• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
DMC V for me, too, when I finally finish the game I instantly uninstalled.
I really hate the second half of environment design.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This is my runner up, if only because I expected to really enjoy The Outer Worlds, versus I played Rage 2 just because it was on Xbox game pass and I was curious.

But otherwise same "it's fine" criticism.

I was really hyped for it, because I loved Rage 1,so I actually paid the full price in preorder. Not my best consumer decision this year :/

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Dude. I respect your opinion, but I straight up gasped aloud at your post.

But you know, probably one of those games where you had to be there when it launched because so many games have done it better by now... maybe.

That's what I think. I wasnt there when it launched, when it probably stood out the most. I played GoW for the first time last year, GoW2 first time this year.. and to be honest, while it was fun I do think it's a product of it's time. And not something I will ever play again which was the whole premise of the thread :P

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Definitely Metal Wolf Chaos. I totally bought into the meme when it was actually a very medicore game where all the enjoyable parts can be watched on Youtube.

Although it was nice to play a new PS2 game.

I haven't played the game yet, but all the gameplay footage I saw of the Xbox original didn't look particularly fun to play compared to the offbeat cutscenes.

Days Gone is kind of forgettable in my opinion. The story was quite interesting but it was way too long because of the terrible storytelling. Cutscenes and gameplay were seperated by loading screens, an outdated game design, that I haven't seen in years, especially not in an AAA-exclusive. Besides that, the side quests were poorly designed and repetitive as fuck, the framerate was similar to a roller coaster and the game had way too many bugs in general. It's probably Sony's worst exclusive titel from a technical standpoint. The graphics are good though.

I don't hate Days Gone, it has some cool mechanics such as fighting the hordes or always looking for some gas for your bike, which really makes you feel the survival aspect of the game but overall, it's just another open world game of average quality.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Horizon, I am late but man was that forgettable.

I won't be able to forget how Death Stranding made me lose my time however.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guacamelee 2. It was fun, but I couldn't tell you a single thing about any of the areas, bosses or plot now.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I guess Wolfenstein: Youngblood does exist. It completely killed my enthusiasm for Wolfenstein after how much I enjoyed the story and characters of The New Colossus.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm not condemning it, but I couldn't put Bloodstained down till I beat it, yet now I'm like, "oh, yeah, Bloodstained was a thing that happened, huh."

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Devil May Cry V

I finished but if you put a gun to my head I wouldn't be able to tell you what the hell happened in that game. How many boss the game had? Were the bosses good? I have no clue
This is my answer as well. I felt like I was on auto-pilot the whole time I was playing it and found very little about it to be engaging. I get that it was what a lot of the hardcore fans wanted, but it just wasn't what I was looking for.

Yoshi's Crafted World is up there, too. It's a hollow shell of what Woolly World was.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Sadly, I have to say F1 2019. They really need to step up their game over there for me to keep buying this, because the bugs they fixed in 2018 appeared again in 2019. The game did look a bit better, but some things were inexcusable. Like removing a whole multiplayer feature introduced 2 games back and one a lot of players enjoyed (Co-op online championship). The only game I regretted buying at full price.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm sorry for the people who really liked it and read through this thread, but I also have to say DMCV. The game is gorgeous, but it's just this continuous corridor with uninteresting characters (I liked Nero but I kept on being given edgy cool guy 1 and edgy emo guy 2) doing mostly uninteresting things. The combat is good, but I didn't nearly like it as much as Bayonetta, so I stopped playing somewhere close to the end when the uninteresting boss came back for what felt like the 20th time.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I hate to say it, but DMC5. It took me a long time to get through as I just didn't find it all that compelling. I think a lot of it had to do with the environments. There's only so much of a Giger-ish hellscape I can take before I want to change it up. The story was super forgettable as well.

*edit* Damn, I thought I would have been one of the only ones to say DMC5 here. I guess a lot of people felt that same way.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
I was about to say "Call of Cthulhu", then I remembered it was a 2018 game. °_°

Time flies.

Mmmmh... maybe Outward.

Oh, and Contra: Rogue Ops. But that was not just forgettable. That was bad.

Oct 31, 2017
This list is longer than I expected but: Rage 2, MarioMaker 2 (I'm surprised at this), DMCV, Astral Chain, and Remnant are all games I played for pretty long stretches and I would be hard-pressed to tell you all any real details about my experience. Although, MM2 is definitely getting revisited over the holidays with that new Zelda DLC.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Anthem was bad enough that I actually remember it. Probably one of the several mediocre Nintendo games I played this year - Team Sonic Racing, Yoshi's Crafted World, Sonic and Mario at the Olympics etc. All in one ear and out the other.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
This isn't going to be a popular opinion, but it's Control for me.

Alan Wake is one of my favourite games of all time, so it's not as though I don't enjoy the Remedy formula, but every minute of playing Control just felt like going through the motions. The combat was good, not stellar; the art design was cool, but repetitive, which really dulled its initial impact; the story and setting would have been interesting if I hadn't already spent years reading SCP entries, which Control felt like an empty rehash of. Even the character design and acting was really hit-and-miss; the good was definitely outweighed by the bad.

And man, don't get me started on how unnecessary all the sub-missions, timed alerts, materials and mods were. The game would have been far better off just giving you new service weapon forms at set intervals in the storyline. Adding all that stuff just served to make Control feel like yet another single player game puffing itself up by unnecessarily borrowing elements of RPGs and live service games.

Nothing about Control was bad, or offensive. The shooting felt nice, and the graphics were great until they outstayed their welcome. But for a game that promised such a unique aesthetic, from a developer whose storytelling and game design I normally really appreciate, I found Control really unremarkable to actually play.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
DMC 5 for sure (I need to play Pokemon Sword that seems really forgettable too). As much as I hated chapter 8 from Astral Chain, the overall experience was a good mix of unique combats and some slow sections that ranged from good to really bad, good art and music and some hype moments. DMC 5 has a really good combat system (that is an evolution over 4 and nothing more) but everything else is really bad: bad area design, forgettable story, really bad use of older characters, basic enemies are really boring... It's a good game to master and replay for sure, but it has lots of wasted potential.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Anthem was bad enough that I actually remember it. Probably one of the several mediocre Nintendo games I played this year - Team Sonic Racing, Yoshi's Crafted World, Sonic and Mario at the Olympics etc. All in one ear and out the other.
Oh yeah, Yoshi's Crafted World. I played this with my daughter and I think we've both forgotten it even existed.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Wanted to say Gears of War 4 but the campaign was so boring that I probably won't forget it that fast.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Night In the Woods for me. If it wasn't still installed on my Switch, I'd forget I even bought it.

Verder

Oct 28, 2017
MK11 for me
It was fun the week it came out for me but then after I beat the story I just dropped it and never went back. Not sure why either

Pegaknight

Dec 1, 2019
My Time at Portia is an okay life sim, but it feels so bland. Played it obsessively for a few days, realized I didn't even care and never looked back.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I second the latter statement, but for Night in the Woods. I still think back to parts of that game even though it was years since I last played it.
I do recognise its a very personal story. And in these cases, if you manage to enter the story you have a great experience, if not, you get bored, like it was my case.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
I think... Crackdown 3? I only tried it out but that seem to be one of those games that totally flew by everyone's radar just to be forgotten.

My personal one might be DMC5 though, I had fun but most of the game is totally forgettable now when I think about it.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Naahhh don't tell me Outer worlds is forgettable..

I am getting the game today (20€)..

I kinda agree with most mentions here. Rage 2 was bland with fun elements. DMC-V was just an o-k game to me (newcomer).

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

I really struggled to remember if I beat the game, I honestly couldn't even remember if I played or not or if I just heard it about it from memes and streams. But no, I seem to have the Return to the Heart of Rage achievement on my xbox, which I assume is the final mission.

The other game I really can't remember much of is Division 2. I know it took place in Washington DC but beyond that... something about missiles?

There really were a TON of "design by committee" games this year in the big budget space.

OP
OP
Tribes of Trusty
Oct 27, 2017
Each time Outer Worlds is mentionned, I begin to get really confused, until I remember there are actually two games named Outer Wilds and Outer Worlds.

I don't know what the developpers from Annapurna should've done. Maybe change the name of their game ? But it was in development for so long, I can understand not wanting to change it.

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
I never even beat Astral Chain

I think I got to chapter 11 or whatever it was right after the giant monster battle on the rooftop and heard people say it goes down hill after that and, since i was barely enjoying it anyway at that point, decided to just shelve it and immediately began forgetting i played it every few weeks
that would be chapter 7. which I would say chapter 8 is a slowdown chapter then from chapter 9 to 10 to 11 things go ham.