• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most groundbreaking game of the 90's for YOU?

• Street Fighter 2

Votes: 36 4.6%
  • Doom (or Wolfenstein if you played that first)

Votes: 73 9.4%
  • Mario 64

Votes: 260 33.3%
  • Final Fantasy VII

Votes: 104 13.3%
  • Half-Life

Votes: 61 7.8%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Votes: 125 16.0%
  • Other (Mortal Kombat, Pokémon, StarCraft, Quake, MGS, Goldeneye, VF/Tekken etc)

Votes: 121 15.5%

• Total voters

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Yes, I might have missed some big game changers off the list; please let us know what game impacted you the most 'cause we each have our own unique tastes and just because it's not a poll option doesn't make your choice any less valid. I've literally just chosen the biggest games at the time I could think of off the top of my head and that's why I said 'for you personally' so you can tell us which game really blew your socks off and helped shape your gaming tastes maybe even until now.

I have to give it to SF2, the game was EVERYWHERE at the time. Kids were constantly shouting 'Hadouken' in school and I must've spent my life savings as a kid playing that game lol. The game was still HUGE even after the behemoth that was Mortal Kombat released. I don't think I ever got bored of the game, rather I just moved on to other big games at the time as they came out.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
I'll say FF7 because I got it the same day I got my PSX and it got me into RPGs.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
half life in to counter strike, the first big multiplayer game literally all of my friends also played

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Mario 64, I remember not even know how to control Mario in a 3D environment. It was something completely new to me.

FFVII is an amazing game, but just it's more like a step forward in the genre them something completely different.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
On your list? SM64.

But Super Mario World exploded my kid brain when I first saw it. Thought I was playing a literal cartoon.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
16-bit era had a lot of games that blew my mind at the time - Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country, Super Metroid, and Lunar: Eternal Blue to name some of the biggest ones.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
It's not my favorite game - or hell, my favorite in the series - but I really don't think Mario 64's influence on modern gaming can be overstated.

It demonstrated a damn near perfect transition from 2D to 3D, and for 3rd-grader me, it just filled my entire brain with ideas. It was the first game that truly replicated the feeling of "being on a playground" and being able to experiment and discover and see things I had never seen before.

All with an input method that was completely foreign just a year prior, and adding new ideas like camera controls in a way that was intuitive and ANYONE - even my parents at the time - could get used to.

I think Ocarina of Time is the better game, as it stands toe-to-toe with the absolute best of the best Action Adventures of today in 2021. Whereas Mario 64 has been bested quite a few times, IMO, for 3D platforming. But at the time? Mario 64 blew my mind more and set the stage for the next 10+ years.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
There's really no question that it's Mario 64.

There hasn't been a paradigm shift in gaming half as large as that one was.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
A lot that blew me away, but "groundbreaking" would be Mario 64 without a doubt. It was a huge jump into 3D gaming for me.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Not enough is still said about Metal Gear Solid. In terms of tone, cinematography and presentation, Kojima truly didn't fuck around.

yeah, greatest PlayStation game.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Solid for me. I had played similar JRPGs before FF7 and 3D platformers before Mario 64 but nothing as cinematic and immersive as MGS. Maybe they existed but not on previous gen hardware.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Mario 64 redefined how movement worked in gaming in ways we still see today. There's no better option than that.

Oct 27, 2017
I voted for Other and will specify Metal Gear Solid.

That was the game that changed my view of what games were and could be. I think it's still one of the best narrative examples I can think of in gaming, be it the codec conversations, certain cutscenes, how utterly memorable it is, how quotable it remains..

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Goldeneye/Perfect Dark easily. Mario 64 was the first 3D game for me, but i spent countless more hours on those two games.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ocarina of Time for me. After years of dungeons and sword-based combat in games, this was the first time I was really thinking about them in 3D.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
God, all of those are great shouts. And there are a hundred more. It felt like technological was progressing at such a crazy rate back then and there was always something on the horizon.

Super Mario 64 was a biggie though, so that's my choice. So much of it was just unbelievable back then. And it kinda goes hand in hand with the N64 making an appearance with it's crazy ass controller too.

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid.

Needs to be acknowledged up front that Kojima's shitty treatment/objectification of female characters wasn't cool then and still isn't cool now. For me, the mechanics and presentation of this game made a deep impression. It opened up a door inside my mind about what games *COULD* be and that promise of interactive storytelling is a big reason why I became a game developer.

Incredible, but flawed. Groundbreaking, but regressive. Looking back at MGS now is complicated, but I'm glad that there are others that understand it's tricky place in gaming history.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Running as Mario in a 3d environment blew my expectations on what video games could achieve at the time

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Probably Doom. But there are too many to mention, I keep writing a new game every second because there are so many classics

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Super Mario 64 just nailed such a huge shift so gracefully, it's hard to really think of any game that was more impactful in the 90s.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Doom and Super Mario 64 to this day remain the nexus points of where modern gaming would go in terms of design, game play and movement. Ocarina of Time to a very slight lesser extent as well. Personally, Super Mario 64 ended up being the most formative of any 90s game for me personally.

Oct 27, 2017
Doom for me, but Mario 64 is a close second.

I saw them both around the same time too, since I wasn't very up to date on PC games at the time. Doom impressed even several years after it released.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not enough is still said about Metal Gear Solid. In terms of tone, cinematography and presentation, Kojima truly didn't fuck around.

yeah, greatest PlayStation game.

Yup, came here to post this. Most memorable game of the 90s to me, probably of all time.

Even the splash screen.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most important game was Robocop 3 for the Amiga/ST by Digital Image Design

It laid the groundwork for 3D fighters,3D first person shooters, free roaming 3D worlds and so on

The 3D engine was also very impressive for 1991

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
Not the most revolutionary title but Dark Forces II was everything I wanted from a videogame and I'm still chasing that high. The lightsaber combat was mad fun and the vertical level design is really special. Fallen Order is great and all but still doesn't hold a candle.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
A bunch of those games did, but I think Diablo with its online multiplayer was the biggest thing for me. Blew my mind at the time.

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Daytona USA or Virtua Fighter 3. Seeing those two arcade machines in person as a kid totally blew my mind. I was astounded by how realistic video games could look. Seeing Daytona USA in 1994 was nuts. I had not seen anything as smooth, detailed and vibrant as it. PC and consoles paled in comparison at the time.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The one that personally blew my mind was 64.
But generally speaking, your list is full of revolutionay game.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
God, all of those are great shouts. And there are a hundred more. It felt like technological was progressing at such a crazy rate back then and there was always something on the horizon.

Super Mario 64 was a biggie though, so that's my choice. So much of it was just unbelievable back then. And it kinda goes hand in hand with the N64 making an appearance with it's crazy ass controller too.

That controller could be easily be mistaken for a weapon lol. I wanna see a game with a ninja throwing N64 controllers instead of shurikens.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Tough one. I voted "other", but I don't really know. Super Mario World blew my young mind. I remember the first time I saw it, telling my parents that we had to get an SNES because it's so "realistic". I think my exact words were "It might not be TOTALLY realistic, but there is no way games will ever look better than this". At the end of the day, did it "broaden gaming the most"? Probably not, but it really blew my mind at the time. So did Star Fox and Donkey Kong Country on the same platform. Wolf 3D was a special one for me too, because one of the first times I ever played it was in VR in around '92/'93...and that was like stepping 30 years into the future.

The other one was this:

1181242155152.jpg

The first and only time I ever got to play this thing was at Disneyland in the early 90's. It was the most frightening ride there by far. I think it was Afterburner that it was running at Disneyland, but I can't remember for sure.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its Mario 64 and its not close.

I dont mean to take anything away from other games, but 64 is just that important. People wouldn't understand what the game was actually like until they played it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This can't be a poll, there's waaaaay too many possible choices and the poll will skew things. Something in the poll though that's important that a lot of people miss is that this says, "What's the most revolutionary game for you personally that broadened your mind," or whatever. It's not "what game changed gaming the most," in which I'd agree, Mario 64 was the first best example of the 3D platformer and made the template for a generation of 3D platformers after it. Mario 64 is like GTAIII in that way in that after Mario 64 came out, suddenly the industry was awash of clones or other games trying to do the 3D thing, just like how after GTAIII every game was trying to be GTA with the 'open world' mechanics and mission based structure.

But to the actual question....

I'd like to say Half-Life for me personally, but it's hard to pin that squarely in the 90s. I got Half-Life going into the spring/summer of 1999 for my birthday, and so the decade was basically over by then. Half-Life turned me into a PC gamer squarely, it's what made me build new PCs, I got super into modding and development, into running competitive servers of Counter-Strike and TFC, it's the first game I *really* got into multiplayer online gaming. I had done it a bit on LAN with Doom or Quake, but Half-Life and the mod scene is what turned me into a competitive online gamer.

But for me most of that happened in 1999 and beyond, so it's tough for me to really anwer. Still, HL came out in the 1990s, even if it didn't affect me as much until 1999 and beyond, it's still a "90s game," so that's my answer.

But... excluding Half-Life... I want to think about it. Doom was big for me, it was my first first person shooter. Mortal Kombat as my first fighting game.

For me, though, it's one that isn't on the list -- Madden '96. I had been into sports games as far back as the NES with "Golf" (now probably known as "MArio Golf," but it was just "Golf" then), Baseball, Double Dribble, etc. On Genesis, I was into Jordan v. Bird, Celtics v. Lakers and the NBA Playoffs, the Joe MOntana series / Sega NFL series, and more. I was really into NBA Live '95 and '96, but Madden '96 was the first sports game that I really got into sports simulation... Like, the idea building a team, running plays, scheming, not just finding money plays and trying to glitch the CPU or my friends with money players/teams/plays. What's funny for me is I got Madden 96 for Christmas from my parents, after I had asked for NFL '96 Starring Deion Sanders, the Sega sports football game, and I thought MAdden was *so hard* and *so boring* when I first played it, it was frustrating for me, the money plays that all worked in NFL '95 didn't work in Madden (NFL 95/96 was a horrible game, but I didn't know this at the time). My parents asked the guy at the counter what the best football game was, and he said Madden (he was right), but I hated Madden at first ..... until it clicked with me, and then I just realized how much better it was.

If there's one series I've sunk more time into than any it's Madden and NCAA Football. Even still, 25 years later, while I am super frustrated with the direction of Madden and sports games today, Madden '96 was the game that got me serious about sim sports games. I ran sports gaming websites, got tickets to E3 because of my sports game coverage, flew to EA events back in the day. So, yeah, I'm going Madden '96 in the poll, a game that will get 0 votes from anybody else, but probably the most important game for me.

Last edited:

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Tomb Raider and Resident Evil also set the stage for all action adventure games to come so those are pretty big ones too.