• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
From the BBC article:

At least 41 people were killed after a Russian plane made an emergency landing and burst into flames at Sheremetyevo airport in Moscow.

One witness said it was a "miracle" anyone escaped the jet, which was carrying 78 passengers and five crew.

Aeroflot, Russia's national carrier, said the plane was forced to return to the airport "for technical reasons", but did not elaborate.

The aircraft, a Sukhoi Superjet-100, departed Sheremetyevo airport at 18:02 local time (15:02 GMT) for the city of Murmansk.

The crew issued a distress signal when "malfunctions" occurred shortly after departure.

After making an emergency landing at the airport, the plane's engines caught fire on the runway, Aeroflot said in a statement.

The crew "did everything to save the passengers," who were evacuated in 55 seconds, the firm said.

Interfax quotes a source as saying the plane's engines caught fire on the runway after a hard landing, not in mid-air as initially reported.

_106807518_moscow_plane640-nc.png

Here is an IMGUR link to all videos/gifs of the plane engulfed in flames during landing process on runway with additional text details.

Edit: All links are removed and I will provide additional information in text form in further edits.

Edit 2: The plane is a Russian-made Sukhoi Superjet100. Here is the plane's profile render

gvoCuAr.png

Current rumour talks about lightning strike, however, no detail has been released thus far with the cause of the malfunction.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't watch that Twitter video in OP if you don't want to be alarmed by others' suffering. Jesus Christ

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Geez. I don't think we need to see the fire.

Awareness of the horror is fine, but those are the last moments of passengers.

Ryder9

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2018
Video/pics of event, spoilered in case people don't want to see; they're not graphic necessarily

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for deleting the Twitter video OP but I clicked it not knowing what it's content was, now I feel absolutely sick to my stomach. Those poor people. That looked and sounded like hell

Was this plane loaded with Russian trolls?

What is this fucking shit? People died. What are you doing?

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
User Banned (3 months): Inflammatory Generalizations, Trolling over a series of posts.
Was this plane loaded with Russian trolls?

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies, again. Twitter link has been removed. I saw it in GIF form originally and did not realize that the tweet had sound. It was far far more horrendous and I should have realized that.
You still have the Imgur link. It's not needed. You have a viewer discretion warning but it's essentially still shit nobody needs to see. We can talk about coverage, but that shit is nasty

Edit: Thanks for removing

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Thanks for deleting the Twitter video OP but I clicked it not knowing what it's content was, now I feel absolutely sick to my stomach. Those poor people. That looked and sounded like hell

I know I can't sorry enough for the shock and I should have done better.

On the glass half full side of things, the stewards did their work with utter efficiency in under a minute to get the survivors out.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the video, while waiting for my own plane to fly to New York. Not the best mindset to get into. I'm incredibly sorry for those people in Russia. I pray for them and their families.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Looks like a major fuck up with ARFF on the ground. They weren't in place for a good 90 seconds after the doors open which with a circuit back is inexcusable.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Here is one silver lining. According to Certification requirements for that plane:

By 21 December 2010, emergency evacuation (completed in 73 seconds, within the 90 imparted, with 98 volunteers and five crew) and rejected takeoff, probing the tires and brakes at maximum energy with no thrust reversal, were completed in Zhukovsky near Moscow, for IAC and EASA certification.[36] On 3 February 2011, IAC granted a Type Certificate.[37] EASA's Type Certificate followed on 3 February 2012, allowing operations in European countries

Contrast that with the real world situation where panic had set due to the fire and despite the chaos the stewards were able to successfully extricate 41 survivors in around 55 seconds. It could have been so much worse. I know these folks are trained for this but nothing prepares people to face something like this in real world.

These folks are absolute heroes.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently people were grabbing their luggage. If that's true, that could have been the difference between life and death for someone, perhaps multiple people on that plane. Just horrible. Like, if you're ever in that scenario - you might be tempted to do it yourself - "Oh it was in my lap anyway" but you just have to focus on what's happening and what you're going to do to get out as quickly and safely as possible. Leave everything. You can replace things. Even medicine or precious possessions. Your responsibility is to the people behind you and every single second counts as this tragedy demonstrates.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
why someone would troll in a thread like this is beyond me.

Apparently people were grabbing their luggage. If that's true, that could have been the difference between life and death for someone, perhaps multiple people on that plane. Just horrible. Like, if you're ever in that scenario - you might be tempted to do it yourself - "Oh it was in my lap anyway" but you just have to focus on what's happening and what you're going to do to get out as quickly and safely as possible. Leave everything. You can replace things. Even medicine or precious possessions. Your responsibility is to the people behind you and every single second counts as this tragedy demonstrates.
I certainly hope that people didn't hold up others from getting off the plane because of some fuckin luggage.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017

Its like the video of the Paradise California fire with the chard remains of a lady that would have probably lived had she not first decided to put on makeup before making a run for it.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd get it if it was a small fire but holy fuck, that thing looks like hell on earth before it even stops.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck, that's terrible. Was the only way out at the front of the plane due to the fire? Because my mind is painting a terrible picture based on those photos.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

That's thing about panic situation isn't it. People's instinct become protecting themselves and their own. With the chaos of it all just bleeding into a whole cacophony of just noise, rapid movement and fear. The stewards definitely faced the hardest task they would ever face in this line of work. I can not even begin to imagine how hard one would have scream over the all the noise and heat, their personal fears notwithstanding.

It is one thing to perish in a plane crash but it is a whole another level of fucked up when you had safely arrived on the land only to be burned or suffocated to death. It is utterly cruel.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's thing about panic situation isn't it. People's instinct become protecting themselves and their own. With the chaos of it all just bleeding into a whole cacophony of just noise, rapid movement and fear. The stewards definitely faced the hardest task they would ever face in this line of work. I can not even begin to imagine how hard one would have scream over the all the noise and heat, their personal fears notwithstanding.

It is one thing to perish from a plane crash but it is a whole another level of fucked up when you have safely arrived on the land only to be burnt or suffocated to death. It is utterly cruel.

I get nervous about it from time to time and there's stuff you couldn't fight. Imagine your wife and kid are a row or two back- the right thing to do is GO. But most of us wouldn't be able to do that rationally.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why someone would troll in a thread like this is beyond me.

I certainly hope that people didn't hold up others from getting off the plane because of some fuckin luggage.

We don't know. This was reporting from cable news and witnesses. For all we know these folks might have just stumbled out clutching their handbags but it's upsetting to think about.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Fuck, that's terrible. Was the only way out at the front of the plane due to the fire? Because my mind is painting a terrible picture based on those photos.

Correct. Below is the passenger deck plan of the plane. From all the images and gifs I have seen, the fire engulfed the rear half of the plane making the rear emergency exit impossible for safe use.

Aeroflot_Russian_Airlines_Sukhoi_Superjet_100-95B.jpg

I get nervous about it from time to time and there's stuff you couldn't fight. Imagine your wife and kid are a row or two back- the right thing to do is GO. But most of us wouldn't be able to do that rationally.

Pretty much. Growing up my parents always made sure to travel in the row, except where there was no alternative. Their motto was, "If we go (die), we go together." Being separated from your family by notable number of rows sounds like a recipe for disaster in an emergency situation. The helplessness alone would trigger anxiety compounding an already bad situation.

Yea, it's terrifying to even think about it.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Just awful. I really hope the reports of people bringing their luggage with them aren't true and that it didn't end up dooming other passengers.

Aeroflot is probably one of the few airlines I'd hesitate flying with given their history, though I guess safety is no longer as much of an issue.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
watching this on CNN and it looks like the plane bounced off the runway when landing, causing the fire. it returned to the airport after a lightning strike.