• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imspired by the other thread in regards to exceeding expecations (https://www.resetera.com/threads/mo...e-that-met-exceeded-your-expectations.103799/)

Ninja Gaiden 3 single handedly ruined hype for me for all the games. The game was a huge mess, i even bought the collector's edition for it. With NG1 and NG2 among my favourite games of all time, how could i not be hyped for 3? Even with concerning interviews i still had faith. Never again, also why i don't preorder games anymore.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Edit: here's why

Zero Escape is basically a visual novel series, and Virtue's Last Reward (ZE 2) ended on a cliffhanger, and then ZE3's development got put into hiatus before we knew anything about it.

(This was because the series bombed in Japan, and curiously enough we only got VLR because 999 did well in the west. A lot of VLR's marketing was geared towards getting the Japanese audience into the series as well- VLR had an OVA, promo telephone cards (for some reason), and a pervy flash game to promote it.)

But most importantly, it had a discernibly milder tone and atmosphere compared to 999. This comes into play later, and in fact caused its own relatively small divisions within the ZE community- some people still claim VLR was an unworthy sequel to 999 and a terrible game (and there are legitimate reasons for that, even though VLR was my favorite game for years.) Or perhaps what came to be known as the "Zero Escape fanbase" is simply the people who liked VLR enough to care about it.

Anyhoot, VLR released in 2012 to general acclaim in the west (IIRC it was Gamespot's Handheld GOTY). It ended on one hell of a cliffhanger, the sort of stuff that kept people on edge for KH3, Shenmue 3 and the like for years. Basically, you weren't confused about anything that happened in VLR proper, but a lot of character revelations and crucial plot threads were going into ZE3.

Then in February 2014 (I remember because that's the exact time I played through VLR), Zero Escape 3 was put into hiatus.

There was a fandom outcry- one as big as one from such a small fandom could be. Fan projects, photo collages sent to Uchikoshi (series writer/director), a fan movement -Operation Bluebird- that grew to around 20K people. I created a Twitter account around this time to keep up with the ZE fandom. This campaigning kept up for about a year and a half- in March 2015, Aksys (localizer) started a teaser on 4infinity.co - showing only some cryptic words hidden in the website source and the digits "0303". Obvious in retrospect (ZERO. THREE.), it sent the ZE fandom into a frenzy. Other words and clues appeared throughout weeks, then months- it was a teaser for Anime Expo 2015, which was in July (if memory serves). 0303 stood for "03 months and 03 weeks". For details on #4infinity, check the GAF thread (google it).

I'll post the Zero Escape 3 announcement video, because to this day it brings legitimate tears to my eyes:

The hype, the tension, the hilarious fuck-up that was the livestream of that panel- it's all there. The screams at 0:22 tell you all you need to know. To this day, seeing that moment get livetweeted is one of the happiest moments of my life.

I mean that.

---

The reason I tell you all this is because all this leads up to Zero Escape 3 itself- one day I'll note down all the things leading up to the game's release (Summer 2016, as teased), from the day they revealed the name and the logo to the preorder watches controversy to leaked 3DS copies of the game to the Famitsu articles mere months before release (a release, indeed, in many ways).

That unity in excitement held for a long time, at least until a week or so after the game's release.

But for many of us, ZTD was not the ZE3 we expected.

It was, as said before, no longer a visual novel- and trust me, the reason that mattered is not because we were so attached to reading. But ZTD was still a game that was made on a shoestring budget, that a lot of plot baggage to resolve, and was presumably developed in a very short time.

And yet, most likely to increase its appeal for series outsiders, now it was in full animated 3D. For a game that released on the 3DS and Vita.

With limited space and graphical capabilities. On a small budget. About a complicated, multi-layered story.

On 3DS, Zero Time Dilemma looks like this:
original.jpg

It really, really didn't work well.

Instead of VLR's 30-40 hour romp, we got a 17 hour game with far less text to it.

And it had to wrap up everything VLR spent twice its length to set up. Satisfactorily, at that.

Tall order, isn't it?

I can't be objective after this point.
--
The game handwaved just about everything it had to answer about VLR's plot. It introduced stupid, forgettable plot devices and mechanics, and since 5 of its characters were returning from previous games, its new cast didn't have enough time to develop, either.

As if to compensate for VLR's "tameness", ZTD goes off the fucking charts with gore and violence. Chainsaws, explosions, gas, other things.

Not to mention the worst plot device I've perhaps ever seen in a story like this: The 9 main characters are separated into groups of 3, half an hour into the game. For about 90% of the game, they have almost no contact with each other whatsoever. The characters almost don't develop at all, character interactions get tiring, it bores you.

The main reveals are underwhelming, certain things do not make sense, characters (both returning and new) behave erratically, music direction abuses poignant tracks from ZE1 and ZE2 to the point of ruining them.

And all of it ends on an extremely cliché note.

Uchikoshi said somewhere that he grew bored or stuck with the ZE3 narrative he had in mind and rewrote the game from scratch.

Sometimes I think about that deleted draft of ZTD and wonder what could have been.

---
For some people, the reveals were satisfactory, the characters were well developed, and the messages of the story were meaningful.

I am sincerely happy for people who think so.

But for me, it just didn't work. I burned through ZTD in three days, felt numb, and realized that I would never love the video game series that has perhaps shaped the rest of my life the same way again.

At the end of the day, only one thing made it into ZTD proper which still gets to me in the depths of my heart:
e7fddfcb42.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Street Fighter 5 had SO MUCH potential to probably one of the worst launches in game history at the time.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Assassins Creed 1, I still enjoyed it a bit, but I was beyond hyped for that world and it got kind of boring fast. I even reached a point where I was contacting artists on the team trying to figure out what material Altairs outfit was made out of so I can start leatherworking it myself...

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Whenever an anticipated game comes out and bombs, me and a friend STILL call that shit a "Brink Moment"

I think if I had to pick one release that I pinned all my hopes and dreams on and completely letting me down, I'd have to go with Lair.

I had such high hopes for Lair....what the flying fuck happened

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not the most, but one of the most recent: MGS5. All of the reviews saying it was a 10/10 game did NOT help, in fact it actually made me detest review scores, and mostly ignore reviews going forward since.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Destiny. I kinda did and didn't get my expectations get all out of whack.

Bungie? Check.
Sci-fi? Check.
FPS? Check.
MMO (even if it is an MMO-lite) for console? Check.
$500 million budget (even though half or more was for marketing)? Check.

It sounded like my dream game, especially back then since I still tried to get into MMOs and felt this could finally be the one.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5's campaign. Multiplayer was great and I enjoyed my time with it but that campaign was horrible. To this day it's the only Halo campaign I've not revisited yet. I might though 1: if it comes to PC or 2: leading up to Halo Infinite's launch.

Deleted member 22405

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I bought a 600$ PS3 (plus tax) for MGS4. It was okay.

I could not buy the game. I had to borrow it from a friend. Why? Well, because a 600$ PS3 is a fucking hole in your wallet.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Prototype
the first game I bought for my Ps3
I was so hyped seeing the videos, but the IA is so dumb that I started to hate the game

I was using my ps2 at the time, Prototype seemed to me that the next generation was amazing with more types of "GTA's" to play

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta be Mass Effect: Andromeda. Mass Effect 3 has the worse ending, but the game itself is better than Andromeda by quite a bit.

At its release, Andromeda was a bug-filled mess with a story that failed to interest.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Although the game isn't a totally wreck (the graphics are pretty, the music is excellent, and the combat system is interesting although it doesn't let you fully play with it until far too late in the game), Final Fantasy 13 is the only game I stayed up and picked up at a midnight release and it was quite the letdown. Before FF13, buying every main non-MMORPG Final Fantasy was a given for me. Now? I pick and chose. I still haven't played FF15.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
Fallout 76. That fucking hurt. I was so excited to run around the state I grew up in a aaaaand then the game came out. Ouch.

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
Three games: Tomb Raider (reboot), Max Payne 3, Hitman: Absolution.

Oh yeah baby, new gen, HD graphics, story seems cool, gameplay systems in place, let's go gimme every... oh. Hmmm... so uh... is that it?
Ok I guess. I guess they are ok.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Hmm Nioh I guess? Soulsborne games are my favorites of all time so I was pretty excited for Nioh. After playing it I think it's a pretty terrible video game. Oblivion also comes to mind.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Mario64 was the first game that I can remember being tangibly disappointed about. Super Mario World was one of my top 10 games ever, and 64 just seemed worse in almost every way after I got over how good it looked for the time.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
basically games from when I was younger, before the internet. So I'd buy games blind with the money I saved and they would suck so hard lmao.
edit- Games like Jaws and such were all kinds of awful

Optimus Lime

Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2.

I liked the first one, but the second one is so sluggish and slow paced. I'm really struggling to finish it, and the online is utterly horrible.

Oct 28, 2017
Easily Final Fantasy 12 personally, but not because it's a bad game and more because it showed me that WOW basically killed the concept of my favorite game genre (turn based JRPG) at a AAA level.

I still have that metal box special edition somewhere I think.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem: Fates, for me. Its trailers were mostly great, and its narrative premise had the potential to be impressive. Few games have split campaigns or let you play on the "bad" side, and Fates promised both.

Unfortunately, it ended up having the worst writing I've ever seen in a fictional work — no exaggeration. The story's only half-enjoyable taken as a comedy.

BigBluePig

Jul 5, 2018
The Legend of Zelda, Twilight Princess and Super Smash Bros. Brawl were my two biggest gaming disappointments.

HyperCroutons

May 25, 2018
New York
Resident Evil 5, I even got a 360 for it ( also for Oblivion but that didn't disappoint me) but RE5 was a step down from 4 although the co-op could be fun to play.

Also LOZ Skyward Sword, hated the motion controls just never felt right for me.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the times was Sonic Colors. I was mega hyped for that one thinking it was gonna be a great Sonic game. No it was some weird Mario game and has a lot of questionable design decisions like double jump and the pacing of the levels is mindnumbingly slow. Another thing I don't care for is that it's like 90% 2D Sonic and some levels are just a pain with cheap stuff. Felt like a dif game not a Sonic game to me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword for sure.

Also, for a more controversial statement, Super Mario Odyssey. I still like the game and I still beat it, but it's such a huge step down for me compared to my beloved SMG 1&2 I can't help but feel disappointed by it.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Mass Effect Andromeda.

Although my hype died after E3'16 when it became clear the game wouldn't deliver. From there until the release it was basically waiting for the blow to hit. It still managed to be way worse than I thought.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, BOTW. The trailer made it look like the supporting characters had significant roles and there was going to be this big overarching story with production values and voice acting (there was some voice acting but it was mostly awful). The game was just so different to what I expected, and I get why people love it but I just felt kind of empty playing that one. Probably has a lot to do with how depressed and sick I am every single day, but I can usually still tell what I would have enjoyed.

also smash brothers brawl wasnt a full on disaster but it was kind of a weeklong slide into yeah ok, maybe lets go back to melee

Nvm, forgot Brawl existed. Its this.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
1st for me is very easily Resident Evil 6. RE has been my fave series right from the 1st game and I loved all (even RE5). 6 however seemed like it was made by another company with a completely different approach altogether, it had nothing to do with horror, the bosses were absolute rubbish and looked like shit, the cutscenes were headache inducing....uGh just so much stuff was wrong. A real sad moment in my gaming life as not only was my fave series ruined but around that time Capcom were making a few stinkers so I thought my fave developer was also going to shit. They've obviously turned it around since but damn I hate RE6 so much.

2nd would be Destiny. It was going to be my 1st looter shooter and coming from Bungie I was expecting great things. Not only was it a fraction of the game that was promised it actually ended up turning me off pre-orders and making too many game purchases in general, so a real wake up moment for me and actually has ended up saving me money so a positive in the end but for all the wrong reasons.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda.

Also I feel like I dodged a bullet with Anthem (which was my most anticipated title this year...).