• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Currently playing through Persona 3 Portable and at a boss that has a huge difficulty spike. For the curious
Sleeping Table/Tziah Block F135

But the first one that comes to mind is when I was playing Persona 4 on PS2 for the first time, which was...
Shadow Teddie. UGH. I believe he was after fighting Rise's shadow as well, which completely threw me off. I fought a long half hour if not longer only to get wiped out.

First one in memory is Demon Wall in FF7.

Any of the most memorable walls you guys have?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Some Bossfight in Shinobi on PS2. Something like a big wall or a small corridor fight, I don't remember exactly, but I gave up and never finished the game. Shit was harder than any Ninja Gaiden or Souls game for me.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
images

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
"Dance aqua dance !" in KH2 and dark riku in chain of memories, months it took !

Zephyr

Nov 9, 2017
Spain
The first time i played Legend of Dragoon i couldn't beat the final boss of the first disc (video on the spoiler). I had to restart the game since the concept of grinding levels was foreign to my 10 year old self. Since then i've beaten this game countless times (its my all time favorite) but i still get anxious when the battle starts.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Sad I know, but in Mario Odyssey, near peaches castle, there was a 2d level I must have failed at 200 times before finally succeeding.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
that riku fight with the unskippable cutscene before it will forever be etched into my heart because of the ramped up difficulty. in subsequent playthroughs i just waltzed through him, but on my very first playthrough it was quite tough for me back then as a kid

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Revenge+of+Shinobi%252C+The+%2528REV+03%2529+%2528JUE%2529010.png

i don't think kid me ever managed that jump.
so a wall to this day i think.
(revenge of shinobi/megadrive)

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Early disc 2 of parasite eve 2. There is a door with a passcode inside a facility. I kniw how tue resident evils work but somehow I can't figure this one out.
I managed to overgrind while looking around for a solution to the point where enemies stopped spawning. I was so powerful at that point. Still haven't got through now. I should play that game again. Its really good.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
The final boss in any 2D fighting game ever.

"Do I play easy mode and see the ending, but not have any fun, or play on normal difficulty and fight the final boss 30 times before maybe winning?"

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Another vote for Matador. Comes out of nowhere, it's not optional, and unlike most Nocturne boss battles you don't get a prompt beforehand to choose to start it.

Without any help from the internet or friends, you have to find what makes Matador lose turns, find/fuse those demons or prepare your own abilities, and there's still some luck involved. Nowadays it's simple, but when you're younger and lack intuition for looking things up or just in general, it's tough!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This bullshit. Literally mashed a as fast as possible, and was impossible. I beat it years later and eventually the game.
300px-LightFootTestofStrength.jpg

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Recently? Four Kings in Dark Souls. I had been playing the game basically as an Action game and leveling up all of the useful stats (so everything but Faith and Res) equally, which meant when I suddenly needed to play it as an RPG it completely threw me.

I'd still say it speaks to poor game design because it takes a game that can be played in different ways and then forces you to play it a certain way for a specific spot, before letting you diverge again. Even Fire Lord Gwyn is more about either character-action style combo rhythm or action-adventure style spacing and patterns.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 4
Shadow Mitsuo. Took me a few days because the whole two turn thing caught me off guard.

OP
OP
BigHatPaul

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
images

Tower Knight from Demon's Souls; took me several tries and years to beat him
It took me a solid amount of time to figure it out (not years, did it the same night I started), but once I found out how, it was the coolest boss fight. Iron Golem definitely seems like a shout out to this, but it made me feel like I was playing a Zelda game when I figured out how to take him out. I'd love for future FromSoft games to have boss fights like this.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Wiegraf Folles in Final Fantasy Tactics. I had already played Tactics Ogre so I have no excuse.

OP
OP
BigHatPaul

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Recently? Four Kings in Dark Souls. I had been playing the game basically as an Action game and leveling up all of the useful stats (so everything but Faith and Res) equally, which meant when I suddenly needed to play it as an RPG it completely threw me.

I'd still say it speaks to poor game design because it takes a game that can be played in different ways and then forces you to play it a certain way for a specific spot, before letting you diverge again. Even Fire Lord Gwyn is more about either character-action style combo rhythm or action-adventure style spacing and patterns.
Four Kings is commonly referred to as a DPS check. That's all it boils down to. If you were leveling other stats you should have been okay depending on the load out and how much damage you can dish out. Res, as you may know now, is completely useless to level up. Faith, too, if you're not using miracles.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
For me right now it's PUBG nothing it going my way in the game. From not getting a kill or getting a weapon at the start. Just a few weeks ago I would get all the good weapons right from the start and get 6 per game.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
There was some bird I remember in Lost Odyssey early in the game where I could not beat it. I more blame my lack of jrpg skills. Was really enjoying it up until that point.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
The Music Box challenge in the Witness. This has been one of my favorite surprise games of all time, but this challenge has had me stumped for about 2 months of repeatedly banging my head against the figurative wall.

OP
OP
BigHatPaul

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
The Music Box challenge in the Witness. This has been one of my favorite surprise games of all time, but this challenge has had me stumped for about 2 months of repeatedly banging my head against the figurative wall.
This is the only thing I still haven't done in The Witness and I'm really not looking forward to taking the plunge.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Alex Kidd in Miracle World:
mDlmAoW.png

The Four-Eyed tower boss in Gargoyle's Quest was a tough one to beat as a kid, it's my main memory of playing that game.

Oct 27, 2017
I think my most memorable was the 2nd dungeon in Links Awakening back in the day. There is a room where you have to kill the enemies in a certain order, but I was quite young at the time when the game came out and I never really understood it. I dont remember if I actually solved it or just kept brute forcing it until something happened but I remember being stuck there for such a long time.

Also, Tower Knight(I think 1-2 boss) in Demons souls caused me to quit the game multiple times. I didnt really get the game at the time and kept dying in like one hit. Eventually I got through it and enjoyed the game. I probably restarted the game about 3 times over the year it came out before finally clicking.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bowletta, aka the final boss, in Mario Superstar Saga. I experienced that game's ending through imagination stitched together with the pictures the strategy guide had. Never did beat it.

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
Seymour Flux and Yunalesca

It was smooth sailing for me until I reached those bosses. Doesn't help that
-You can't skip cutscenes
-They fuck up your Aeons almost instantly
-They have the exact gimmick
-They have the same theme

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimecia's Castle.
Just noped when my menu got locked out. So I've never finished it, lol

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Nothing will ever top this because you literally cant play the game before doing it and its the first fucking thing you have to do without any real explanation about how and what

To this day i still dont know how Driver is cause i never passed it

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
The Old Hunters DLC for Bloodborne. Stopped me dead in my tracks on my first playthrough of the game and now ive still never beat the main game because I hear the dlc is even more brutal with new game plus.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
The fight against Dragon Tank in Chrono Trigger

I was very young and didnt know English at all. That note about not using fire against it ? I was just going to understand it years later, so I spammed fire techniques from Lucca and I was like "wtf with this boss"

I remember being very overpowered after beating it

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The part where you need the manual in Star Tropics to proceed. I bought the game loose back then so it really pissed me off.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Seymour Flux and Yunalesca

It was smooth sailing for me until I reached those bosses. Doesn't help that
-You can't skip cutscenes
-They fuck up your Aeons almost instantly
-They have the exact gimmick
-They have the same theme
I remember having to cheese Seymour Flux by getting all my Aeons into Overdrive before starting the fight. Then the winning threshold is Number of Aeons x9999 HP left as he'll use his turn dismissing the Aeon after taking 9999 damage to the face.

Yunalesca... I just let the Zombie status be and cast Reflect on my party. It did reflect Curaga back on her, but DPS is never really a problem in FFX. Then just went without healing and revived people as they fell.

Oct 26, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Radiant Absolute Radiance. Radiant as in the difficulty mode where you die if you take one hit.

Trying to no-hit this boss for the reward was the biggest brick wall I had ever hit in gaming. I felt like oftentimes, she would get in a cheap hit due to overlapping attacks (wall of light + laser beams and wall of light + lateral daggers can go fuck themselves). I was very close to quitting the Hall of Gods multiple times bc it felt like I would never be able to accomplish all-Radiants. I am happy that I finally beat her last night. It took a lot of patience, seeing where I should be aggressive and where I should focus on dodging.