• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
They're all going to be trash. Anime and manga don't work in live action.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I'm cautiously optimistic for the Your Name adaptation. It switched directors to Lee Isaac Chung, the director of Minari. Which is of course a very different movie, but it treated the cultural sensitivities and sensibilities with the care and respect they deserve. Which also plays a huge part in Your Name.

Sep 5, 2021
When was a western adaptation of Yu Yu Hakusho announced? The only one I know of is the one from Netflix that will be made by the same responsibles as Alice in Borderland.

8c03604d43a9450483e32176635d1efa.jpeg

ab387b970e6a4bf5b02dadf40d295a20.jpeg

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
They (Hollywood) have literally pulled off nothing else. Why would they magically pull off One Piece?

Gundam, Your Name, and Promised Neverland should be relatively easy adaptations based on how grounded they are compared to the others, but they'll find a way to fuck em up.

Gundam will become a pro-war story
Promised Neverland will make S2 of the anime look like a masterpiece
Your Name will be about 2 white people doing something. Probably starring Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield

Four Vagina:
dfg1.jpg

Can't be worse than G-Savior, right?

As long as they keep the ridiculous names, we're off to a good start.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Remember how cringe Ed was in the live action Cowboy Bebop adaptation?

Well, that level of cringe will be commonplace in the live action One Piece show if they attempt a faithful adaptation.

One Piece is too fucking cartoony for a western audience to take seriously. It just doesn't work outside of animation.

Cowboy Bebop was the only anime I can think of that should have not only been easy as fuck to adapt into live-action, but also seemed tailor made to appeal to western audiences with its look and action sequences.

And yet somehow Netflix managed to fuck up it up so hard it was cancelled less than a month after its premiere. So at the moment, I have ZERO faith in any adaptation working.

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
The first scene of Luffy stretching has the potential to sink the show if it looks bad.

RIP

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Your Name will be about 2 white people doing something. Probably starring Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield
Your Name. has had some amazing pedigree behind it but is stuck in development hell (which is pretty typical for any movie to be honest). JJ Abrams is producing it. Recently Lee Isaac Chung was set to direct it but he left the project after the success of Minari opened some other doors. The most recent script was written by Emily Gordon of The Big Sick fame. Previously the story was supposed to involve a Native American girl and a boy from an undetermined race who lived in Chicago.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Gundam legit can be fantastic if handled well.
It could work!
Yeah. With a decent budget. Colonies are easy film on location places with little to no extra flair. And CG giant robot battles in space can look good on a budget (usually).

Netflix REALLY needs to up their wig budget.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah. With a decent budget. Colonies are easy film on location places with little to no extra flair. And CG giant robot battles in space can look good on a budget (usually).

Netflix REALLY needs to up their wig budget.
The issue ain't even budget on most of Netflix's stuffs!
Granted Gundam is SFX heavy even as far as SFX shows go but you could probably work with miniatures if CGI is too expensive but then again stop motion that can rival CGI would probably be far costier than just CGI.
My issue is that all nuances will be gone and they're gonna make a straight up prowar propaganda movie that goes against everything Gundam ever was about.
When was a western adaptation of Yu Yu Hakusho announced? The only one I know of is the one from Netflix that will be made by the same responsibles as Alice in Borderland.

8c03604d43a9450483e32176635d1efa.jpeg

ab387b970e6a4bf5b02dadf40d295a20.jpeg
So THAT's what's keeping Togashi busy these days!

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
Do they even got to start filming one piece, or it was suspended for the omicron?

Oct 29, 2017
Where does the idea come from that Netflix can't do an anti-war movie? Who is even making big budget pro war movies at all in this day and age?

Making Gundam anti war is like the easiest box to check, you would have to be incompetent to fuck that up. The mere fact that you have a child soldier inherently sends that message.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
There's an excellent chance that most of these titles will never see the light of day. Of the ones not yet in production I think that Gundam and Attack On Titan (as a film or TV project) have the best chance of escaping development hell.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
One Piece, even if the actors and directors get it right, is just so expansive that no live-action version will get very far, or else everything would be truncated to fit in with the existing sets and budget.

For Your Name(.), even with a sensitive direction, the story's inherent dream-logic would be hard to get right, since it was a delicate balance of all of that in the original film as well.

I'm not going to say that I have any certain expectations about the Gundam show, but it feels like it has the most potential. It's in the well-established genre of space operas, and in a franchise where people already expect the various series to have different continuities and re-tellings, and it isn't all that tied to a Japanese setting or humor style. Unless Skull Island's visuals were 100% Larry Fong, at least it could have some good images.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Only one on that list I'm looking forward to is Gundam and not because I think it'll be particularly good; I just figure it'll have some cool new mech designs that'll get one-off gunpla kits.
I can't imagine One Piece will be better than Cowboy Bebop (which I liked) given Luffy's powers and CGI, and even if I did wind up liking it there's no guarantee Netflix won't cancel it.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I feel like a live-action version of Neverland should be fine if it's just doing the grace field part.

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix Bebop didn't even have the effects budget to show a single space fight and showed their ships maybe a handful of time ever despite them being in almost every episode of the anime. I have no idea how they'll be able to properly convey fights between multiple mobile suits. At least you can get away with them being full CG and they are machinery which is even easier for CG so maybe it won't be so bad

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
it's insane how many misfires Saint Seiya can survive and still remain anticipated by the fanbase.

just 1/4 of the amount of duds would have killed any other series.

maybe people just have that much faith in the second half of Lost Canvas getting animated at some point if anything can get geennlit...

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'd love to live in a world where they pull off Your Name but I have a really hard time envisioning it.

Conversely, I could definitely see 5 Centimeters Per Second getting pulled off, but I don't think anyone has discussed it. Weathering With You also seems a bit easier, as neither are quite as specific as elements of Your Name are.

aidangs

Jan 8, 2019
I just wanna know how live action One Piece is gonna treat the more outlandish character designs that start to show up the further the series goes on, if it gets that far. East Blue doesn't have a ton of them outside of the Fishmen, but like... imagine live action Franky, Apoo, or Ivankov.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
One Piece, My Hero, and Megaman will fail, mark my words.

They already failed Bepop, one of the easiest to adapt. These are too anime to translate to live action, a magnitude higher in difficulty.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
That all sounds god awful.
Just make your Evangelion Hollywood adaptation already you crazy bastards.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Out of all those The Promised Neverland is probably the easiest to not fuck up out of all of them. Until later parts of course.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
really curious how things are going to turn out. I'm rooting for Yuyu Hakusho to be good
It's one of my fave anime series