• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Humped.

To Death.

By a Flaming.

Clown.

xLHIQ3P.png

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
SAO for sure, but it DEFINITELY does not have anything to do with quality.

If we're talking about audience interest and popularity (at least in the West), JoJo and Attack on Titan made the biggest splash.

Attack on Titan burned REAL bright and then the delay between season 1 and 2 absolutely killed it for the mainstream.\

In the end it's going to be the right move because they'll be able to have the ending cover the manga's upcoming ending without too much of a delay. But I know too many folks that got hooked on S1 then never went back to it for whatever reason

Nov 23, 2017
I'd say Sword Art Online and Love Live are the most influential anime of the decade for sure. SAO is trash tier but the Isekai genre really picked up afterwards. Love Live is so much fun and the idol boom kicked off afterwards even though Idolm@ster was a thing.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Sword Art Online, which prolly explains why I haven't been able to get into much anime the past decade.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao at everyone being bummed at realizing its SAO

I know the feeling....

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how you think Madoka Magica is a contender. I haven't watched either that or Love Live but from what I understand Love Live started the Idol Anime Boom.
It's definitely not at the level of SAO and isekai, but we've definitely gotten a good number of dark edgy magical girl series after Madoka that were clearly inspired by it

Oct 28, 2017

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I get when, it doesn't mean it's influence stopped right after it debuted. Had to get some traction and footing under it before it's world domination.
If we're going this route than Naruto still loses because One Piece exists and is way more popular in the one place that matters in terms of impacting the industry itself

though even then I'd argue that SAO has had more impact on the anime industry as a whole than any of the big shonen series did

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
By asking for "most influential" anime of the decade, you're boxing in the conversation a bit and setting up the thread for a lot of weird responses.

It also depends on how you define "influence", because I would suggest that we won't be able to fully evaluate the most influential anime of the past decade for another 5 years or so. "Most influential anime from 00-09" would be much easier to discuss.

Until then, the best answer I can probably give is Attack on Titan given how many series have tried to ape the format and tone.

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The problem with mentions like OPM, Jojo and even AoT (which also achieved huge domestic popularity) is that the West is still almost completely irrelevant to the production of an anime. SAO, whether it is the novel or the anime actively influenced a ridiculous amount of production committees into chasing whatever trends it was setting.

Now the one thing I can definitely give Attack on Titan is it's role in influencing the boom of legal anime streaming.

As much as an impact SAO had on the anime community specifically, AOT was the first series since Naruto to be frank that managed to achieve Non-Anime Fans acknowledgent and it definitely got more and more people subscribing to Crunchyroll and, as a side effect, which in turn pushed a lot of how anime streaming has become today. And then of course you have other series like SAO II, One Punch Man, Erased, MHA, Re:Zero and Yuri on Ice that kept that momentum going.

Last edited:

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The idol stuff was already in the air by the time Love Live rolled around, and honestly, most of the idol stuff which followed it - even the nerd stuff - tends to channel the children's idol anime like Aikatsu or PriPara more than they do Love Live. Whilst there no denying the huge popularity of Love Live, I don't think it's actually that directly influential on anything outside of Bushiroad channeling some of the lessons learnt into Bang Dream.

I'm not talking about influence in terms of idol stuff. Love Live's biggest contribution was proving the viability of mobile gaming as a core pillar of large cross-media animation projects and led the way to stuff like Granblue Fantasy, Azur Lane, Kemono Friends (though that one is something of a special case), Magia Record, and of course the Big Kahuna of them all, the omnipresent F/GO.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
We all know it's SAO in terms of popularity and setting genre trends, but maybe there are some more interesting answers.

How about A Place Further than the Universe? That show inspired a bunch of people to change their real lives in meaningful ways. I saw a bunch of youtube videos popping up with people deciding to go on vacation, get out of their comfort zones, be spontaneous, and live their lives to the fullest. I would call that influential.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
We won't know how influential anime released in the past few years will be yet lol. The only answers that can make sense right now must come from the first few years of the decade which had time to actually influence. So the answer has to be SAO.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Since you didn't specify that the anime had to start in the last decade it's probably Dragon Ball Z or One Piece.