• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hamoody

Oct 25, 2017
What was the most memorable game you have played back in the early days? Well for me, I can definitely say it was Pepsi Man on the PS1.

d56.jpg

Greenymac

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Bros 3 without a doubt. I loved everything about it, even the crazy yellow box with blue lettering.

Drelkag

Oct 25, 2017
HarvestMoon64_64Box_20041015.jpg

Harvest Moon 64. Was the first game I played that didn't involve some kind of platforming or combat. Kept it rented for weeks before my parents finally got it for me.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At my friends house it was
asterix-obelix-europe-enfrdees.png

Was always fun to play this in coop and even bought this game last year for my collection.

At home it was either Pokémon Red and my never ending fear of the Rock Tunnel or watching how my sister played Majora's Mask.

mugendee

Oct 25, 2017
I would have to say Banjo Kazooie - spent so many hours with this game, collecting everything possible and exploring every single corner of those levels.

69821-banjo-kazooie-nintendo-64-front-cover.jpg

And follow closely by a random one I don't see talked about much: Jet Set Radio Future - for some reason I absolutely LOVED this game. The soundtrack, the style, the graffiti, the setting - I replayed this so so much!

JetSetRadioFuturebox.jpg

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the Mario games on NES. I knew I liked gaming but going from crappy platformers on home computers (C64/Spectrum/ST/Amiga) with floaty controls and pushing up on a joystick to jump to SMB1 was an awakening of sorts.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy IX.

I remember feeling so guilty when I pressed Select in MGS the first time I played, I was almost in tears. :p

With FFIX I loved just about everything with it, the style, characters, the setting. It's sad they never made another Final Fantasy like it.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario World

I could only beat the first level for several years.

I know, I suck.

10 and older, Pokemon Blue.

12 was Power Stone 2.

And follow closely by a random one I don't see talked about much: Jet Set Radio Future - for some reason I absolutely LOVED this game. The soundtrack, the style, the graffiti, the setting - I replayed this so so much!

JetSetRadioFuturebox.jpg

Game for 14 year-old me.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Most memorable? Probably

1ZE3Z8F.jpg

Though Ultima VII and Star Control 2 are probably tied for the top spot.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would have to say Banjo Kazooie - spent so many hours with this game, collecting everything possible and exploring every single corner of those levels.

69821-banjo-kazooie-nintendo-64-front-cover.jpg

Yeah Banjo-Kazooie is mine too. First time I felt absorbed into the world of a game. I spent hours looking for every secret and trying to find out the mystery of Stop N Swap.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Easily the first Contra. Also the first game I ever beat. Music was amazing in that game as well and the guns were wild, they all fired in unique ways.
Obviously growing up back then also hard not to think.
contraLIFESPOILER.gif

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
wanted to say majoras mask but nah

It is smash bros melee!
So many friends came after primary school just to play that game. Feeling a little bit nostalgic just thinking about that time

Just seeing the character select menu brings back memories
Characters-26lzcp6.png

MisterDodo

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Runescape-Logo.png

Back when I still had dial-up, I'd only play RuneScape alongside my brother, switching to let the other one play every 30 minutes. I remember refusing to do any quests, and grinding Woodcutting on the willow tree in Lumbridge. Great times.

Oct 25, 2017
There's quite a few, but I'll try to keep it simple:

Played Fighters Megamix a lot on my Saturn and it's a game I always think of when remembering games as a kid

Fighters_Megamix_Coverart.png

I sunk SO MANY quarters into Lethal Enforcers
Lethal_Enforcers.png

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say:

Super_Mario_64_box_cover.jpg

And:

The_Legend_of_Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time_box_art.png

Have so many fond memories of playing a lot of N64 titles as a kid, since it was my first proper console, but these two in particular.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I loved Rad Gravity on the NES... Never beat it though, I was stuck somewhere in the last level. I replayed it not long ago, it's not as bad as I was afraid I must say.

mugendee

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Banjo-Kazooie is mine too. First time I felt absorbed into the world of a game. I spent hours looking for every secret and trying to find out the mystery of Stop N Swap.

Oh man, I forgot about that Stop N Swap! Rattled my mind. I also always loved that you had to go to the Sand Castle in Treasure Trove Cove to ground bash in the cheat codes like give Banjo a massive head - ahhh the memories.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
TMNT NES

whEpPb2.jpg

Most notably for how hard it was, secondly because it was the first game I owned. I was such a huge Turtles fan as a kid and I really wanted to beat this game, but I couldn't. I remember getting to a rooftops level, but never got any further than that.

Drelkag

Oct 25, 2017
Runescape-Logo.png

Back when I still had dial-up, I'd only play RuneScape alongside my brother, switching to let the other one play every 30 minutes. I remember refusing to do any quests, and grinding Woodcutting on the willow tree in Lumbridge. Great times.

Ah, RuneScape would be up there for me too. Half the computer lab would be playing together.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Phantasy Star
89149-Phantasy_Star_(USA,_Europe)_(v1.3)-6.png

I was a 7 years old console gamer back then and didn't know anything about RPGs. It was an amazing experience discovering the mechanics of the genre by my own. When I realized Alys could get stronger by defeating enemies my mind was blown away! I remember spending many afternoons mapping dungeons my with sister. Good times.

CrusoeCMYK

Oct 25, 2017
Immediately my mind takes me back to Dynamite Headdy. I remember being floored by the opening sequence, having not previously seen a game which such a liberal use of color, detailed sprite work and lively animation.

Dynamite_Headdy_Coverart.png

tumblr_nzdmnnIntH1roqda3o1_500.gif

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I think it's either Mario 64,Banjo Kazooie, or Tetris. My father isn't a gamer by any means but he liked those games. Especially Tetris. He would try to beat me so many times until one time he did and was so happy. Those memories are truly special to me.

Moti

Oct 25, 2017
Runescape-Logo.png

This post wins, If i remember correctly think I ended up with all 99's except from Hunter and Summoning.
Going back even further into my childhood though I'd probably say Banjo Kazooie/Goldeneye/Mario 64. Played all 3 for countless of amount of hours, I remember playing BK with my mum she loved it haha.

Theodoricos

Oct 25, 2017
There's one game that I'll always associate with my childhood, one of the very first ones I ever played - Commander Keen 4.

keen41.png

My actual first game was either the original Prince of Persia or Lemmings, but I didn't play those for long, whereas Commander Keen 4 (and the rest of the series) I played regularly. Still love the franchise and I come back to it every once in a while.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. Spent over 10 years trying to 100% my original save file and finally got to get that last 3% to 100 with the help of my boyfriend. It's also the first game I ever owned for my first console.

Also LEGO Star Wars for the PS2. 100%'d the first game with my father back in the day.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
A somewhat boring answer, but I don't think I have just a few; it sometimes feels like every game I've played (and indeed, some I've just seen but caught my imagination) sticks pretty indelibly in my mind.

It's a reason why I hung out in the "Games you remember, names you don't" thread in the old place so much, so much stuff is rattling around up there that I could make reasonable suggestions quite a bit of the time.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario World and Hyper Zone. Been playing them since I was 2 when my parents bought me a Super Nintendo. Excellent games, too.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Super Mario World and I still play it from time to time.
Must have finished it at least 20 times.

Banjo Kazooie/Tooie is another, dem nostalgia feelings yo.

Deleted member 1484

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to go with the first Sonic the Hedgehog for the Master System. I was 3 when I first played it hahahaha
it's been 20 years since whoa

fb-preview.jpg

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yes! I loved Mega Man growing up, and then they threw in some 90's edge and I could not get enough
TMNT NES

whEpPb2.jpg

Most notably for how hard it was, secondly because it was the first game I owned. I was such a huge Turtles fan as a kid and I really wanted to beat this game, but I couldn't. I remember getting to a rooftops level, but never got any further than that.
I remember it fondly, but I know nothing of what happens after the screenshot you posted

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
My absolute first game was Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: The Treasure of Tarmin on Intellivision 2. Super fond memories of playing this with my sister.

When I was a little older, I loved Phantasy Star IV soooo much. Of course the NES Mario's and stuff as well.