• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't totally think it's fair to blanket say "multiplayer only achievements". Especially for something like, say, Battlefield V. Be weird if there weren't any.

Though, yeah, a lot of early achievements were just straight up dumb. And multiplayer achievements in largely single-player games like Tomb Raider is always pretty infuriating.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I think most people never bothered due to another trophy progress resetting when you log off, requiring you do it all in one sitting for like 9 hours boosting (just you, another 9 for your partner).

The absolute vast majority of the players never bothered. Heck, on Xbox Live the achievement is sitting on an unlock rate of 0.81% globally.

Then, if you take a look at GTA 5, you have this incredible stupid "Masterminds" (or even "Elitist") achievement, which will never ever get past 0.01%. Rockstar is definitely up there, when it comes to terrible achievements, both in SP and MP.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I remember Spider-Man 3 having an achievement for riding on a vehicle for a couple miles around the city.

Talk about pointless.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Ocean 4, all trophies...nope.

I think there is a chievo in Project Cars that has you drive a full race under 30 mph the entire time. Why? In a racing game?

Apr 25, 2018
The one to see an extra large and extra small version of each monster in Monster Hunter World, totally luck based and potentially very grindy

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I platinumed Saints Row 3 and was expecting to do so in Saints Row IV because they'd obviously have a similar good, fairly easy list that was all about maxing out your character and trying out every type of content in that game at least once. Instead, it required you to play for 40 hours and kill 1000 enemies with combo powers that I didn't really notice until the late part of the game, so beating it in about 25 hours meant I would just have to grind for another 15 hours and start doing this combo power stuff in a city that was mostly cleared out. It was such a 180 on the great list that SR3 had.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I just remembered freeflow trophies in arkham, you have to do all of batmans move in 1 combo but it doesnt have a way of tracking what you've done so i spent hours just guessing and hoping i did all of them, never got it.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Early 360 days were actually interesting. I can understand the frustration that comes with stuff like "#1 of the world" but I also liked that approach. Achievements were new and exciting and I was regularly checking other players' achievements. Seeing one of those "impossible" achievements showed that the player was legit. I can also understand the problems completionists have with that approach but devs are not not indebted to you unlocking every achievement and you don't get/unlock anything when you go 1000/1000 most of the time, anyway.

It showed people don't care about actual achievements and much rather complete them all easily and it's fine by me. Don't think those are bad achievements, though, just a different approach.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The one to see an extra large and extra small version of each monster in Monster Hunter World, totally luck based and potentially very grindy
Yep.

There's enough event quests to get most of them, but the fact that they still have monsters with no guaranteed or increased chance of being large/small crown makes the achievement a nightmare.

Also the fact that Silver Large Crows exist. "Sorry, this Black Diablos was big, but not big enough, try again." Fuck you, game.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
If you were a PS3 owner the Millionaire trophy in Mercenaries 2 is unobtainable for many people. Trophies were patched in a few months after the game released and if you had already made $1 million and synced to the server before the patch it is impossible to get it. You'd have to make a new PSN account to get it.

Dec 20, 2017
Monster Hunter World 'Giant Crown Master' and 'Miniature Crown Master', Obtain a gold crown for almost every monster in your hunting log, no skill involved just pray to rngesus

Oct 25, 2017
All online trophies for single player games. Thankfully those seem to be dying off lately.

Missable trophies in long games.

Iron Man trophies like Mein Leben mode in Wolfenstein II. Normal humans will never be able to achieve these without literal years of practicing and giving up all other games.

Final Fantasy IX's 1000 jump rope trophy, i never got close to doing this on a CRT TV and a wireless controller, i dont want to think about how hard it would be on modern TVs and wireless controllers.

Final fantasy 9 has a trophy for getting a score of 1000 at jump rope.

Not even the worst trophy in that game. There's one for killing 10,000 enemies, which takes about 15 additional hours after getting all the other trophies of just killing enemies on turbo speed.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Early 360 days were actually interesting. I can understand the frustration that comes with stuff like "#1 of the world" but I also liked that approach. Achievements were new and exciting and I was regularly checking other players' achievements. Seeing one of those "impossible" achievements showed that the player was legit. I can also understand the problems completionists have with that approach but devs are not not indebted to you unlocking every achievement and you don't get/unlock anything when you go 1000/1000 most of the time, anyway.

It showed people don't care about actual achievements and much rather complete them all easily and it's fine by me. Don't think those are bad achievements, though, just a different approach.
Nothing wrong with hard achievements, but they should be, like, possible.

Oct 27, 2017
Emperor! in The Elder Scrolls Online.

You have to become Emperor of Tamriel. There is only one Emperor at the time, and becoming one involves a long MP grind.

Fuck that Trophy... and all MP along with it.

I just remembered freeflow trophies in arkham, you have to do all of batmans move in 1 combo but it doesnt have a way of tracking what you've done so i spent hours just guessing and hoping i did all of them, never got it.

You could have just use a checklist and planned the order in which you would perform the moves in the combo. It's nowhere near as hard as you're making out to be.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
The Last Guardian, the Thread.
Nah, nothing bad about it.. it's only frustrating because the game doesn't track your progress for you, especially for the hints and speedrun trophies

Wolfenstein II.

It has a trophy for beating a mode on the hardest difficulty with no game saves. The game is like 20 hours long and has 4 hours of unskippable cutscenes. If you die which can happen in seconds, you have to start from the beginning again.

I don't mind the challenge of it being hard, but the rest of it is waste of players time. Garbage.

That's not true at all, the game is just 12 hours long with all the cut scenes, without the skippable cut scenes and if you know where to go it's just 3-4 hours long

It was a decent challenge, actually. You're just not up to the task

Anyway, nothing I've encountered so far that I couldn't get.. so nothing come to my mind at the moment, but my choice would normally go to any insanely grindy trophy

Oct 28, 2017
Wolfenstein II.

It has a trophy for beating a mode on the hardest difficulty with no game saves. The game is like 20 hours long and has 4 hours of unskippable cutscenes. If you die which can happen in seconds, you have to start from the beginning again.

I don't mind the challenge of it being hard, but the rest of it is waste of players time. Garbage.

You can do it in less than 4 hours.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
STAR OCEAN 4. Those battle trophies achievements are bullshit. No one got time and patience (and luck too) for them.

Quote from the achievement guide on xboxachievements.com

giphy.gif

If you buy the PS4 remaster in US, UK and Japan and do the PS3 version too, you have to do the battle trophies 4 TIMES!!!

There's someone out there who has done it. Seriously.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Every "Seriously" in the Gears of War games. As someone who's not particularly good at the multiplayer, it sucks that I can't get all of the other achievements and that makes ever getting the Seriously achievement impossible.

Come to think of it, pretty much any achievement or trophy centered around proficiency at the online multiplayer modes are always misses for me.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
One of the Uplay challenges in AssCreed 3 requires you to defog the "whole" frontier. I left it until after I'd completed the game and still had to spend somewhere around an hour aimlessly running around the place.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Was curious if others thought about this as often as I do, especially if tied to games we fondly remember with esoteric, extremely obtuse, or now impossible milestones that you tried or gave up on attempting to earn.

My vote goes towards the infamous My Kung Fu Is Stronger achievement from Mortal Kombat 9. I remember reading the achievement list in advance for the game coming out, and thinking it wasn't going to be a particularly difficult challenge, with its vague condition of "Gain Mastery with all fighters.", but it wasn't until I actually played the game that I realized what 'Mastery' was.

To gain Mastery for a character, you would need to win as them 100 times, use 100 finishing moves, land 150 X-Rays, spill 10,000 pints of blood, and then log 24 REAL TIME hours across all matches as that character, repeat for all 28 members of the cast. The first 4 conditions had always felt feasible enough, especially for people who found themselves playing the game for a long-term span of time with friends or strangers, but the fact was that you would hit all 4 of those milestones long before getting anywhere close to 24 hours logged in match time with a character, exponentially so when you factor that the game was expecting you to play for over 600 hours for the sake of this one particular milestone that is rewarded with nothing within the actual game itself. I knew nobody ever who had ever obtained this without deliberately farming local matches set to infinite time overnight, which was a dangerous concept as a 360 owner in 2011.

Anybody else have interesting examples?

I wouldn't be surprised if these impossible achievements are meant to keep the player playing long enough to track other data metrics.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, nothing bad about it.. it's only frustrating because the game doesn't track your progress for you, especially for the hints and speedrun trophies

That's not true at all, the game is just 12 hours long with all the cut scenes, without the skippable cut scenes and if you know where to go it's just 3-4 hours long

It was a decent challenge, actually. You're just not up to the task

Anyway, nothing I've encountered so far that I couldn't get.. so nothing come to my mind at the moment, but my choice would normally go to any insanely grindy trophy
I played through it once it took me 20 hours, though I was exploring for Files. According to the trophy forums the cutscenes are long and unskippable.

No need to be a condesending ass, the trophy is still terrible.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i dont know if i would call it poorly thought out but spelunky low scorer is pretty sadistic

accidentally touch a mote of gold for any reason and your whole run is fucked

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
"Beat the game without using a continue" for a few KH games on PS4. Wtf is the point? You just load an old save file instead and have to do extra walking.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
I played through it once it took me 20 hours, though I was exploring for Files. According to the trophy forums the cutscenes are long and unskippable.

No need to be a condesending ass, the trophy is still terrible.
Not true, I've played the game myself, there's just few unskippable cut scenes and each of them is less than 10 minutes

I've finished the game for the first time on PC on normal difficulty, I wasn't rushing and watched all the cut scenes.. It only took 12hrs, even though it kept counting when I wasn't actually playing (in menu/pausing)

Anyway, not trying to be an ass lol.. it surely was frustrating and not an easy task at all, but not really terrible tho

Oct 25, 2017
Not true, I've played the game myself, there's just few unskippable cut scenes and each of them is less than 10 minutes

I've finished the game for the first time on PC on normal difficulty, I wasn't rushing and watched all the cut scenes.. It only took 12hrs, even though it kept counting when I wasn't actually playing (in menu/pausing)

Anyway, not trying to be an ass lol.. it surely was frustrating and not an easy task at all, but not really terrible tho

Having to rewatch 10s of minutes of cutscenes every attempt is ridiculous. Especially when you can be killed in less than half a second and have to go through a long wheel chair gimmick intro level every time. There are several encounters that take even skilled players 10+ tries to clear. Not an easy task is an understatement. It's straight up unobtainable for most people. It's harder than doing a Mr. Perfect run in Mega Man 9 in one go.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Every "Seriously" in the Gears of War games. As someone who's not particularly good at the multiplayer, it sucks that I can't get all of the other achievements and that makes ever getting the Seriously achievement impossible.

Come to think of it, pretty much any achievement or trophy centered around proficiency at the online multiplayer modes are always misses for me.
I read a guide for one of the "Seriously" trophies for getting some kills. "Load this chapter and repeat the turret section. It's the fasted method. It'll only take you about 20 hours to get those kills."

... Repeating the same 2 minute turret section for 20 hours is my definition of hell.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good news: The PS3 version of MK9 was patched to use different servers so the MP (and platinum) is still available. Vita version never got patched so that one's gone forever though.
I own both versions, but I never knew the PS3 was patched. That's good to know, now just have to find the time to get the other requirements!

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
I read a guide for one of the "Seriously" trophies for getting some kills. "Load this chapter and repeat the turret section. It's the fasted method. It'll only take you about 20 hours to get those kills."

... Repeating the same 2 minute turret section for 20 hours is my definition of hell.
So many right button presses needed to cool the turret during that time.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Injustice 2 has a dumb achievement where you need to drop a legendary ability for cat woman in a loot box.

I thought that lootboxes where an OK idea for a fighting game, but when I realized that the devs tied both an ability and an achievement into a lootbox, which was also a legendary one I realized how fucking stupid is the system in Injustice 2

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force's trophy for killing an absurd amount of enemies takes a stupid amount of grinding to complete. By the time you'd have finished it you'd have long reached a level where you'd be too high for even the DLC dungeons to be a threat on the highest difficulty... Put 70+ hours into that game on PS4 and I'm only about halfway there.
The trophy guide makes it sound like far less of a grind.

"Defeated 10,000 enemies. "There's no way I can stop!"
This will problably be your last trophy. After completing everything else i only hade between 2000-3000. Luckily theres a fast and easy way to grind the kills needed. First you need the free DLC. Then play the first floor of the backdoor tower. Theres 6 enemies here. Make sure to have maelstrom for tiara and use that skill which will insta kill alla enemies. 6 kills every fight. You can do around 6-7 fights every minute so that around 2000 kills every hour. "

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fly the Co-op in GTA IV. They all have a time limit and you have to complete the mission and get back to your starting point. Also you start on foot and you are no where near your objective. You only have 3 lives too. It requires 3 to 4 players.

Only 0.48% completed this trophy. 4,688 people got it over 11 years.
I have this. The worst part was just re-grouping after each attempt. It had to be "ranked" mode so you couldn't just invite your friends to a lobby.

My vote goes to basically every Overwatch achievement. Many of them actively promote playing in a way that will be highly damaging to your own team and promote bad gameplay habits. Like hanging onto ults until the absolute perfect moment instead of just using it normally.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My vote goes towards the infamous My Kung Fu Is Stronger achievement from Mortal Kombat 9. I remember reading the achievement list in advance for the game coming out, and thinking it wasn't going to be a particularly difficult challenge, with its vague condition of "Gain Mastery with all fighters.", but it wasn't until I actually played the game that I realized what 'Mastery' was.

I actually have this one.

... It was a HUGE grind and I never want to do it again. But I did it. Somehow. Lots of nights spent farming with infinite timer running on a very questionably-stable Xbox 360.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Having to rewatch 10s of minutes of cutscenes every attempt is ridiculous. Especially when you can be killed in less than half a second and have to go through a long wheel chair gimmick intro level every time. There are several encounters that take even skilled players 10+ tries to clear. Not an easy task is an understatement. It's straight up unobtainable for most people. It's harder than doing a Mr. Perfect run in Mega Man 9 in one go.
That's exactly the most frustrating part.. I'm okay with the wheel chair intro tho, it's part of the gameplay and not really long. Either way, it surely was 10/10 when it comes to difficulty, I'm even putting it on the level of SMB.. even though that one is overall harder, but you only have to go through each world without dying, you can go with however order you like, like beating the hardest levels first and you can also exit to the map if you saw yourself dying lol

I'm only saying it's not really badly designed challenge

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
A lot of early Xbox 360 games were really bad at this. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06, for instance, had one for placing #1 on the worldwide leaderboards. All that managed to accomplish was kickstart the 360 hacking scene amongst hardcore completionists by seeing who could be the first to post a literally-unbeatable "score".

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know, these aren't a thing anymore, but Xbox achievements that awarded zero points.

Just...why?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As far as I know, these aren't a thing anymore, but Xbox achievements that awarded zero points.

Just...why?
Dead or Alive 4's troll achievements that gave 0 points and unlocked upon LOSING a certain amount of matches in a row. "We want the whole world to know you suck at this game" was pretty much the message.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Stanley Parable "Go outside" in which you had to not play Stanley Parable for 5 years.

As someone who thinks achievements/trophies are worthless time wasters, this is awesome! This and some DOA game's achievement for losing X amount of matches in a row (that subsequently gave zero whatever points) are the only two I can think of that actually used these systems well.

I'll cite the Final Fantasy XIII trophy for getting all items as the most poorly thought out, though. It forced you to grind for materials to upgrade your standard items into other items and they were necessary to pop it. No in-game checklist or anything and you had to check with some dumb robot to get the achievement to activate, so it was an excercise in frustration every time you thought you were done and it still didn't activate. Getting that platinum trophy showed me how much of a waste of time they were. I turned them off and never paid attention to them again.