• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Not sure confused is exactly right, but DCS flight sim does not hold your hand.

One of my friends gifted me something called X-3 Reunion on steam a few years back and I still have absolutely no clue what it even is actually.

But I think the real answer is the first time my dad and I ever tried to play Madden, on a rented Playstation. It seemed to be playing itself, which seemed really underwhelming. It actually took a customer support call for us to figure that you had to move the little controller icon over to the team you wanted to control.

Oct 31, 2017
I was in the beta(alpha?)for Fortnite before it became a Battle Royale. There were so many sub menus with npcs you could recruit for your base and others that did...other tasks and so many weird skills and stuff I was just astoundingly confused. The game as it is now is so dumbed down as to be unrecognizable.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I was in the beta(alpha?)for Fortnite before it became a Battle Royale. There were so many sub menus with npcs you could recruit for your base and others that did...other tasks and so many weird skills and stuff I was just astoundingly confused. The game as it is now is so dumbed down as to be unrecognizable.
Hey I played that build too!

I'm not sure its dumbed down so much as its an entirely different game that does not resemble whatever it was they were trying to do at that point in its evolution.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Knights in the Nightmare. I got it it cause I liked the dev but I had no clue what I was doing and that was just the tutorial.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just starting to play Destiny 2 and it is almost impenetrable. I'm getting all this inventory loot that has vague names with zero explanation of what to do with it.

If I was playing since day 1 and witnessed each new thing get introduced it would have been a different story. But coming in now it is too overwhelming.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Monster Hunter World having never played a Monster Hunter game before. There was so much shit I had to search up on Wikis because nothing was explained in-game.

Slashkice

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Kingdom Hearts 3. Admittedly I didn't play all the games since I was just burnt out on all the non-numbered entries, but even after watching a thirty minute recap video I still don't know what's going on; if anything it left me more confused.

People I vanquished in past games are back and now there's a time traveler too apparently? Any time they start talking about non-Disney stuff I'm just fucking confused.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
shadow of the colossus - was given to me as a christmas gift

literally had NO idea what I was supposed to do

took me a while to find a boss and then I didn't know i was supposed to do anything besides shoot arrows at it for 1/100th damage

dropped it so fast

Ecks

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Probably Hollow Knight. I just couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be doing at any given moment. I was never sure if I was making progress or doing something right. And I never felt like I got any good at the game.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
Hmm... The Silver Case and its sequel The 25th Ward, I suppose. Went through both games not understanding what the hell was going on in the story most of the time.

Honorable mention goes to Resonance of Fate. I tried. I really did. I just could not get the hang of the battle system.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Monster Hunter World. So many systems to learn. But it was so worth it. Still going strong at 550 hours.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
TLOU

"Wait... wasn't this supposed to be really good?"
giphy.gif

TheWill

Sep 24, 2018
Understanding Nioh's 'story'. The scenes were just a mess that never connected to one another, I was very confused.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I played Metal Gear Solid 4 before playing Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, and after playing Twin Snakes.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Understanding Nioh's 'story'. The scenes were just a mess that never connected to one another, I was very confused.

This. I can only assume it gets clearer if you already know all the historical characters in the game (Hattori Hanzo, Oda Nobunaga, etc.) and what they're doing. It doesn't help that pretty much all the missions are "clean this place of yokais" so it feels like what you're doing has nothing to do with the main story.

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ yes. My 6 year old brain could not comprehend anything on this. I -think- I eventually finished the first level? I don't think I ever understood how to use items or something.

Also, the ghost busters NES game was really confusing when I was that age as well.

I played both of those on the Sega Master System back in the day (still have my copy of Ghostbusters). The Simpsons game is hard as balls and confusing. I don't think I ever got further than the level three boss, as already at level two the game turned the difficulty to 11.

The Ghostbusters game is MUCH better and easier on the MS. The NES version is a complete shitshow in comparison. The MS version is by no means an amazing game, but it's probably the best port of it.

Kingdom Hearts. All of them. It's all just absolute nonsense.

Came to post this. Even at the end of KH1 I was confused about WTF was going on.

TLOU

"Wait... wasn't this supposed to be really good?"

My experience too. Never liked that game.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This. I can only assume it gets clearer if you already know all the historical characters in the game (Hattori Hanzo, Oda Nobunaga, etc.) and what they're doing. It doesn't help that pretty much all the missions are "clean this place of yokais" so it feels like what you're doing has nothing to do with the main story.

Because you really don't have anything to do with it. All the important actions are taken by other characters or off screen. It's telling the big climatic fight is a ressurection of someone that was dead before the story began. It's just a historical fan fiction tour. It is less interested in telling a story and more about treating these people like action figures.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Currently:
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Got completely overwhelmed with all the stuff and turned it off.
Maybe I am just tired tho, I will give it a go when Im less worked up.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wasn't the brightest 12-year-old kid, but I got to disc 4 of Final Fantasy VIII still not understanding how junctioning worked and how profoundly it impacted stats. I played through the intro just to re-do the tutorial like 5 times, then I gave up, and for the rest of the game I literally just completely randomly junctioned stuff on my characters at the time.

I knew how draw and casting worked, but I had no idea what the point of junctioning was.

I feel silly about it far in retrospect, but my idiot 12-year-old brain could not come to grips with it at all in 1999.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The most recent I can think of was Star Ocean IV. I dropped it due to that little girl character, but it wasn't going well for me anyway.
The combat just never clicked, I had no idea what I was doing or trying to do. I was doing it well somehow too! I got off the first planet with ease, even though I didn't know wtf was happening.

A lot of RPGs can do that to me, they always have their own unique combat per game (even per entry of series), never sharing anything, and use their own in-game terms for every type of mechanic. I know I sound like "old man yells at Cloud" here but I don't have time for this...
Bart vs the Space Mutants...i was 8 and didn´t know what i am supposed to do in this game. i played it 10 years later and still didn´t know, i had to look it up in a guide...

220px-Bart_vs._The_Space_Mutants_cover.jpg
Oh god.
Such terrible childhood memories, what a confusing game. I barely got anywhere and had no idea what I was supposed to be doing.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Diablo 3 and The Division 2 endgame.

Feel like I gotta use an Excel spreadsheet and grab a calculator to know what the fuck is going on.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Currently:
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Got completely overwhelmed with all the stuff and turned it off.
Maybe I am just tired tho, I will give it a go when Im less worked up.
I got the original, bought it on a Steam sale. Have no idea how the hell it works. Guess I'm just some shooty shooty bang bang kind of player. :/

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
First time I played Dark Souls.

Why is the character moving so slowly?

Why am I hitting the wall?

Why is the game so dark?

Why is everyone so depressed?

Now many years later it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance.

I understood every KH (even KH3) but I had to look up DDD's plot.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Shogi in Yakuza 0
The markers look to same-y and even with the 1-2 markers only challenge I can't win, used a guide for THAT

I knew beforehand that Brütal Legend was a RTS, but I was still unprepard for what that mean for the gameplay

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Flower Sun and Rain

I'm still not sure of what it was. Or if i did even beat it

Gulduur

Oct 28, 2017
Bart vs the Space Mutants...i was 8 and didn´t know what i am supposed to do in this game. i played it 10 years later and still didn´t know, i had to look it up in a guide...

220px-Bart_vs._The_Space_Mutants_cover.jpg
Oh wow I had this as a kid and had completely forgot... now I recall I didn't get it at all either, never got past the first level. I pretty much X-rayed the characters to see which were aliens and that's all I did.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
The first time I played Total War: Warhammer II. I'm still mostly confused about basically everything in that game, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Gulduur

Oct 28, 2017
I think this is a little off the spirit of the topic, but I did feel very confused playing this:

s-l1600.jpg

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Golgo 13, i had the game on the NES for some reason, never knew what i was supossed to do, i remember being an sniper or something line that

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I'll throw in another vote for Hollow Knight. I made the mistake of dropping the game and trying to go back. I have no clue where I'm at and where I need to go. It's like do I scrap this save and start over or do I just drop the game entirely? I want to like the game. It's a charming game but I can't tell if it's worth starting over. I guess I could stumble around until I find where I need to go.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm usually one to roll with the punches when it comes to Kingdom Hearts 3, but established important characters referencing a new, off-screen friend who had never even been hinted towards as being a major inciting factor of their backstory... That was real dumb and almost ruined the best part of the game. It then does it a few times more for good measure. It's made worse by the game ostensibly being the finale - the first two games had endings that were more conclusive. That's silly.

Also these things in Pokémon were torture as a kid:

Ice_Path_B2F.png

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Spider-Man PS4.

Those controls (mostly the fighting controls) are impossible to remember.
I've picked the game up again twice but I'm missing out on various techniques that would make my gaming life simpler.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It was FF15 for me too. I just didn't understand what was happening during battles, it made it not fun so I shelved it.