• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Hi, Doctor Doom.

fantastic-four-lg.jpg

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Oh here's a fun one. Peter Parker in the very decent Spider-Man 90's cartoon is drawn like a beefcake. He's supposedly picked on by Flash Thompson but easily looks like he could be a linebacker on the Empire State Football team.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
And this is why I loved not another teen movie

Reggie Ray (the large fella) has a goddamn tragic iMDB profile

Ron Lester (1970–2016)

When he recovered from flat-lining on the operating table Ron began to lose the weight - and his celebrity identity. 348 pounds were lost in under two years and he's had 14 plastic surgeries to tighten and remove excess skin. Now Ron has a hard time getting the roles he once won. Admits food was his 'drug of choice' to cover up pain from often being the new kid in school (he changed schools often due to discipline problems), and the death of 22 close friends and family members throughout his life.

Ron died in 2016 in Dallas, Texas, of liver and kidney failure.

Personal Quotes (1)

Am I alive? Yes. Am I happy? No. Did I throw away my career to be skinny? Yes. I wouldn't do [the surgery] again. I would much rather have died happy, rich, and kept my status and gone out on top.

Oct 26, 2017
For those who don't know, "Adaptational Attractiveness" is when a character described as not very attractive or with physical traits considered unattractive in a book/comic book get cast in the movie/TV adaptation by an actor that is very, very attractive. This is a bit unavoidable since Hollywood's beauty standard for actors is definitely above-average (to say the least). But some cases are very extreme. Tyrion in GoT is a classic example.

But I bring this up because I'm reading the The Expanse books and I haven't watched the show. I like, however, to look up the characters and who plays them in live action. So I was very surprised when the meek, small, biologist Prax was played by Terry Chen, who is, pardon the expression, a total hunk.

v1.bjsyODc4MTM7ajsxODA5MzsxMjAwOzEyMDA7OTAw

What other examples do you guys find interesting or even particularly egregious?
Funny enough, I juuuust bought book 1 today! Can't wait to jump in after loving the show. However, I didn't realize this guy was a buff hunk. The show does a great job of portraying him as this quiet, meek, nerd of a botanist.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I thought we just called this "TV ugly". Guess there's fancy words for everything.

Would Tyrion Lannister count?
Yes, and he's literally in the OP.
tumblr_m9wnnlrtiN1rea6qyo1_1280.png

First one I thought of.
755c100ad2a5d79dfd045c2252b9ed7c5d1370f1.jpeg

2989f339cc421108d886f39ee0c115d7942deda2.jpeg

Close enough.

From Mortal Engines for reference.
lmao, those are amazing.

Part of the reason why I loved Logan is how "ugly" they made Hugh Jackman look.
Logan-2017-1.jpg

LOGAN-087.png
...Nah dude that guy is still mega-attractive haha.

Reminds me of a scene in Hell on Wheels, where the protagonist, Cullen Bohannon, gets piss drunk and fights some guy and gets all bloodied and muddied and the next day he'd supposed to be a total mess, with dirty clothes, suspenders falling off, his hair and beard a mess... but he's still so damn hot that the messy look only makes him look even hotter lol

The worst for this is Ichabod Crane in Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp lol.
Why, was Ichabod supposed to be unattrac....

Irving's characters drive the story and are most memorable because of his detail in describing each. He says of Ichabod Crane (the main character), 'He was tall, but exceedingly lank, with narrow shoulders, long arms and legs, hands that dangled a mile out of his sleeves, feet that might have served for shovels, and his whole frame most loosely hung together. His head was small, and flat at top, with huge ears, large green glassy eyes and a long snipe nose, so that it looked like a weather-cock perched upon his spindle neck, to tell which way the wind blew.'
According to Irving, Ichabod looks like a goofy, old scarecrow who has escaped the cornfield.
...............LMAO

The TV version of Ichabod is even sillier than Johnny Depp then, because he's legit one of the most handsome men I've ever seen in my life
ichabod-crane-featured-1400x875-759x500.jpg

Yeah, I think this guy wins. xD

Oct 27, 2017
The film adaptation of The Help really bothered me as a fan of the novel. the protagonist is named Skeeter because her brother said she looks like a mosquito, she's almost 6 feet tall and has hair she herself describes as "pubic." She's repeatedly said to not be considered beautiful.

Here's how she looks in the film

edaf06c7f6747022da7f7a7561f73f70.jpg

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Jigsaw in Netlix's The Punisher :

The-Punisher-Comparison.jpg

those scars will ruins his sanity, poor poor guy
If he just showed up looking like that you'd say "ok, lame, but that's what they're going with". But they specifically had a long, long scene of the Punisher absolutely ruining his face at the end of Season 1, like he shouldn't even have working facial expressions from how shredded he left him, let alone a normal face.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The Potter kids were fine in the 1st two movies, then nature cast puberty on them and did it's miraculous job.

Again, puberty.

How he was in movie 1
O0Bo4lP.jpg
Not just puberty of course, they gave him those goofy false teeth and had a little wire gimmick to push his ears out to make him look more unfortunate.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
That's not really a new development.

Cinema has always been that way. When sound started being introduced to filmmaking, producers had a fit trying to find actors that looked good AND had pleasant voices/could deliver a line. A lot of the old guard couldn't deliver a line to save their lives.

But wait, I am not talking about adaptational attractiveness where characters that are supposed to be ugly are actually rather attractive instead.
i am talking about characters that do appear ugly but are played by attractive people in makeup

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I came to say Jigsaw from The Punisher Netflix series.

It was pretty disappointing when his face was revealed in S2. Nothing like you would expect him to look like considering what Frank did to him.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Brienne in the books is notably unattractive, described as having crooked teeth, a nose that has been frequently broken, a face covered in freckles, hair like straw, etc. Mockingly nicknamed "Brienne the Beauty."

Gwendoline Christie is quite attractive, with none of the above, and the main way they "uglify" her in the show is to smear some dirt on her face.
I think this applies to a lot of GoT characters. Jon describes Ygritte as pug nosed with crooked teeth and eyes which are too far apart. Also, the Hound is supposed to be monsterous to look at but in the show he just looks like a regular bloke whose mates shaved off an eyebrow for a joke.

Last edited:

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I think this applies to a lot of GoT characters. Jon describes Ygritte as pug nosed with crooked teeth and eyes which are too far apart. Also, the Hound is supposed to be nonsteroid to look at but in the show he just looks like a regular bloke whose mates shaved off an eyebrow for a joke.
Daario Naharis is one of my faves when it comes to the changes. XD

game_of_thrones_books_vs_tv_2.jpg

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
If we're talking "adaptations" of history and myth, Fate GOes so out of its way to make their characters hot that their looks and backstories barely resemble them.

King Arthur
latest

Jeanne D'Arc
Joan_Ototsugu_Konoe.png

Mordred

tenor.png

Emperor Nero

Okita Souji-oh you fucking get the point by now.

Fate is stupid taking its world and lore seriously since Apocrypha.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The main character in Holes is supposed to be an overweight kid. Shia LaBeouf definitely doesn't have that look.

Similarly, the main character in Ready Player One is also supposed to be chubby and completely hairless at some point as well.
In Holes, the main character is described as being pretty fat. It's actually used as a plot point in the book too since he can push the shovel into the ground easier.

Just some normal skinny ass Shia Labeouf in the movie

To be fair, in interviews, the director of Holes does actually bring this up. They main reason why they decided to go with a skinny actor was because the weight loss Caveman goes through over the course of the movie was too unhealthy for the amount of time shooting was done. Otherwise Holes is a fairly direct adaptation of the book. I would hope a director making sure the actor doesn't suffer for art would be better than making things 1:1 perfect to the novel.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this counts but Prince Zuko in the Avatar the Last Airbender movie has his scar dramatically toned down. Granted I know he has a rabid fangirl following both in and out of universe so it's not like the original scar was stopping them

Speaking of:
In the book of Ready Player One, Art3mis' birthmark was supposed to be this huge Domino-style mark over her face

ready-player-one.jpg

If I hadn't brought it up would you have even noticed it in this picture?

It should be bigger but it wasn't across her face. What's really different is in the book she was heavier, wide hips etc.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The movie it's 100% body dysmorphia because she's the one who regards it as some big thing. I posted a picture earlier.

In the book it's the narrator describing her, so either he's a huge asshole (he sort of is) or it's worse in the book

She hates her birthmark in the book and thinks others will to. When Wade meets her irl he finds her beautiful.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Funny enough, I juuuust bought book 1 today! Can't wait to jump in after loving the show. However, I didn't realize this guy was a buff hunk. The show does a great job of portraying him as this quiet, meek, nerd of a botanist.

I'm just about through the first book, and I can say that the show does a very good job of covering the book, or at least the first anyway. Definitely some differences regarding this thread topic though; "Belters" are supposed to be tall and lanky with somewhat oversized heads and thin fingers, from growing up in reduced gravity, which we don't really see in the show. Alex the pilot was also supposed to be kinda "chubby," which....no.

giphy.gif

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Most of the modern Arthurian movies borrow heavily from T.H. White's The Once and Future King novels. In the 3rd novel, The Ill Made Knight, Sir Lancelot is portrayed as being ugly- on screen he is always handsome. Always.

OP
OP
Squid Bunny

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Daario Naharis is one of my faves when it comes to the changes. XD

game_of_thrones_books_vs_tv_2.jpg
Show Daario number 1 embraced the character's total sleaziness. Daario number 2 was just a bland beefcake.

Still holding out on GoT Brotherhood to get true Daario.
Reggie Ray (the large fella) has a goddamn tragic iMDB profile

Ron Lester (1970–2016)
I'm really sad now.

Oct 25, 2017
Sort of the opposite, but Snow White and the Huntsman was trying to sell that Kristen Stewart's Snow White was the fairest of them all, but the entire rest of the cast was better looking.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, you know what? FUCK THAT ONE TOO. THIS IS THE THREADSTOPPER

GRENDEL'S MOTHER is the winner
beowulf-grendels-mom.jpg

Needless to say he doesn't bang her in the poem

Her appearance is never directly described in Old English. And scholar's have a lot of debates about her character. The term "aglæc-wif" is what specifically causes debate.

As for this adaptation, the screenwriters, Roger Avary and Neil Gaiman, wondered why Beowulf goes to kill Grendel's mother and comes back with Grendel's head, with no proof the mother is dead. Grendel is also half demon half man. That put the thought in their heads that Grendel'a Mother was a succubus. So Hrothgar was seduced. And so was Beowulf.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If we're talking "adaptations" of history and myth, Fate GOes so out of its way to make their characters hot that their looks and backstories barely resemble them.

King Arthur
latest

Fate is stupid taking its world and lore seriously since Apocrypha.

I think i remember that Saber was described by Rin as being muscular and not overly feminine, Yet in the show she's just as lithe and waifu bait as any of the other characters. In general it's fine i guess because she's always wearing full clothing (at least in Unlimited Blade Works)

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Her appearance is never directly described in Old English. And scholar's have a lot of debates about her character. The term "aglæc-wif" is what specifically causes debate.

As for this adaptation, the screenwriters, Roger Avary and Neil Gaiman, wondered why Beowulf goes to kill Grendel's mother and comes back with Grendel's head, with no proof the mother is dead. Grendel is also half demon half man. That put the thought in their heads that Grendel'a Mother was a succubus. So Hrothgar was seduced. And so was Beowulf.
I got why they did the change, but in general the translations seem to agree on a sort of monstrous or ugly appearance.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I got why they did the change, but in general the translations seem to agree on a sort of monstrous or ugly appearance.
Bear in mind that Angelina Jolie is clearly some kind of glamour or illusion. The film does show her true appearance reflected in the water, she looks like some kind of half-fish thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
I'm just about through the first book, and I can say that the show does a very good job of covering the book, or at least the first anyway. Definitely some differences regarding this thread topic though; "Belters" are supposed to be tall and lanky with somewhat oversized heads and thin fingers, from growing up in reduced gravity, which we don't really see in the show. Alex the pilot was also supposed to be kinda "chubby," which....no.

giphy.gif

Funny thing about alex is that they keep throwing in jokes about his weight, Bobbie especially. Like, the guy might not have a six pack (don't recall the actor ever going shirtless unlike most of the other male leads) but he is hardly out of shape. Heck, I'm not sure it's been mentioned, but the guy playing Amos is TOTALLY not what book Amos looked like in my head.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Sure it's been mentioned but She's All That is basically an entire movie based on Rachel Leigh Cook being ugly lmao

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the chick not being ugly in Ready Player One was the whole point. Does anyone in the film acknowledges that she's ugly? I thought it was just her own insecurity.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
srsly?

Scarlett in the book was HAWT.
It's the fricking very first line of the book, dude:

Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were. In her face were too sharply blended the delicate features of her mother, a Coast aristocrat of French descent, and the heavy ones of her florid Irish father. But it was an arresting face, pointed of chin, square of jaw. Her eyes were pale green without a touch of hazel, starred with bristly black lashes and slightly tilted at the ends. Above them, her thick black brows slanted upward, cutting a startling oblique line in her magnolia-white skin — that skin so prized by Southern women and so carefully guarded with bonnets, veils and mittens against hot Georgia suns.

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/m/mitchell/margaret/gone/chapter1.html

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if this counts since it maybe be the point that he isn't as ugly as he thinks he is
5289036-byrnedoom1.jpg

Oct 26, 2017

giphy.gif
Interesting. Yeah, Alex on the other hand. That guy is suave and sexy as hell. I'd be curious to know how they describe his accent in the book.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I think i remember that Saber was described by Rin as being muscular and not overly feminine, Yet in the show she's just as lithe and waifu bait as any of the other characters. In general it's fine i guess because she's always wearing full clothing (at least in Unlimited Blade Works)
She looks the same in the source material.

I've seen a lot of Japanese series say someone's beautiful, but artists never put in the to give a proper contrast between them and everyone else. Pretty much a consequence of relying on sameface.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Now granted, they really only took the name, and not the actual character, but Negasonic Teenage Warhead in her brief appearance in the X-Men comics was a gaunt blue gothic sort of woman.

170px-NTWarhead-xmen.jpg
615159-negasoncxm1.jpg

In the film she's just a conventionally pretty regular girl with light punk stylings.

YPiOgDK.jpg

While she is more or less a brand new character just with the same name, some of the earliest concept art done well before the film actually went into production or casting had a more accurate design which they eventually moved away from, but still drawn as much more pretty than the comics version

negasonic-teenage-warhead-1.jpg

negasonic-teenage-warhead-2.jpg

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this counts but Prince Zuko in the Avatar the Last Airbender movie has his scar dramatically toned down. Granted I know he has a rabid fangirl following both in and out of universe so it's not like the original scar was stopping them

Speaking of:
In the book of Ready Player One, Art3mis' birthmark was supposed to be this huge Domino-style mark over her face

ready-player-one.jpg

If I hadn't brought it up would you have even noticed it in this picture?

Lol. My friend and I were so confused in the theatre. And then they followed it up with some ass shots. It was bizarre.

OP
OP
Squid Bunny

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Funny thing about alex is that they keep throwing in jokes about his weight, Bobbie especially. Like, the guy might not have a six pack (don't recall the actor ever going shirtless unlike most of the other male leads) but he is hardly out of shape. Heck, I'm not sure it's been mentioned, but the guy playing Amos is TOTALLY not what book Amos looked like in my head.
From what I've seen of the show, Amos is much younger in the adaptation. Also has a bit of a rivalry with Holden, that isn't on the books (at least until half of Caliban's War).

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
It's the fricking very first line of the book, dude:
Huh. I read Gone With The Wind twice and completely forgot. It was the way men respond to Scarlett that I focused on.

Also, to be fair, that kind of charisma would be so difficult to get across on the screen. I could see someone like an Elizabeth Moss, Clea DuVall or Mia Wasikowska pulling it off, but they don't have Scarlett's features. To be clear, all three are attractive women in their own right, but they're not the standard Ellen-faced, doe eyed Hollywood starlets either. With the right makeup, I could see them being outshone in a room of southern belles until they opened their mouths.