• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
As many has already mentioned, LA Noire. Great game, but even the developers must have realised how pointless it was when they added the skip button when travelling between locations.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The potshots at BOTW are pretty ridiculous. It's cool to dislike the game but that open-world is about the furthest thing from pointless.

Oct 27, 2017
Mafia 2

Made a large open city with literally nothing to do in it except drive from one main mission to the next.

I rented the game and kept thinking "once I get through this linear introductory section the game will open up."

I thought that for about 7 hours before I realized it wasn't an introductory section.

Mafia 2 and LA Noire are very related in this regard.

D-Soo

Nov 1, 2017
I really enjoyed Gears 5 but yeah, definitely gears 5. There wasn't a whole lot going on in that open world.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: Most Open Worlds are pointless and 9 out of 10 open world games would be better off with a linear more focused experience. The number of games that actually pull off open world design is incredibly small.
Agreed. Traversal or the means of traversal in 95% of open world games just sucks, so you end up doing the fastest thing possible to get from point A to point B. "You're missing the stuff inbetween!" except there is nothing inbetween the vast majority of the time. You could've trimmed a ton of openness from the games and making it tighter would've been much better.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
This is true as well. One of the biggest things I feel people miss when it comes to open worlds is that they often are meant to invoke a sense of scale so that these spaces feel real and less like game levels. Worlds need breathing space to feel real and to set the pace but many people will just call it empty space.

Best example I can think of is taking Breath of the Wild's world and cutting it down to a third of its original size but keeping all the content. Just condense it all so they fit in the smaller space. Now you have no waste, no empty space, no "pointless" open world. Just pure gameplay utility. But that version of Breath of the Wild would not even come close to what we have.

This discussion puts me in mind of an article I read about the original Western release of Studio Ghibli's movies published by Disney. Taking Laputa/Castle in the Sky as an example, Miyazaki's original had a soundscape full of quiet moments. Sounds of the wind and nature, people talking and conflict in the distance. Those moments filled in the story of the world, the events that were happening. When Disney brought them over they requested that the music composer extend his sound tracks to fill in those quiet moments because "Americans become uneasy if there are long moments without music", and so those movies were altered (a practice Miyazaki put a stop to later on). But maybe Disney was right. Americans have to have constant noise and lack appreciation for quiet or rest. That would also explain the discussion around "Breath of the Wild has no music (despite having the largest sound track of any Zelda)". It's rather frustrating.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Count me in the LA Noire camp. By miles, the most forgettable and useless open-world I ever experienced. Not the one I dislike the most, but the most pointless for sure.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Horizon.

It was a combat focused game that was spread way too thin. No engagment in the map, it was quite the looker but had Spider-Man PS4 levels of open world when it came to thinks to do.

Love the driveby BoTW answers with pretty much no explanation or detail.

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Does L.A Noire count?

There was an open world in there but it felt like you barely scratched it while playing.

EDIT: Clearly it counts.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
First post nailed it. MGSV's open world has to be the emptiest, most boring open world crafted. It would only be slightly better if it wasn't the same environment across the entirety of it. What's worse is they take you to another equally boring wasteland mid way through. Huge disappointment after hearing him praise other open world games and then ignore all of what made them interesting.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
ME: Andromeda and LA Noire.

Both make the games actively worse by presenting people with open worlds with fuck all to do that mainly serve as a way of padding time between the actual good bits of the game.

Remove the open worlds from both and they become tighter, better experiences.

thenadamgoes

Nov 17, 2017
As a die hard MGS fan. MGSV is subpar to Gound Zeros. If MGSV had been a bunch of Ground Zeros style areas...it would GOAT.

That said, I think Batman Arkham Knight is it. That game is just endlessly filled with the same 10 activities in 10 different zones. It's so annoying.

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
MGSV's open world isn't pointless, just badly designed. I know Kojima wanted us to organically infiltrate bases and camps on the map, but the traversal was terrible and many missions end when you escape the base anyway. Having to revisit a lot of locations doesn't really help either.

My answer to the OP's question would be Nier" Automata, it's a great game, but it should have been made with smaller and more intimate levels in mind.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Rage 2 and Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

Would have been better if both were linear. :)

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I enjoyed all previous games but I've been avoiding 5 so far when I read it was open world.

It's not really an "open world game", there are just two chapters that have large open world areas that you need to traverse to get from one mission to the next. You don't spend much time at all in those open areas, but, as such there is just really no point in having these hubs. It's still a really good game, and if you've enjoyed all the previous Gears games I'm sure you'd probably still really like this one.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
L.A. Noire. While I enjoyed the banter traveling from scene to scene it was mostly pointless outside of achievement hunting. So lifeless and dull.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Horizon.

It was a combat focused game that was spread way too thin. No engagment in the map, it was quite the looker but had Spider-Man PS4 levels of open world when it came to thinks to do.

Love the driveby BoTW answers with pretty much no explanation or detail.

Is quite simple.

Repetitive Open World with only exploration as a strong point.

Combat is really repetitive and basic.. open world could have been more enjoyable if this was not a problem.

Shrines are part of the open world and they are also repetitive.. the first 3 or 4 times is fun.. after that is just a chore.

Since the game has a really lackluster story the open world feels empty and also the music is absent most of the time.

I could keep going with things that are not well done in the game but I rather wait for part 2 and hope that is going to a be a game 90% different from BOTW.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
MGS5. Outside of missions there's absolutely nothing to do in the open world, and most of the main missions are set in areas of the open world designed specifically for those missions. Would have been better if it was structured more like Peace Walker.

Nov 17, 2017
This discussion puts me in mind of an article I read about the original Western release of Studio Ghibli's movies published by Disney. Taking Laputa/Castle in the Sky as an example, Miyazaki's original had a soundscape full of quiet moments. Sounds of the wind and nature, people talking and conflict in the distance. Those moments filled in the story of the world, the events that were happening. When Disney brought them over they requested that the music composer extend his sound tracks to fill in those quiet moments because "Americans become uneasy if there are long moments without music", and so those movies were altered (a practice Miyazaki put a stop to later on). But maybe Disney was right. Americans have to have constant noise and lack appreciation for quiet or rest. That would also explain the discussion around "Breath of the Wild has no music (despite having the largest sound track of any Zelda)". It's rather frustrating.
Ooh yeah, that really does make a lot of sense. I too often find myself needing constant engagement but I recognize it and can switch it off for things like BotW.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
I scarcely get why Breath of the Wild is mentioned, though that severely stretches the definition of "pointless" in relation to this game. Only makes sense if you are saying that the conception or existence of the game itself is pointless, though that is most likely not what the OP is asking.

I more get some of the flak it gets in relation to substantial content beyond the usual oooh-ing and aaahh-ing of the world itself. Its mostly a grind/loot fest with only the world itself to distract from it. The world is outstanding and the game is far from the worst open-world effort I have played, but there is definitely ample room for improvement in BOTW2.

DA: Inquisition had the most unpleasant, excessive, bland, distracting, un-immersive open-world I've ever tried

I think I'm going to decide that Dragon Age: Inquisition is my #1 pointless. It added so little to the game and cheapened much of the questing compared to prior games. In addition, the world itself was so forgettable due to the scale size of the MC in relation to it. A couple had almost no content whatsoever. It also fragmented the world which otherwise would have been cohesive if woven together like prior games.

LA Noire and the like may have pointless worlds, but you aren't really forced to slog through them for hours on end. Just soak in the eye candy from a distance and move on. To me, they are more "harmlessly pointless"

Last edited:

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda

Never anything interesting, terrible driving, braindead mining, awful map that sometimes doesn't load, questionable fast travel points.

And if you count the planet navigation too, before patching you had to sit there and watch 20 seconds of star travel animations. Cool the first few times, and then just brutal to sit through, further aggravated by the fetch quest design.

Oh skill progression and story bits tied to collectathon of random "fragments" for no reason.

Finally, first contact alien world that already displays Arabic numerals. Why bother doing open world if you don't even try scifi world building.

It was even worse when BotW came immediately afterwards

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
MGSV wasn't pointless, it was just empty and vapid and was poorly done to the point where it renders some of the best game mechanics in existant useless for 99.9% of your playtime. Like Venom plays amazingly but the world is so empty with boilerplate repetitive Soviet checkpoints that you barely get to do anything with him. So it's more harmful than pointless.

LA Noire was genuinely pointless.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
The open-world in Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise was..... ugh.... the shitty buggy didn't help. It made sense on paper, you'd absolutely want to explore the wasteland. But Mad Max did it a million times better.

Great game otherwise.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Is quite simple.

Repetitive Open World with only exploration as a strong point.

Combat is really repetitive and basic.. open world could have been more enjoyable if this was not a problem.

Shrines are part of the open world and they are also repetitive.. the first 3 or 4 times is fun.. after that is just a chore.

Since the game has a really lackluster story the open world feels empty and also the music is absent most of the time.

I could keep going with things that are not well done in the game but I rather wait for part 2 and hope that is going to a be a game 90% different from BOTW.

Repetition and loops are part of gaming experiences. If they don't feel rewarding to you they aren't fun, that doesn't mean that the open world is "pointless." They are very intentional in its design and interactivity. There aren't many open worlds that let you do what BoTW does.