• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most groundbreaking game of the 90's for YOU?

• Street Fighter 2

Votes: 36 4.6%
  • Doom (or Wolfenstein if you played that first)

Votes: 73 9.4%
  • Mario 64

Votes: 260 33.3%
  • Final Fantasy VII

Votes: 104 13.3%
  • Half-Life

Votes: 61 7.8%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Votes: 125 16.0%
  • Other (Mortal Kombat, Pokémon, StarCraft, Quake, MGS, Goldeneye, VF/Tekken etc)

Votes: 121 15.5%

• Total voters

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
This game was the fucking coolest. If anything, Metal Gear Solid was the coolest in the 90's.

Snake's sigh at the end, yeah undeniably the coolest

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
While OoT is the reason I love adventure titles, but Mario 64 is the reason I developed a passion for games and one of the first console games I ever played. I still remember playing Mario 64 for the first time at a Shriners hospital waiting room in Tampa.
Last time I heard they still had it lying around somewhere. I really wish I could nab it before it goes in the trash. If it's still even there...

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
It always fascinates me when I see Metal Gear Solid talked about like this. Not that it isn't deserving, but because it's one franchise that's always been the domain of "internet people" only to me, whereas games like Doom, Street Fighter, or Mario were wider cultural events. Like I specifically associate MGS with ERA/GAF only in my mind.

Literally none of my friends played or talked about it at the time, and I don't even remember that much buzz about it in whatever press that I assimilated at the time either.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Half Life was a revelatory experience. I had played Quake and Doom before it, but this was the first time I remember feeling like I was playing on singular experience. Going from one place to another. The AI seemed to know exactly when I was trying to flank or reload, fights were dynamic and enemies scary. Groundbreaking in so many ways.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
The decision to keep the cutscenes real-time is so vital and what made it stand out back in 98. Because back then, everyone just relied on FMV cutscenes.

And we're not even talking about gameplay stuff too. Fuck dude, METAL GEAR.

I know it's early, but the possibility of not one single Metal Gear coming out this generation truly puts a stamp to it's end.

Don't forget the clever use of live action footage! A small thing but crucial to the element of 'realism' that made the game so engaging.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
It always fascinates me when I see Metal Gear Solid talked about like this. Not that it isn't deserving, but because it's one franchise that's always been the domain of "internet people" only to me, whereas games like Doom, Street Fighter, or Mario were wider cultural events. Like I specifically associate MGS with ERA/GAF only in my mind.

Literally none of my friends played or talked about it at the time, and I don't even remember that much buzz about it in whatever press that I assimilated at the time.

it was huge. the anticipation for mgs2 was insane because of it. it was literally the biggest event in gaming at the time. (mgs2)

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Mario 64 was absolutely mind-boggling in 1996.

I still vividly remember seeing footage of it for the first time via some silly Nintendo Power promo vhs tape. At one point, there was a shot of Mario running around in a circle in Peach's castle to demonstrate the full analog control, and then a cut to a close-up of the host rotating the analog stick 360 degrees. It was just overwhelming to me - I'd never seen anything remotely like it.

Not a platformer but 3D control in 6 axises was alive and well on PC much earlier with games like X-Wing in 1993 and joysticks.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy VII, and it's not even close.

It got me into jRPGs, which then got me into wanting to make one, which got me into RPG Maker, which then got me into Computer Science.

It defined my career choice, and thus my life.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the first Virtua Fighter should be on this list. That games immense popularity has been cited as a major reason Sony decided to make sure the PlayStation was adept at 3D graphics. It of course was also a major influence on all 3D fighting games that followed it.

"If it wasn't for Virtua Fighter, the PlayStation probably would have had a completely different hardware concept," said former Sony Computer Entertainment producer Ryoji Akagawa.

www.wired.com

How Virtua Fighter Saved PlayStation's Bacon

Sega's Virtua Fighter inspired Sony, then one of its chief rivals, to make the PlayStation a 3-D gaming machine.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Half Life was a revelatory experience. I had played Quake and Doom before it, but this was the first time I remember feeling like I was playing on singular experience. Going from one place to another. The AI seemed to know exactly when I was trying to flank or reload, fights were dynamic and enemies scary. Groundbreaking in so many ways.

It was impressive but System Shock 2 and Deus Ex did a much better job of world building and story telling just a couple of years later.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's Mario 64 and it's not even close (even tho OoT is my 2nd favorite game ever)

The first time I laid hands on it, and realized that I could walk slower or faster depending on how much I pushed the stick forward, was a truly groundbraking moment for me. I'll never forget the first time I played it. 10 year old me could not grasp what was going on for a while.

It really was a "IS THIS REAL LIFE?" moment for me. Unbelievable. And the game played (hell, still plays) like a fucking dream.

Mario 64 is the king.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Street Fighter 2 for sure. That's all I wanted to play every morning, and I'd play it at a local gas station that had a side room with three arcade cabinets, at the arcade, and at the game room at our local college. Once it came to the SNES, I played it at home, and at the arcade, and then when MK, Tekken and Killer Instinct hit, I was playing all of those as well. Street Fighter 2 basically introduced me to a new genre. Sure, I had already played stuff like Karate Champ, and Yie Ar Kung-Fu, but those weren't really on the same level, and while Mario 64 is great and all, it wasn't really a new genre, just a new perspective on an older one.

Runner up would be Warcraft 2, which I came to a bit late, but it allowed me to get my bearings pretty easily with StarCraft when that hit.

Devil dice. Thread over.

Not my favorite, but I owned it, and one of my best friends just couldn't get enough of it.

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
Doom followed very closely by Virtua Fighter and Mario 64
Virtua Fighter is a good call, and Mario 64 was revolutionary.

One I'll add for me personally is WipEout.

In 1995-96 I interviewed for a job at a design agency and the guy took me into their break room where they had a PlayStation hooked up to a projector.

He pulled out WipEout and said, "have you seen this?" I said no, so he fired it up and I watched him play through a quick race.

Here in front of me was a melding of video games, electronic music and graphic design. Three of my passions all coming together.

I bought a PlayStation very shortly after that.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
silenthill2banner.jpg

It might not be the typical answer but it completely blew me away... I was 15 or 16 when I played it and literally became obsessed with it, but would only allow myself to play it at night with all the lights off and everyone else in the house in bed.
I had a notebook that I took notes in about the lore, environment, etc. and literally went to every corner of the map I could looking for more... It is definitely in my top 3 gaming experiences of all time.

Silent Hill 2 taught me that Video Game stories are something that can be just as good, if not better, than a movie.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
Not a platformer but 3D control in 6 axises was alive and well on PC much earlier with games like X-Wing in 1993 and joysticks.

No doubt, but the closest I'd come to personally experiencing an analogous experience on PC up to that point probably would've been Doom.

And a huge part of the impact was just the look and feel of the movement (in addition, of course, to the 3-dimensional and - for the time - highly expressive rendering of this iconic character I'd grown up with), as well as the complexity of the move set. 25 years later and I think the game still feels great to play, which is extraordinary (that camera, though...).

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
silenthill2banner.jpg

It might not be the typical answer but it completely blew me away... I was 15 or 16 when I played it and literally became obsessed with it, but would only allow myself to play it at night with all the lights off and everyone else in the house in bed.
I had a notebook that I took notes in about the lore, environment, etc. and literally went to every corner of the map I could looking for more... It is definitely in my top 3 gaming experiences of all time.

Silent Hill 2 taught me that Video Game stories are something that can be just as good, if not better, than a movie.
It's probably the best use of the gaming medium to tell a story you could only truly experience as a player. Absolutely brilliant. It didn't come out in the 90's though. Late 2001.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My pick is Ultima Underworld. Such an amazing leap forward in presenting a 3D world.
Not just presenting a 3D world but offering the player multiple ways to advance using real world logic. It was essentially the first true immersive sim even though that genre term obviously didn't exist yet. It's definitely a strong contender for most revolutionary game of the '90s.

Someone [their username is deleted now] made a great thread on it:
www.resetera.com

Ultima Underworld: Its historical significance and why you should still play it today

Crossposted from elsewhere (on a related note, come join us in the RPG Era Community OT or in the Discord Hidden content): Well Underworld: Ascendant was a complete bust so I've been drowning my sorrows in retrospective videos about Ultima Underworld. As I was doing so, it occurred to me that...

Original System Shock.
I didn't fully appreciate Ultima Underworld when it came out but System Shock ended blowing my mind and it's my personal choice for this thread. It was way ahead of its time in 1994 in terms of 3d "metroidvania" world design, character movement, physics, interactive story-telling, difficulty options for both action and puzzles, and it even had VR support for the VFX-1 headgear.

Last edited:

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Banjo Kazooie was for me the "OMG, real-time 3D!" moment that Mario 64 was for a lot of other people, because I played Banjo Kazooie first. And since N64 was the first console I owned, I didn't have much of a prior attachment to Mario to really feel the "2D - 3D transformation" experience across the same IP. But before I got a N64 I'd played a few PC games (well, Mac games, so my options were limited) so I'd already seen some 3D, so I think even then it wasn't quite as "Wow!" to me as it may have been for others.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
For me it was Baldur's Gate. Such an expansive, intricate game but at the same time intimate and tightly designed. It was unlike anything I've ever played before and made me look at videogames in a different way

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
From a more technical standpoint:

51QVY8Z415L._AC_SY445_.jpg

released in 1995. Of course kids would stick to their N64s back then.

EF2000 is a combat flight simulator of the Eurofighter Typhoon (EF2000) aircraft, featuring detailed terrain of the Baltic region. It supports virtual reality goggles. Graphics features included naturally irregular topography, clouds and darkening skies at high altitudes.
Game uses an evolved version of the Robocop 3(D) engine I mentioned earlier ;-) also used in Tornado and TFX

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Doom from that list (or Half Life), but probably Ultima VI (June 1990) for biggest impact overall. Console side Link to the Past or FFVI had the biggest impacts.

Doom defined the FPS, HL revolutionized it. Ultima VI created an open world that feels more alive than even Skyrim decades later. Link to the Past had just so many things that blew me away from the get go. FFVI was just a seemingly endless rollercoaster of things to do, find, see.

I've replayed all of these at some point in the past decade (save for maybe Ultima VI).

Quake II also fits in because it was the first game I played with a graphics card and with colored lighting. I would run up to walls and stare at them.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Interstate 76' was a huge one for me. It's not a sandbox game, but it was way more open than most games at the time. It's the first game I remember playing that really put effort into the voice acting and overall story. Combine that with the variety of cars and customization options, a bot mode, a great funk soundtrack and the ability to radio your partner to have him read you a poem, and the whole game was just so goddamn good. I wish someone would dust it off and do a good remake.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Game uses an evolved version of the Robocop 3(D) engine I mentioned earlier ;-) also used in Tornado and TFX

Unfortunately I had not played or watched games on the later Amiga models so I did not have the chance to see Robocop back then
But I was impressed by that flight sim. Still have that huge manual.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Doom and it lead to Quake/Cod/HL/CS considering that id tech software engine was modified heavily to make while keeping core components say like how the network operated. Wasd originated in Doom when thresh made it viable in lan tournaments. Mario adds a lot so does doom, gran turismo, and ff7 all which pushed similar numbers and had their own influences on gaming we still see in bits today.

Doom had bigger numbers before mario 64 even existed.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
DOOM is pretty much why we nowadays have FPS games, mods and online multiplayer. It's also what made Windows and the IBM-PC the default place for computer games and the reason why there's no other PCs today other than it. The impact DOOM had in gaming can't be understated.

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
Had to sell my psx (bought another eventually) at the time to be able to afford a n64, just to play Mario 64. Only game l ever did such a thing for and it was more than worth it.

Clipo

Jul 13, 2020
Mario 64, with true 3D platforming and responsive controls, and stable framerate.

Quake also, Doom was awesome but it was an evolution of Wolfenstein and other games, Quake (same year as Mario 64) felt truly revolutionary with their real 3D,

Jan 18, 2018
Zelda got me in love with music beyond the usual. I would turn that game on just to hear the music of different areas. The first game I would turn on to do something other than progress.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I mean, it has to be Mario 64 objectively speaking, just because it flawlessly executed the switch to the third dimension without breaking a sweat. It's honestly miraculous how well it plays even today.

But if we're talking subjectively, for me it has to be the following:
  1. Tomb Raider
  2. Ocarina of Time
  3. Metal Gear Solid

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Mario 64 ushered in the age of analog stick controls in 3d space. Though I would say out but Mario 64 it is.