• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Saying stuff like Malenia is the worst boss From has ever made, being worse than stuff like Bed of Chaos, Micolash, etc.Malenia has 2 things against her :

Her HP gimmick
Her flurry attack

Her flurry attack sucks, but after a while , you can pretty much learn how to dodge it consistently. I think she is one of the best bosses From has ever done. The only thing I would change about her is either lower the HP gains when she hits you or just remove the HP gimmick completely. She is a very hard boss, but in my opinion, I don't think she is super BS like most are saying, feel free to disagree , but please don't resort to insults.

taytwo

Dec 3, 2018
Just reduce the amount of hp she gets back per hit. She would be too easy if it was gone completely imo. I agree though she isn't has hard as people are making her out to be

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's an incredible fight, one of my favourites in the game. It's also one of the 2-3 fights that almost managed to get me to classic FromSoft frustration like the old games do, and I had a love/hate relationship with fighting her in the 3 days that I tried it before finally beating her after 20-30 tries or so.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I like to imagine that there might be this many threads for the next Armored Core game.

It's not going to happen, but it's such a nice thought.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Different people are going to have problems with different bosses. Shocker I know. Personally Malenia has been my wall for the past few days. Have tried multiple builds against her and haven't got the job done yet.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
As someone that just spent 3 hours learning Malenia I think it'd be cool to read a thread full of discussion on the fight but this isn't the best framing... starting off with "people I disagree with are exagerrating" isn't the greatest way to foster a healthy conversation

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
It's 100% a bullshit fight, even if it's obviously doable. The design makes sense if you consider it tailor-made to counteract some of the crutches they give you for other fights (ashes, specifically the Mimic Tear - it's bad at dodging, so it just feeds her health). But at the same time it heavily encourages other crutches to make dodging mistakes less costly (bleeds, specifically). Glad it's optional, certainly not a fight I'm gonna bother with on every playthrough.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
As someone that just spent 3 hours learning Malenia I think it'd be cool to read a thread full of discussion on the fight but this isn't the best framing... starting off with "people I disagree with are exagerrating" isn't the greatest way to foster a healthy conversation
Lol fair enough, I should have named the topic betterr, but I do think most people exaggerate when they say she is the worst boss in the series.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
She is still the hardest boss they've made though, at least for me. I've never had to spend 4 hours on a boss in FromSoft games before.

Closest was maybe the doggo in one of the Chalice dungeons when I was going for Platinum in Bloodborne. All those one shots.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
Sprint past her first 2 parts of the combo and then dodge into the third = complete dodge 100% of the time.

Great boss. No problem whatsoever with the optional hard boss to be, you know, hard.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I won't stand for this Micolash slander. It's an incredibly entertaining and memorable setpiece.

The issue with Malenia is that her flurry takes the fight from 0-100. You can be beating her ass for most of the phase, then she flurries and kills you. Especially with the mimic, the fight is honestly not that hard until she flurries. The flurry is also unique with how strong it is and how well it tracks each of its sequences - it's by far the hardest attack in the game to learn how to deal with. If the flurry 100% had to be as it is now, I would have honestly wanted her to be programmed to open the fight with it every single time without fail to make it easier to lab against. As it stands now, the randomness of that attack is just frustrating imo.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
She is still the hardest boss they've made though, at least for me. I've never had to spend 4 hours on a boss in FromSoft games before.
Ohh no doubt she is very hard, but she is not worst designed boss in Souls , like most of the complains I read about, she is a doable challenging boss fight.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Lol fair enough, I should have named the topic betterr, but I do think most people exaggerate when they say she is the worst boss in the series.
Yeah I don't think she's BAD. She's jarring af though, which is what I think is causing the frustration. Nothing else in the game knocks you on your ass like she does.

With most ER bosses I can usually work out a decent Strat and execute on it within a few tries. For Malenia it didn't take long for me to figure out what I needed to do, but actually DOING it was another story. I'd take more issue with her if she was mandatory, but as a superboss the difficulty works.

Also the health gimmick didn't bother me too much. If she was hitting me enough to refill her bar it probably meant I was gonna wipe anyways lol.

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
It's a badly designed boss because all the threat comes from a single attack. Wouldn't say its the worst boss, probably it's the best in the game, which says a lot about the quality of the bosses in elden ring

They have fallen a long way from sekiro in that department

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It's a badly designed boss because all the threat comes from a single attack. Wouldn't say its the worst boss, probably it's the best in the game, which says a lot about the quality of the bosses in elden ring

They have fallen a long way from sekiro in that department
She has a lot of threats , her flurry is just the hardest to dodge, and I think ER has the 2n best bosses in the series , BB has the overall best bosses.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I think that one move, on top of her two gimmicks exemplifies the endgame of from software's constant attempts to one up themselves in boss challenge in the worst way.

And no amount of dudes at level 1 rolling around naked in their undies is gonna convince me otherwise.
The small mercy is it's optional.

Worst boss? As long as bed of chaos and various wonky handicap fights exist, probably not.
Worst boss that seems to work exactly as intended though? It's up there, there's a great battle in there, smothered by from fuckery and maybe that makes it stick out all the more

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
the only hard thing she got is the flurry attack that's pulled out of sekiro, which doesn't fit this game combat at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.