• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most influential game of all time

• Super Mario Bros

Votes: 497 55.7%
  • Minecraft

Votes: 18 2.0%
  • Pacman

Votes: 44 4.9%
  • Goldeneye 007

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • Metal Gear Solid

Votes: 33 3.7%
  • Super Mario 64

Votes: 149 16.7%
  • Doom

Votes: 140 15.7%

• Total voters

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
It was the first stealth game as we know it, at least in terms of actually being known and influencing the whole industry.

It was Thief that influenced the entire industry making stealth games. MGS was very simplistic, with pure line of sight viewed from above stealth. Every stealth game or game that uses stealth copied Thiefs mechanics.

MGS is well known and vastly more popular. But how many games play like MGS 1 does? Almost no game. Thief is everywhere

Thief isn't an immersive sim tho, it's a stealth game.
I don't even think Thief was the first stealth game tbh

It wasnt the first. There are stealth games dating back to 1981 or 1980. But it was Thief that created all the modern mechanics games use to this day. its the first game where stealth really was fully formed, in all aspects. think about it like we do with fps games, there were games with first person perspective in the 70's. But only after Doom came out we had "a genre"

zon

Oct 28, 2017
No pong or tetris is sad.

I went with Doom, fps is a pretty big thing these days. I understand why so many chose SMB though.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I usually go with Dungeons and Dragons, but I'm assuming this is only considering video games and not games in general.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Ocarina of Time pretty much set the standard for 3D action games. Some of the stuff they did there are still being used today.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I dunno I say Mario Bros because it put the NES on the map but Doom I feel had so much controversy and birthed the FPS genre (to my knowledge) as we know it today so I can't really choose. I chose Mario Bros because it's the "oldest" influential game but I can't help but feel like politically and socially Doom had a greater effect when it came out.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
No Pong, Doom or Zelda64?

My vote is Super Mario Bros, but you need those three on any poll like this

edit: You could also argue Mortal Kombat, which really brought over the top violence in video games into the main stream and launched congressional hearings

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno I say Mario Bros because it put the NES on the map but Doom I feel had so much controversy and birthed the FPS genre (to my knowledge) as we know it today so I can't really choose. I chose Mario Bros because it's the "oldest" influential game but I can't help but feel like politically and socially Doom had a greater effect when it came out.
I honestly think there's an argument to be made that Doom might never have been released if it weren't for Super Mario Bros basically saving the video game industry like it did.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
DOOM:
- Popularized the FPS genre
- Created FPS multiplayer
- Made the IBM PC the main platform for computer games (the lack of DOOM ports for other computers like the Amiga pretty much killed them)
- Popularized MODS and embraced the community to the extend that are new map packs and mods being released till this day, more than 25 years later!

but from the options there, it's Super Mario Bros
Edit: Oh, ok, DOOM is there now

Last edited:

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Ocarina of Time being omitted is a surprising choice considering the Z-Lock system created in that game is still used in modern games

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
This is some console bias if ive ever seen one. So the fact that computers invented rpgs, strategy games, adventure games, simulation games, flight games, shooters, mmorps doesnt seem to matter. Like the fact that Doom actually INVENTED the matrix for the fps genre and Half Life 1 was the game that shifted the entire industry in the way they make games doesnt seem to matter in the face of Goldeneye apparently.

You realize, people are mostly responding based on the choices given in the OP.

Why are you acid refluxing the fuck out this conversation? Just drop your shitty opinion like everyone else and soldier on.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
lol at the poll

Spacewar!, and it's not even close.

It basically invented what video games are to this day.

Simulationist. Combat as the central mechanic. Realistic graphics. Collaborative and iterative development. It's even a geek-friendly setting.

Edit: If we are to talk about "commercial" video games, then I dunno, I'd say it's a tie between Zelda and Doom. Zelda because big open-world, adventure game, complex mechanics, memorable music, etc. It's obvious many current video games draw from Zelda. And Doom because it's one giant stepping stone in 3D rendering history.

Edit 2: lol at Goldeneye and MGS.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I honestly think there's an argument to be made that Doom might never have been released if it weren't for Super Mario Bros basically saving the video game industry like it did.

is this about that videogame crash? That happened absolutely nowhere other than america and had no effect on nothing but consoles in america while computers flourished everywhere in the world? Cause nintendo didnt save anything at all and gaming was exploding everywhere. Doom is a computer game. That nintendo released a console had zero business with it

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.

But is that reeeaally what we mean when discussing "influence".

It's more like, Mario Brothers had an impact such that the videogames industry was popularized again (—in the US, as Phantom and others have expressed). Its actual influence was seen in the game design of titles which followed after.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But is that reeeaally what we mean when discussing "influence".

It's more like, Mario Brothers had an impact such that the videogames industry was popularized again. Its actual influence was seen in the game design of titles which followed after.
Oh I know, I said that in a post way above. Basically any 2D platformer at this point (whether indie or big publisher/low budget) is still being influenced by Super Mario Bros in some way or another, it's impossible to deny that.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I know, I said that in a post way above. Basically any 2D platformer at this point (whether indie or big publisher/low budget) is still being influenced by Super Mario Bros in some way or another, it's impossible to deny that.

that's certainly up for debate, Ghosts n Goblins came out the same week as Super Mario Bros. and many platformers play more like it than Mario.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Originally I was going with MGS (the cinematic stuff and all) but then I noticed Super Mario 64 on the poll and that's the only correct answer. It defined how every 3D game should feel and play.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If I have to choose from those, it's obviously Super Mario Bros, and I wouldn't agree that some of the others in the list are even particularly influential. Dark Souls is more influential than most of them.

Goldeneye being on the list is confusing to me, since it's not only a bad game but it wasn't the first at *anything* it did. Turok was a more influential console FPS than Goldeneye, because it was the first to establish a version of what would later morph into standard console FPS controls

Now that's a hot take if I ever saw one.

As for the OP, I cannot be sure about Super Mario Bros. I'm not sure of how much it changed things, was too young to judge or notice.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
SMB1 didn't invent the hop-and-bop platformer, it just created the template by which every one after was made, either by imitating it or trying to outdo it.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I don't see how anyone could pick any option on this list that isn't Super Mario Bros. I'd also take out Minecraft and Goldeneye and put in The Legend of Zelda and Pong or Tetris.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I think about this a lot. I think it's Tetris, Mario 1 or Doom, leaning Tetris. it's definitely not 007.