• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
Tales of Eternia, which was localized as Tales of Destiny 2 on the ps1 had horrible VA.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
In terms of Japanese to English localization, Fate/Grand Order is abhorrent, at least as far as I've gotten in the story. It detracts a lot from the original script, which is actually quite funny and enjoyable.

I guess Arc Rise Fantasia is the worst I've encountered in terms of VA.

Edit: I just remembered that one of the early Bamco localization efforts for the Brazilian market (Naruto UNS 2, I think?) actually used internet slang and IM abbreviations instead of proper Portuguese. That was bizarre.
It was Naruto UNS3, and they repeated it in Revolution and then in the Full Burst edition of Storm 3. I remember clearly that because that was the moment that I said 'fuck' and started playing everything in English.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Fire Emblem: Fates, and overall I was disappointed with the whole localization of these games.
UKXDkTO.jpg
I'm not gonna lie...I prefer the english localization here, it's fucking hilarious.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Awful lot of mentions of NISA stuff in here. Considering how many of their games I've gone through, I don't find them terrible and usually more than just serviceable. This reeks of demonizing them for a few games of their catalog being average or subpar (or in the case of Ys, just plain pissing off a fanbase, which they fixed and apologized for).

I mean, I'm one of the few who loves Megaman X6, but the localization we got was all sorts of jacked up on the PS1. I'm still convinced the songs were left in Japanese by accident because they were rushing the game out the door.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment (original Vita version) was as bad as it gets.

I will point out, though, that the PS4 reissue of the game (RE: Hollow Fragment) was re-translated and now perfectly fine.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
29ac0c607ba87adfbcbb06307970f26a.jpg

Breath of Fire III - Wrong directions in the german version of the game.
Impossible to advance without knowing the right directions (east/Osten).

Type422

Nov 28, 2017

It got patched, but at release the German translation of Salt and Sanctuary was a mess xD

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Fire Emblem: Fates, and overall I was disappointed with the whole localization of these games.
UKXDkTO.jpg

Never played Fates, but I often see people excuse this because "Well I think it's funny!" but to me a change like that is never acceptable. I want to get an experience as close to the original version as possible, for better or worse. I know some times that can be hard and maybe not even possible, but I don't think I could ever consider it acceptable to erase whole paragraphs worth of dialogue for a cheap laugh. If they want to include an alternate abridged script or something, that could actually be cool, but to edit the original script to that degree is completely unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
The PS1 Suikoden games, as amazing as they are, have an embarrassing localisation-job. Typos, lines clearly translated without knowing the context of the line, non-stop ellipses, forgot to translate some bits, plainly telling the player incorrect information, and they even introduced numerous new bugs in the games by trying to stumble their way into the English releases. They even went the extra mile in their sloppiness and mistook dev notes for part of the script, resulting in characters saying stuff like "After returning from the village".

rVXtonV.png

aw2mf.png

220px-Arf_wii.jpg

I think I remember reading somewhere that the voice actors for this game were complete newbies who basically learned how to voice act on the job, and they got slowly better over time, so much of the game's regular dialogue is pretty poor until very late parts, and the battle lines are better in comparison as they were recorded last compared to the rest of the game.

"Overall, the voice acting I would say is on par, but maybe not the level of a Final Fantasy or a really high budget localization."

The PS1 Suikoden games, as amazing as they are, have an embarrassing localisation-job. Typos, lines clearly translated without knowing the context of the line, non-stop ellipses, forgot to translate some bits, plainly telling the player incorrect information, and they even introduced numerous new bugs in the games by trying to stumble their way into the English releases. They even went the extra mile in their sloppiness and mistook dev notes for part of the script, resulting in characters saying stuff like "After returning from the village".

rVXtonV.png

aw2mf.png

For having no context for lines, no indication who was speaking, a cracked file system, and a hard deadline, I think they did pretty great, actually. ^_^

Last edited:

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Lux Pain on the DS - Picture this, it's an extremely convoluted Japanese Adventure game that had a dub with different lines (sometimes entirely) from what was displayed in the actual game. As well as the adventure game portions with the words supposed to show the inner thoughts of the people in the game making little to no sense (and characters personalities changing on a dime). Weirdly worded text often lead to making the game even more confusing (and even in Japanese, apparently this game was very confusing to follow to begin with) so in the end up you have one of the most confusing narratives in a video game I've ever come across.

Iride

Oct 28, 2017
UKXDkTO.jpg

I've always felt this support could've gotten away with a mix of both by having the ellipses but including the original dialogue in parentheses. You get the general gist of two assassins of opposing groups working together who are connected by "fate", but you also keep the comedic aspect because outwardly it's just two people staring silently at each other and coincidentally knowing what the other is thinking.

Since Hollow Fragment was already mentioned I'd like to mention the PS1 version of Final Fantasy V had some memorable and laughable enemy names:

final-fantasy-v-y-burn-wyvern.png

gfs_50276_2_898_mid.jpg

831923959.png

Some people might argue making Faris speak like a pirate the entire time is also pretty bad, but I didn't mind it compared to translating Sarisa as Salsa.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I know literally nothing about this game except for the quality dialogue:

The problem of Shikigami no Shiro is that it's very witty and fun, but in order to know who these characters are, you need to have played other games/read short stories in the same universe.
Though even without knowing the context, it has incredibly hilarious moments (mostly anything with Fumiko). It has a lot of double meaning/passive aggressive moments, so you need an actual good translator with not only native skills in the target language, but also a witty sense of humor.

Very often, these kind of scripts end up translated as face value, without the second meaning, and make the whole thing entirely nonsensical.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All the Mario stuff in SMRPG they didn't localize like NokoNoko Shell and Chandelier-Ho always bugged me.

this was a reason why i'm not a fan of Shane Bettenhausen . he didn't even care, really glad his company is gone. imagine if he kept going after jrpgs today.

He was very vocal about it, certainly.

"ARF will assuredly be the most ambitious localization that Ignition has tackled to date, and I can guarantee that we won't allow another error-filled Lux-Pain scenario to unfold, nor will we leave the spoken dialog in Japanese with English subtitles. ARF will receive a full English localization, and we're sending a producer from our office to Japan to oversee the recording process.

I absolutely love JRPGs, and I'll do everything in my power to ensure that we handle image epoch's game with care."

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was very vocal about it, certainly.

"ARF will assuredly be the most ambitious localization that Ignition has tackled to date, and I can guarantee that we won't allow another error-filled Lux-Pain scenario to unfold, nor will we leave the spoken dialog in Japanese with English subtitles. ARF will receive a full English localization, and we're sending a producer from our office to Japan to oversee the recording process.

I absolutely love JRPGs, and I'll do everything in my power to ensure that we handle image epoch's game with care."
look how it turned out. awful