• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Total War: Warhammer - I expected it to be good as a huge fan of Total War games, but I didn't expect how awesome monster units and magic spells would be. TW:WH 1 and 2 have become my favorite entries in one of my top 3 favorite series, and I can't wait for WH3.

Fallout: New Vegas - Absolutely loved the original Fallout games, Fallout 2 is still probably my favorite game of all time. Despite that I still appreciated Bethesda's take on Fallout 3 even though it wasn't really the same, and I expected NV to be a similar but lesser version of Fallout 3. Instead it was (IMO) The best RPG of the past 15 years.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Huge fan of the original and was looking forward to RDR2 but didn't think they could possibly create a protagonist that could match John Marston. Instead, they created probably the greatest protagonist in all of gaming with Arthur Morgan.

Spider-Man - As an Xbox and PC fan who has never owned a Playstation in my life, when I saw the first reveal of Spider-Man for PS4 (as a big fan of Spider-Man comics) I said "Damn, is this the game that's finally going to get me to buy a Playstation?" After a few more videos I decided that yes, this game looks like it's worth spending hundreds of dollars to but a PS4 pro (bought the God of War edition, enjoyed that game too but I didn't really have any hype for it). When Spider-Man came out, it was everything I hoped and more.

Mass Effect 2 - I loved the first one and the launch trailer was probably the hardest I've cried any trailer, movie or game, ever. Not only was the game more fun to play than the first, but the characters were the best I've ever seen in a game. I ended up playing ME2 all the way through 6 times, one playthrough for every class.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The Witcher 3

Loved the second one and was expecting greatness for 3 but I just wasn't prepared for how amazing it was.

My current GOAT.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3.

And to think after the delay, I was a little concerned. My expectations even then were very high for a follow-up to The Witcher 2...

And now it's an all-time great personally and universally. How about that!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uncharted 2. The first game was solid, but not incredible or classic tier, but everything we saw of UC2 in the run up to the release just looked mind-blowing. Like a huge step up, with a level of set piece bombast and adventure I'd not really seen before. Then the game finally released and simply blew me away. It's a game I've completed over and over again, it's that good. I just feel it's the perfect paced, globe trotting, fun filled, amazing adventure.

God of War (2018). Again, I thought the other games in the franchise (bar Ascenion) were incredible, but they never quite reached all time great status for me. In the run up to release this new title looked like it could offer something deeper, more layered and more complex, from the combat right through to the story and premise, and that's exactly what it delivered, in spades. I was expecting the game to be amazing, but not as mechanically sophisticated or classic all time tier as it was.

Last edited:

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I distinctly remember being incredibly excited about Deus Ex Human Revolution. I'd only played through Deus Ex Invisible War, but I remember seeing this trailer when it was shown:

And almost everything appealed to me about it: the unique near-sci-fi approach, the aesthetic, the appeal of a Deus Ex game with modern mechanics. It was all just wonderful-looking. I remember poring over magazines for every detail they released. I remember going out of my way to buy the special edition.

Then I got it. And I loved the holy heck out of it. The story was compelling the mechanics were wonderful and expansive. The world was simply incredible. It's my favorite in the series (after now playing through all the games) and one of my favorite games of all time.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
The Shadow of the Colossus - Bosses have always been my favourite part of gaming because of the scale and fear that comes with dealing with something so big and menacing looking, so when I heard there was a game coming out based soley around fighting bosses I was pretty excited. I had played Ico and wasn't really a huge fan but definitely felt the feels and knew it came from a good place, but getting my hands on the final version of The Shadow of the Colossus completely blew me away. I hadn't prepared for the colossi to be so big and well designed nor had I fathomed I would be exploring the most mysterious and beautiful world in all gaming. Add to this the amazing music, heart felt and extremely deep story and characters (who knew I could care about a dead girl which had at no point ever been alive and a virtual horse which I shed a tear for) and I was just transported away to another world for 2 weeks of my life. I have no doubt it will forever be my favourite game and gaming memory.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild, was basically looking forward to "Zelda U" for the entirety of the Wii U's life, was extra exciting as it was the first mainline Zelda release where I had actually been plugged into the gaming community and paying attention to stuff like E3. Exceeded my already lofty expectations by quite a bit. I remember the day before review day just thinking "oh no... what if it's awful and this thing I've been looking forward to for years just kinda sucks..." luckily that didn't happen lol.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Weirdly, it's a game that initially horribly failed to meet my expectations, but then later blew them away: Dragon's Dogma. Was really excited for the game prior to release, but I thought the demo was absolutely awful for so many reasons. It put me off entirely. Saw some random gifs on the other forum that was showing off all of the spells I had no idea where in the game a few months later and the rest is history.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Either RE7 or REmake 2, can't decide exactly which is first.

I've waited for 2's reimagination for a while, but 7 literally brought me back to the franchise and reached an incredible peak by its reveal at E3.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Most recent one for me was Resident Evil 2 Remake. Never been as excited for a game as I was with that one. 20+ full playthroughs later and it's still the only game I want to play until DMC5 drops on Friday.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
Probably Resident Evil 5 after coming off of RE4 and I remember the initial speculation based on the first teaser was that traditional zombies and enemies would be back. I didn't find the game terrible but I also wasn't in a rush to complete it.

Oct 25, 2017
I basically ran through all of Vienna desperately trying to find a Switch on launch day and got lucky because some guy pre-ordered 2 and was selling his second on at retail price, and then I was running around again trying to find a copy of Breath of the Wild until I gave up and bought the game digitally. I didn't plan on buying a Switch but that game just looked so fucking good.
It was worth it

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
Demon's Souls.

Most of my hype was from word of mouth. I had no idea what I was getting into but I kept hearing the game was fresh and incredible so I gave it a shot.

It's one of my favorites of all time.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Witcher 3.

I'm a huge fan of Witcher 1 and 2, so I was incredibly hyped for Witcher 3. And boy this game delivered.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I don't think I've never been so hyped as I was with FF7. After playing FF6 and Chrono Trigger, I expected something great. Used to buy every magazine, foreign or otherwise, and read some articles out loud while, *cringe*, recording my own voice so I could listen to the article later. I was a dumb kid, but the game turned out great so I felt the hype was justified in retrospect.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
San Andreas is still the most hyped I've ever been for a game release

San Andreas is still my favorite game of all time

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
I'll go with BoTW, I was waiting for the best game one earth and that's been well delivered

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
MGS4

My hype was through the roof, I bought a PS3 and loved it. Looking back on it, it has plenty of flaws but I was enthralled by the game.

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5. Had collector's edition ordered, but bought it day 1 digitally, so I could start playing sooner. Was exactly what I hoped for: a bit more serious story and a lot of QoL improvements.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I've ever been hyped for a game and then had it meet my expectations in every way.

But NieR Automata came close- I thought it might end up being my favorite game of all time, and it's my favorite game of the generation, so...

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
GoW, BOTW, HZD, Persona 5, NiER:A, YS8, SMO, lots of others I am forgetting. zi am glad far more delivered than not

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Bloodborne. So much so that me and a few friends all got together the morning after the midnight release of the game, set up three tv's in my room, and all played it separately while talking with each other about it and recorded part of it just to have something to capture the hype we were all feeling in that moment... Never had a game hit quite the same since, though Persona 5 definitely came close.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had such lofty expectations for BotW that I just knew I was setting myself up for disappointment. And then the gushing previews trickled in, followed shortly thereafter by the near unprecedented review scores. Knowing this, coupled with my concerns for the weapon degradation system and the seemingly excessive overworld... I just knew the game wouldn't be able to measure up to what I had envisioned and hoped for--it just couldn't. But yeah, it pretty much did, and in some areas exceeded those expectations.

Such a goddamn wonderful experience <3

JAYcptza

Mar 6, 2019
maybe I just have low expectations for games but Detroit Become Human would probbaly be that game. I'm sure there were other s but known I can think of off the top of my head

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Kingdom Hearts 3, Persona 5 and Spider-Man really delivered for me.

I hope DMC5 will do the same in a couple of days.

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018
Breath of the Wild
The Last of Us
Bloodborne
Witcher 3
Red Dead Redemption 2

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Learned about it, heard great things about it; it was even better than I had hoped for.

Also -- flame shield up -- Final Fantasy XII. The last act was weak, but as a whole it was amazing, and the translation might be my favorite ever.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Probably Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I was beyond hyped for Sonic 3 when it came out, and was a little disappointed initially by the length and mediocre ending compared to Sonic 2. When S&K came out, the game became way better than I ever hoped it could be.

Metroid Prime 3 is up there too though. I hadn't played Prime 2 at the time (I would eventually play it via the Trilogy), but after 1 I was so hyped for the Wii game and it delivered in spades. What it lost with the shift to a less isolated tone, it made up for with controls, graphics and plot.

I still can't believe how detailed some of the save rooms in Elysia are. I remember reading at the time that poly counts were close to PS3/Xbox360 levels, and it shows. What the Wii didn't have with fancy shaders and huge textures, it made up for in MP3 with poly counts. Bit of a tangent there, but whatever!

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne. I was hyped, but didn't expect it to knock Majora's Mask of the top spot of my favorite games ever made list.
I hope Sekiro does this next.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
RDR2.
Most anticipated game ever for me. All i expected was more of RDR1. Got something much better

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Dark Souls without doubt, closely followe dby Halo 3.

Also, getting my first X360. It was about a year after release and I'd been a huge fan of games like Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell etc on the OG Xbox.

I got the 360 and my first games were GRAW, Lost Planet and Gears of War.

It blew my fucking mind. I've never had a "next-gen" moment as much as playing those games for the first time. The graphics, the gameplay, everything felt incredibly new and exciting.