• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
You know, the games that make you go "wait, that came out this year?" or "oh yeah, I forgot that game existed". The kind of game that isn't coming up at all in the GOTY thread, or in any other end-of-year discussion, for any reason. The kind of game that left the conversation immediately after coming out.

I've got a few in mind:

Fe

maxresdefault.jpg

This was EA's centerpiece indie game at E3 2017. It was right up there on the stage and they devoted a bunch of time to it. I don' t think I've seen a single person mention it since the review thread. It seems to have been met with a shrug from critics and players alike.

Overload

Overload-Game-Banner.jpg

The long-awaited Descent successor arrived this year following a succesful Kickstarter, and received great reviews, too. However, it appears to have been a commercial bomb, to the point that I didn't even know it came out until a few months after the fact. Poor promotion, I guess?

Fear Effect Sedna

fear_Effect_sedna_cast.jpg

Wait, there's a THIRD Fear Effect game? And it came out THIS year? Don't worry, I forgot about it too.

Scribblenauts Showdown

3max.jpg

The once-mighty Scribblenauts has fallen so far that even listing it in this thread is probably giving the series' notoriety too much credit. It feels like listing Steam shovelware or something. Nevertheless, there was a fully-fledged new Scribblenauts game this year, and, well, no one gave a shit, not even Switch owners, who are presumably the main target audience. Complete and utter bomb.

List more.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
There's a game that whenever it gets mentioned I think "damn, I forgot that existed". Ironically, I can't remember which game was it.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Overload logo has almost identical font to Overwatch with the exact same color scheme. A lot of people probably wrote it off thinking it was a clone from first glance. Poor design choice to say the least.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Digimon_Story_Cyber_Sleuth_Hacker%27s_Memory.jpg

Does Hacker's Memory count? People were hyped for a proper follow-up to Cyber Sleuth but when it was revealed that it is some sort of midquel, it fell off everyone's radar.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it, but I read a lot of good things about Swery's The Missing, which may have been overlooked what with all the bigger titles that released around it.

rhUukYq.jpg

It's out on PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Unravel Two

maxresdefault.jpg

I legit thought this was coming out next year. However, EA apparently released it during their E3 2018 press conference. I don't even remember that happening, and I freakin' WATCHED that conference. I assume this game bombed, then.

EraldoCoil

Oct 28, 2017
Cali
Wait....there was a new Fear Effect!?!?! Wtf I didnt even hear about it! Imma go get that shit right now! Thanks OP!

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I haven't played it, but I read a lot of good things about Swery's The Missing, which may have been overlooked what with all the bigger titles that released around it.

rhUukYq.jpg

It's out on PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC.

I spent. All. Day. Yesterday trying to figure out what this game was. I read an article about it a while back but totally forgot the name. THANK YOU.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Survive felt like the came out ages ago, not this year.

I keep mixing it up with Umbrella Corps.

I have seen MG Survive mentioned in the context of "worst games of the year", though, and more generally as an example of "terrible spinoff games that shouldn't have been made", so not as forgotten as the others in this thread.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Overload was absolutely fantastic. I wish they had gotten the rights to call it Descent 4 because that is what it is and more people would have been interested in it.

Jul 26, 2018
Not as forgotten as the ones mentioned here but man...I feel like Ni No Kuni II should have gotten much more recognition than it did

Will also mention Moonlighter, a great indie game that sadly was overlooked. Haven't played it but Forgotton Anne was well... Forgotten. That game got great reviews and absolutely nobody seemed to give a crap.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to correct you, there was no fully-fledged new Scribblenauts game this year.

There was a shitty mini game collection cash in of the franchise and mechanics from WB made by none of the original team.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Digimon_Story_Cyber_Sleuth_Hacker%27s_Memory.jpg

Does Hacker's Memory count? People were hyped for a proper follow-up to Cyber Sleuth but when it was revealed that it is some sort of midquel, it fell off everyone's radar.
As much as I liked the first game, this one seemed kind of pointless. Set at the same time, weird and uninteresting character, mostly the same game systems and very similar locations. Always seemed to me like $20 or less buy for when backlog lightens up.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
Deep inside you know it's true, not the most forgettable but top 10, especially considering it's creators

iu

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Scribblenauts Showdown isn't a traditional Scribblenauts game, and that's why I didn't buy it.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Star Control Origins

1536690955_star_story.jpg

Holy shit, a new Star Control game!

Twenty years late, and no one cared, and I haven't seen anyone mention it since release week, but hey, it was sorta okay, even if it wasn't as good as Star Control 2, which is 26 years old at this point.

And well, that explain why no one cares about this game.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone played that Fear Effect Sedna? I want to get I since its been on psn sales frequently but I've read pretty negative reviews, which breaks my heart because I loved the first two.

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018
Scribblenauts Showdown

3max.jpg

The once-mighty Scribblenauts has fallen so far that even listing it in this thread is probably giving the series' notoriety too much credit. It feels like listing Steam shovelware or something. Nevertheless, there was a fully-fledged new Scribblenauts game this year, and, well, no one gave a shit, not even Switch owners, who are presumably the main target audience. Complete and utter bomb.
Though this one was a combjnation of lack of info, with multiplayer focus. Still saw it a few time around the top charts.

This year also saw the release of the Scribblenauts Mega Pack. So maybe Showdown performed well enough so that in 6 months the Mega Pack was announced and released.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Deep inside you know it's true, not the most forgettable but top 10, especially considering it's creators

iu
Nah people still bring it up, whether praise or condemnation. It was a divisive game among some hardcore gamers in forums like here, but otherwise it's still one of the highest rated JRPGs of the year.

...no way was Metal gear survive this year.
Wtf
lmao I completely forgot until reading this. It dropped to 20 bucks like a month after launch, so needless to say it was quickly forgotten by most.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked Dandara. It's a Metroidvania with a pretty unique traversal mechanic where you jump from wall to wall. It had some hype pre-release but wasn't super well received by the press and feels forgotten now. Will be in my top 10 when I vote for GOTY here.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Fe. Nothing mind blowing, but I enjoyed my time with it. Deserved better than to be completely forgotten.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhat ironically, I remember that Metal Gear Survive came out this year only due to the sheer amount of people I've seen say "That came out this year?!"

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I played and liked Far Cry 5, but I keep forgetting I played it this year.

Apr 21, 2018
I had a lot of fun with Starlink. It's a great game burried in a terrible toys-to-life model and overpricing. For 20-40$ I can't recommend it enough.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I hate to correct you, there was no fully-fledged new Scribblenauts game this year.

There was a shitty mini game collection cash in of the franchise and mechanics from WB made by none of the original team.
Came here to say this. Scribblenauts Showdown had as much relationship to Scribblenauts as Star Wars Kinect had to A New Hope.

I really liked Dandara. It's a Metroidvania with a pretty unique traversal mechanic where you jump from wall to wall. It had some hype pre-release but wasn't super well received by the press and feels forgotten now.
I really wanted to like Dandara, but the control scheme really works best for touchscreen -- playing it with physical controls felt like a struggle, especially when I watched other playthroughs and saw how fast and effortless everyone else was traversing the world.

Last edited:

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I don't know if people forgot or just didn't care but no one is talking about the wonderful SNK collection (most feature rich retro collection I have seen this gen) or the very good Capcom Beat Em up Bundle.