an apocalytpic future.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
DOS2

One of the best games ever came out during the same year as BotW, a hugely overrated game that severely disappoints in the context of it's own series, and Odyssey, which does the same to a lesser extent.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Wolfenstein The New Order, you know, the best game of 2014.
Prey is another good choice. Possibly gotg and it got nothing.
Wasteland 3 should've gotten a lot more recognition than it did.

Max Payne 3 came out in a tough year, can't complain too much about Journey and Dishonored sweeping thu.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 was better than any other game that year, there was no robbery lol... and I say that as a souls fan.

Only game I can think of is Yakuza 0.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles hasn't been nominated or even achieved an HM for "Best Narrative" in any outlet. Instead, it has been passed up in favor of It Takes Two or 12 Minutes, which makes absolutely no sense.

This is despite being one of the highest rated games of the year. =/
I'm sorry to say but at this point I just enjoy your bitter posts about this.

Has Splatoon 1 or 2 won anything?

May 24, 2021
I'm using this as a reference to kinda quickly flip through: https://www.gameawards.net/

Quite a few things in 2014 got completely robbed: Shovel Knight, Bayonetta 2, Dark Souls 2, Child of Light, Wolfenstein New Order.

2016: Dark Souls 3 (surprised me to see), XCom 2, Dishonored 2, and Titanfall 2 got heavily robbed

A TON of shit in 2017. Hollow Knight and Nioh are the biggest ones though.

Monster Hunter World got surprisingly robbed in 2018, if that tracker is right. Only 6?! That's nuts. Same with DQ11 with a big fat goose egg of a 0. And on the indie side, Into the Breach.

For 2019, it's DMC5. Hands down.

Doom Eternal absolutely got robbed in 2020. I'd argue Demon's Souls remake too, but that's more about being a "remake" than anything I assume. And then there's Nioh 2.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
FFXIV. Soken.
They wont truly recognize and praise this man until hes gone and i absolutely think he gets robbed annually.

219349_903312.jpg

Waiting4East

Aug 27, 2021
I'm not saying it needed to win, but I was very upset neo the world ends with you wasn't nominated for anything at the game awards last year( mainly music would've at least been worth a nomination)
I read game news almost every day, but I still missed it (until I saw your comment). Maybe there's too much game news this year. BTW, the music is really cool

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I really like BB but it didn't get robbed nor is Returnal. They are/were getting out voted for the top spot by a landslide which indicates the bulk of voters agree that other games are/were better.

I don't understand, just because a game you like isn't winning doesn't mean it was robbed. That's like me saying the Xbox One was robbed of being the market leader when more people overwhelmingly voted with their wallets for the PS4.

Last edited:

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I will forever be salty that Tropical Freeze got basically no nods at the end of 2014. It was a famously weak year, tons of people kind of just defaulted to Dragon Age: Inquisition despite seemingly not having any strong passion for it, and Tropical Freeze is in the discussion for the best platformer ever made. It kind of blows my mind that Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World are still often discussed as some of the best games ever made but, at least according to what I've seen (https://www.gameawards.net/2020/09/2014.html), Donkey Kong didn't get a single GOTY nod from anyone the year it released.

I think part of that is the self-serious view a lot of games journalists seemed to have in the year after The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, GTA 5, and Gone Home (and just two years after The Walking Dead won a ton of GOTYs), like a simple platformer was below them if it didn't have complex characters. Part of it may be because a lot of people had already moved on from the Wii U at that point. But Retro deserves more credit for how good their Donkey Kong Country games are.

There's probably like 5+ other 2014 games I'd put over Dragon Age: Inquisition too. That games just does nothing for me.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Every Forza Horizon pre 5 and 5 at the TGAs.

Prey 2017

Sunset Overdrive

Most Fire Emblems including 3 Houses

Modnation Racers

New Vegas (only 4 GOTYs in 2010... really?)

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Prey got super overlooked, even though i think it's really appreciated now. But yeah, got released in a stacked year with Breath of the wild and Horizon ZD. Also I can't remember if the demo or initial relrase had a couple of problems that put people off.

But it's a bloody brilliant game that was robbed of the sales figures and love it deserved. I've been robbed of a sequel as a result! (probably}

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn should have gotten more recognition, it just happened to came out the same year as BOTW, Persona 5, Resisent Evil 7 and Mario Odyssey. If it came out any other year, it would have been GOTY for sure.

Hmmm I think it got plenty of recognition. Games like Hollow Knight, Yakuza 0 and Prey were also 2017 and took some time to be truly appreciated (and I rate all of them above Horizon in any case).

Mario Kart 8 was snubbed in 2014 for being on the wrong platform.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
If sales were the criteria, why even have awards?
The point is that Witcher 3 was a critical and commercial mainstream success that connected with a lot of people and was more than deserving of the general media GOTY in 2015.

The whole premise of this thread is games that got robbed in GOTY outlet wins. Some games are masterful but are simply not for everyone and media votes often times reflect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.