• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
That why its between quotations. Offcourse its can do 4k if the dev wants. But the push that its a 1080p/1440p system. Its kinda weird they went with 4k/30 instead of like 1080p/60
Who's push? These aren't first party devs who could be beholden to marketing on a box. The developers are going to do what the developers want to do. In this case that's 4k 30.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Who's push? These aren't first party devs who could be beholden to marketing on a box. The developers are going to do what the developers want to do. In this case that's 4k 30.

R...right, no one's saying otherwise. You don't need to be defensive, we're just talking about the patch. People are pointing out that not having the 60fps mode (at least in this first iteration) is a bit weird, in the sense that the only real "bottlenecks" re: the Series S vs X are more about framebuffer size and resolution, so it's counter-intuitive.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
R...right, no one's saying otherwise. You don't need to be defensive, we're just talking about the patch. People are pointing out that not having the 60fps mode (at least in this first iteration) is a bit weird, in the sense that the only real "bottlenecks" re: the Series S vs X are more about framebuffer size and resolution, so it's counter-intuitive.
I'm not being defensive but I just don't get how it is counterintuitive. You can use the power of the S to halve the frame rate and keep resolution or downgrade the resolution and double the frame rate. People are just surprised because every other game thus far has chosen the double the frame rate route. I doubt either option is really easier to implement.

Last edited:

ced

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the game was great if it's worth anything. Just finished it recently.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I played through the game on PC and really liked it. First hour was meh but then it started to get pretty intriguing.
People who like Dark Souls but prefer Bloodborne should definitely check this out.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Oh cool! As a huge Souls fan I always wanted to try this and never got around to it. Will pick this up on PS5.

Loving all these late gen games that are getting updates. Is it just me, or is this one of the best generation transitions ever? Obviously if consoles were easier to get it'd be way better. 😉

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Oh cool! As a huge Souls fan I always wanted to try this and never got around to it. Will pick this up on PS5.

Loving all these late gen games that are getting updates. Is it just me, or is this one of the best generation transitions ever? Obviously if consoles were easier to get it'd be way better. 😉

I'd say it is.

Not only is 98% of the previous gen library playable and in many cases, enhanced in some way in the new consoles; we've also gotten an unprecedented amount of cross-gen upgrades for no extra cost. Like, I struggle to remember many games that did this in 2013 / early 2014. Games like Assasin's Creed 4 had an upgrade path on PS4, but I think you had to shell out $10 or something. Games like DMCV or Control, which force you to rebuy the PS5 / Xbox Series version, are outliers.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the hell out of this and this update is probably a good enough excuse to play through it again.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
From mobs to brutal boss encounters in 60FPS
As soon as we were able to get Mortal Shell running on PS5, we noticed immediately how the 60fps frame rate made a huge difference. Each perilous swing of your sword seems so much more fluid now. Even the Ballistazooka – the heavy shoulder-mounted ranged weapon that launches spears – is far more responsive as you aim your crosshairs onto your target.

Explore Mortal Shell with enhanced textures
It was incredibly important to us that Enhanced Edition made the most of PS5's advanced hardware. Our aim was clear to us: provide players with a version of the game that really shows off the PS5's power. With a 4K resolution running throughout and improved textures, we're very happy with the difference, check out the video below to see for yourself.

Textures have been enhanced across every part of the game to make the game feel extra sharp. Water glistens, armor shimmers, and your tarnished seal glows in a sleek new 4K resolution.

Strategic combat with a DualSense controller touch
Mastering the weight and feel of each weapon and piece of armour in Mortal Shell was vital when we were focusing on the development of the game, so when we heard about the capabilities of the DualSense controller we knew it would be a perfect fit for a next-gen version.

We can't wait for you to experience the whispering sounds and heartbeat vibrations resonating from your controller as you approach a new shell, as well as the adaptive trigger feedback when your character takes that final blow and runs out of stamina. Fighting a Brigand ranger for the first time? Get the edge in combat as you feel the haptic feedback of projectiles shooting past – and the added impact if one of those projectiles hits you!

Mortal Shell: Enhanced Edition is available March 4 as a completely free next-gen upgrade for existing Mortal Shell players who have already bought the game on PS4. For new players, this upgraded next-generation version will keep to its last-gen launch price of $29.99 (€29.99 / £24.99).
blog.playstation.com

Mortal Shell: Enhanced Edition comes to PS5 March 4

The upgraded version boasts 60fps, DualSense controller features, 4K visuals and enhanced textures.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
1st embargo i imagine? Cool anyway I'll probably grab this on XSX as 1st half of year is sparce so far.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
60 fps is always very good, looking forward to it!

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I get the Xbox version in the post this morning for £13. Can't wait till the update hits and I can dig in.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Nice boxart btw.:

81BzZ5OSBiL._SL1500_.jpg

amc

Nov 2, 2017
United Kingdom
Recently finished it over on PC. It's a decent game but it's definitely a lite one. I finished it in around 12 hours and tbh I felt it was just getting going as it ended. NG+ seems a little pointless as I'd pretty much discovered the whole map and its secrets already.

I'm all for short, good quality games but this felt like it could have used another area and boss fight to be satisfying.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Prioritizing 4k at 30fps on a console pushed as a 1080p gaming experience is so damn stupid. It's decisions like this that will cause people to question the capabilities of the S when they should be questioning the though processes of some developers.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
Maybe I will do NG+ now, decent game but it felt like it had a very low budget and you can feel that while playing it.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really really hope they reconsider and add a 60fps mode for Series S. Looks like a nice Souls-like game.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Someone was passing footage of this game off as Elden Ring leaks yesterday and it got me hyped, so I'll definitely be nabbing this one in the next couple weeks lol.

Edit: seems I'm not alone haha

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
It's up on PSN.

PS5 version clocks in at barely over 4GB! It was already pretty small, but this one is even more compact. Nice to see a trend of PS5 games being smaller than their last-gen counterparts.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It's up on PSN.

PS5 version clocks in at barely over 4GB! It was already pretty small, but this one is even more compact. Nice to see a trend of PS5 games being smaller than their last-gen counterparts.
Damn, that's pretty cool. I just checked my copy on PC, and it's a bit over 11GB.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is this also the patch that adds RTX features like DLSS and raytracing to the PC version?

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I bought a copy of this after being tricked into thinking it was Elden Ring. If it looked cool enough to be the next From Software game, then it was worth a shot.

How can I tell if I have the enhanced edition installed? I think it just updated over night, but when I load into the game the menu doesn't say enhanced anywhere, and there aren't any video options. I assume it is fine but just want to be sure. Series X if that matters.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
@egg

Had anyone heard where you can actually buy this? Neither Best Buy nor Amazon have it.
Depends on your country. Amazon-US will be selling the retail edition:

Amazon.com: Mortal Shell: Enhanced Edition - Deluxe Set - Xbox Series X : Ui Entertainment: Video Games

Amazon.com: Mortal Shell: Enhanced Edition - Deluxe Set - Xbox Series X : Ui Entertainment: Video Games

Amazon.com: Mortal Shell: Enhanced Edition - Deluxe Set - PlayStation 5 : Ui Entertainment: Video Games

Amazon.com: Mortal Shell: Enhanced Edition - Deluxe Set - PlayStation 5 : Ui Entertainment: Video Games

This is the bonus content of the Deluxe Set btw:

imgwlmj97.jpg

814e05OZTuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
@egg

Awesome, thank you so much!!! Definitely going to pick this up!

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Is this also the patch that adds RTX features like DLSS and raytracing to the PC version?
I don't think they've confirmed one way or another. Looking it up online, I only see references to their announcement that it would be coming in November, but it obviously never did. There's no update on PC today yet.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Sounds like this ain't hitting 60 (and fluctuates a bit) (at least on PS5). Saw a reviewer confirm it and I also noticed it watching some YouTube's of the Enhanced Ed.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
@egg

imgwlmj97.jpg

Canada here, haven't seen it anywhere as of yet.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tested on PS5 beyond the initial level, but at this point the framerate feels like a solid 60 to me. Just going by feel, I don't notice any drops.

It's really nice to have this -- I held off on the original, stopping a couple hours in, because I just didn't want to keep going at 30 fps.

My only real note is about the dual sense features. All of it just feels really out of place to me. Every little thing makes the controller jab me -- Walking over a tin can on the ground will produce a sharp jolt. The trigger resistance thingy on stoneform is neat, I guess, but I honestly would rather go without it. I guess it works as a novelty but for me it makes the controls feel less precise.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
I highly recommend this game.
It plays like a dark souls game, yes. The game offers it's own spin on the genre however.
The mood is a LOT darker though, loved the gloomy atmosphere.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
If it's not consistent 60 i guess xsx version is the way to go for me since I have a vrr tv

any deals on the original version? I assume I can just buy that physical and apply a free update for this?

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bought it on Xbox one X at launch. Refunded 1h after. Frame rate was crap. Will buy and try again on serie x

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
PS5 box art is so good compared to the Xbox.

Series S, should be 1440p 60fps. The console is not meant to go 4K and most of the audience buys the console to play on a 1080p/1440p monitor.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried 10m on serie x. It conforts me that I'll probably won't buy 30fps game anymore. Or very few. On one x I refunded it very fast. 30 FPS and slowdown in the first swamp area. And pop in. This seems stable 60 which is a game changer. Still has pop in though

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Is this stable on series X? It's already been discovered it drops to 50 lot on PS5.
So I won't be getting it there for now..: