• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
It's not like it bothers me when Yamcha beats up Goku or Akuma loses to Dan in fighting games. These kind of things just don't matter in fighters.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anybody is disputing that. It's that fact that leads to having these weird interactions of Friendly Banter ---> Horrible Murder
Cartoony murder, you mean. I'd hardly call it horrible. Just treat it how it looks. I don't think it's much different from Tom & Jerry violence. MK's narrative has never been good to begin with. It's actually embarrassingly bad, especially when you consider how often these characters keep coming back like they're all immortal. Who takes this stuff seriously?

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
While I don't see the problem with it... With the production values the game has, it would have been cool if at the end of a family match (if the characters got along cannon wise) they backed out too show that the particular match was just a simulation.

But after the intro there isn't too much special dialog in a match in MK. I think the three intros is well enough until SNK one ups them with match dialog.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I miss the old days when you shared the fatality codes with your friends and discussed how cool they looked and not this bullshit.

I'm getting too old for this shit.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
The self-awareness of the prematch banter for mirror matches and family members makes it amazing though.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
I like this dude's other videos. I couldn't even get through the first 3 minutes of this one.

I rolled my eyes hard when he claims that he's the only one that cares about stories in fighting games. Literally every single person who cares about stories in fighting games say this. It's annoying. People clearly care about them. Even the crappy stories are things people have latched onto.

But yeah, this video is super dumb and unwatchable.

I know for certain he isn't the only person who likes stories in fighting games because I'm the only person that likes stories in fighting games.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anybody is disputing that. It's that fact that leads to having these weird interactions of Friendly Banter ---> Horrible Murder
That comes down to player agency then. The player can choose how aggressively they want to fight. If not, then what's the expectation? Certain characters don't fight each other? Different animations or mechanics for different matchups? It's just not practical, that's not how fighting games work. Dude totally went off the deep end.

Siggy

Dec 12, 2017
It's not like it bothers me when Yamcha beats up Goku or Akuma loses to Dan in fighting games. These kind of things just don't matter in fighters.
CdS6Gyh.jpg

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2019 y'all

Do you want fatalities to be replaced with banter after a match is over or? MK isn't MK without fatalities.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
When ABI

Johnny Cage: "I'm going to murder the shit out of you, my own flesh and blood."

Cassie Cage: "Not if I kill the fuck out of you first, dad!"

Yeah, that's a lot better.

This was probably meant to be a tongue in cheek response but I unironically love this

(It probably didn't help that you picked like, Johnny and Cassie, for your example tbh)

I rolled my eyes hard when he claims that he's the only one that cares about stories in fighting games. Literally every single person who cares about stories in fighting games say this. It's annoying. People clearly care about them. Even the crappy stories are things people have latched onto.

He didn't claim to be the only one that cares, just that he feels like he is. And I don't see a problem with him prefacing his opinion with that at all, there are way more people that are completely dismissive of stories in fighters than there is the opposite (this thread even has a few examples here, here and here) and most of his viewers aren't necessarily on the same page as him (as fighting game animation =/= fighting game stories)

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
So, if I correctly understand this guys problem, he doesn't like how the banter before versus fights often seems friendly or casual but can end with violent murder. Now obviously these fights are not cannon, as fatalities are only performed in very specific ways in the cannon story modes since MK9. So his problem isn't with the actual narrative being disrupted, but the tonal dissonance that can be present in versus matches.

Now, this really feels like a nitpick. Fighting games have almost always had allied characters that could be forced to beat the hell out of each other. I understand MK deals in extremes that other games do not, but the principle is the same. Likewise, these matches are decidedly not cannon, and as such can be rationalized by fan theory you want to come up with.

I really don't understand what this person wants Netherrealm to do. If you don't want the tonal dissonance then skip the pre fight interaction, or don't perform the fatality. If you want a mode where fatalities aren't even an option, unless it makes story sense, then you have story mode. It feels like there are several answers to his problem already in place. Also, if I'm not mistaken, this game is rumored to have a mercy system as well based on some trophy leaks. So it really sounds like this person is looking for a reason to criticize this game.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Why would anyone favor the narrative of all things in a spectacle oriented fighting game? Lol.

Low quality clickbait.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Sure I write fantastic dialogue, but there goes your narrative consistency argument.

The only argument I've made is "don't have bantz that make it sound like the characters are just sparring"

I don't have a problem with relatives killing one another or funny interactions that are just taking the piss.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Thanks.

Judging by the amount of people whose replies simply revolve around "you don't do Fatalities in story mode." I'm going to assume most people just didn't watch the whole video.

In fact

Yeah, that seems to be the case.
I did.
The thing is that's what the story mode is for.

Cherrypicking Mortal Kombat, when literally every fighting does the same and in most cases worse, because at least with MK the narrative is there for those that care.

Those that care also separate the cannon, to the fights in versus.

Going back to the older MKs were Kitana and Mileena were twin sisters and the main bad guy Shao Kahn was their father...except when you finished the game it turned out they weren't twins and Shao Kahn wasn't their father...then to have Kitana fight her actual mother (Sindel) in UMK3.

Or Killer Instinct were Orchid and Jago are siblings... King of Fighters... Street Fighter...Dead or Alive.

Hence why the story modes are the "solution", if done well.

The video would be better if focused on most fighting games.

Dagobert Duck

Oct 28, 2017
This is a really weird argument to have.
So it kills the narative when a character in final fantasy dies midcombat and you got to revive them
It kills the narrative when Mario falls into the lava and dies, and you just respawn in the beginning of the level, but when Bowser falls into the Lava he comes back as Dry Bones Bowser...
Link get brutally assaulted by a Hinox, gets thrown, ragdolls around, eats some mushrooms and doesnt have any broken bones...

Its videogames

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
The dissonance in MK has always been part of the fun. For the same reason I wish they'd bring back friendships as well.

Oct 27, 2017
This guy again?

Seriously what does he want? For Johnny Cage to not commit fatality whenever someone from his family on screen? Why would they do it in a non canon mode?

All it would lead to is extra work for the developers and people being mad about freedom being takes away. He should just stop trying to like MK, it is not for him.

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Ah come on... This is just another one in the series "complain about MK just for the reason to complain about MK". Fatalities on characters that are friends or family kill the narrative but a match like Johnny Cage vs Johnny Cage is ok and doesn't kill the narrative?

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
That sounds like a Molydeux tweet.

"Imagine a Mortal Kombat where, once a character has been fatalitied, they are removed and deleted from the game."

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People tried to pass this off when MKX came out and they were waved off for similar reasons. Regular versus matches are not canon, deaths don't count in that game mode. And I'm not surprised to see this Abi guy made another video shitting on NRS.

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
Dude, it's Mortal Kombat. It's sillyness and stupidity is why the game works. You've got immortal elder gods fighting movie stars, ripping eachothers heart out, tearing skin off their bones. Not only shouldn't a human be able to take a hit from an Elder God and survive, none of the characters could survive what actually happens during a fight and keep going. The MK universe doesn't really adhere to strict rules, it's just a balls out ultraviolent extravaganza. Just look at this recent interview with Ed Boon:

When asked about continuity, or story consistency he tells the interviewer that he made it up on the spot. Multiple times. Netherrealm knows it's franchise really well. MK would break down if the franchise adhered to stricter rules. It just can't. It renders the OP's post mute to me. It's just totally irrelevant.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
If you're gonna make me choose between MK's narrative and Fatalities, it's an extremely, extremely easy decision.

And it ain't the narrative.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Is that really any weirder than two players picking the same character to fight against themselves - just with different colored shirts on?

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think it is unrealistic how much they fuck each other up in the x-ray moves and just get up! What's that all about?!

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
I think it is unrealistic how much they fuck each other up in the x-ray moves and just get up! What's that all about?!

I feel like this is a weird hangup to have as well, considering characters can take 20 gunshots to the head before losing a round, after which they'll get up completely fine to fight another round