• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most influential game of all time

• Super Mario Bros

Votes: 497 55.7%
  • Minecraft

Votes: 18 2.0%
  • Pacman

Votes: 44 4.9%
  • Goldeneye 007

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • Metal Gear Solid

Votes: 33 3.7%
  • Super Mario 64

Votes: 149 16.7%
  • Doom

Votes: 140 15.7%

• Total voters

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
latest

Super Mario Bros- the OG of platforming. Super Mario Bros ushered in an era of gaming unlike anything before it. It was vibrant, rich in color and played like smooth butter. As I child in the 80s I remember basically trashing my Atari once the NES launched and I got my hands on Mario and Duck Hunt.
246x0w.jpg

Minecraft- The modern day "Mario bros." perhaps? This game single handedly expanded gaming to a younger audience and brought millions of people to PC gaming who before had ignored it. It also for the first time felt like you were a true sandbox, and could do and create anything you wanted.
icon_198x278.png

Pac Man- the real OG of gaming. Although Pong came first, I would argue it was Pac Man which popularized video games period. People went crazy for Pac Man and would spend hours at pizza shops playing it.
n64_goldeneye_007_p_loywkt.jpg

Golden Eye- There were FPS games before GoldenEye of course (Doom says hello, Hexen), and although fun, no game did what GoldenEye did for FPS games. It completely redefined them and imo was one of the first FPS games with a "story" and set pieces etc. GoldenEye was a game changer and set the groundwork for basically all FPS games to come.

mgs1-e1535599219996.png

Metal Gear Solid- This game is the skeleton upon which all TPS "Cinematic" games hang their body on. MGS DNA can be found in every TPS that's come out since it launched. This game was one of the first true "AAA" games ever and showed that video games can have "deep" movie like stories and qualities of a spy thriller.

Game%20N64-133-2__31767.1394708853.jpg

Super Mario 64- by popular request.

It basically created 3d gaming, making it far more playable than what came before it. It was one of the most amazing and influential games of the 20th century.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
probably Mario 64 or OoT tbh

those set the foundation for 3D gaming and their influence is still seen in just about every 3D game that's released to this day

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Ocarina of Time or Mario 64 standardized how 3D games are made.
And this is still true 20+ years later.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Super Mario Bros., for sure.

Here's what Hideo Kojima had to say about the game:

"Shigeru Miyamoto not only altered the future of gaming," Kojima says of Super Mario Bros.'s contributions to gaming, "but actually change the concept of 'value' for all forms of entertainment. And, in the process, changed my future—leading me to become the game designer I am today."

"I feel the game truly deserves to be hailed as one of mankind's greatest inventions," Kojima continues, clearly fresh from a stint in his hyperbolic chamber. "The game's design, sense of fun, interactivity, and cerebral philosophy have made it the forefather of every game that has come since and of every game yet to come."

"Super Mario Bros. is the equivalent to the big bang of our gaming universe," Kojima contends. "If it were not for this blindingly spectacular creation, digital entertainment as we know it today would not exist."

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Are you familiar with the phenomenon called "Pac-Man Fever" sweeping the nation?

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pong. It proved there was a market for home consumption thus bringing us where we are today.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
This is some console bias if ive ever seen one. So the fact that computers invented rpgs, strategy games, adventure games, simulation games, flight games, shooters, mmorps doesnt seem to matter. Like the fact that Doom actually INVENTED the matrix for the fps genre and Half Life 1 was the game that shifted the entire industry in the way they make games doesnt seem to matter in the face of Goldeneye apparently.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
From your list, Super Mario Bros without a single doubt.

Goldeneye and Metal Gear aren't even the most influential in their genres =P

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
the idea that golden eye is more influential then Doom is very funny. doom spawned the biggest genre in gaming and you can trace basically every popular fps back to it.

but it's mario or pacman. let's be honest.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I have to choose from those, it's obviously Super Mario Bros, and I wouldn't agree that some of the others in the list are even particularly influential. Dark Souls is more influential than most of them.

Goldeneye being on the list is confusing to me, since it's not only a bad game but it wasn't the first at *anything* it did. Turok was a more influential console FPS than Goldeneye, because it was the first to establish a version of what would later morph into standard console FPS controls

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Serious questin: Why is pacman considering influential?

I mean I can see big, important, huge and all that, but besides from maybe popularizing the idea of a power up, I can't see how it influenced other games that much since games evolved way too fast after that.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
From your list, Super Mario Bros without a single doubt.

Goldeneye and Metal Gear aren't even the most influential in their genres =P
Metal Gear literally invented the genre

And about Pacman, it's responsible for introducing the concept of a videogame to the general audience. I think the 4-way d-pad was new too.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
I will agree that not every game on the list is deserving (particularly Goldeneye), but easily the most influential game is Super Mario Bros. It's not even a contest honestly.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
One of these:

GoldenEye for ushering in what we know today as being the modern first person shooter.

Mario 64 for basically giving us the blueprints to proper 3D gaming AND control.

Mario Brothers helped popularize platform games, which continue to see proliferation at the indie level

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
A lot of games have been the most influential for different aspects of future games, but Mario Bros. has to be the number 1 I think. If it wasn't for that the industry probably isn't where it is today.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Metal Gear Solid wasn't even the first Stealth game in the Metal Gear franchise
It was the first stealth game as we know it, at least in terms of actually being known and influencing the whole industry.

you misspelled Thief The Dark Project over there
Immersive Sim :P

Without Mario there probably would be no Nintendo.
So, yeah.
It's Mario

Lol at Goldeneye

Which genre? Stealth games?
Yes

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Influential on what ?
The most important ? Like others said SMB. But I will add that it is the combo of the NES + SMB.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The combination of Mario 64 and the refinements made in Ocarina of Time. You still heavily see the DNA from those games in almost every non-FPS game released to this day.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
One of these:

GoldenEye for ushering in what we know today as being the modern first person shooter.

Mario 64 for basically giving us the blueprints to proper 3D gaming AND control.

jesus christ. Goldeneye didnt uther jackshit. And mario 64 had blueprints for console 3d games with a single stick. Games today mimic the mouse and keyboard controls, with the dual stick setup

OP
OP
Chrome Hyena

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
You could also make an argument for FFVII. It gave PS1 a killer app which changed the course of gaming as we know it.