• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

www.epicgames.com

Mortal Shell

Mortal Shell is a deep action-RPG that tests your sanity and resilience in a shattered world. Your adversaries spare no mercy, with survival demanding superior awareness and precision. Possess lost warriors, discover hidden sanctums, and face formidable foes.

I'm definitely gonna check it out sometime this weekend.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
downloading now..man i really need my fix of soulsbourne...this and hellpoint, hopefully they can both be decent until the next from soft.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
A 1070 and Ryzen 7 as recommended, this is gonna be either spectacular to look at or an un-optimised mess. Gonna find out right now

Deleted member 19293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's incredibly "inspired" by Dark Souls, but I'm playing with a keyboard and mouse - I am getting fucked up pretty badly.

Oct 25, 2017
Game needs some work. Having rolling be dependent upon first using a (bad) dodge makes it feel both latency-heavy and overall very wonky. The point, of course, is to use the "harden" ability to make up for the lack of being able to spam a roll, which is fine, but that ability has a reasonably long cooldown of sorts, which makes dealing with combo-heavy enemies, or groups of enemies, a big pain. It feels and looks reasonably good when you're just swinging your sword, though I got into trouble multiple times; the UI doesn't exactly frame well the player's stamina, so a lot of times you end up just sitting there thinking "why the fuck am I not moving? Oh. Right."

The level in the demo isn't great. This is not "souls world design", it's rather simple and straight to the point: it's a game primarily about enemy encounters, near as I can tell. There is one secret boss near the start which is kind of a nice surprise until you realize it's a "poison boss fight" -- literally the worst ever. In fact, there's oodles of poison everywhere, which is whatever, but it doesn't fill me with confidence that the Souls inspirations will come from all the good stuff and none of the bad.

The actual boss of the demo, which I didn't beat but came reasonably close to beating, was not great. It felt a little bit like a DPS race, since I just couldn't seem to avoid getting hit by at least 1 thing every time I went in. Good Souls bosses tends to have easily telegraphed punishes that require familiarity and good timing to exploit but I didn't spot any of those here. Running back to the boss felt weird since the boss location is actually just not that far into the level.

Last but not least, the Souls stuff is really on the nose. This is a game that just wants to be called Dark Souls so bad it seems almost mad about it. I get that it's out of love, but there isn't that much reverence for it -- some of the UI stuff seems right out of Souls, like the loading screen stuff. Just irksome.

Right now I'm actually feeling less positive about this than I did before I played it. It's Lords of the Fallen more than Dark Souls. Which may be a plus for some people who need a fix. Hell, I'll probably end up getting it because I need a fix every now and again, and maybe this will be it, but I wouldn't expect it to rise above its station.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they will implement double inverted axis since right now game is unplayable to me with just the option to invert y axis :(

Deleted member 19293

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game needs some work. Having rolling be dependent upon first using a (bad) dodge makes it feel both latency-heavy and overall very wonky. The point, of course, is to use the "harden" ability to make up for the lack of being able to spam a roll, which is fine, but that ability has a reasonably long cooldown of sorts, which makes dealing with combo-heavy enemies, or groups of enemies, a big pain. It feels and looks reasonably good when you're just swinging your sword, though I got into trouble multiple times; the UI doesn't exactly frame well the player's stamina, so a lot of times you end up just sitting there thinking "why the fuck am I not moving? Oh. Right."

The level in the demo isn't great. This is not "souls world design", it's rather simple and straight to the point: it's a game primarily about enemy encounters, near as I can tell. There is one secret boss near the start which is kind of a nice surprise until you realize it's a "poison boss fight" -- literally the worst ever. In fact, there's oodles of poison everywhere, which is whatever, but it doesn't fill me with confidence that the Souls inspirations will come from all the good stuff and none of the bad.

The actual boss of the demo, which I didn't beat but came reasonably close to beating, was not great. It felt a little bit like a DPS race, since I just couldn't seem to avoid getting hit by at least 1 thing every time I went in. Good Souls bosses tends to have easily telegraphed punishes that require familiarity and good timing to exploit but I didn't spot any of those here. Running back to the boss felt weird since the boss location is actually just not that far into the level.

Last but not least, the Souls stuff is really on the nose. This is a game that just wants to be called Dark Souls so bad it seems almost mad about it. I get that it's out of love, but there isn't that much reverence for it -- some of the UI stuff seems right out of Souls, like the loading screen stuff. Just irksome.

Right now I'm actually feeling less positive about this than I did before I played it. It's Lords of the Fallen more than Dark Souls. Which may be a plus for some people who need a fix. Hell, I'll probably end up getting it because I need a fix every now and again, and maybe this will be it, but I wouldn't expect it to rise above its station.

This is 100% dead-on. You can roll outside of that, but it almost doesn't do anything useful. Why am I having to riposte twice to get a hit on these dudes? It's just double the work for nothing. And the timing for it feels way off.

Oct 25, 2017
This is 100% dead-on. You can roll outside of that, but it almost doesn't do anything useful. Why am I having to riposte twice to get a hit on these dudes? It's just double the work for nothing. And the timing for it feels way off.

It's weird that the harden ability doesn't open the enemies up *all* that much. Like, you will buy a few frames with it, but depending on the attack they decide to queue you may still need to disengage, and your only option becomes the less-than-stellar roll at that point because you need to wait on the harden ability. You could attempt to parry, but unless it's one of the trash enemies the timing seems really picky. Certain attacks don't even seem like they are parryable, but I can't confirm that. Actually "moving" out of the way seems reasonably effective with enemies, which I do like -- there is some strategic significance to where you position yourself in the game.

There's one stand-out enemy in the beta who rips swords out of his own body to attack you from afar, and if you get close will engage in close combat with two of them. I loved that enemy, especially because when you deal enough damage he rips his own head off and chucks it at you. It's a brilliant, multi-faceted design -- if the whole demo was filled with stuff like that, I would be so much more on board.

Deleted member 19293

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that the harden ability doesn't open the enemies up *all* that much. Like, you will buy a few frames with it, but depending on the attack they decide to queue you may still need to disengage, and your only option becomes the less-than-stellar roll at that point because you need to wait on the harden ability. You could attempt to parry, but unless it's one of the trash enemies the timing seems really picky. Certain attacks don't even seem like they are parryable, but I can't confirm that. Actually "moving" out of the way seems reasonably effective with enemies, which I do like -- there is some strategic significance to where you position yourself in the game.

There's one stand-out enemy in the beta who rips swords out of his own body to attack you from afar, and if you get close will engage in close combat with two of them. I loved that enemy, especially because when you deal enough damage he rips his own head off and chucks it at you. It's a brilliant, multi-faceted design -- if the whole demo was filled with stuff like that, I would be so much more on board.

I'm glad it's not just me. I'm not here to tell you all that I'm an expert at Soulsborne games, but I've beaten Bloodborne and I've beaten Dark Souls. This can't all be me playing on a mouse/keyboard. The timing for a lot of the better enemies attacks seem questionable at best sometimes. I realize this is a beta, and I'm trying not to judge it overly harshly, because I'm appreciative that the developers put this out there. Maybe this kind of feedback is what they're hoping to get. And trying to remember "Ah yes, I really need to use that harden ability before attacking" seems like a needless addition for most of the enemies so far. You would often be better served by trying to GTFO of the way. So.... What's the point of the harden mechanic during standard combat?

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
the combat feels stiff to me. my character doesn't real as far as dark souls usually allows me to. i'm sure if I dedicated more time to it, i'd get the hang of it though. And the visuals are great. Optimization is great. I'm running full ultra at 90 fps stable. I just can't figure out combat

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
The animations feel floaty and disconnected like every non-FROM game outside of Nioh. The other masters of action combat. Dunno about this one.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Downloading. Hoping I like it the way Peeve did. I think he played it for 14 hours lol

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
I found it enjoyable. Animation feels good, jump attack feels choppy though and parrying feels really clunky to use.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It looks really nice, but I enjoyed playing that a lot less than I expected to. It took me about 20 minutes to realize it's not for me.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely a Souls-like. I'm not particularly good at those to begin with, and this is pretty damn punishing if you run in swinging.. lol. Need to figure out the parry and harden mechanics and the timing.

Loving the art style, though.

Anybody notice how the character gets better at playing the lute the more often you use it? Neat representation of the familiarity mechanic.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Loving it! The aesthetic, sound effects, atmosphere, and tough but fair combat is great!

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Ha, the mushrooms have a regrowth timer. I like how you don't know what items do until you use them. Cool little mechanics like that give me Souls-vibes like all of the unknowns when I first played Demons.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
I played it and it looks and feels great but the parry, roll and harden doesn't work like souls games, they're pretty useless on combat.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
im liking it..even tho its a knockoff, there is some uniqueness to the feel of the game which i always appreciate. interesting world building an some cool art and attacks. i like the nosferatu guys grab move, an getting knocked out of your "sleeve" looks amazing. in combat harden needs to stun more and parry needs to make sense. maybe i just didnt understand it, but the timing of seems jank and it costs its own meter.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I played it and it looks and feels great but the parry, roll and harden doesn't work like souls games, they're pretty useless on combat.

Hmmm, why do you think that? The initial roll has iframes, the second is just for distance, the parry works fine and is how I get life back, harden makes you invincible for one hit, I didn't know you could hold it indefinitely until recently. What's not to like?

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
game feels so sluggish to me. It's probably because I am the knight but swinging the sword feels like it takes forever.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Whew, I love every souls game and this just did nothing for me.

I should put more time into it maybe. But I do not like the harden mechanic at all.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
I hope the level design is just for this beta section, because I don't think I'll be a fan of how linear this is, I want to explore and branch off

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
My first impression is that this beta is stupidly demanding. I have a gtx 1080 and the first area takes 80% of my cards power at 1080p ultra. At 1440p it goes up to 99%.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I love the sound. The big guys have some awesome sounding heavy attacks. Also the sound effects and visual response of walking through the water is great.