• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most overrated game of this gen?

• Red Dead Redemption II

Votes: 107 28.3%
  • The Witcher 3

Votes: 35 9.3%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 101 26.7%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • Grand Theft Auto v

Votes: 17 4.5%
  • Uncharted 4

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 49 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
BOTW hands down. Doesn't mean it's bad. It's obviously a good game. But it's incredibly overrated for sure. It's generated so much hyperbole my eyes have popped out more than once.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 by far. It has too many problems have a near perfect score imo. I'd personally give it a 7/10

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was about to say "I think it's actually _______" but honestly, nah, I don't want to shit on someone else's favorite game just because I don't l like it.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BotW for me personally wasn't that great of a Zelda game. It was a fresh take on the open world game but more of a big test imo.

With the direct sequel on the way we'll see the true might of nintendo behind this game. And i'm 100% sure BotW 2 will make BotW look like the real first-try it was.

BotW 2 will make BotW look like a 6-7/10 game and i'm already happily waiting for all the crow and 180s on this one. Why suddenly BotW wasn't as good as everybody screamed it was.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
RDR2 by a countrymile. I loved RDR1, but the way missions were designed was simply ten years behind everyone else was already doing. I loved the graphics, atmosphere and Arthur Morgan is a fantastic protagonist, but man, it was a chore to play.

Uncharted 4 also is extremely overrated, imho. Some of the best things the series has ever done are just marred by the abysmal pacing and what I'd call the leftover game design from The Last of Us, which consists of boosting up your AI partner up ledges or removing obstacles all the time. What worked in a way slower game like TLoU just felt misplaced in U4.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
RDR2 for me, massive disappointment, I loved RDR1 and was portbegging a pc version for years but RDR2 felt so incredibly restrictive in all it's facets.
It's just not the kind of game I like to play.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Easily BotW. Not a bad game, but has WAY too many flaws.
All minor and innthe eyes of the critics, none of them even combined to detract from the experience. You can not like the decision to have weapon durability, or no dungeons, but those are not flaws. In the spirit of the question being aske it has to be RDR2 or MSG5 due to the glaring weakness of one having bad gameplay and forced non gameplay and the other being clearly an unfinished game.

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
While I did not like all of those games, I can see why people appreciate them. Now, why Shadow of Mordor was so popular, I will never understand.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Totally Red Dead Redemption 2, it isn't a bad game, just one with many flaws that should have resulted in 8-8.5 reviews instead of perfect 10. Rockstar always gets a pass with its outdated mission structure and poor controls. Plus the unbearable animations for everything to slow things down and get in the way of having fun.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Every Nintendo game is basically considered a 10 and everyone online is too scared to say hey a From Software game is only ok because resetera and youtube will go super far to harass the reviewer

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
RDR2 seems like a game that was so hyped up, everyone had made up their minds about it being amazing before it even came out.

Not on the list: Bloodborne. I know that there's the "It's just not for you." argument, but I legitimately believe that it just was blessed with a bandwagon effect where it's uncool to dislike it.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
None, you negative Nancies. How do some of you find the energy to get out of bed in the morning/afternoon with your constant negativity towards everything?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
From the list I'd say Uncharted 4. Witcher 3 and RDR II are two games with weak gameplay that should be 80s at maximum because of that, but both are incredible atmospheric and ambitious, and Tw3 has some good story segments here and there.

But I don't think that U4 has anything great besides the presentation ( graphics and animations, voice acting too), as both the story and the pacing are really weak.

Opinions, obviously, but the only game on the list that deserves the score it has IMO is BotW.

Mar 18, 2019
Witcher 3, by far. That game has sub-par gameplay, yet gets a free pass. It doesn't deserve anywhere near as much praise as it gets.

Apr 27, 2019
User Warned: Hostility towards another member
Bad idea for a thread, everyone has different opinions on different games, there's no real answer to your question. Just because someone really like a game and you don't doesn't mean it's "overrated'. They're rated just fine, to their opinion.

Every game you listed was reviewed with the right score.
Bad idea for a thread, there isn't a right answer and people might have a discussion about video games on a website designed for discussions about video games. Are you just really stupid or something? Is your brain mass all right?

boi

Nov 1, 2017
BotW is a barebones Zelda experience where in some cases its brilliance shines through.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I voted RDR2 - Breath of the Wild is a very close second. RDR2 is beautiful on the surface, but a clunky mess underneath. As for BotW - well I'd like an actual Zelda game next time - not the rather average open world game we got. I appreciate there's people who love these games, so don't @ me. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
From the FAQ:

Do Not Create: List Threads
A list thread is a thread that encourages replies that largely or completely take the form of lists. For example: Asking members to rank their favorite characters in media. These threads tend not to generate much, if any, actual discussion or member interaction. Voting threads (threads that solicit ballot-style replies) will usually fall under this category as well, unless a lot of effort is put into them.​

Status
Not open for further replies.