• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
I mean, even in indie circles nobody talks about Boreal Tenebrae despite it being pretty cool.

maybe because the name change, but probably not.

Oct 25, 2017
91wd5p0mC-L._SX342_.jpg

Played about six games of this tonight and I still enjoy it!
Does that still have a decent online population?

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
watch dogs legion was one I immediately thought of when seeing the thread title. It should be making the worst of lists, but I feel like people forgot it even existed.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
watch dogs legion was one I immediately thought of when seeing the thread title. It should be making the worst of lists, but I feel like people forgot it even existed.
Doesn't help that Ubisoft released 2 other open world action adventure games in the exact same release window lol

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Does that still have a decent online population?

Yeah! I've been playing it for the last couple of nights to try and get some more trophies and it's about 60 seconds to wait for a match. Decent split of PC and PlayStation players.

Only needs five people for a match so don't foresee huge problems any time soon.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
ExTG was made by a different developer anyway.

And I bought it so whatever. I don't care for the perspective of the original game but I was willing to try a sidescroller.

Sep 28, 2019
Tbh, the only reason Sony cared so much about indies was to have some filler stuff to prop up their lineup while they were waiting for the heavy hitters their fanbase was waiting for.

What three games were ignored? The only one there that I could say has been ignored is Dreams, and that's, like I've said, because it would have been a hard sell on any non-PC platform.
In the end I feel like Dreams could of absolutely found an audience but it's PlayStation fault for sending it out to die.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
  1. Wasteland 3
  2. Trails of Cold Steel 4
  3. 13 Sentinels
  4. Darksiders Genesis
  5. Gears Tactics
  6. Granblue Fantasy Versus
  7. Tell Me Why
  8. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2
  9. Desperados 3
  10. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
  11. Battletoads
  12. Spiritfarer
  13. Minecraft Dungeons
  14. Bleeding Edge
  15. Gato Roboto
  16. Streets of Rage 4
  17. West of Dead
  18. Grounded
  19. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
  20. Kentucky Route Zero
  21. Carrion
  22. Tony Hawk 1 + 2
  23. Hotshot Racing
  24. Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
  25. Journey to the Savage Planet
  26. Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late [cl-r]
  27. Hyrule Warriors
  28. Nioh 2
  29. Trials of Mana
  30. Deliver Us the Moon
  31. Maid of Sker
  32. Descenders
  33. Torchlight 3
  34. Little Hope
I don't think you know what forgotten means

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
Aw I spent a month playing Bleeding Edge and even I forgot about it. They tried supporting it with new maps and characters but the population just fizzled out.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I thought I'd see fenyx rising on this inevitable thread but good word of mouth combined with cyberpunk bumbling out the gate and some nice discounts may have saved the game

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Shantae and the Seven Sirens didn't make much of a splash.

Shantae-Name-Announcement_900.png

Maybe this was just one entry too many?

Edit: actually, nvm, looks like it was released in parts in 2019. But then again, it didn't get much attention last year either.

May 10, 2019
I mean, even in indie circles nobody talks about Boreal Tenebrae despite it being pretty cool.

maybe because the name change, but probably not.

I'm playing it right now after finally noticing it in my itch backlog, SUPER IMPRESSED, even though I just had to update to the x64 version since the itch client installed the older buggy 32-bit build.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Oh boy I got some forgotten games that'll actually rank rather highly on my personal top games of the year. I'll definitely echo games like Murder by Numbers and XCOM Chimera Squad, but I want to talk about these 2 games here:

Cook-Serve-Delicious-3.jpg

The 3rd and arguably the best entry in the CSD series. Its a game that takes the CSD games on the road where rather than serving food in a timed shift, you cook and serve food before or at a stop where a set number of hungry customers will want their food ready to eat. You even have rival food trucks try too mess up your orders by attacking you in between stops. This game got a little bit of attention when it launched in Early Access and it did release on all systems in October. While it garnished a few reviews (some of which were very glowing) it didn't grab the attention of many major gaming outlets. On one hand the CSD series has never been an indie series that's as popular as Shovel Knight, Undertale or any other major Indie game franchise, but its a shame this game flew under the radar because its an incredibly addicting game with a great sense of progression. Its also a game that got me more educated about food from around the world (I never heard of foods like Ayam Goreng or Khachapuri before playing this) and even inspired me to cook some of the food featured in the game too. Also the OST slaps, which is done by Jonathon Geer who you may know from Owlboy fame.

header.jpg

Them's Fightin' Herds, like CSD3, was in early access before reaching its 1.0 state this year. However, its been in Early Access since 2018 and now it got to its 1.0 state after getting its 1st Story Mode chapter playable in April (w/ more to come in the future). This game almost had its big moment this year when it was gonna be one of the 4 games in the main stage for EVO online. But EVO Online got cancelled because of the sexual harassment and pedophila allegations towards former EVO CEO Mr. Wizard (which he confessed via twitter) and Mane6 (TFH devs) were one of many devs to step down from the event before the cancellation. Though sadly ever since the cancellation of EVO, TFH hasn't had a player based that peaked since then and people seem to forget it was in fact a 2020 1.0 fighting game (Freaking One Punch Man got a best fighting game nomination over TFH at TGA). Still, this is one of the greatest fighting games to play online (also just frankly a great online multiplayer experience period) and it has one of the greatest tutorials in a fighting game period, breaking down key FG components that even novices could understand.
Is it ever coming to consoles? I want to play it
Edit: talking about TFH

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
In the end I feel like Dreams could of absolutely found an audience but it's PlayStation fault for sending it out to die.

I'll give Sony the benefit of the doubt here, as it would be hard to market something like Dreams on any console platform. Dreams isn't a game in the traditional sense, but a development suite/software kit with a short, bolted-on story mode, so how would it be marketed? 'You can spend 4 hours playing our SP campaign, and 400 hours making your own campaign'? It's the kind of thing that would have been more at home on PC than on console. Hats off to MM for making an impressive piece of software, but I'm not really sure what Sony were expecting of it.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yakuza: Like a Dragon and Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot were released one day apart back in January, during the before-times. People are still talking about Yakuza. Kakarot? It came and went.

May 5, 2018
Is it ever coming to consoles? I want to play it
Edit: talking about TFH
I originally wanted to get TFH on Switch and wait it out, but decided to buy the game on the steam Summer Sale. Sadly I don't know if console versions are in the cards yet since I don't know if the team has access to the devkits for those consoles. But TFH is planned to come out on Mac and Linux if either of those are you OS of choice.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Tbh I don't even know why Sony allowed them to work on Dreams for all those years and just kept pouring money into it. Did nobody in Sony's upper management ever sit down and think 'you know, a game development software with a single player campaign part bolted on... that might be a hard sell to our audience?'

I suspect MM will either be closed down or sold off years before they reach the end of that 10 year plan for Dreams.
I think Sony see it as a mixture of prestige and not being afraid to experiment. It may have led to a huge success, it may have led to other more experimental projects.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony see it as a mixture of prestige and not being afraid to experiment. It may have led to a huge success, it may have led to other more experimental projects.

Yeah, it's the kind of prestige project like TLG that Sony used to fund. But I suspect we'll see few of those under Jim Ryan's leadership. Sony doesn't seem like they want to throw a ton of money at stuff like that anymore.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
Some of these suggestions are just SP games that were pretty successful. Why would people still be constantly and actively talking about them months after release? I loved HL:Alyx but have not talked about it with anyone in a long time. I didn't forget about it but there nothing new to bring up besides the occasional workshop mod.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Lithium City is a really stylish action game that's been compared to Hotline Miami and hardly anyone bought it. Very fun 2 hours (with some more free content scheduled to come out later).

World of Horror sold decently on Steam (and was also on Game Pass), but hasn't been talked about much for such an amazing game. I'm hoping that when it leaves early access, it'll win a bunch of awards.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
What are those comments about Tearaway??

If you say something bad about that game you either did not have a vita (shame on you) or have bad taste

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Coming back to this thread to say it's actually Hylics 2.

I actually remembered Boreal Tenebrae ahead of it, which I find astounding because Hylics 2 was awesome.

ost definitely top 5

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Serious Sam 4
capsule_616x353.jpg

For a game that has 72 reviews on Metacritic, I sure didn't hear much about it.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

If you say something bad about that game you either did not have a vita (shame on you) or have bad taste

The platforming didn't really pick up at all until the very last sequence. Also, the narrator makes the narratives of my preschooler's TV shows seem like Metal Gear Solid in comparison.

It's not actively BAD in my opinion. I just don't think it stands out at all. As a Nintendo fan, the last thing I am is a "teh kiddie trash" kind of person, but I think Tearaway is a game that primarily very small kids would have the best time with. I don't say that as an insult to the game, it's just how I felt after playing through it.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
World of Horror sold decently on Steam (and was also on Game Pass), but hasn't been talked about much for such an amazing game. I'm hoping that when it leaves early access, it'll win a bunch of awards.

i think world of horror got enough talk
the updates for it are being really minor, i'm afraid. not much to talk when you come back to it months later and theres like, one new short case and a couple of bugfixes. and i'm not blaming the dev or asking for more (afaik its a really small team), just sayin' why it aint being talked more after the big boom when it released the demo and then "released" . Plenty of youtubers covering, some major names even. Thankfully it was fine, cause it's a real interesting game.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The platforming didn't really pick up at all until the very last sequence. Also, the narrator makes the narratives of my preschooler's TV shows seem like Metal Gear Solid in comparison.

It's not actively BAD in my opinion. I just don't think it stands out at all. As a Nintendo fan, the last thing I am is a "teh kiddie trash" kind of person, but I think Tearaway is a game that primarily very small kids would have the best time with. I don't say that as an insult to the game, it's just how I felt after playing through it.
Goddamn, this gave me a chuckle.

As someone who likes Tearaway, especially the Vita version, it is a game that's rather shall we say cloying.
And this is basically a recurring trend in Media Molecule's games, even when LBP is farmed out to other devs it retains this "almost charming but actually kinda suffocating" vibe, even in Sumo's Sackboy game I'm playing through it's like "man, I miss the grit of Yoshi's Crafted World"

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

I did play it on the Vita and didn't think it was very good. It felt like babby's first platformer. It's like someone made a game out of the night levels from Sonic Unleashed, and then, to spice it up, added the context sensitive buttons from Conker's Bad Fur Day. And then they topped it off with whimsy so cloying it was suffocating.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost always games that released in the first few months that are forgotten, so in this case it's Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, the Switch port of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Granblue Fantasy Versus, and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX.

The fact the pandemic happened globally right around the time of Animal Crossing/Doom Eternal really feels like the line in the sand.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Heard very little about Torchlight 3, despite the popularity of the first two games.
capsule_616x353.jpg

Reviews seem to be tepid, which probably explains it.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Heard very little about Torchlight 3, despite the popularity of the first two games.
capsule_616x353.jpg

Reviews seem to be tepid, which probably explains it.
I was curious about it when it came out, but a lot of the user reviews were about how it's mobile roots weren't really shed in the transition back to PC & console, and it suffered for it.

Which is kind of the same thing as Super Meat Boy Forever. Both indie darlings from a bygone era that took way too long to make a sequel. Both took an in development mobile and made that the full fledged sequel, only receive a middling to non-existent reception.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Super Meat Boy Forever:
super-meat-boy-forever-cover.cover_large.jpg

A full-fledged sequel to Super Meat Boy just came out a week ago to zero fanfare? What the fuck?

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Remember how adventure game classic Beneath a Steel Sky got a full-3D sequel in 2020?

capsule_616x353.jpg

Neither do I.