• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
The Witcher 3 have fantastic chracter models , good lightning and best in class art but very bad foliage. It looked like I was traveling among cardboard boxes in plain weather

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I was crazy hyped about Watch Dogs after the first gameplay trailer. It really sucked that one of the first next gen game revealed (I think?) couldn't live up to the hype. Thankfully WD2 managed to fix many of my problem with the first game.

W3 is a tad disappointing but the game had so much content, I pretty much decided to forgive and forget.

Feb 10, 2018
Forza ms 5, 2d crowds and other downgraded effects were a disappointment. Drive club too, while at certain points it has some great lighting + effects, but when it's not raining its really ugly, I played it at a kiosk at a game shop and it some terrible aliasing + artifacts and sometimes the textures and lighting would just look unrealistic and bizzare. It's only thing that a few Sony exclusives have in common they will have lots of fancy effects which in conjunction with each other look incredible, but when looking at the game in there entirely the illusion breaks, they can be visually inconsistent.

Oh yeah and watch dogs, lol.

While overall I'm happy how spiderman turned out, some parts were upgraded in the final game, with that said though I prefer the lighting model in the E3 demo, the retail version has darker lighting which does not look as good as the E3 demo lighting.

But apart from that this gen has actually surpassed my expectations the majority of the time and being a mid gen owner I get no nasty resolution and framerate surprises.

Last edited:

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You really cant let go of WItcher 3 , OP , can you?

I can't comment on the XB1 performance because I didn't play that version, but the PS4 performance in certain spots was poor to say the least. For whatever reason they are just immune because they say the right things regarding loot boxes, DLC, etc.
You mean how they are immune to multiple articles from gaming sites and interviews about downgrade or every single month a thread about downgrade, piece of shit combat and how sexist witcher games are? Or do you mean about the crunch that it gets brought up now and again ? Maybe the fact that there was this thing about their transphobic tweets recently and mutliple articles were written and people demanded to fire the person, apologize and donate money to charity? IDK where this CDPR is untouchable comes from, since in every thread they get criticized like any other developer

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Watch Dogs is the biggest offender.

The Witcher 3 was really bad too but the game was so good we kind of got over it. But yeah, it doesnt look nearly as good as the infamous "Sword of Destiny" trailer.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Witcher 3 PC looks quite good and while there's a downgrade from the reveal it's not that severe. Watch Dogs will be king for awhile because of how disappointing it was compared to that E3 reveal. I still watch that original video on occasion and shake my head.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
not just worse, a gen behind. pretty much every game including horizon and ac oddysey, unity and origins look worse than RDR2, but it doesnt make them look ugly.

can you not see the massive gulf in quality?

I can see where a budget is spent, and I can look at what studio made it. Horizon is a first party title given as much money as they need by Sony to optimize for the hardware, Ubisoft has thousands of developers, versus a studio making their first open world game.

And I would much rather play TW3 than I would any of those games. Also TW3 I would say is one of the better looking open world games, especially if you compare to other games released around 2015, not 2019.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Witcher 3 still looked incredible so nah.

It's gotta be Watch Dogs 1.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
tlozwiiu2015.905f1115438.original.jpg

Breath of the Wild is one of my favorite games ever, but damn would this have been nice.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I would say watch dogs just because that was the 1st and I learned after that everything is in flux until the game is released.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGSV was kind of downgraded. The E3 2013 trailer looked better than the final game, even on PC. The announcement trailer for Ground Zeroes also had much better particle effects.

The game was held back by previous gen version most likely. The same thing happened to Watch Dogs.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
not just worse, a gen behind. pretty much every game including horizon and ac oddysey, unity and origins look worse than RDR2, but it doesnt make them look ugly.

can you not see the massive gulf in quality?
I mean I wont dispute the fact that HZD and RDR 2 looks far better than witcher 3. But you do realize that witcher is from 2015 multi platform title , 3rd game in total from CDPR and first time an open world and first time on current gen consoles vs
Guerilla games that been in close partnership with sony making them exclusives for ps3 and ps4 and Rockstar the biggest and most known developer on the planet with near unlimited budget and how long of a dev cycle? LIke yes, those games look better because they are not 4 years old and of the context i mentioned

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Znr64iC.gif

6qszGFR.gif

The funny thing about those 2 GIFs on the first page is that when I started playing RDR my first thought was " Woowww this looks like TW before the downgrade"

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
For me it's Witcher 3, don't get me wrong I love the game and I totally forgive the developers, but man was it a shame.

The final game still looks great but I really much prefer the E3 graphics.

Eh, Witcher 3 still looked incredible so nah.

So because it looks great it's not a downgrade anymore? That's the most stupid thing I've heard today.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 2. Dark Souls 2 was worse because we saw an entire demo in one existing game area, and when playing the same area in the final release it's easy to remember how the game was supposed to look.

Trailer downgrades are bad, but demo downgrades are basically lies and the worst kind of downgrade IMO.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
That puddle missing remind me of when the hindenburg went down. Oh, the humanity.

Zelent

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Was the Dark Souls 2 downgrade really that bad?

DS2 is my favorite Souls game, and I think it looks beautiful.
I'll have to look up some comparison images of what was originally promised.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
First current gen Ubisoft games are the prime contender for this thread. Then there is TW3. And now there is Anthem. Last gen, it was Dark Souls II.

huh? I don't know if this is a troll answer or a serious one. KZ did not look notably downgraded from trailers to launch on PS2. The PS3 version was a target render mislabeled as real time. KZSF saw no notable downgrade iirc.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls II is the only downgrade I've ever been disappointed by. I don't even care about the graphics quality. The lighting just wasn't moody enough.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Watchdogs, easily. Generally the snowdrop Ubi engine fiasco.

You look at Watch Dogs from E3 2012 and it looks gosh darn stunning. Then you see the PS4 release or even the pc release and it just looks unlit and bland.

You look at the Division showing and it looks really slick and gritty but with a certain wetness and dankness that I like. Then you see the product and it also just looks super flat and boring.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean how they are immune to multiple articles from gaming sites and interviews about downgrade or every single month a thread about downgrade, piece of shit combat and how sexist witcher games are? Or do you mean about the crunch that it gets brought up now and again ? Maybe the fact that there was this thing about their transphobic tweets recently and mutliple articles were written and people demanded to fire the person, apologize and donate money to charity? IDK where this CDPR is untouchable comes from, since in every thread they get criticized like any other developer

It comes from my observations reading this forum. I'm not sure why articles on sites such as Polygon would change my mind about how they're treated by hardcore video game fans. I mean /r/gamingcirclejerk is a thing.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Was the Dark Souls 2 downgrade really that bad?

DS2 is my favorite Souls game, and I think it looks beautiful.
I'll have to look up some comparison images of what was originally promised.
The original demo for DS2 had far, far better lighting, to the point where torches would actually needed outside of The Gutter.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
In the Witcher 3 case, CDPR created a bunch of vertical slices which ran in real time using the engine. However, once they started stitching these vertical slices together into one cohesive world, they realized there was no way they could maintain the same detail level and had to scale down a lot to get it running smoothly.
It was absolutely a total down grade, but not intentional in the same way Watchdogs or Anthem.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
It's so ironic that Left Alive is visually unpleasant to look at. Yoji Shinkawa did art for that game. How do you disservice Yoji like that?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
While Watch Dogs and CD3 were the worst, I didn't care much about them. TW3 downgrade on the other hand was disappointing since I actually gave a fuck about that game.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In the Witcher 3 case, CDPR created a bunch of vertical slices which ran in real time using the engine. However, once they started stitching these vertical slices together into one cohesive world, they realized there was no way they could maintain the same detail level and had to scale down a lot to get it running smoothly.
It was absolutely a total down grade, but not intentional in the same way Watchdogs or Anthem.
I remember reading that the original lighting model was really good but it they run into trouble when they introduced day and night cycle and different weather and started applying that model to entire land of velen, it broke the game visuals