• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
There are games that change the paradigm of gaming industry. That change the way we play, entertain ourselves, or interact with others. Games you can't help to think about when you're not playing. Games that will etch their mark on game design for years to come. Games that will keep on haunting you even long after you saw the credits rolling.

This thread is not about these games.

It's about those games, high profile or not, where, you might have enjoyed your time with them, but once you put the controller down, you put it back in its case/deleted it from your console/PC and went doing something, never to think about it again.
It doesn't even have to be a bad game. Just a game that would qualify as a bump on the road of your life : something that distracted you for a short time but ultimately changed nothing.
A bad game/a game you thought was bad and intensely dislike doesn't count, as it technically isn't forgettable
IMHO Anthem for example definitely isn't forgettable

I'd say personally that game was Luigi's Mansion 3. Don't get me wrong, I was excited to play this, I loved LM1 when I was a teenager and liked ML2 enough to want a sequel. It's not a bad game, it's pretty competent at what it does (graphics, animation, music, etc) and it definitely cannot be defined as "boring" (even though it has some boring or downright annoying moments) and I even globally enjoyed it.

It's just that, once I beat it, I didn't feel anything special. I would be hard pressed to recount what even happened in the game or describe one moments that I liked. It was more like crossing something off a Todo list.

What about you ?

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Astral Chain. It's not terrible, but it's mediocre in every aspect except for its combat, and its combat is still thoroughly outclassed by the Bayonetta games.

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
Devil May Cry V

I finished but if you put a gun to my head I wouldn't be able to tell you what the hell happened in that game. How many boss the game had? Were the bosses good? I have no clue

OP
OP
Tribes of Trusty
Oct 27, 2017
i know opinions and all and i respect yours but if tearaway unfolded is forgettable, then i don't know what is memorable.
Different people, different strokes. This thread is bound to have outliers. The fun thing I want to see is not how some people think Death Stranding or Sekiro is forgettable, but if there are some clear winners out there.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I had completely forgotten I played the 2006 Prey during the summer when I was going thru old id engine shooters i hadnt played yet until I recently saw a tweet about someone i follow streaming it, so i guess thats my answer.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Devil May Cry V

I finished but if you put a gun to my head I wouldn't be able to tell you what the hell happened in that game. How many boss the game had? Were the bosses good? I have no clue
I enjoyed it but yeah, didn't stick with me as much as DMC3 because of the worse atmosphere, worse story and less personality-filled bosses. Didn't really feel compelled to dig into it on replays like most hardcore fans of the series do either.

Panou

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts III, Devil May Cry V and Wolfenstein: Youngblood are definitely on my list.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Probably the PS4 version of Path of Exile, which I only played in all honesty because I thought it was Pillars of Eternity, because names are hard lol.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Even with all the media coverage about how bad of a trainwreck it is ?
The only thing I can tell you about any of the missions is the terrible challenge grinding you had to do in the middle of the story just to progress. The rest is just a blur of the same thing.

But honestly, if you ask that, I don't understand the topic lol. I remember every game I play (if I didn't I couldn't answer this question!), I'm telling the one whose content evades my mind the most.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Jedi Fallen Order. Nothing about it stands out. A thoroughly mediocre affair.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I'm not sure, i can't remember what I beat this year.

edit: ghost recon wildlands, not from 2019 but I started and beat it early this year. Just went back and looked at my trophies and achievements for the year and I mostly played older games from the backlog and a few replays like Mass Effect.

OP
OP
Tribes of Trusty
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I can tell you about any of the missions is the terrible challenge grinding you had to do in the middle of the story just to progress. The rest is just a blur of the same thing.

But honestly, if you ask that, I don't understand the topic lol. I remember every game I play, I'm telling the one whose content evades my mind the most.
Well I think media coverage can influence how you think about things.

But yeah if you played it and the only thing you remember is a blur, that would qualify ha ha.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Outer Worlds probably. Just utterly fizzled out and I'm already struggling to think of much I remember about it.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Battle: Los Angeles.

I revel in playing bad games, and sometimes I do find something awesome about them (Bullet Witch comes to mind). Battle: Los Angeles just doesn't have anything to be memorable about. It's just a lazy, uninspired movie tie in that does not offer absolutely nothing to remember.

Why i remember it? Because it was hard as fuck to find and I was on a mission to play as many rare and strange FPS as possible.

I'm still looking for a copy of Battleship, the FPS, but I've since disconnected my Xbox 360 and decided to love myself a bit more.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Rage 2 by far. I sometimes forget I even played it. Really good gunplay but everything else was so bland and unremarkable.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I enjoyed it but yeah, didn't stick with me as much as DMC3 because of the worse atmosphere, worse story and less personality-filled bosses. Didn't really feel compelled to dig into it on replays like most hardcore fans of the series do either.

i like DMCV too but i gotta agree. For some reason, the atmosphere is much less memorable, the story is forgettable and for whatever reason why is the environment seems so dark? It seems as much as 40% of the game took place in dark alleys or underground sewers or other places with barely any light sources. This is in stark contrast with DMC4 which is bright throughout and even DmC which had its own unique style and color palette (crimson red).

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never even beat Astral Chain

I think I got to chapter 11 or whatever it was right after the giant monster battle on the rooftop and heard people say it goes down hill after that and, since i was barely enjoying it anyway at that point, decided to just shelve it and immediately began forgetting i played it every few weeks

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodstained. I really like metroidvanias and I fell in love with Hollow Knight last year. Bloodstained feels like a poors man copy of Castlevania. It improves nothing compared to previous Castlevania games, its unpolished, music is shit. It doesn't have a single redeeming feature. Hollow Knight showed me that this genre can be improved significantly, but Bloodstained hasn't moved on.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
between Crackdown 3 and Rage 2.

I really enjoyed both games as it goes, but they were definitely the most junk food games I played

Nov 8, 2017
ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove on PS4. Maybe it's due to being so overshadowed by the original Mega Drive game in my memory, but this game was so forgettable to me that I once asked my brother if he'd seen it, only for him to reply "Yeah, we finished it in two player last time I came over".

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Probably one of the games from Capcoms Beat em up Bundle.
I enjoyed it, but I cant even remember the names on some of them :P

Of high profile games.. probably Gears of War 2.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem, Death Stranding, Breakpoint. Saw the credits and deleted them without remembering anything worthwile about them.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
DMC V and Days Gone, the two games I didn't finish this year and probably will never touch again.

They're not terrible but they're so uninspired in different ways. I can see how DMC V is the better game but combat mechanics and cool graphics alone are not enough.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Definitely Metal Wolf Chaos. I totally bought into the meme when it was actually a very medicore game where all the enjoyable parts can be watched on Youtube.

Although it was nice to play a new PS2 game.

Oct 27, 2017
No hate, but that would be Devil May Cry 5 probably, and I can see already I'm not alone. In the same genre, Astral Chain was probably more memorable to me because of some real innovative combat mechanics, although none of them will be in my 2019 top 10.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Astral Chain for sure. I generally liked it for sure, but damn if it wasn't a forgettable experience. I'd blame the thoroughly uninspired story and non-combat stuff.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Probably Darksiders 3, it was fun enough to play through but the story was very basic and forgettable.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
The Outer Worlds.

It's... fine.

Which honestly is the worst thing to be. Not bad enough to be so-bad-it's-good, not good enough to be enjoyable.

Just there. It exists.

I wish the devs well, but I found it utterly boring.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
haven't really played many 2019 games this year, but among those definitely Gears 5
Death Stranding most memorable.