• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
20170814172535.jpg

100% No Man`s Sky
We even had an interview posted (yesterday?) about how many people still play it and are looking forward to the next update which includes VR.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
We even had an interview posted (yesterday?) about how many people still play it and are looking forward to the next update which includes VR.
Iam sure there are people playing it. But i remember the hype before it was released and then how disappointed people were with the final product. Over the years they fixed it thats good.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Last Guardian.

I played the game about a month after the release, and the OT was already a graveyard. It didn't help that the game had numerous flaws and annoyances.

Oct 25, 2017

So forgettable that it appeared in lots of best of the year so far lists recently.

https://time.com/5614583/best-video-games-2019-so-far/

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/best-games-2019-new-games

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-best-games-of-2019-so-far-ps4-switch-xbox-one-pc-24-04-2019

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2019/jun/07/best-games-of-2019-so-far-pc-console-mobile

But then again, people are listing BotW, a game with a 97 MC that is still selling well and regularly discussed.

Seems like some people confuse forgettable with "critically acclaimed games I find overrated".

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Anthem was a disaster built on actual human misery and exploitation.

It's kinda like saying "I forgot about the Titanic sinking" 🤣

Cannon_Fodder

Oct 27, 2017
Do you expect some LTTP/RTTP thread on it every month for it to be "remembered"? Ueda's titles have always been niche, but to those that love those kind of games they stick with them in their memories forever. In both the recent GOTG thread and the 2016 GOTY redux thread TLG was clearly not forgotten.
No, of course not. But I don't see it coming up in threads like "what's your favourite game this gen?" or "what game had the best art design/soundtrack/ending?" Those are places I expect it to show up--much like SotC did--but I don't personally recall seeing it.

And Ueda's titles being niche has nothing to do with it; I'm talking about it showing up in niche discussions like a Resetera thread. Besides, I don't know if you can make the niche claim when Sony made such a big deal about announcing the date after years of people clamouring for it. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's neither good enough or bad enough to have made a big impact.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I'll just stick to hype from this board and maybe neogaf. But for me it was remake of shenmue 1 and II. There was a lots of discussion leading up to it, and then practically nothing thereafter.

Some of the games named in this thread were bombs, but I don't think they were hyped or that they were forgettable. I think its harder to come up with an example that is "forgettable."

But for me its shenmue 1 and 2 remake. Because there are days/weeks/months where I literally forget that that is even a thing that happened.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
I wish people were getting warned for these dumb, low-effort posts. FFXV and Red Dead 2? Really?

My vote goes to either of this generation's Just Cause games, especially the newest one. They both came and went with no fanfare whatsoever.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Man y'all saying anthem I really don't know if you know what forgotten is... Anthem is going to go down infamously as one of the worst GaaS ever made by a world renown studio. Same goes for fallout 76 those game aren't going to be forgotten.

Now the last guardian and evolve those are two game that were hyped but are now forgotten. The only time easy a has mentioned there game of the year for 2015 was when they were sorta laughing about giving it that award. Evolve was when they were trying desperately to make it free to play. I loved revolve and never think about it. Hyped then forgotten is when you just don't think about a game no more. Hyped but disappointed is the question most of you are awnsering.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No, of course not. But I don't see it coming up in threads like "what's your favourite game this gen?" or "what game had the best art design/soundtrack/ending?" Those are places I expect it to show up--much like SotC did--but I don't personally recall seeing it.
It does show up in those threads though, the ending especially. The GOTG thread and 2016's GOTY redux thread which I pointed out had a lot of posters bringing it up/voting for it. SOTC was specifically made to appeal to a more mass audience with it's big bombastic boss battles, so yes it appears more often, it also helps that it's been part out for near 15 years at this point.

And Ueda's titles being niche has nothing to do with it; I'm talking about it showing up in niche discussions like a Resetera thread. Besides, I don't know if you can make the niche claim when Sony made such a big deal about announcing the date after years of people clamouring for it. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's neither good enough or bad enough to have made a big impact.
I most certainly can make the niche argument even with Sony starting their 2015 conference with it, it's a game that had more appeal to mass audiences as an idea because of the memes, and was a project that Yoshida had personal investment in which plays an important part here. It still didn't sell that much, and the gameplay is unappealing to most casuals.

TLG is more like Ico than it is SOTC, and Ico was rather obscure for many years before it's strong influence manifested in the industry in ways no one could have anticipated, like being what got Miyazaki to be a game developer and inspiring the Soulsbornes interconnected locations and minimalist stories. TLG is a masterpiece, and people calling it forgettable in this thread are being hyperbolic.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At lot of these games were "forgotten" because the next game on some of these lists came out. The past few years have been hot, and some games haven't had a dedicated time in the spotlight. It's been damn near rapid fire. I don't think they've been forgotten, I just think discussions have shifted faster and faster.

However, my vote is probably for

• FInal Fantasy XV
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • Last Guardian
  • Days Gone

astro

Oct 25, 2017
At lot of these games were "forgotten" because the next game on some of these lists came out. The past few years have been hot, and some games haven't had a dedicated time in the spotlight. It's been damn near rapid fire. I don't think they've been forgotten, I just think discussions have shifted faster and faster.

However, my vote is probably for

• FInal Fantasy XV
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • Last Guardian
  • Days Gone
FF15 is a very poor choice here, it's not even close to being forgettable.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Titan Fall, lmao people really tried to push a narrative with that game.

"Have YOU SEEN Titan Fall?"

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
lY7Qjtl.png

I think a lot of folks are forgetting just how insane the hype around Titanfall 1 was leading up to its release and just how quickly people moved on from it. This was supposed to be the big system-selling game that would bring some life to the Xbox One. Then after about a month, everyone moved on from it. I think it speaks to how much MS had botched the Xbox One as a platform at that point that not even an awesome game like Titanfall could do much to help it. Of course Respawn were slow to release new content, which didn't help the player population of the game either.

I wish people were getting warned for these dumb, low-effort posts. FFXV and Red Dead 2? Really?

My vote goes to either of this generation's Just Cause games, especially the newest one. They both came and went with no fanfare whatsoever.

Yep, it's ridiculous, and another example of the Era bubble. "People don't talk about X game on Era anymore" =\= "Forgettable hyped game".

In no universe does RDR2 qualify for what the OP is talking about XD

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Zelda is my favorite series of all time but the only thing I remember from BotW is building my house with the funny carpenter... and the Gerudo village. Need to replay it I think..

Not a fan of the series but KH3 came and went pretty quickly. There was some talk on the ending but for a game that was like, the second coming of Christ, it went into the great night with hardly a whimper

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda is my favorite series of all time but the only thing I remember from BotW is building my house with the funny carpenter... and the Gerudo village. Need to replay it I think..

Not a fan of the series but KH3 came and went pretty quickly. There was some talk on the ending but for a game that was like, the second coming of Christ, it went into the great night with hardly a whimper
This isn't abut a game being personally forgettable to you though, which is what many people seem to be thinking as they post.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017

Ugh or this!!!

I actually love the Just Cause series but I didn't even have time to register the new one coming out! What the hell, was it any good?

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FF15 is a very poor choice here, it's not even close to being forgettable.

I think in relation to the build up to it's release and the immense fall off fan support/general discussion is just insane. Which is why I put Last Guardian and KH3 on my list. These weren't your average hotly anticipated titles, these were games upwards to a decade in the making prior to release, and then just nothing. Even from a "I hate this game" or "I'm disappointed by it" standpoint. The amount of positive or negative discussion about these three games after release is disproportionate compared to the time they were in the oven.

Obviously it's "source: My ass". It's just my own personal observations.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Of games I was hyped for, Shadow of the Tomb Raider sure seems like it got forgotten fast (I'm still waiting for a great sale and haven't even played it yet). Days Gone and The Order: 1866 look like good candidates to me, although the fact that I remember them isn't a good sign of them being forgettable.

Final Fantasy XV is a game that I've seen way too often here. Personally, I hate that game (I think it's the worst game in the series since Final Fantasy II), but I have by no means forgotten it, and I will not forget how Square clearly released an incomplete mess any time soon. I also can't see notable flops like No Man's Sky, Anthem, and Mighty No. 9 as forgettable, as their spectacular failures each had an impression on me for various reasons (the dangers of overhyping an indie project, the flaws of Kickstarter, etc).

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Anthem qualifies. The beta the previous month had already shown what we were going to get, and sure enough, that was it and it was a disaster. And they didn't pull the plug officially like with Evolve. They're waiting for people to forget it existed. Mist have already done that.

I think it's FFXV. Even with two years of patches and content it still feels like half of the game is missing.
There were a LOT of people running with the narrative that the anthem beta was a 6 month old build of the game and that the final release was going to be much better. It was obviously bullshit but if you read the anthem beta thread its filled with naive posts about how the game wasnt going to be that bad.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its fucking single player what do you wanna talk about?

It sold over 10m and it was praised over all media journalists.

It sounds like you misunderstood the thread and put your personal disliked game.

Look at sekiro for example its been only 3 months and now no one even mentions it despite being one of the best games ever made.
I fail to see your point. It was well-received but quickly forgotten post-launch.

And just saying: A game that no one feels like talking about after completion is not exactly a good thing.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Can't agree with the FFXV and Red Dead 2 takes at all. I get those games are divisive for many here but I wouldn't call them forgettable. Even Titanfall did well enough to get a sequel.

I would say stuff like Evolve and The Order: 1886 fit the bill. Kingdom Hearts 3 had like 10 years of buildup and then seemingly came and went super fast. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was a much anticipated sequel to a stellar game and came out with little fanfare, people seemed to agree it was good but moved on pretty quickly.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There was a voting recently on era which FF game that was the worst in series. FF15 placed high. I think second.
That just means within the more enthusiast niches of our community, it is held in lower regard. I fully understand that too as it moves away from a lot of what the fanbase considers great about the series.

Outside of this, it is held in much more positive light and is not fogetable in any way. The controversy surrounding it being something of a black sheep by the hardcore fanbase only makes this more true.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I genuinely believe it's Uncharted 4. My playthrough felt more like a chore at the time and I was getting more elated by Doom 2016 and Overwatch by the end of the same month. I actually only can clearly remember the epilogue of the ending and a few sequences from within the game.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I'll go with Anthem too......EA's answer to Destiny......Bioware's A-Team.......I bet Andrew Wilson was frothing at the mouth with the monetization prospects for this game,wonder if they had a ten year plan.......LOL.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I've often thought I should just do it anyway. People conviced me the controls are botched though and that it negatively "feels like a PS2 game" whatever that means.

It's a very good game, and if you liked Ico you are sure to enjoy it (I wouldn't be so quick to recommend it to someone who has only played SotC though).

People saying Trico doesn't respond well weren't raising it right (I'm serious).

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
This generation it looks like Anthem is a good bet.
I'd like to raise the stakes and wager that Halo is probably the most "hyped" and sucky game out there. I recall people swearing about double wielding on it, like it was a unique thing but it seems most of them never played Perfect Dark on the N64. Double wielding still sucked on either platform, but it's still a funny thing to consider.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted 4 for me. The "DLC" was far more enjoyable at a fraction of the price.