• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Lol ridiculous. Fatalities were in way before anything serious was done with the story. An MK without fatalities isn't an MK and everyone but like three of you would be pissed.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I miss the old days when you shared the fatality codes with your friends and discussed how cool they looked and not this bullshit.

I'm getting too old for this shit.

Seriously this. Why do we always need to find the smallest stuff to complain about now.

Things were much easier when you were young. You just enjoyed the game for what it was instead of looking for even the smallest reason to tell others how upset you are.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
I know this has probably been mentioned numerous times on this thread, but Mortal Kombat's entire appeal is it's hyperviolence and its attitude towards it. Blood and gore to MK is like T&A to DOA, except MK is often more tongue and cheek and self aware IMO. The characters even lampshade the wanton bloodlust in their various interactions in the very same game being scrutinized, lol.

Schnee

Oct 25, 2017
VS matches are always non-canon and MK11 is pretty much doing what Injustice 2's multiverses did.
Guy should really stick to his animation critiques.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I mean, having a narrative and some sort of canon is nice in a fighting game but the truth is, nobody really plays fighting games for the story.

Injustice 2 had a fun story that I really enjoyed but after it was done I completely forgot about it and just played the game for the fighting.

It's the same with MK, that's why I don't think this is an issue, most people wouldn't be able to tell you what happened in the previous MK game in terms of story because most people who play fighting games genuinely see the story as a nice added extra, it's not the reason they purchase the game.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
As already been pointed out, how is this different from mirror matches and all other silly video gamey stuff you get in non-canon matches?

Does DBFZ ruin it's narrative cuz you keep blowing up same places over and over with short breaks in between?

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
In all Dragonball games when you have family members go against each other it's always friendly banter, but then you can completely disintegrate them. No different here. This is such a non issue.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but give me a break. They're over-the-top, silly finishers that are Mortal Kombat. Even if you actually genuinely care about that story and character relationships, fatalities don't erase that.

This is where I'm at. It's Mortal Kombat, fatalities are the dna. I guess just don't play MK?

Also had to click off after seeing he's one of those animated avatar YouTube's. Blegh, no thanks.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Video maker should quit video games and start critiquing novels. You aren't going to circumvent the game aspects of games ever. Games are interactive and will never tell one precise narrative no matter how much you try to railroad the player.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
It's a fighting game... while it's true that it creates a weird dissonance, it really doesn't matter in my opinion. Not every game needs to tell a great story, or any story.

Tomma18

Banned
May 29, 2018
So A.B.I. uploaded a video that really puts into words something that been rubbing my the wrong way about Mortal Kombat since X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tam9R6ru38s

They've started really building up character relationships, within the story, so it's always super disconcerting when you can now have characters performing fatalities on their family members. The recent NRS game, as far as I'm aware, seem to totally lack after match banter, so you have them having playful pre-fight exchanges but by there end of the fight there's no personality left in the matchup. One character might quite literally have torn the other into two pieces. I thought it was super weird in X and it's nice to see I'm not the only one that's put off by this.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of the game series I don't' think this is anything that can actually be fixed. It's just going to be an aspect the the games that will feel weirder and weirder as time goes on and they expand the pre-fight interactions. I also wonder if Samurai Showdown will have this issue.

Yet you have no qualm about mid match X-rays , where they literally kill each other but get right back up to fight after the move........you gotta let this one go buddy.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I look forward to the next video where we talk about how Harley Quinn beating Superman makes Injustice 2 unplayable.

Oct 25, 2017
The video isn't about story mode. It's about how character relationships get acknowledged by the pre-fight banter (which happens in VS matches as well) but then that relationship gets essentially tossed to the wayside at the end of the fight with fatalities.
I get the point, it's a little weird, definitely, especially because NRS puts so much effort into all that pre-fight banter. Though I kinda feel this dissonance already starts with the fatal blows (which make no sense whatsoever, that's just gore for the sake of gore).
Just like SugarPunch, I have no idea how to solve that as Fatalities are such an integral part of the franchise. Restricting them for the sake of story would probably not be received very well.
It's a vacous complaint that doesn't realize that an idosyncracy inherent to the design of the game isn't an actual flaw. The character building is accomplished through the story mode and the versus is pre-fight banter is little more than fan-service. This isn't hightlighting a problem it's a lazy intellecutally dishonest non-arguement.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
I remember calling the Club Nintendo hotline (yup im that old) to get the inputs for fatalitys, brutalitys etc for the MK Trilogy on N64. Well to cut it short, no fatalitys dont kill the narrative mainly for whats sayed already a few times. Battling it out in arcade mode isnt story relevant.

OP
OP

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Yet you have no qualm about mid match X-rays , where they literally kill each other but get right back up to fight after the move........you gotta let this one go buddy.
I actually do think X-rays are dumb specifically because they are essentially mid match fatalities.

Or were you directing that comment of the video maker?

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Narratives in Vs in Fighting games really aren't suppose to make sense, which is why it has story mode.I can say the same thing for Halo with Master Chief being the only Spartan to make it out of Reach unharmed but then you jump into multiplayer and see a bunch of Spartans running around killing each other.

You can also fight a mirror clone of your character!

Narrative RUINED
It actually fits MK11's narrative because time travel.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Story mode is the only canon. Johnny Cage straight up refuses to kill Baraka in his chapter in MK9. Fatalities are just a trademark of the series that is kept only in tradicional modes.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Sigh, just stop, what is this nonsense. It's a damn fighting game about murdering people in outlandish ways starring ninjas gods and mystical creatures. I don't care if they start the fight with some preprogrammed statement, it's just a fighting game. I don't understand why some like to block fun, you know there are different modes, you know it's a video game, you know everyone magically lives after the fight. None of this is real. Just enjoy it and don't ruin it for everyone else.

Oct 26, 2017
you can't do fatalities in the story mode and nobody care about the narrative of MK, it's more about the fatalities than anything else

OP
OP

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The amount of people replying with "you can't do Fatalities in story mode," when the content of the video and the replies in this thread make it clear that that isn't the issue being talked about, is baffling.

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I've never gotten very far in a single video game in my entire life going all the way back the Atari 2600 days...

I mean, I just can't restart or continue after my first death, it just doesn't make sense narratively and always takes me out of the game. So that first inevitable death, I just have to stop and never play the game again. It's the only way it feels realistic.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I clicked expecting a thread backfire. Hwy look at that, it's a thread backfire.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As others have mentioned its not really an issue since its not cannon to the story.

What does bother me however is after watching the character reveals for the upcoming game they have gone super over the top with the attacks that lead up to a fatality. Like, I'm all for vicious attacks etc ut when normal moves etc seem to look like fatalities it kind of takes away from the actual brutality of the fatalities themselves.

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What does bother me however is after watching the character reveals for the upcoming game they have gone super over the top with the attacks that lead up to a fatality. Like, I'm all for vicious attacks etc ut when normal moves etc seem to look like fatalities it kind of takes away from the actual brutality of the fatalities themselves.

That I do agree with. The 'Fatal Blows' (X-Ray moves) are just as brutal, of not more brutal than some fatalities. And characters just stand up ald shrug them off.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, Ed Boon should announce that friends can't do fatalities on each other. I'm sure that would go over well.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I mean that's a NetherRealm thing, not a direct issue with fatalities. Injustice and Injustice 2 don't have most of their characters murdering each other (except the Joker) and yet they still end the same as MK, with just a pose and no win quote.

Hell, isn't "ruining the narrative" a bigger problem in that series, since you can have someone with little in the way of powers or training like Captain Cold beat someone with God-like abilities like Superman or Black Adam in a one on one fight, even after being thrown by them through buildings or into gunfire?

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe I'm old grumpy but putting story/relatives/narrative in fighter games is dumb. I whish we could come back to early arcade fighting games where all this narrative crap wasn't necessary. Give me a fighter bios and I'm done.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people replying with "you can't do Fatalities in story mode," when the content of the video and the replies in this thread make it clear that that isn't the issue being talked about, is baffling.
Versus fights are dream matches, and they can be as nonsensical as you want them to be. Brutally dismembering someone minutes after engaging in lighthearted banter is no stranger than mirror matches or wacky alternate costumes or pulling weapons out of hammerspace or any other convention that falls apart the moment you think about it. The premise of the video is a nonissue, and it's so laughably pedantic that it's not even worth engaging with.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
Mannnn I've always felt the exact opposite to you. I LOVE Mortal Kombat, but the story rarely rises above B-movie tier writing or interest to me. MK9 and MKX had some cutscenes making me think "this is really dumb" and I always thought the fans took it too seriously for what it was. Not only that, but the story seemed to eliminate the spooky vibe of the series. In MK1-3, Outworld characters were mysterious which gave the game a certain tone that I like. Now any and all mystery has been revealed. Hard to distinguish, but I've always appreciated MK for its lore, but not its story.

First and foremost, the game is about fun, and narrative comes second. That's how I see it. The moment the vapid cheeseball of a story takes priority over fun is the day I stop playing. BUT that's just a personal opinion. Not saying we shouldn't have a story mode, as that is as fun a fatailities, I'm just saying that a narrative really shouldn't be the point of the series (as is the case for most games) - the point should be fun, and having both fatailies and a story is what people find fun. Also, this closes the case regardless of my personal opinion:

That's why actual NARRATIVE part of Mortal Kombat doesn't have fatalities.

Oct 25, 2017
I know this has probably been mentioned numerous times on this thread, but Mortal Kombat's entire appeal is it's hyperviolence and its attitude towards it. Blood and gore to MK is like T&A to DOA, except MK is often more tongue and cheek and self aware IMO. The characters even lampshade the wanton bloodlust in their various interactions in the very same game being scrutinized, lol.
Not been true for a loooooong time. People enjoy the characters, stories, and single player options for the game. I don't know why people keep trotting out that nonsense sentiment like it has any relation to reality.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. The fatalities are something you watch once or twice and then never bother with again. Wouldn't give a shit if they took them out of versus play entirely.