• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The platinum for Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 is impossible to obtain naturally, because of 2 trophies for the mission mode that had co-op in the PS3 version. The Vita version dropped co-op and included an AI partner that makes completing the mission mode actually impossible. PSN Profiles only has 2 people recorded for obtaining it, and they got it through Henkaku hacks.
Not to mention the fact the game runs like garbage in those co-op missions (literally in slow motion at points) so playing the game is painful, let alone trying to clear those impossible missions.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Cant name one off the top of my head. But any trophy that forces you to play poorly/lose.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Seems reasonable to me. You've never done an endurance race in a racing game just for the sake of the feeling of zen the gameplay puts you in? On higher speeds, laps are maybe a minute or a minute and a half so that's less than two hours anyway. Some racing games (F1 namely) even have specific modes for endurance races that long I believe.

It's pointless though. You wouldn't do that in the game other than the trophy. There's no other reason or requirement to do so.

I just left my controller sitting in a position where my pod would drive forward without me actually playing and came back in a few hours.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XIIIs treasure hunter trophy, this one is pretty notorious among JRPG fans. It requires you to obtain all weapons/accessories in the game but the game doesn't keep track of what you have so you have to write them down as you get them and keep a list of what you need, you'll also need a guide to tell you how to get everything because some items transform into completely new items and the game doesn't tell you what they turn into, it also requires a good 40+ hours of grinding.

Niers trophy that assumes the player will log in every day for months to cultivate his flowers, players just manipulated the PS3 clock instead. Nier also has a trophy for upgrading all weapons which requires about 40 hours of grinding in a game thats 15 hours long

Destiny's Flawless Raider trophy, it requires you to complete a raid without anyone in your party dying, this became dramatically easier after the expansions came out however it still requires 5 other high level players who want to do the trophy, which ended up taking me a year or so to do because its just so hard to find people who care about trophies and have the required gear and knowledge of the raids.

Final Fantasy IX's 1000 jump rope trophy, i never got close to doing this on a CRT TV and a wireless controller, i dont want to think about how hard it would be on modern TVs and wireless controllers.

Just as a rule of thumb, missable trophies in long RPG campaigns, as if i'm going to play through a 40+ hour campaign multiple times to get a trophy. You should be able to chapter select or clean up any trophy in post game.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trophies that require you to do specific, not natural while playing things while working together with other players who also need do things not done in natural gameplay.

They are awful because they basically just force you to find a boosting group and then waste time not playing the game how you want to.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Far Cry 2 was ridiculous. The multiplayer trophies require you to get to max rank and collect weapon handbooks and this takes ~80 hours of focused boosting or 1000+ hours of legit gameplay. I remember XP sometimes not being rewarded after the match so that's quite insane.

Burnout Paradise - Send a Mugshot or Smugshot
What the hell were they thinking when they decided to make a Trophy based on a peripheral?
At that time I had to ask a friend who had the PS Cam to get that Trophy to me so I could get the Plat!
In my desperation I actually gave my account to a stranger whom I found on a trophy site. Luckily he wasn't some sort of scammer but I wonder how many people lost their accounts due to that trophy.

In the early days, a few games (GRAW comes to mind) has achievements for being number 1 on the global leaderboard. I think Elder Scrolls Online has something similar.
Those GRAW achievements were nightmare fuel... ESO just requires you to become emperor (No. 1 on one of 4-5 pvp servers) but becoming Emp isn't really hard. It's a combination of luck, skill, time and support. There are constantly emperors being crowned every day, I'm guessing 10 per day.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
The Last Guardian speed run trophies go so against the core of the game. Who the hell would want to rush through a game like that???

Metallia

May 31, 2018
You wouldn't do that in the game other than the trophy. There's no other reason or requirement to do so.
My entire post was saying that I would do that even without the trophy and that enough people do it that some games even have specific modes for it. The same way people do 99 stock matches in Smash Bros. It's really not that out there, a lot of people like endurance challenges.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek Online has two really awful ones I just thought of.

So for one of them, you got to go to New Romulus, travel to a mission start point on the planet, do a mission collecting a specific item (3 total) but then quit the mission before finish. Now replay the mission because you need 4 of those items and if you finish the mission you're locked out of replaying it for 30 minutes. It's not super long to do all this, about 15 minutes but it is super boring.

So now you got 4 of the item you travel to New Romulus home base and find a NPC who gives you a 20 hour timer mission (you just wait for it to finish, can be offline it is real time). The reward is a piece of lore. You need 31 pieces of lore in total, but the piece you receive is RNG and you can get duplicates. Also, 22 pieces are considerably rarer than the others, with some individual pieces super rare. Now, you can sell your duplicates and buy other players, but they can be very expensive and even then the rare pieces rarely found for sale.

There is a similar trophy but without the item farming, you just talk to an NPC for a different school of lore and need wait 20 hours to do it again. There are 165 to collect and again relies on RNG.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fly the Co-op in GTA IV. They all have a time limit and you have to complete the mission and get back to your starting point. Also you start on foot and you are no where near your objective. You only have 3 lives too. It requires 3 to 4 players.

Only 0.48% completed this trophy. 4,688 people got it over 11 years.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I have probably forgotten most of the stuff I disliked during the early days of achievements. Things I personally encountered more recently that I was really bothered by is the "speedrun" in Gorogoa and the 5 "different" (not different) endings in a little game called This Strange Realm of Mine.

The Gorogoa one just feels so unnecessary. Why make a gorgeous game with nice puzzles and then make a cheevo that requires people to completely skip everything that is good about the game?

This Strange Realm of Mine is a pretty fun game. For two playthroughs. One pacifist run and one where you kill everything. But nooo, to get all the achievements you have to play it five times and gather this or that many morality points. There is one ending for good, one for evil, one for a little more evil than good, one for a little more good than evil and then lastly one for having the same amount of good and evil points. The last three are completely pointless. There is a tiny change in the ending but nothing else is new at all during the playthroughs. It hurts the game a lot to make it this "gamey" and by require you to play it over and over without changing it up.

Stanley Parable "Go outside" in which you had to not play Stanley Parable for 5 years.
I got the urge to play it again recently and noticed that next month it's been 5 years since I last booted it up. I think the cheevo is perfect ;)

LatteToGo

Oct 28, 2017
Lol yeah I remembered that trophy, but it's doable on your own though. What I hate about is on certain trophy you have to rely on other player like Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 "All Mission Successfully Completed" trophy, now thats bullshit.

Capndrake

Oct 28, 2017
Anything that involves hours and hours of grinding long after you've finished every other achievement.

Impetuous Imp

Oct 27, 2017
The original Borderlands has an achievement for either playing with a dev or playing with someone else who has that achievement. As someone who came to the game after BL2 had already been released and who doesn't typically solicit randoms to co-op an older game purely for the sake of an achievement, it remains locked for me.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
STAR OCEAN 4. Those battle trophies achievements are bullshit. No one got time and patience (and luck too) for them.

Quote from the achievement guide on xboxachievements.com
There are 900 total battle trophies, 100 for each playable character. For all the "per battle" trophies, such as consecutive hits or exact damage, you will personally have to do the action. For some of the larger accumulated ones, such as fighting a certain number of battles, those can be worked on by the AI.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On 360? You absolute madman. How long did it take you?
I did it on PC then just logged in on 360, worked for everything except Ballista I think? Which I had to actually play on Xbox. It's difficult to say how long it took because I was basically addicted for ages so the trophies were just a small part of what I did. But I remember you could get a job up to 80 from 30 using worm farming in about 6-8 hours.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
In the early days, a few games (GRAW comes to mind) has achievements for being number 1 on the global leaderboard. I think Elder Scrolls Online has something similar.
GRAW was the first thing that came to mind. Early 360 achievements were wild. Perfect Dark Zero is impossibly difficult to complete.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I'd have to say any multiplayer achievement. And that's simply because at some point the set will be unobtainable. NBA Street Homecourt comes to mind. Win 10 games online, seems not super hard except the servers aren't up anymore. Forever stuck at 890G.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Fortnite Save the World has some ridiculous ones. You have to play a 1000 games with strangers, fully explore the map in missions for 1500 times (missions can easily take 20+ minutes), place 500 000 structure pieces (you can place as little as 20-30 during a single mission)

Or something to those levels.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this achievement is necessarily bad, but the My Kung-fu is Stronger achievement from MK9 required players to have something like 24h of gameplay time with each character in the game, plus a number of ranked online victories (something like 100?) with each character as well. Very grueling (and also impossible to get ever since GameSpy went kaput).

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories. Who in their right mind thought it would be at all fun to get the platinum? Especially the PS3 version. The longest, most boring grind.

Auron.90

Dec 3, 2017
The level 99 chatacter in "Rogue Galaxy" is tedious not for the grinding per se, but because even the super duper secret boss is completely doable at level 70ish. Also Maximum Lily Rank in Neptunia U has the same problem, since completing the game 100% is much quicker to do.

Oct 25, 2017
Far Cry 2 was ridiculous. The multiplayer trophies require you to get to max rank and collect weapon handbooks and this takes ~80 hours of focused boosting or 1000+ hours of legit gameplay. I remember XP sometimes not being rewarded after the match so that's quite insane.
Far Cry 2 is impossible without boosting. One of the weapon handbooks requires you to get 250 multi-kills with a grenade launcher that is so weak it won't kill in one hit. So you need to have two enemies, both wounded, next to each other and then fire that really weak grenade and hope they both get killed. 250 times. Never happening in legit games.

Feb 5, 2019
The trophy in SoulCalibur V that requires you travel 80k+ meters I think it is. I got all other trophies in the game and I think I'm only at around 25k.

The trophy in Tales of Graces f to max the Eleth is pretty obnoxious too.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this achievement is necessarily bad, but the My Kung-fu is Stronger achievement from MK9 required players to have something like 24h of gameplay time with each character in the game, plus a number of ranked online victories (something like 100?) with each character as well. Very grueling (and also impossible to get ever since GameSpy went kaput).
Good news: The PS3 version of MK9 was patched to use different servers so the MP (and platinum) is still available. Vita version never got patched so that one's gone forever though.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Im one trophy away from a platnium in bad company 2. Last troohy is

'Knife five friends on your friends list '

My friends dont play games. Not only that, why five ? Who plays in a squad of five ? You cant

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
The ones involving luck are infuriating. I remember in Alienation you had to drop a rare piece of equipment with a certain number of slots in it. The developpers even gave some bullshit explanation for this crap. Fuck it.

I have to say, some shit I saw here requiring to be on top of global leaderboards is surreal lol.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
i haven't played it but i believe Pillars of Eternity has an achievement exclusively for kickstarter backers or somesuch

also, Gravity Ghost has an achievement for speedrunning it in 50 minutes when the WR is like 40? i had some trouble with Gorogoa and Ittle Dew's speedruns but those are considerably shorter games. really i think the ideal is something like Hollow Knight where there's a good amount of leeway but not enough that a first-timer would get it on accident

Oct 25, 2017
Im one trophy away from a platnium in bad company 2. Last troohy is

'Knife five friends on your friends list '

My friends dont play games. Not only that, why five ? Who plays in a squad of five ? You cant
PlaystationTrophies guide says that you can get five kills on the same friend for the trophy. The hard part is getting a friend on the enemy team. Apparently your friend can press "join a friend" and have a chance to get placed on the enemy team that way.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I don't concern myself overly much with Trophies but I remember wanting to collect all the diamonds in Far Cry 2 because I enjoyed it so much and then up popped a Bronze Trophy. I felt it was rather a weak reward but thinking on it now it was probably a metaphor for real-world exploitation of diamonds or something so you only get the lowest tier trophy for it. From a video game collectathon perspective, I would have assumed it was a Silver or Gold - Diamonds all shiny and worth lots - but as I said I am probably over or underthinking it.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Surprised no one has mentioned earth defense force.

In 4.1, you need to beat all 85+ missions with all 4 classes in 4 different difficulties.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fly the Co-op in GTA IV. They all have a time limit and you have to complete the mission and get back to your starting point. Also you start on foot and you are no where near your objective. You only have 3 lives too. It requires 3 to 4 players.

Only 0.48% completed this trophy. 4,688 people got it over 11 years.

I think most people never bothered due to another trophy progress resetting when you log off, requiring you do it all in one sitting for like 9 hours boosting (just you, another 9 for your partner).

Feb 4, 2018
SSX 2012 had this trophy where you had to enter an online event with 50,000 other players. Problem is, even when the game was at its most active, there were never that many players doing online events. Of course, all the hardcore fans were bummed because we wanted the plat, so one day the dev team gave the community a wink and a nudge and we found that one of the events suddenly had tens of thousands of bots in it. It's funny, other than that trophy the plat is super easy, but because of that it's rare.

Kinda funny at the time, but it was really sad because that's when we realized it may not have performed to expectations. That, or the trophy number was super arbitrary lol.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I forget which Turok game it was, but it was on the 360. There was an achievement for killing an enemy, a creature, a teammate, and yourself in one round of multiplayer. I don't think I have to explain why that was a bad idea.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I was going to say GRAW and any game that requires reaching the top of a global leaderboard but that was taken. I will go with any game that requires online multiplayer but the servers were shut down.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Having to beat all the co-op missions on Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. It would not be as bad if there was local play, but having to rely on shoddy network play and fighting multiple bosses at once made it infuriating.