• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Art direction is excellent and that is a seriously good trailer, but I'm always suspicious of these games which obviously take heavy inspiration from Dark Souls. Especially from a developer/publisher that I've never heard of. Not saying this can't be good, I've just been burned a few times with Souls wannabes so I'm a bit more cautious now.

Announcements are embargoed now? Why this industry gotta be so secretive all the time.

It's called marketing. If they have all of the previews/videos go live at the same time that creates more of a buzz around the game and is likely to get it trending and be more widely discussed.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
untitled-1kvkqa.gif

yes my favorite part of the trailer. want want want

edit: just realized he has like a dagger and a wand? huh

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any questions in here? I work at Playstack on this game. Will try and answer as best I can. Lemme know if I need to be verified
The part about non linear campaign makes this especially interesting. Will the game have an interconnected world similar to the first Dark Souls? How would you say Mortal Shell's gameworld compares to From's game regarding size and scope? (feel free not to answer if it's a bit too soon for this kind of questions)

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
can you give any tidbits to the general gameplay loop, or rpg progression

I don't want to give away too much, but there will be skill trees and upgrades. There are clues in the game as to what you will be doing.

Probably jumped into this thread way too early and should have lurked!

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Looks good but quite derivative... let's see what they did to set themselves apart (If it's good I'll buy it even if it's nothing more than a DS clone tho)

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would love to see an ability where the player explodes like a grenade and mini characters pop out with a sword and shield, cool looking but friendly

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
I don't want to give away too much, but there will be skill trees and upgrades. There are clues in the game as to what you will be doing.

Probably jumped into this thread way too early and should have lurked!

yo thanks no worries dude. dont talk about what your not supposed to and you should be good XD, skill trees are a cool thing to know.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Wow that looks incredible , the voice acting and art direction are top tier. What's the size of the studio making this???

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I'll happily try any coop friendly alternative to the Souls games. I'm a dirty Souls casual, I need my friends all the time. That being said, I hope there's a coop mode to begin with.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
It looks great! Definitely piqued my interest for sure. The world and art direction seems on point. The control scheme and level/weapons system will be important to uncover more of.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Looks really nice.

It's remarkable how many slick-looking UE AA games we're seeing these days from small teams. This seems to have a unique hook as well, curious to see more.

I like the idea of non-linear exploration. That's always a big plus for me.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
So on the game's discord, I asked a dev specifically about EGS exclusivity and the person said this..

So when you add a game onto the Steam page, you're announcing to the world that you're going to do just that. So I'm definitely not sure what answer you're looking for. Our team has added a bit of 'light reading' to the page as well.

And when I clarified to him why i was asking it because some games like metro exodus got removed from steam later on shortly after for a year, so he further talked about it..

Yea, I can definitely understand the concern. We don't have any plans to announce for Epic Games Store at the moment.

So, I think they definitely aren't planning for the game to be an EGS exclusive for now at least.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Looks promising but at the same time most of the recorded footage was a bit weird as far as e.g. camera angles are concerned. Seems like I did not get a great look at how the gameplay perspective will feel like, yet. Editing a lot of short action sequences together can also hide weaknesses.

Again, it does look promising but From Software's execution is top-notch and I'll remain cautious about other, small studios delivering on a similarly satisfying level there.

kappapeachie

Aug 5, 2019
the designs and gameplay is freaking cool! only gripes is the environments but otherwise can't wait to get my hands it.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty cool, I hope it plays well.
Always worried with these games cause it's so easy to screw the combat up
And yes, I'm looking at you Lords of the Fallen

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm it may be a bit more regarding how the stuff was captured in-game. We'll have more gameplay to share in a bit. Any chance you can point to specific time stamps?Will take a look - always good to get feedback

0:49, 1:01, 1:13, 1:14 and 1:16 are good ones to see it imo.

0:49 - 0:50 The enemies animation have a feeling of weight to them. It makes them more believable. The main character makes a dodge roll and is ready to fight in half a second. This feels gamey to me personally. The roll is fine but he stands up so quickly and lowers the sword even faster. It doesn't need to be 2-3 seconds long but if the lowering of the sword could take half a second longer it would be better instantly imo. Even better would it be for the main character to have some weight added to his motions. The enemy is having that but the main character is snapping into the next pressabel input stance a tad to quickly. His/her sword feels weightless (in this animation) in comparision to the enemys weapon.

1:01 His dodgeroll itself is fine again but he's snapping around and dodging away in not even half a second. I understand that the character has good reflexes but imo the player shouldn't be able to dodge this late from an aenemy attack just because the dodge is playing in superspeed. In comparable games the player has to dodge a smidge earlier to be able to get away.

1:13 Again. The block looks and feels awesome but it takes the next animation (weapon ready to fight back) not half a second to jank the playe rcharacters arm into place. Give the animations a bit more time. Nobody want's Red Dead Redemption 2 or The Last of Us loooong animations but a tinybit less super sonic speed would help imo.

1:14 The stab looks sped up again. There' a tiny pause where the character is gathering strength for the strike (standard thing for this kind of attack) but the strike itseld is so fast it feels/looks janky and out of place in contrast to the enemies animations. Even the tiny pause to gather strength feels shorter than in most other games of this type.

1:16 - 1:17 The animation starts a bit slower and ends with a stab to the enemies head. The animation looks awesome but feels/looks like it's getting fast and faster. Not just faster from gathering strength to hitting the enemies head but like it's speeding up all of the way. Not just like playing the animation faster after the build up but like it's getting even faster while he/She's stabbing.

The above is nitpicky as fuuck but it's not meant as negative. I replayed the scenes at least 50 times each to discribe it as best as i'm able.

If i had to say it in one sentence i would say : "The animations of the main character feel/look gamey and sped up at times in contrast to the more weightier enemy animations.".

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It look mighty fine (moreso if its from an indy studio). Feels like a fast and furious version of dark souls, there is no subtlety in that trailer. The designs are very "loud", can be a good thing if handled right.

Is this another game for next gen? or is this the PC version and current gens are going to get lesser versions?

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
So I'm reading the old 2018 article, but ... is this going to be handcrafted levels or procedurally generated? Cause that 2018 article talks about procedurally generated tech.

Things have changed a bit since Dungeonhaven. No procedural generation anymore. Just handcrafted environments/areas. As we went on developing the game, things shifted over slightly in tone and design.

Oct 27, 2017
You know the Dark Souls term is so overused at this point that you can practically not deduce anything from that term alone anymore but this one looks an awful lot like it took inspiration from Dark Souls.
So much infact that you could've probably just have photoshopped a Dark Souls 4 logo in this and it would've made for a pretty good april fools joke.

That said I hope it has enough USPs to differentiate it from Dark Souls, which is the problem most of these clones seem to struggle with.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Things have changed a bit since Dungeonhaven. No procedural generation anymore. Just handcrafted environments/areas. As we went on developing the game, things shifted over slightly in tone and design.

What's the level design like? Many, many (most, in fact) Soulslike games widely miss the mark for me on this aspect, and is my favorite part of the Soulsborne games.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Looks good, but I find the majority of those monster designs to be pretty vanilla.

What's the level design like? Many, many (most, in fact) Soulslike games widely miss the mark for me on this aspect, and is my favorite part of the Soulsborne games.

Excellent point. Nioh is one of the best Soulslike games out there, yet it still was hugely hit and miss with its level design. Sekiro is, in my opinion, the worst From has ever done in that respect, yet it is still heads and tails above the majority of games. It is one of the things that they have truly mastered. Hopefully Mortal Shell's developers are designing their world with the same eye for meticulous detail. That is an aspect that you really need to nail if you are going to make a great Souls game.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
This looks amazing but i have not seen a game that apes hard from Souls be particularly great.