• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most influential game of all time

• Super Mario Bros

Votes: 497 55.7%
  • Minecraft

Votes: 18 2.0%
  • Pacman

Votes: 44 4.9%
  • Goldeneye 007

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • Metal Gear Solid

Votes: 33 3.7%
  • Super Mario 64

Votes: 149 16.7%
  • Doom

Votes: 140 15.7%

• Total voters

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Metal Gear definitely deserves to be on that list for voice acting and cinematics. I don't think anything else at the time matched the quality of voice work (and it's still better than a lot of stuff today). And he did real time cutscenes.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Goldeneye is more influential than the likes of Tetris, Zelda, Space Invaders and likely many others I can't remember?

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017
Of all time? Pacman, Pong, Doom, Tetris, Half-Life, Quake, even GTA3 (I would say it was the most "influential").

SMB is also a good bet.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
i mean, it was discussed right in this very thread. There was no saving and no industry that needed saving. I have no clue how this even became a thing

Right. I saw your discussion about it. I disagree. I think you are underestimating it's importance. It proved that console gaming was more than just a fad, and brought gaming back into so many households in a way that PC gaming, which was still very niche at the time, could not. I'm old enough to remember what it was like.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Right. I saw your discussion about it. I disagree. I think you are underestimating it's importance. It proved that console gaming was more than just a fad, and brought gaming back into so many households in a way that PC gaming, which was still very niche at the time, could not. I'm old enough to remember what it was like.

there's nothing to disagree. What you're claiming doesnt exist. It didnt happen. There was no video game crash on a whole. It happened only in the united states. It lasted like very little. It had no effect on any othre platform. It had no effect on consoles in europe. It had no effect on computers in the entire world. It had no effect in japan.

Its a non event. Somehow it became vastly overinflated and gets attributed significance it never had.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not of all time but Hotline Miami influenced a lot in terms of music and Indie games.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
this game

Pong-TA-B1C1YX.jpg

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I think there's a difference between important and influential. Yeah, Super Mario Bros saved the industry, but how is that game impacting game design in 2019? I'd say something like Doom or Halo are more influential as they created and perfected a genre that is still wildly popular today.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm laughing at MGS even being in the poll and not pong. Completely undeserved lmao. Surprised by how overrated Kojima is on era.

Of those options it's SMB without a doubt.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Super Mario bros basically set a precedant for gaming for years, and 64 set the bar and standard for gaming in 3D

MGS showed that games can have great narrative focuses

Id put wolfenstein above doom in regards to influence because it influenced doom. Id also have halo and goldeneye on the same levek

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Pong. But since it's not on the list, SMB since it's forever a treasure and by far a foundational piece in gaming, period.

CaptainDreads

Nov 7, 2017
I think people are vastly overestimating the impact of the video game crash. It was very localised to North America.

Most people I know who play games and were alive in the early 80s were too busy playing games on their ZX Spectrums to notice the crash!

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
there's nothing to disagree. What you're claiming doesnt exist. It didnt happen. There was no video game crash on a whole. It happened only in the united states. It lasted like very little. It had no effect on any othre platform. It had no effect on consoles in europe. It had no effect on computers in the entire world. It had no effect in japan.

Its a non event. Somehow it became vastly overinflated and gets attributed significance it never had.
To be fair, the US was like 60 percent of the game market back then. That's not an insignificant number.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Super Mario Bros basically revived and re-launched the console market after Atari bit the dust and SMB was the game to play not to mention all the side scrollers we had during the 8 and 16 bit era.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SMB1 didn't invent the hop-and-bop platformer, it just created the template by which every one after was made, either by imitating it or trying to outdo it.
It's also a masterful example of game and level design, one still used to teach people about fundamentals, and not just at Nintendo.

Actually I've heard similar things about BotW too

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of that list, for influence today, it's Doom.

Overall it's Grand Theft Auto 3. You could also make an argument for Half-life 1 or even glQuake for starting the 3D acceleration race.

Fifteen years ago I would have said it was Mario 64. Nintendo's handling of manipulating a character and camera in a 3D world is masterful. But fewer games today are 3rd-person and platformers are largely a niche genre.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Bros is really the only answer as it's the game that kickstarted modern video gaming.

I recall Kojima saying it inspired him to go into video games as a career, and he created what I consider to be the second most influential video game ever made in MGS1, so there's that.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
The game market is so large and varied, it's hard to say. Super Mario Bros is a great choice, certainly, and got my vote. Platformers are long past their prime, though. But I'd argue it didn't just inflence platformers. Hell, I once made the case that it influenced Doom, with its episodic levels, distinctive enemies, and secret areas.

FPS games are bigger than ever, but today's shooters are more heavily influenced by Halo, unfortunately, than by Doom or Goldeneye. Doom was hugely influential; Goldeneye was not nearly as influential as it should've been.

Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time stand out as giants in intelligent early 3D design.